PDA

View Full Version : Introduce Yourself!

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8

Dino
04-14-2008, 10:41 PM
Hey UU,
Wow.....I have 120 posts and don't believe I have'nt introduced MYSELF. I've been playing uke for maybe the past 2 years. I live in Mililani Mauka in Central Oahu! All self taught. I'm basically a singer/strummer. I can barely pick anything (slow fingers). Anyway, the last time that I played uke before 2 years ago was in 5th grade....like 197* something...hahaha. Fortunately, I've been involved with music all through my life....from intermediate to high school band, a mobile disc jockey, a nightclub disc jockey (Annabelles at the top of the Ilikai Hotel), and amatuer singer learning falsetto self taught. I was fortuante enough to had been selected to compete in the Frank B. Shaner Falsetto contest, but never placed. Oh well.

The reason I started up on the uke again, was due to the fault of a Policeman friend of mine. Oh, I work for the Honolulu Police as a Dispatcher. Anyway, he used to work in my office and all we would do is talk about all day long was music and the gigs he plays. He would come to work with his music and have to memorize sets depending on the gigs he had to do. Thats all it took for the fire to ignite. From that point I would start bringing a uke to work, play during my lunch break, or even on the drive home (at stop lights mind you!) hahahaha.

So for right now, my buddy is assigned to the road and I'm still in the office. I'm the only one that plays or sings on my watch at the office. There is a girl that sings fricken awesome and plays guitar and uke like nobodys businsss but she is on a different watch. So when shes coming to work, I'm on the way home.

Thanks to the founders of UU for creating this site for ukulele enthusiasts to go.....btw.....visit Tropical Storm Hawaii for your music sheet needs.

Aloha

funkycarnivore
04-16-2008, 11:23 AM
Hey folks, first post here.

Anyway, I'm f. carnivore from southern California. I've been playing electric bass (sometimes professionally, often amateurishly) for about eleven years, and I also dabble in acoustic guitar, resonator guitar, and mandolin. Finally decided to pick up a uke after checking out some Fleas at Old Town Music in Pasadena. I found a nice deal on a used Pono PKCE and now I'm on my way! Glad to be here!

Plainsong
04-16-2008, 11:51 AM
I also did the HS band thing, and one kind soul in band even taught me mellophone well enough that I could do a season of drum corps. It wasn't until my senior year or HS that I learned, ps - you can sing and you enjoy it more, so I started on that track relatively but not hopelessly late. And then the voice is actually what became my major instrument.

I've done a few things with that, but then suddenly shutting the door on it didn't seem like such a horrible thing when I met my future husband. :)

JoeyJr858
04-16-2008, 12:32 PM
What's up everyone...

my name is Joseph Villena, Jr. Most people know me as either J.J. or Joey or just Joe. whichevahz...

anyhow, grew up in Pearl City. They didn't offer uke at my 2 schools till intermediate (Hawai'i's version of jr high... lol) but my pops retired and we headed to SoCal. So unfortunately I left without learning uke... so missing the island life, I found poly's out here. There's so many!!!! and now many are my good friends! Along w/ the great new friends... came my reintroduction to the ukulele! AW YEAH!!! :D

so... here's the bio breakdown, In high school, learned marching and mallet percussion, after H.S. taught H.S. percussion for 14 years (4 of it teaching drum corps percussion). Self taught drumset; jammed Rock, Metal, Reggae and now I'm in an R&B band (see my myspace page for clips). :D Actually, I used to drum w/ DOM from TRIBAL THEORY... great bro! Jammin band... anyhow.... Jumped in plenty Halau's in SoCal from Daygo to L.A., emphasis on music. Fortunately I've had INCREDIBLE instruction growing up... now I'm sharing the wealth to the best of my abilities! I teach ukulele basics at the Pacific Arts Dance Studio (www.pacificartsds.com) in San Diego (next to the Miramar base; now Marine Corps Base). JUST basics! =) I'm not Aldrine or Jake status, but I can def. work your fundamentals and music reading and writing! So yeah, on my 2nd round of students at the studio! Come out if anyone's interested. Pretty sweet! Oh and if you wanna learn Tahitian drumming... I offer that too! hehe

Overall, UU is a great source for all interested! I may teach basics, but I learn more and more everyday, especially through this site! Much mahalo's.
the UU get's nothin' but mad respect!

Oh, and I'm always down to network, so... feel free to holla!

Aaauuuurrrryyyyeee,
Jj
:cool:

megamatt
04-16-2008, 12:41 PM
I am brand new to the ukulele scene. I play the piano, but it's REALLY hard to take to get togethers. I have about 9 friends who play guitar so I wanted to do something different, so I ordered myself a cheap little Kala and off we go. Hopefully it will help me bring some sunshine to dreary Michigan. I love the site and can't wait till the next batch o' t-shirts gets printed up. Thanks for a super site and looking forward to the lessons!

ELEVATED THOUGHT
04-16-2008, 06:15 PM
wuddup everyone.
my name is jd and i live in daly city, ca
i have always loved the ukulele but have never bought one until recently.
i've been playing ukulele for exactly one week and im hooked!

Ame
04-16-2008, 06:23 PM
wuddup everyone.
my name is jd and i live in daly city, ca
i have always loved the ukulele but have never bought one until recently.
i've been playing ukulele for exactly one week and im hooked!

JD!!!!! <3 glad you joined. :D

Bonteal
04-16-2008, 06:46 PM
I play many instruments but the uke is special to my heart because it loves me in return. I enjoy writing music on the ukulele, it's very forgiving when rules are broken. My new go to cover song is Robert Johnson's 'They're Red Hot', I learned it from a really cool guy on You Tube. Ciao for now.

marko dolan
04-17-2008, 05:37 AM
hello folks,
I'm marko, been playing ukulele about a year, just found the underground.
happy to be here.

Tonya
04-17-2008, 06:59 AM
I've been reading posts and enjoying the information here for the past few months but figured, since I'm an "old" lady of 50 on the mainland (and my playing is enthusiastic, but not exactly skilled!) I didn't really fit the "demographics" of most of you and I didn't want to dilute the group's "feel." I've finally decided that by lurking I was absorbing all your energy and info but not really giving anything back. So I've registered--and hope I'll have something to offer as help for someone at some point.

I've been playing for almost four years, but my skill level is still at the early intermediate level. I understand closed position chords but haven't yet incorporated them into my playing. I attend ukulele festivals regularly (13 in the past few years) and I cherish the camaraderie, the jamming and the joy of learning from others at the festivals and workshops. As a result of going to those, I've been lucky enough to take classes from Herb Ohta, Jr., Bryan Tolentino, Byron Yasui, Benny Chong, Daniel Ho--and even a private lesson from James Hill. My skill level doesn't reveal all this great input, though!

I'm lucky enough to call Dominator a friend (I'll see him next week at the Northern California Ukulele Festival at Hayward--are any of you going to be there, too?) as well as BruddahMark.

I'm stuck in a really rural area of Northern California so I decided to "grow my own" group of fellow ukulele players and started a little ukulele group here in our county. I teach a free "beginning" lesson at the start of each meeting (I figure even I can teach a basic strum and C, G7 and F!) and then we play/sing/strum a variety of tunes that group members bring in. My personal favorites are Hawaiian (contemporary as well as traditional).

I look forward to learning more--and sharing with others, if I have anything to offer). This is a forum with lots of good feeling and information. Thanks for providing it!

heyjay820
04-17-2008, 07:02 AM
Name: Johnvincent(yes thats my full first name)

Well it all started off when i came back from iraq, i just had some down time so i picked up a guitar and tried learning. And after about a month and a half I saw a really cheap mahalo ukulele and decided to try it, i immediately fell it love with it then I got me a nice epiphone uke =]

seeso
04-17-2008, 09:05 AM
hello folks,
I'm marko, been playing ukulele about a year, just found the underground.
happy to be here.

Happy to have you here, Marko. Welcome.

