Kala Reds-my new favorite strings

ukulelearp

Reaction score
Hi, I ordered two sets of Kala Red strings. One set was for a laminated Koa Tenor, and the other for a Mahogany-topped Ohana concert. I'll list out the other strings I've tried on these ukuleles: Martin, GHS, Aquila, Worth Browns, Fremont Blacks, and D'adarrio. I have to say, the Kalas are easily my favorite out of all the other strings I've tried.

I'm not sure how to describe it, but they seem a lot less 'harsh' than the Aquilas. The tension is great on them: they're the first strings I've tried that I can bend easily and still get good volume out of. They both have nylon-wound C and E strings. The texture is definitely a bit odd at first, but they sound great. I'd heard others complain about the guitar-like 'scratching' noise, but when you're playing you can barely even hear it above the music.

My only complaint is that for some reason the C string is a bit short. For some reason it's just not quite as long as the others, but it still fit and strung up fine.

Sorry for the long post, but before buying them I searched and didn't find too much helpful info. I was hoping this could help. Thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your experieces and insights. It's all helpful.

I've been meaning to give them a try.

Mahalo,

I like these too. Mine haven't lasted as long as Aquilas, though.

The tone on the nylon-wound E string is amazing---I wish they had a set full of these!

I completely agree! The feel of them is great. The attack isn't too harsh, has a full, warm tone, and the physical feel of them is great too! I like them lots.:D

...and they just look cool too. ;)
I got a set on my Fluke and they look and sound awesome.

Hi, I ordered two sets of Kala Red strings. One set was for a laminated Koa Tenor, and the other for a Mahogany-topped Ohana concert. I'll list out the other strings I've tried on these ukuleles: Martin, GHS, Aquila, Worth Browns, Fremont Blacks, and D'adarrio. I have to say, the Kalas are easily my favorite out of all the other strings I've tried.

I'm not sure how to describe it, but they seem a lot less 'harsh' than the Aquilas. The tension is great on them: they're the first strings I've tried that I can bend easily and still get good volume out of. They both have nylon-wound C and E strings. The texture is definitely a bit odd at first, but they sound great. I'd heard others complain about the guitar-like 'scratching' noise, but when you're playing you can barely even hear it above the music.

My only complaint is that for some reason the C string is a bit short. For some reason it's just not quite as long as the others, but it still fit and strung up fine.

Sorry for the long post, but before buying them I searched and didn't find too much helpful info. I was hoping this could help. Thanks!

Oh, and what do they look like on the instrument? I'd love to see a photo... please...

Here we are:

Attachments

• Photo 1.jpg
    Photo 1.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 174
  • Photo 2.jpg
    Photo 2.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 140
  • Photo 3.jpg
    Photo 3.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 137
This thread inspired me. I just ordered a set for my cigar box uke.

Yes, curse you! I am enjoying these Fremont Blacklines and was considering buying Worth Browns for the next set on this Mainland, but now I'm itching to try the Reds as a direct (pronounced dye-wrecked) result of this thread.

I have restrung both my kala archtop tenor and hudson concert with these and i do agree that they are by far the best i have had on both.They are also very easy on the fingers if you suffer as I do after playing for awhile.The wound strings do feel a little odd for awhile but are great when you settle them down,they are very hard to get a hold of tho,could use an outlet in the UK please anyone

What make is the uke in he pictures? I see the hula girl on the label, but I can't read the brand. Very pretty!

I like the idea and your opinion of the Reds.

Do you think they would be too hard on a Flea with a plastic fretboard?

Those ukes look real fine.

I like the idea and your opinion of the Reds.

Do you think they would be too hard on a Flea with a plastic fretboard?

Those ukes look real fine.

I'd read somewhere that they're fine on Fleas/Flukes because they're wound nylon, not metal.

I have to restring my Mainland tenor and have a set in my case that I had planned on using. Now, I can't wait to get those babies on it. Just finding the time to do it. I know it will take me a while as this will be the first time I've tried to restring my uke. Thanks for the info.

Top Bottom