12 tips for practice from Wynton...

GrumpyCoyote

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I saw this over on another board and had to immedietly steal it and repost. I couldn’t agree more with the list, unfortunatly it's hard for me to do them all.

Number 7 really jumps out at me, as does 9...

Originally from Wynton Marsalis:

1. Seek out private instruction. It could take years to figure out what a good teacher could show you quickly.

2. Write/work out a regular practice schedule. Always include the fundamentals.

3. Set realistic goals. Chart your development.

4. Concentrate when practicing. Don't just "go through the motions".

5. Relax and practice slowly.

6. Practice what you can't play - the hard parts.

7. Always play with maximum expression. Play as if you are singing it.

8. Learn from your mistakes. Don't be too hard on yourself.

9. Don't show off. Expression, not tricks or gimmicks.

10. Think for yourself. Respect your teacher, but think things through for yourself.

11. Be optimistic. There is nothing worse than pessimism coming out of an instrument.

12. Look for connections between your music and other things. Try to find concepts or ideas that connect with each other.

Grumpy, I'm printing that out and putting it on my music stand right now. Thanks for stealing that.

Nice one, Grumpy. Thanks for sharing this.

Could I add some from Jake as related tips?
(It may have been posted before, though...)

It's available at: http://www.jklub.jp/page/index.php?mode=page_list&cate_id=C12

1. Change your strings at least once every 2 months.

2. File the finger nails of your strumming hand and use a buffer to really make them smooth. You'll get a better tone when you pick and strum!

3. Keep the nails on your other hand really short. It'll be easier to hold your chords.

4. Practice playing really soft/quite and be very gentle with the strings. This will help you with your control and dynamics.

5. Work on one hand at a time. For example, if you're learning a new chord progression, practice holding the chords first without strumming. Then once you get that down, then add the other hand.

6. Play songs that make you happy! That way you'll always be inspired to practice!

7. Make sure to take breaks during your practice sessions! Don't practice for more than an hour without taking a 10 minute break. Your muscles need time to rest. Also, if your fingers get too tired and you can't concentrate, you'll start developing bad habits.

8. Don't get frustrated. If you start feeling discouraged or angry because you can't play a song, just take a break and rest for a while. Remember, playing your instrument should be fun and relaxing.

9. If you're really having a difficult time learning a song, just break it down to the basics. Work on short segments. Just practice one measure over and over. Then add the second measure. Then later add the third. Keep going until you've got the whole song down.

10. Try to practice everyday. Even if you only have five minutes. As your finger muscles develop, you'll find yourself learning a lot quicker.

1. When strumming, position your right hand so that your finger makes contact with the strings between the 12th and 14th fret.

2. Always wipe your ukulele down after long practice sessions...especially the neck of the instrument.

3. Listen carefully to every note/sound that you make.

4. Practice everything really slow.

5. Play songs that make you feel good/happy!!

Cheers,
Terry
http://www.youtube.com/TerryUkes

Thanks for posting these. Really useful for us beginners. I am sure we all try and work out our own practice routines, but with no advice it is just plain guesswork.
Great stuff.

This is why I like this place.:D

Hmm. But they all missed the line about the glass of wine during practice... okay, okay, it COULD be 100% agave tequila, too.​

thanks for this, sometimes i overlook things on the list, gonna print it out :)

Thanks for posting this! Just what me and my daughter playing uke needs and my wife playing guitar needs. I'm going to do a poster printing of this and post in my studio! :)

• Record, and play back, yourself during your practice sessions.

I haven't seen that one mentioned in the lists provided. You always sound different in your head as you are playing than you do to others listening.

• Record, and play back, yourself during your practice sessions.

I haven't seen that one mentioned in the lists provided. You always sound different in your head as you are playing than you do to others listening.

:agree:
Thanks for posting all the great practice tips. I also agree with the suggestion to record yourself playing to listen to later.

I picked up a stereo mic. (not an expensive one - ebay, $15) for my ipod nano and use that to record with. It's interesting especially to listen hours or days later to yourself playing. And sometimes I find that I sound like I really need to work on something (that is, I kinda' sucked!) - but there's also times when you think you don't sound good, but on the recording you sound damn good!

Try it, you might be surprised, and it'll also show you where you need to focus more during practice.

7. Always play with maximum expression. Play as if you are singing it.

As an adjunct to that... it's also useful to try to learn the lyrics of any songs you're playing as an instrumental (if the song has any lyrics, that is). Run those lyrics through your head as you play the melody.

It helps with expressiveness and also with keeping your place in the song. :D

JJ

Two approaches that have been invaluable with every instrument I ever learned:

- Play along with a metronome, cd, drum machine or other solid rhythm reference at least some of the time. It is very likely that your sense of rhythm is not developed to its fullest potential. Many beginners - even some veterans - either rush or drag the beat just a little. Me? I tend to rush it if I'm not alert.

- Practice new stuff slowly. Only speed up when you can play slowly without errors. Increase speed gradually. As you get it down tight at one tempo, notch it up a wee bit. Anything in your repertoire that you often screw up would probably benefit from being revisited at a slower tempo. Work your way back up to speed gradually as if it were a new piece.

[/:2cents:]

Many beginners - even some veterans - either rush or drag the beat just a little. Me? I tend to rush it if I'm not alert.

I'm guilty of that too. I definitely need to bust out the ol' metronome more.

One good metronome trick--especially when playing swing tunes--is to set it at half the tempo, and play so that the click is on the upbeats:

Code:
Instead of this...

click  click  click  click
 1      2      3      4

Do this...

click          click
 1      2      3      4

JJ

Top Bottom