I've been reading posts and enjoying the information here for the past few months but figured, since I'm an "old" lady of 50 on the mainland (and my playing is enthusiastic, but not exactly skilled!) I didn't really fit the "demographics" of most of you and I didn't want to dilute the group's "feel." I've finally decided that by lurking I was absorbing all your energy and info but not really giving anything back. So I've registered--and hope I'll have something to offer as help for someone at some point.

I've been playing for almost four years, but my skill level is still at the early intermediate level. I understand closed position chords but haven't yet incorporated them into my playing. I attend ukulele festivals regularly (13 in the past few years) and I cherish the camaraderie, the jamming and the joy of learning from others at the festivals and workshops. As a result of going to those, I've been lucky enough to take classes from Herb Ohta, Jr., Bryan Tolentino, Byron Yasui, Benny Chong, Daniel Ho--and even a private lesson from James Hill. My skill level doesn't reveal all this great input, though!

I'm lucky enough to call Dominator a friend (I'll see him next week at the Northern California Ukulele Festival at Hayward--are any of you going to be there, too?) as well as BruddahMark.

I'm stuck in a really rural area of Northern California so I decided to "grow my own" group of fellow ukulele players and started a little ukulele group here in our county. I teach a free "beginning" lesson at the start of each meeting (I figure even I can teach a basic strum and C, G7 and F!) and then we play/sing/strum a variety of tunes that group members bring in. My personal favorites are Hawaiian (contemporary as well as traditional).

I look forward to learning more--and sharing with others, if I have anything to offer). This is a forum with lots of good feeling and information. Thanks for providing it!

Hi Tonya. Glad you decided to register. I'm sure you'll have lots of useful information for us. Please don't be shy!

Well it all started off when i came back from iraq, i just had some down time so i picked up a guitar and tried learning. And after about a month and a half I saw a really cheap mahalo ukulele and decided to try it, i immediately fell it love with it then I got me a nice epiphone uke =]

Johnvincent, welcome to the boards, sir.

I salute you for your sacrifices made for our country.

Plainsong
04-17-2008, 09:15 AM
Hey Tonya, bar chords are my nemesis as well, and it's a real trick for me if I can add any finger-picking into a song, and my fingers don't yet go much past the 4th fret (exception to these rules is the 12-bar blues riff in the tabs section here), but for all that I've seen more progress and had more fun on the uke than with guitar.

So you can sit in the back with me and we can strum away happily on our open chords! :D

And welcome back, John. There's actually a group whose sole mission is to get ukes out to soldiers in Iraq. It started with sending them to a group out of Hawaii, and then it just expanded from there. Ukes for troops (http://www.ukesfortroops.com)

I agree with you on the uke though. It just suits me better than guitar. I checked it out because of the 4 strings and smaller neck, and I stayed for the sound and the enjoyment of it.

Jacman Rasta Bicycle
04-17-2008, 09:40 AM
howdy,
got the link from another ukulele BB. looks like a nice place to hang out. i was going to lurk for a while, but i posted, so i thought i'd introduce myself.

i post elswhere as superfly or foolish jac, so some of you might know me.

i like long walks on the beach, but i live in hell, so that's out.
i write poetry (Haiku/Tanka/Senryu) some of it not bad.

my musical heros are (not in any order):

Bruddah Iz, The Beatles, The Flaming Lips, Bob Dylan, Curtis Mayfield (dig the avatar/handle), Marvin Gaye, The Grateful Dead, The Beach Boys, Uncle Moe Keale, the heros of ROCK THAT UKE: Henious Rynes, Carmaig deForest, Oliver Brown.

i read comics, listen to LPs and drink beer. sometimes all at once.

see ya in the funny papers...;)

seeso
04-17-2008, 11:09 AM
howdy,
got the link from another ukulele BB. looks like a nice place to hang out. i was going to lurk for a while, but i posted, so i thought i'd introduce myself.

i post elswhere as superfly or foolish jac, so some of you might know me.

i like long walks on the beach, but i live in hell, so that's out.
i write poetry (Haiku/Tanka/Senryu) some of it not bad.

my musical heros are (not in any order):

Bruddah Iz, The Beatles, The Flaming Lips, Bob Dylan, Curtis Mayfield (dig the avatar/handle), Marvin Gaye, The Grateful Dead, The Beach Boys, Uncle Moe Keale, the heros of ROCK THAT UKE: Henious Rynes, Carmaig deForest, Oliver Brown.

i read comics, listen to LPs and drink beer. sometimes all at once.

see ya in the funny papers...;)

Yo, Superfly. Welcome. Curtis Mayfield and comic books? You have good taste, my friend.

ukulele-antihero86
04-17-2008, 11:55 AM
Howzit, I am ukulele-antihero86. I'm from 96786, 808. And if you have know idea what that is, it's Wahiawa, Hawaii!!!

I first played the uke in elementary school, they had a club where you could borrow their many ukes and the teachers would teach us some songs. It never went pass the 5th fret though.(real easy songs).

After elementary school my parents did not want to buy me my own uke and they threw away all the song sheets! Yup...damn.

In college now and I finally bought my own ukulele, it's a Kala Makala.

I'll see you all around, and I am not the Guitar Hero, I'm the ukulele-antihero, born in 1986.(hence the name).

paw123los
04-17-2008, 08:00 PM
Hello everyone !

My name is Pawel and I live in Poland. Please excuse my English - its not perfect
I play ukulele for about a half year now. I also play classical guitar - I used to learn it in music school and finished with classical guitarist diploma. One day I saw Jake playing "While my ukulele gently weeps" on Youtube and that's how it all started.
I have two Lanikai ukuleles LU-21T and CK-TEQ, they are not top line models but I like them, I'm thinking about getting myself a Pono, but it is very hard to buy uke in Poland. My both Lanikais were bought in Germany.
Just wanted to say Hello to You Guys !

pipOwned
04-17-2008, 08:26 PM
What's up everyone!

Names Phil, family and friends call me Pipo (pee-po). Born in Sacramento,CA in 1984. Moved to Waipahu,HI late 1987 when I was 3. Moved back to Sacramento,CA in 1998. UKE-less, BROKE and homesick i've never got a chance to pick up an UKE and learn how to play. I now reside in Elk Grove,CA 2 minutes literally south of Sacramento. I've been wanting to learn how to play since I was a kid but mom was too broke and UKEs were to expensive for people to give away. I have been back and fourth from Sac to Hawaii maybe 4 times and it's killin me. All i have to rely on to remind me of home is the L&L BBQ down the street and all the old timers that jam at the local Hawaiian Style Grill out here in Elk Grove. I now have a 7 month old daughter and it's always been a dream of mine (wierd moment) to be able to sing her to sleep with an UKE or even calm her down with and UKE. I listen to a variety of music but the distinct sound of the UKE she knows. like she knows my voice and for me to be able to sooth her with the beautiful sound of an UKE would be soul warming....ANYWAYS i'm rambling its an intro thread not a life story thread..sorry...

blessings,
_pipo

Ame
04-17-2008, 09:23 PM

Oh wow that's awesome! I could've used a free beginning lesson hehe
I don't know if I'm going to the Festival in Hayward yet.. I'd like to though.
Oh and, Welcome to the boards! :)

Oh cool someone else from San Leandro! haha good times.
haha 'Johnvincent', Filipino? x]
Dang, Iraq, I have a cousin out there. He came back and went back. ><;;
Well cool stuff, cool to see people in my area who play the uke.
Welcome and enjoy the boards! :)

What's up everyone!
I now have a 7 month old daughter and it's always been a dream of mine (wierd moment) to be able to sing her to sleep with an UKE or even calm her down with and UKE. I listen to a variety of music but the distinct sound of the UKE she knows. like she knows my voice and for me to be able to sooth her with the beautiful sound of an UKE would be soul warming....ANYWAYS i'm rambling its an intro thread not a life story thread..sorry...

blessings,
_pipo

Aw, I think that's cute. haha
And Welcome to the boards to you too! :D

Kanaka916
04-18-2008, 07:11 AM
. . . All i have to rely on to remind me of home is the L&L BBQ down the street and all the old timers that jam at the local Hawaiian Style Grill out here in Elk Grove. I now have a 7 month old daughter and it's always been a dream of mine (wierd moment) to be able to sing her to sleep with an UKE or even calm her down with and UKE. I listen to a variety of music but the distinct sound of the UKE she knows. like she knows my voice and for me to be able to sooth her with the beautiful sound of an UKE would be soul warming....

blessings,
_pipo
Eh, we still get together on Fridays, da same bunch of old timers and always get one or two extra ukes so come down, no shame Brah! You know us, we make n e kine - tak story, sing & play little bit and just have good fun. If you wondering who dis is, I da one wit da pony tail.

Valerie
04-19-2008, 02:15 AM
Hiya!

I'm Valerie and I live in Hampton Roads, Virginia. I've never played the ukulele before, but I have played classical guitar for about 9 months. Just bought my first ukulele and it's in the mail!

I've decided to try and learn the uke because I'm travelling this summer and lugging around my guitar didn't seem like a great idea. Then, I've always loved the sound of the ukulele- so it seemed a good fit.

This site looks awesome and I'm sure it will be very helpful when I attempt to play.

Schwartz
04-19-2008, 04:27 AM
Hey everybody, Schwartz here! I'm new to UU but I've been a member of Ukulele Cosmos and FleaMarketForum for a year now.

You can catch me on Youtube (http://youtube.com/hankpiece) and also on the Midnight Ukulele Disco (http://ukuleledisco.com/iancomplete) and The Ukulele Cabaret. (http://ukulelecabaret.com/hankpiece)

I live in Cambridge, MA and play uke, guitar, tenor banjo and mandolin.

gazelletime
04-19-2008, 06:29 PM
name|jimmy
location|raleigh, north carolina
experience|1.5 years
piece|concert leolani from my brother

bgrif
04-20-2008, 09:26 AM
My name is Brad. A post-middle-age baby boomer.
I've only been playing uke for about 7 months, but have enjoyed every minute.
Located near St. Louis, MO
In my brief period of interest I've acquired and disposed of a Lanakai concert and Oscar Schmidt Bell and acquired and kept an Oscar spruce body concert, a Flea, a Lehua long neck soprano and a Bushman Jenny Venetian cutaway concert.
I also play bari sax in a concert and Dixieland jazz band. The ukes are much easier to carry!

Woodstocksp3
04-20-2008, 01:17 PM
Hey y'all!
My name is Seth and I am from San Antonio, Texas and I go to college at Texas A&M University. I am majoring in Civil Engineering and I can't wait until Summer...
I know very little about ukuleles but I love the way they sound and hope to have one and be decent at it one day.

I enjoy:
Fishing
Hunting
The beach
Friends
Disc Golf
Racquetball
The trumpet
Whistling
Biting my nails
Eating candy
Jetman
Guitar Hero
Watching sports
Any type of music
The sun
Dachshunds
Squirrels
Alpacas
Cat pictures
The 'O Rly?' Owl
Erasers
Pawn shops
Hawaiian Punch

rcflyer23
04-20-2008, 03:12 PM
Hi All. New guy here.

Name: Kevin

I just got my ukulele this week. So far I am having fun with it. I have been playing guitar on and off for 7 or 8 years. I have thought about getting a ukelele for several years and just finally I know this is sad but the Jason Castro performance finally made me go get it. I bought I guess the same thing he was playing. An Oscar Schmidt OU5. I am really happy with it. I have a Washburn guitar so I figured it couldn't be complete crap.

Anyway. I am really looking forward to learning alot. I love the fact that Aldrine has the lessons, etc on here. I don't find anyone willing to do that in the guitar world.

Thanks,

Kevin

thitime13
04-20-2008, 08:36 PM
hi
my name is Tea, from the bay area. i've been playing ukulele for a couple months now, im not that good with it but still enjoy playing. i hope to get better :D

tad
04-20-2008, 09:41 PM
I realized that, despite having become a "Senior Member," and having had this page bookmarked since before it even went up, I haven't introduced myself.

I'm Tad. Currently a second-year (soon to be third-year) PhD student in History, at George Mason University. I haven't been playing the ukulele that long-- I got my first one maybe five months ago? My blog is listed in my sig line-- I blog about nineteenth century history, computer & internet pedagogy, and ukuleles...

Not necessarily in that order. :o

I've already purchased several. I used to collect comics as a kid, so I guess the collecting bug was already in me... I've got a Kala soprano, an Applause/Ovation soprano, a Republic resonator concert, and a Mitchell MU-70 Concert. Oh, and a little plastic TV Pal that is in need of a bit of TLC.

I love this forum 'cause, while I'm still pretty much a novice player, the bug has bit me HARD, and my friends all think the whole UAS/ukulele obsession thing is a bit crazy. Here, I'm surrounded by other crazies. :p

...Oh, and I almost never use so many smilies. ;)

KoloheBoy
04-20-2008, 09:42 PM
Name: Noah
playing uke almost 7 years

easyukulele
04-20-2008, 10:51 PM
What's Happenin' UU members!!

Name: Kainoa

Years Playing Ukulele: 24 years (from small kid time)

Ukuleles I Play/Played: G-String & Heart and Soul/Kamaka, Martin, Sonny D, Youngs' Ukulele's, Kala, Lanikai, Mele.....I can't remember them all!:)

Happy Playing!!

Aloha!:D

csaladinojr714
04-21-2008, 09:35 AM
Sonny

use to live in Oahu but now ina huntington beach, CA
1 year playing uke on the serious side this time

Robogrip
04-21-2008, 05:41 PM
Aloha Gang.

Jon here in the Seattle Area.

Just got back from Kiting in Maui where I picked up a Lyon Concert Uke from Costco.
First instrument I've played in several decades. Gotta say I'm hooked.

And I think I owe a huge debt of gratitude to you fine folks at UU.

The Robogrip moniker is in reference to my job as a Key Grip in the film industry.

Thanks for all the great lessons and the huge dose of Uke Stoke.

Jon

Live2Sponge
04-22-2008, 02:33 AM
howsit everyone!

I'm Matt from Kaua'i.
Just got my uke back in November.
sporting a Flea like they gave away in last months competition :)

Bourbon Boy
04-22-2008, 05:50 AM
Waz' up pees of the UU community...

I am from Boston Massachusetts. I have been playing the uke for about 6 months now. Fell in love with the instrument 7 years ago when visiting the Island of Kauai. I was in Kapaa and i just made the decision to buy one... Then my girl was mad that i just spent $400 on it and she wanted jewlery. Wouldnt you know it. dumbest thing i ever did. I had to appease the woman. I reluctanlty returned my uke. and bought her some gold. WHAT AN IDIOT I AM!!! Anyway... I finnly got around to buy my own uke not to long ago and I LOVE IT!!! To think I could have been a season 7 year player by now....:mad:

Tsani
04-22-2008, 06:52 AM
I've played ukes on and off since I was a kid in New Guinea (Irian Jaya), but I have only gotten serious about it more recently. The cool thing about the ukes when I was a kid was that they were all hand-made instruments made by local people for their own use. None of them had frets, just maybe some lines cut into the fretboard for reference. That was some real island music.

I got into it a little more when my son, the guitar fanatic, asked for a uke to put some of that "island vibe" into his sound. We got a Rogue baritone and sent it back because he didn't like it. Then he bought a "First Act" kid's uke from Wal-Mart. Believe it or not we still play that thing. Meanwhile I got a Kohala soprano that is pretty good.

But a couple of weeks ago I got my baby.

I went into a local antique shop and saw two instruments. One was a Harmony tenor guitar. I tuned that up and played it a bit, and thought it sounded like something I might like to fool around with, but I was more interested in a little brown uke that was with it. They were asking for $39 for the tenor guitar and $24 for the uke.

I went and got my son and we checked them out. We sat in the shop and played for about 20 minutes. Then the lady that owned the place offered to sell them both to us for $50 bucks. Needless to say I jumped on that.

The uke is a baritone Favilla. It is in great condition and has a gorgeous sound. I checked around and this is about a $400 dollar uke.

I play with my son and a friend of mine who spent a lot of time in Hawaii while he was in the Air Force. We love Iz, Ka'au Crater Boys, Willie Dan and all the great ones. I want to learn some Jack Johnson and try adapting some other stuff. I love folk, so I like to do stuff that was meant for guitar and adapt it to uke.

GX9901
04-22-2008, 06:54 AM
Waz' up pees of the UU community...

I am from Boston Massachusetts. I have been playing the uke for about 6 months now. Fell in love with the instrument 7 years ago when visiting the Island of Kauai. I was in Kapaa and i just made the decision to buy one... Then my girl was mad that i just spent $400 on it and she wanted jewlery. Wouldnt you know it. dumbest thing i ever did. I had to appease the woman. I reluctanlty returned my uke. and bought her some gold. WHAT AN IDIOT I AM!!! Anyway... I finnly got around to buy my own uke not to long ago and I LOVE IT!!! To think I could have been a season 7 year player by now....:mad:

Welcome to U.U.

So, did you marry the girl? (or was she already your wife?):D

wheels
04-22-2008, 04:53 PM
Hi, I'm Wheels. It's a nickname I've had for a long time. I live in Denver, Colorado.

I got my first uke (a Kamaka concert) in 2004 in Hilo. I've acquired a few others since then. I have various other instruments, but since I picked up the uke, I've more-or-less ignored the others.

I like playing novelty songs, 60's pop, and a few other things. Not really into Hawaiian music or hapa haole, though.

UKISOCIETY
04-23-2008, 05:21 AM
My name's Alan and you can find my videos under "UKISOCIETY" on YouTube. I've played soprano ukulele since I was a boy, but didn't get the serious uke bug until about 4 years ago. Now I own around 10 ukes ranging from sopranino to tenor (never will buy a baritone!).

Ukulele players are few and far between here in Kentucky and Indiana. Ukisociety was designed to get the Uke players from this area together for fellowship and commiseration.

I'm also developing a ukulele ministry at my church. I've given away 2 ukes to people so far and hope to add uke lessons and playing sessions to the church schedule someday.

Thanks for reading!

1/27/09 UPDATE: I bought a baritone (!)

spaztick
04-24-2008, 10:32 AM
My name's Jason. I'm from Vancouver Island, off Canada's Pacific coast. I've only been playing around with the ukulele for about a month, but I can't get enough of it!! I've also been playing the guitar for about 4 months.

I never really thought I'd be playing either, to be honest with you. I'm 32 years old, and I've never been that musical. But I'm finding both instruments to be very rewarding (though sometimes frustrating). It's a real journey for me, and I'm happy to have found an outlet for discussing the ukulele.

Unfortunately, I don't actually own a ukulele. The one I'm using was lent to me by a friend. Let's face it... she's going to want it back eventually!!

In any case, I'm on youtube (http://youtube.com/user/spaztick123) if anyone's interested in checking me out. Like I said, I'm still pretty new, but I'll be adding vids as I learn more material. I know I'm not that fantastic yet, but I'd love for you to subscribe and watch me learn and grow as a player!

Cheers!

spted dinosaur
04-24-2008, 12:52 PM
hey my name is Devon, Im a girl who lives in virginia USA :D
i love the ukulele and joined this forum to learn more songs mostly.
i hope i become an active member here!

deach
04-24-2008, 01:28 PM
hey my name is Devon, Im a girl who lives in virginia USA :D
i love the ukulele and joined this forum to learn more songs mostly.
i hope i become an active member here!

Where in Va? There's a couple of us in NoVa/DC area and a few down south.

spted dinosaur
04-25-2008, 08:26 AM
louden county. i live about 45 min. from DC

Uked
04-25-2008, 08:33 AM
Hello all! Dennis from Zandvoort, The Netherlands here. Just got my Uke (for a week now) and i love it!!! My wife got it for my birthday as a little 'joke' but it rocks. I already play the electric & acoustic guitar and have lessons for over a year now. So i have some knowledge to start from.

I like al your YouTube stuff and learn a lot from you all. Hope i can return the favour sometime :)

deach
04-25-2008, 08:49 AM

Me too! I live in Leesburg and dnewton2 lives in Ashburn!

spted dinosaur
04-25-2008, 09:00 AM
really? =D i live in ashburn! weird...

Djr0nard
04-25-2008, 05:34 PM
Hi !!

Im Ronald Manuel
I live in Milpitas California
Im 17
Ive been playing 3 instruments, Piano (8 years) guitar(2 years) and the most recent and most cherished the ukulele (1 year so far):o

any one else from the bay area or possibly milpitas???

Nelson
04-27-2008, 10:16 AM
Howdy!

The name is Nelson (some friends call me by my middle name Kirby (yes it really is kirby)) and I'm 18.
I like to play a bunch of different instruments...I started out with bass and have been playing that for about five years now. I play some acoustic guitar, digeridoo, harmonica, a liiiiil bit of panflute, and mouth harp.
However I have been playing ukulele for about a year now and it is by far my favorite instrument.

I'm livin' in New Jersey and attending William Paterson University.

tuumalo
04-27-2008, 08:37 PM
Hey Everybody, Im RJ! I been Playin ukulele for about 2 years everyday. I take my uke to work with me and pretty much everywhere i go. Im 21 years old and orginally from ILIILI, American Samoa. I live in Cedar City, Utah now and try to jam as much as i can. If anyone has any questions hit me up.

Tofa Soifua,

RJ TUUMALO

tad
04-27-2008, 09:21 PM

That must be when the traffic's good! I live in Fairfax, and yeah, I can get into DC that quick when I go see a show at night, but I know my roommate's taken as long as two hours to get in to his job down near Capitol Hill...

YuKoLayLay
04-28-2008, 06:27 AM
Hey! I'm Nicko, live in SD
High school junior at mt carmel so if anyone oges there we should jam together.
Been playing for about.... hmmmm three days XD

kman808
04-28-2008, 10:01 AM
Whats up everybody.....I'm a newbie to the site.

I live mainland and have been playing for about two years. Originally from Mililani, Oahu, but like many Islanders, I moved to where the work was.

I played guitar years ago, but picked up the uke because its a little more mobile and can go anywhere. That song "one night stand" was getting a lot of play time on the radio and I just had to learn that "simple" intro. Next thing you know I bought a Lanikai tenor for $99 and have been playing ever since.

I pretty much learned most of whatI know from you tube and here on UU. I don't have much to offer as far as contributing my "expertise" as I consider myself a novice at best.

Thanks everybody for sharing your knowledge.

robha
04-28-2008, 11:23 AM
What's Happenin' UU members!!

Name: Kainoa

Years Playing Ukulele: 24 years (from small kid time)

Ukuleles I Play/Played: G-String & Heart and Soul/Kamaka, Martin, Sonny D, Youngs' Ukulele's, Kala, Lanikai, Mele.....I can't remember them all!:)

Happy Playing!!

Aloha!:D
Kainoa
Good to see you here. I enjoy your videos on youtube and use them to get better. You do a strum that is really cool and I was hoping you would do a video teaching it.

robha
04-28-2008, 12:00 PM
Hello everyone,
My name is Rob I live in Ellensburg Wa and I am 50yrs old. I started playing (trying to learn) in Oct. 2007. My only resource for info and lessons has been the internet. I am amazed with how much happiness and sunshine that comes from these wonderful little instruments. I have ZERO music back ground. The only musical instrument I could play was my car radio...hahaha. I used to spend all my free time fishing for salmon or stealhead. But since I found the ukulele I have pretty much given that up. Gotta love it!!!
I have a Kala soprano mahogany pineapple which I started with and for my 50th Bday Wifey got me a concert Flea Tiki King which has got a "bubble" pickup as well as the rosewood fret board. I am very happy finding UU because it is a good place to learn and ask questions. Everyone (Staff and members) seem to be very pleasant and helpful. There is never a dumb question.
Thanks Ukuleleunderground!!!

CTurner
04-28-2008, 01:46 PM
Hey Everyone,

I'm Craig and live in Chapel Hill, NC. I've been playing uke for about two years . Just bought a Kanile'a concert and love it. I teach movement training for actors in a professional program at UNC-Chapel Hill.

Best

Plainsong
04-28-2008, 05:17 PM
Hey Everyone,

I'm Craig and live in Chapel Hill, NC. I've been playing uke for about two years . Just bought a Kanile'a concert and love it. I teach movement training for actors in a professional program at UNC-Chapel Hill.

Best

I took such a course, but it was at Winthrop... many many moons ago. :D

Aotearoa-Strummer
05-01-2008, 02:20 AM
Tēnā ano koutou e te Whānau o Ukulele Underground.

I tēnei wā ka rere taku mihi ki a koutou katoa kua huihui mai nei i runga i tēnei wharangi hei whakanui, hei hapai, hei poipoi i tenei taonga puoro arā ko te Ukulele tērā.

No reira e taku whanau hou mai nga hau e wha huri noa i te ao, Mauri Ora ki a koutou!

Kia ora all,

Im pretty new around these parts so i though i would introduce my self. My name is Chris and i am from Aotearoa/New Zealand. I am Māori as you can tell from the above greetings. I have been playing Ukulele for around 4 years but have only just started playing "popular songs" I used to only play traditional Māori songs and tried really hard not to play pop songs but i suppose the whole reason i started playing was to have fun so now i play whatever songs make me feel happy be it Māori, pop or whatever.

So hello everyone and now i think there are two Māori on UU myself and UkulelesReggae. By the way UkulelesReggae what iwi are you from???

Anyway everyone its great to be here and be a part of the UU family.

Kia Ora Koutou!

NewUkeCity
05-01-2008, 08:28 AM
Hi everyone!

I'm pretty much brand new to the uke but I already love it to death. From NYC, work in theater, my musical background (if you could call it that) is mostly with piano and a little trumpet. I've been fascinated by this instrument for so long that I finally decided to take the plunge. :)

koa27
05-03-2008, 12:14 AM
Hello everyone... my name is koa and its my pleasure to meet you!

Im from Cerritos California.. the land of hajimas... hahaha..

anyways.. Im 24 and i really enjoy playing the uke.. ive been playing for a couple of years now.. and the ukulele has taken to places i thought i would never see.. not just a place or something tangible... but a feeling or a state of mind that i have never seen or experience..

i just let the music flow though me :D

if anyone is ever in the area, look me up and we'll JAM! im always looking for new people to jam with.. good vibes all around :D

check me out on:
myspace.com/koa27
youtube.com/letmebeurkoa
koa27music@gmail.com

stay UP!

Ame
05-03-2008, 08:22 AM
Welcome to all the new members! I hope you enjoy your stay and become active in our UU family. :)

alden
05-03-2008, 09:04 AM
Just wanted to say that I appreciate this site and all the good people on here - Rock on!

Name - Alden
Location - SF, CA
How I found UU - Russ_Buss

easyukulele
05-03-2008, 10:26 AM
What's up Robha! Thanks!! Yeah, still trying to get to that strumming lessons! I've been really busy working overtime at my job for the past month. Anyways, glad the videos are of help!!

Happy Playing!!

Aloha!!

Rubbertoe
05-04-2008, 04:28 PM
Aloha everyone! I'm Roberto (=rubbertoe) and live just outside of Toronto, Canada. Been playin' uke for about a year but with no music background, innate musical talent and no uke teachers in the area that i know of, am still kinda all thumbs (but because i was actually able to learn, play and sing along to a song on the uke in only a few days after picking one up, i'm forever in love/addicted). Lovin' the video lessons (finally, i can progress as a... uh... musician? hahaha!).

PortugueseSausage
05-06-2008, 05:55 PM
sup yall! im charles from seattle, i just started playing the uke. dont know why im just starting! shoulda been up on the ukulele with all the fun im having. much thanks to this site and the youtube vids yall make, im slowly pickin this thing up, and cant put it down(actually i WILL NOT!!).:)

LonBoi808
05-07-2008, 07:58 PM
Name: Lon
Location: use to live in hawwai for 13 years then move to cali
i have been playin uke for about 2 years now

Jack33@
05-10-2008, 10:07 AM
Hello I'm Jack

I live in Redruth, Cornwall (which is part of the UK for those who have never been)

I have been playing ukulele for about 3 weeks and can't put it down. The only reason I am on this site is because my kids are in bed and I keep waking them up with my awful playing.

I have had a uke for 19 years, carried it round from place to place and country to country, finally decided to play it or sell it.

19 wasted years....

cashew
05-10-2008, 07:16 PM
Heyas-- I'm Cashew, a complete and utter newbie. Got my Uke yesterday, and I'm finding it awesome.

I had some 'formal' guitar training about 10 years ago... I forgot about 9/10ths of it. The uke is more fun though.

Aside from that, I'm in Staten Island, NY, USA on the good ol' planet Earth.
Nice to meetchas.

JackT
05-10-2008, 10:33 PM
Forgot to do this whole thing, I'm Jack... Played guitar for a while on and off, saw a Julia Nunes ukulele cover then kept watching ukulele covers and thought I'ma get a crappy uke to learn on. So it's me and my Mahalo.

Anyways I'm from the UK, Berkshire in England to be exact.

Pancho Villa
05-11-2008, 12:43 AM
Hello from London! I'd heard stuff by Beirut and Jens Lekman and started liking the instrument - then a friend of mine in school decided to start a ukulele orchestra so I thought - why not?

That was a few months ago; also play the guitar aswell

NewbieUkie
05-11-2008, 04:43 PM
Here's the short story!
I'm a middle aged guy who is finally able to travel a little, and recently came back from Maui, (my second visit there in the last 3 years...thought I'd NEVER do THAT plane ride again but Maui is irresistable....I just got back last week and I feel it tugging at me to come back already!)

Anyway....

I have collected interesting and some quite beautiful guitars for years, and have sold and traded them as well, to maintain my GAS. (I'm sure you guys all know what that means!)
While in Maui, I stopped in a guitar store, as I always do when in a new place, hoping for that "score" we all dream of finding. (And almost never do!)
Well.....the inevitable in Maui happened...I started looking, (seriously for the first time), at ukuleles!

I looked at the brands I recognized, and the ones I didn't, and marveled at the fine woods and build, and absolute beauty of many of them, just as I do when looking at fine guitars, which I consider to be works of "functional art" when crafted by a master luthier.
I was also happily surprised to hear the charming and unique tone of these amazing little instruments up close, and to see how relatively "simple" they appeared to be to play. (compared to violin, for example...lol!)

Did I buy, even though my wonderful wife encouraged me to just go ahead and make a leap of faith and indulge in a purchase right then and there?

NO!

Why not?
Well, simply put, I know NOTHING about the instrument....and know enough at this stage of my life to NEVER buy a "pig in a poke".
When looking at guitars, while I am an average player at best, and maybe even not THAT good, my years of collecting have taught me what to look for in a guitar....what's good, what isn't, the things to watch out for, and to be glad for, the different effect of the various tone-woods, etc, etc, etc.

Do all those same things apply to the uke, as my wife tried to insist they must?

I don't know!
Guys...I came back from Maui "uke-less", and frankly, so far, have found much of the information from musician acquaintances of mine USELESS, as none of them know any more than I do about the ukulele!

This site popped up on a google search and I just signed up.
Obviously there is a wealth of information here, and I won't try to take the lazy way out and ask what the best uke is to buy, or where to buy it. I can read the info available here, as I should, and will.

That said....I wanted to take this opportunity to say "Hello", introduce myself, and ask a few, (just a few!) "simple" questions:

A. Does my story sound familiar? How did YOU get interested in the ukulele? I ask this because I am wondering if this infatuation is temporary, or the familiar story as to how many you guys got started.

B. I've set a budget for my first uke of $500-$700 dollars, give or take a couple hundred. While I own guitars that cost that much, and less, (mostly more), and some many times more, I don't know yet if this thing will be on eBay in a month! Is my budget realistic for a nice uke that will perform well and be an instrument I will be happy to play if I stick with it, which I sincerely hope to do? Any specific recommendations as to the brand, etc, within that budget? New or used?

C. What are the common pitfalls, outside of "re-wiring" my brain from guitar, which already intimidates me a little. (I'm a guy who has a hard time finding my car keys every day!) Any specific advice here?

Well....I actually have a LOT more questions, but I promised to make this a "short story", and have already failed to keep THAT assurance, so I'll cut it off right here.

Thanks for reading, and I look forward to hearing all of your words of wisdom!

Daniel Davis
05-11-2008, 06:16 PM
Hello all!

My name is Daniel and I have just started ukulele. I play guitar, bass, drums, and sing for over six years. I guess you could now add ukulele into the mix! I record original music regularly and you can hear it at www.myspace.com/danieldavistunes

zebullon
05-11-2008, 10:01 PM
Hi
I'm from france (will be next year in japan), currently student in Comp.Sci.
Have a uke since november , it's a cheap one for training.

TONGAN UKE
05-12-2008, 04:01 AM
My names Jon and I live in the Bay Area (oakland)....

Recently picked up a uke like a week or go, and i can't let it go,

time to go practice piano before my mom breaks my uke...lol

thejumpingflea
05-12-2008, 12:19 PM
Hey, I am Matt. I've been an avid uke player for a few years now and I have to say this little instrument has changed my life. I am a senior in High School and have recently had 3 seperate (soon to be 4!) knee surgeries that have halted any and all sports I have enjoyed throughout my life. It has left a lot of time to play the uke. :D My grandfather has a uke and showed it to me a few years back. I learned the simple C F G7 structure and from there it is history. I look forward to finally buckling down and recording a demo and I should be doing that this summer.

I have all sorts of ukes now, but started on a Lanakai Soprano model. I now have an Applause Soprano, Fluke, Flea, Amigo Baritone, Bugsgear EleUke, and my pride and joy; Herb Ohta-San Deluxe Concert Kamaka.

I stumbled on this site one day and now I finally have the time to begin posting on it. :nana:

mabster
05-13-2008, 05:40 AM
Hi there folks.
I'm Mabs, Im 20 and live in the main town of Lerwick which is situated in a group of islands off the Scottish coast at 60 degrees North.

I was given a cheap ukulele (mahalo with hard case) as a present from my supervisor around two years ago. I've never really played in in that time but since the 28th anual folk festival ended the other day I decided I want to play an instrument at the sessions. Having never had a good time with guitars os Bass's I feel the Ukulele may be my calling!

I've been playing it for the past few days now, learning the major chords (struggling with the shapes bu getting there) and I'm just playing around with the major scales right now.

Hopefully later on in the year I shall upgrade to a better Uke as frankly this one is rather poor but it shall be fine for me learning on.

Cheers for the fantastic advice on this site.

Mabs

hawaiianmusiclover06
05-13-2008, 09:46 AM
Aloha everyone! My name is Alana and I am 32 years old and I hail from 'Ewa Beach, Hawai'i. I love the sound of the 'ukulele. I don't play the 'ukulele as of yet, but I will hopefully learn in the summer. I am in the process of looking for a 'ukulele that I can play some songs or take lessons with. Mahalo nui for this board and I hope to meet a lot of people through here.

the new guy
05-13-2008, 10:44 AM
hello underground my name is ed i am 25 years old from San Jose, CA learning how to play. i recently bought my first uke that im really proud of even tho i cant really play all that well yet

attax
05-17-2008, 02:39 AM
hey underground :) my name is patrick and i'm 20 years old and come from Paderborn in Germany (international xD) i've bought my first uke and now i learn to play it^^

by the way... my english is some piece of shit^^ but i'll do my best^^

greetz from germany
see ya^^

A.j.
05-17-2008, 11:08 PM
Let's get this forum started!

Name: Rayan
How long have you been playing ukulele: 7 years (if playing once a year counts)
hey names A.j.
currently in San Diego
i've only played for, well not even a year,
no wait yes 1 yr. haha

ReallyKevin
05-18-2008, 11:48 AM
Wow, I haven't been going on this site in a while.
It's thriving.

Currently: Cali, Norwalk
Been playing for: About a year.

degracia
05-18-2008, 05:37 PM
Wow, I haven't been going on this site in a while.
It's thriving.

Currently: Cali, Norwalk
Been playing for: About a year.

Yo!! Welcome aboard. You probably know me from my youtube :D

jem
05-18-2008, 08:50 PM
Hi everyone. I'm from Singapore and I own an Oscar Schmidt OU Concert. My interest in ukeleles started during my first trip to Hawaii some years back but bar chords are my Waterloo.... =(

Anyway, glad to come across this forum!

adellethegreat
05-19-2008, 04:16 AM
Hello hello. Name's Adelle... been playing the uke for 4 1/2 months now & I'm completely addicted! Seeso got me started, and I hope he plans on paying my bills when I quit my job to devote all my time to rocking out on the uke :)

I think I've made progress in the time I've had it. I write original songs, and sometimes YouTube 'em. User name there is the same.

russ_buss
05-19-2008, 05:41 AM
Hello hello. Name's Adelle... been playing the uke for 4 1/4 months now & I'm completely addicted! Seeso got me started, and I hope he plans on paying my bills when I quit my job to devote all my time to rocking out on the uke :)

I think I've made progress in the time I've had it. I write original songs, and sometimes YouTube 'em. User name there is the same.

yay Adelle's here! love your youtube videos! welcome to the underground...

dave g
05-19-2008, 01:17 PM
I'm Dave, live in Columbus Ohio, just turned fifty, started with the ukulele about a year ago. I'm fortunate to have met up with some other like-minded people locally, and collectively we form the Central Ohio Uke Peeps :-)

http://www.youtube.com/user/CentralOhioUkePeeps

I must admit I'm more into making things than playing music, but I've channeled that into a uke-related hobby: http://www.wsukes.com/

SailQwest
05-20-2008, 10:31 AM
We just discovered UU through Seeso and it looks like a great place to visit!

We run a charter sailboat in the Virgin Islands. In late 2006 we started playing ukuleles and now we're addicted! It's incredible how much joy playing the ukulele has brought us.

Kim & Rich

Hopelessy Devoted To U(ke)
http://www.YouTube.com/user/SailQwest

adellethegreat
05-20-2008, 10:47 AM
yay Adelle's here! love your youtube videos! welcome to the underground...

Yay for your yay! Thanks for the welcome Russ!

pohaku
05-20-2008, 01:33 PM
Howzit! I'm originally from Hilo, but now live up here on the tundra in Minnesota. Been playing uke since small kid time (and I'll be 55 this year). Still have and play the uke I took lessons on when I was 9. Mostly play a Gibson T-1 tenor and a Martin T-15 Tiple. Have a handful of soprano sized ukes as well. You can never have too many ukes (or guitars for that matter). Very interesting board and I'm quite pleased to have stumbled across it.

xvdragonx
05-20-2008, 02:31 PM
hey everyone! I'm Brian from carson/torrance ca...signed up for a few weeks now, and thought i should formally introduce myself...i've always wanted to play some type of instrument, but never really had the drive or passion to start. but recently my buddy was jammin' and i thought i'd give it a try since i'll have more time on my hands this summer...so far i love it!!! i cant wait to see a major progression haha

NukeDOC
05-22-2008, 06:34 AM

We run a charter sailboat in the Virgin Islands. In late 2006 we started playing ukuleles and now we're addicted! It's incredible how much joy playing the ukulele has brought us.

Kim & Rich

hey i remember you guys from the bushman contest! glad you made it over!

SailQwest
05-22-2008, 08:09 AM
We're just a little slow finding UU...internet on a sailboat can be a challenge! And what a cool find UU is for us!!!

tuscadero
05-23-2008, 07:04 AM
Hey-o,
My name is Stacey, I'm in MA and I'm super new to ukulele. I started in March after getting laid off and I've been playing every day since. (oh, and I'm working a new job, so no worries) I've got a 12 year old boy who looks at me with teen angst and disdain when I play, but secretly, when I'm not around, he teaches himself songs by Wilco and Moldy Peaches, ha!

seeso
05-23-2008, 07:48 AM
Ha ha ha! Welcome aboard, Stacey. Let us know if you need any help!

ventricle mouse
05-23-2008, 04:59 PM
Hi! My name is Anne, and I live in West Chicago, Illinois. I started playing the Ukulele in March, and since then I've been learning so much, and having a lot of fun at the same time! It's really great to find out there are all these ukulele people online, and they're all super nice. I think that's part of what makes me want to stick with the ukulele, so I'm glad that I found the forums.

ukulelemotion
05-23-2008, 05:52 PM
aloha.. i am eric. musically known as emotion.

i am a san jose representative

i have been playing the uke for 6 months and have influenced my brother(the new guy), cousin( iamjamesmiles ) and many youths from my church to pick up the uke and strum away.. ukes have become an addiction for me.. haha. i love to play and sing. and learn new thangs.. also i am starting my uke collection.. God Bless. one

Morcains
05-25-2008, 06:20 AM
Hi!

My name name is Carl and I live in Sweden. I'm 15 years old and I've been playing ukulele for 1 year. Soon gonna start to play with some gain ;)

I write my own songs (chord and text songs) and we're gonna play one on my examination. Maybe I can ask I friend to tape it and show it to you guys.

I'm an active ukulele player and I'm looking forward to learn from you guys :D

seeso
05-25-2008, 06:27 AM
Hi! My name is Anne, and I live in West Chicago, Illinois. I started playing the Ukulele in March, and since then I've been learning so much, and having a lot of fun at the same time! It's really great to find out there are all these ukulele people online, and they're all super nice. I think that's part of what makes me want to stick with the ukulele, so I'm glad that I found the forums.

Hello there, Anne. Nice to see another Illinois person on the boards. It was getting lonely... :(

Very glad that you decided to join up! Let us know if you need anything.

aloha.. i am eric. musically known as emotion.

i am a san jose representative

i have been playing the uke for 6 months and have influenced my brother(the new guy), cousin( iamjamesmiles ) and many youths from my church to pick up the uke and strum away.. ukes have become an addiction for me.. haha. i love to play and sing. and learn new thangs.. also i am starting my uke collection.. God Bless. one

Eric, what's up, man? Very cool that you're spreading the ukulele around.

There are a lot of folks up in your neck of the woods, especially San Francisco.

Hi!

My name name is Carl and I live in Sweden. I'm 15 years old and I've been playing ukulele for 1 year. Soon gonna start to play with some gain ;)

I write my own songs (chord and text songs) and we're gonna play one on my examination. Maybe I can ask I friend to tape it and show it to you guys.

Hey, Carl! Welcome to the boards. You should definitely tape your performance. Upload it to YouTube!

Peace.
Seeso.

bsting
05-25-2008, 11:05 AM
Hi, just wanted to briefly introduce myself since i've started randomly posting in this forum :)

my name is ambika...i was living in honolulu until a last month, and i just really started playing the ukulele a few weeks ago. i'm moving to san francisco in a week. i've been playing the guitar for about eleven years.

these are really great forums for a beginning uke player, thanks for everything you administrators have done in setting up this community :)

seeso
05-25-2008, 11:17 AM
I'm Dave, live in Columbus Ohio, just turned fifty, started with the ukulele about a year ago. I'm fortunate to have met up with some other like-minded people locally, and collectively we form the Central Ohio Uke Peeps :-)

http://www.youtube.com/user/CentralOhioUkePeeps

I must admit I'm more into making things than playing music, but I've channeled that into a uke-related hobby: http://www.wsukes.com/

Hi Dave, and welcome to the forums. I visited your YouTube channel, is that Amber (ukebucket) I see with you guys? Very cool!

I've bookmarked your builder's site. Lovely looking instruments, and I look forward to spending more time checking them out. Do all of your instruments have that headstock style?

Kim & Rich

Hey, sweet! I pointed some more peeps to the site! Awesome. Welcome, Kim and Rich. You live envious lives.

Howzit! I'm originally from Hilo, but now live up here on the tundra in Minnesota. Been playing uke since small kid time (and I'll be 55 this year). Still have and play the uke I took lessons on when I was 9. Mostly play a Gibson T-1 tenor and a Martin T-15 Tiple. Have a handful of soprano sized ukes as well. You can never have too many ukes (or guitars for that matter). Very interesting board and I'm quite pleased to have stumbled across it.

We're equally please to have you. Welcome aboard, brother! I'd like to see pictures of those ukes sometime. I've never seen a Gibson uke!

hey everyone! I'm Brian from carson/torrance ca...signed up for a few weeks now, and thought i should formally introduce myself...i've always wanted to play some type of instrument, but never really had the drive or passion to start. but recently my buddy was jammin' and i thought i'd give it a try since i'll have more time on my hands this summer...so far i love it!!! i cant wait to see a major progression haha

What's up, Brian? I bet you've already seen your major progression. Welcome to the boards!

Hi, just wanted to briefly introduce myself since i've started randomly posting in this forum :)

my name is ambika...i was living in honolulu until a last month, and i just really started playing the ukulele a few weeks ago. i'm moving to san francisco in a week. i've been playing the guitar for about eleven years.

these are really great forums for a beginning uke player, thanks for everything you administrators have done in setting up this community :)

Ambika, awesome name. There's a bunch of members here that live in San Francisco. In fact, they just had a jam last night! Maybe you can get in on the next one... Welcome to the boards!

:)

leti
05-25-2008, 04:06 PM
Hi i am leti

i live in cypress California (orange county)
i was born and raised in LA county though

i played guitar for about 5 years and always wanted to buy a ukulele

finally saved up enough money to buy myself one about 2 weeks ago!

YAY!

i am really excited to be here!

pohaku
05-25-2008, 06:43 PM
We're equally please to have you. Welcome aboard, brother! I'd like to see pictures of those ukes sometime. I've never seen a Gibson uke!

Thanks for the kind words. See my pic posted in the Uke Porn thread. Gibson didn't make as many models as Martin, or as many ukes, but the ones they did make were nice. I know they made both soprano and tenor models with varying degrees of ornamentation. The T-1 tenor I have is the plainest model. I have it strung up Bruddah IZ style and it plays and sounds great.

lovemissheather
05-26-2008, 05:18 PM
My name is Heather, and I'm from South Lake Tahoe California. I have been playing the Ukulele for approximately three months, and I've actually picked it up very quickly if i might say so myself.

leggomyriego
05-27-2008, 05:58 PM
Hey everyone, Jeremy here. Posted a thread like a month or two ago about what kind of uke to get, then disappeared for a while to catch back up in school. Anyways, i managed to finally save up and take a road trip to pick up a my first uke! It's a Kala Concert KA-C. I've been playing for a week and a half and have picked it up pretty fast. It's still taking some getting used to since the other instrument i've played is the piano. Starting to feel the calluses on my fingertips start to form! haha, still can't really play anything but a few chords. Currently trying to learn Honey Baby since it's really catchy and seems easy to play. Anyways, see you guys around!:nana::rock:

p.s. It's still equipped with the GHS strings XD. I know most of you recommend changing them asap, though I have absolutely NO knowledge on strings. Time to rummage through the forum for that thread~

polynesianpop
05-28-2008, 04:44 AM
Aloha!

First post here on the UU forums. My name is Adrian and I live in Corona, Ca. I just started playing Uke last summer so I'm still very much a newbie. Self taught for the most part using YouTube and the tutorials here. I'm really happy to have found this site as its been so helpful.

jbarbon
05-28-2008, 08:06 AM
hi my name is jesse
i live in sunnyvale CA (near san jose)

ive been playin' for 2 and a half months :cool:

JumpingPulgas
05-28-2008, 08:11 AM
Welcome Carl! Where in Sweden do you live? I have some relatives in Karlstad.

Hi!

Texty McTextington
05-28-2008, 11:09 AM
I'm Jason from West "By God" Virginia. I've been a harmonica player for 10 years and picked up the uke about 2 years ago. I love it more than anything. I rarely even blow harp anymore! I play both instruments in a couple bands and I also dabble in the hip hop world as an emcee. Here are some links to my music pages if anyone is interested.

www.myspace.com/vernspotochili
www.vernspotochili.com
www.myspace.com/thestudiovirgins
www.myspace.com/bigsavagefats

Peace and love,

_Jason

c.b.fiddler
05-29-2008, 10:05 AM
Hello all,

My name is Chris Burndrett out of Atlanta, GA. I have my degree in Violin performance - been playing violin and guitar for about 25 yrs now. I performed and taught violin primarily for 14 years before going ahead and getting a "regular" job. I still play professionally - just not as much (my regular job gives me the opportunity to "cherry pick" the better gigs.) Also, I am currently apprenticing with my violin maker - and I'm about 1/4 of the way through my first violin.

I joined UU after receiving a Martin 3K Uke as a family heirloom (belonged to my great grandfather.) The replies to my inquiry have been extremely helpful and you guys seem like a great bunch of folks. I'm glad to be here!

Thank you,
Chris:bowdown:

tuumalo
05-29-2008, 06:34 PM
Hey Everyone!!

Name: Tu'umalo
Currently Residing: Cedar City, Utah....(yea I know! lol)

Iv'e been playing ukulele for about 2 years strong. I jam alot during the long nights of mixing Kava!!!! Umm Kava! The Only downside is that not too many people know how to play the uke or guitar here in C-town so it mostly ends up me playin all night alone..hahaha. i love to jam and hopefully ill have some vids up on youtube soon. Check em out. youtube.com/tuumalo..

take care everybody!!!

RT

14twelve
05-29-2008, 08:14 PM
p.s. It's still equipped with the GHS strings XD. I know most of you recommend changing them asap, though I have absolutely NO knowledge on strings. Time to rummage through the forum for that thread~

Hi Jeremy, I knew nothing about changing strings either, but this video that Aldrine did in the "Uke Minutes" section was really helpful, and I've changed them now with no problems.

http://ukuleleunderground.com/category/ukeminute/page/4/

thatguy431
05-30-2008, 11:49 PM
Hello everybody, thatguy431 here, otherwise known as Brandon Reinking.

I live in Cleveland, Ohio. Im a musician of sorts, primarily a bass player. I picked up an ukulele about a year ago, and, i gotta say, im in love with it!

I dont have any original music written for it yet, but ive done a few arrangements for it. Mostly video game tunes. Check it out if ya want...

www.youtube.com/thatguy431

if ya randomly wanna befriend me on myspace or something too, feel free www.myspace.com/bdawgthemasta

toodles,
Brandon

remy
05-31-2008, 09:21 AM
Greetings from NYC! I went to a BBQ over Memorial Day weekend and got to try out someone's ukulele. I fell in love instantly, and the very next day I ordered a Flea from Flea market music. So I'm a complete beginner, and I'm still waiting for my new ukulele in the mail, but I'm so excited to learn!

I found this site by looking for ukulele videos on youtube. You guys have done such a nice job here and the videos are so helpful and pleasant!!! Thanks so much!

leggomyriego
06-01-2008, 11:37 AM
Hi Jeremy, I knew nothing about changing strings either, but this video that Aldrine did in the "Uke Minutes" section was really helpful, and I've changed them now with no problems.

http://ukuleleunderground.com/category/ukeminute/page/4/

Oh wow thanks. =D i really needed that guide. Now time to choose which strings ><

FHS-72
06-02-2008, 02:11 PM
Hey Guys, Been playing for about 2 yrs after not touching the uke for almost 30 yrs. Glad to be playing again thanks to Kanaka916. He also turned me on to UU. Much mahalo to him.

ukegirl
06-02-2008, 04:28 PM
Hi All,
Jamie...off and on for a few years...Barrington,IL.

Kanaka916
06-02-2008, 06:21 PM
Hey Guys, Been playing for about 2 yrs after not touching the uke for almost 30 yrs. Glad to be playing again thanks to Kanaka916. He also turned me on to UU. Much mahalo to him.
Hah, 'bout time . . . now see if DHKane is on line . . . I'll see you on Wednesday cause gotta get ready fo go work.

Howie1947
06-04-2008, 03:39 AM
60 yr old dude here........Have been playing now for bout 2 yrs.........First got interested as a young boy living in Naval Housing at Pearl Harbor..........That was back in the late 50's when it was truly paradise !!.........Looking forward to meeting Aldrine (hopefully) at Roy Sakuma's Uke Fest this July........I'm a Veterinarian by profession, living in the the San Diego Calif area, but could easily change to full-time Ukulele player there in Honolulu..........Aloha

Kanaka916
06-04-2008, 05:27 AM
Mike, welcome aboard. Not too far behind ya in years. And I know what you mean about being truly paradise back in those years. Anyway, there are a bunch of uke players in San Diego. You ought to check the Regional Get Togethers Forum (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21) to get more info about the SD area.

Nipper
06-05-2008, 02:13 PM
Hello UU,

Nipper here... Ukulele Revolutionary from Somerset in the UK.

Run a ukulele club TUSC
http://www.tusc.co.uk

Play in a vintage ukulele band 'The Night Owls'
http://ukulelenightowls.googlepages.com/

Blog about ukes
http://ukulelerevolution.blogspot.com/

I have written a book about how to teach ukulele in Primary Schools
School Ukulele Orchestra (http://www.kevinmayhew.com/Shop/Sections/Items/Item.aspx?item_id=77553)

At this point I begin to lose track a bit... there is some Ukecasting and my Reggae EP Ukulele Revolution (Free to download here (http://nipper.ukeland.com/ep/))

Glad to say hi to you all... UU is a wonderful website!

HungSolo
06-05-2008, 04:10 PM
Hola, old friends. It's been a few months since I've come around these parts. Lots of personal reasons, things that have happened, yadda yadda. Since it's been a while, I'll start back down on the totem pole... Thanks for keeping the site alive and I see a TON of progress since Ryan and team kicked it off. Major kudos!

A very close friend of mine that now has gotten the bug to get a uke actually reinvigorated me to get back into the group more often...

mahalo,
flug

ps- ryan, I haven't forgotten my promise to you. Sorry, I'll fullfil that immediately and with some more goodies...

ant on son
06-07-2008, 04:18 PM
Hello,

I'm from Iceland, bought an ukulele in March. I already play bass, guitar, didgeridoo and a little bit of mandolin and banjo (just a little).

I have a hard time putting down the ukulele, it's 2:20 am on a Saturday night and I still have it in my lap.

I have a Tennessee soprano uke, by the way.

seeso
06-07-2008, 05:25 PM
Hello,

I'm from Iceland, bought an ukulele in March. I already play bass, guitar, didgeridoo and a little bit of mandolin and banjo (just a little).

I have a hard time putting down the ukulele, it's 2:20 am on a Saturday night and I still have it in my lap.

I have a Tennessee soprano uke, by the way.

Welcome, my friend! Post a pic of your uke in this thread (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1732), I'd love to see her.

caz
06-08-2008, 05:50 AM
Hello Ukulele Underground,

I am a beginner ukulele player from NYC. I stumbled upon this site looking for suggestions on upgrading my cheap soprano ukulele. So far this is my favorite ukulele site as I've learned a great deal from just reading the boards and watching the videos. I hope to learn more and will probably be asking many questions.

Peace.

Clifford

russ_buss
06-08-2008, 06:28 AM

I am a beginner ukulele player from NYC. I stumbled upon this site looking for suggestions on upgrading my cheap soprano ukulele. So far this is my favorite ukulele site as I've learned a great deal from just reading the boards and watching the videos. I hope to learn more and will probably be asking many questions.

Peace.

Clifford

welcome to the underground Clifford! there's a member in your neck of the woods (menehuneNYC) that swears the East coast in the Best coast. other than his claim being a little erroneous*, you should check out these threads for more info on local happenings:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3223

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3195

cheers,russell

*just kidding. although West coast is technically the better coast, you guys can still be 2nd best coast.:) :) :)

adellethegreat
06-08-2008, 08:38 AM

Peace.

Clifford

Hey Clifford! Welcome; and ask all the questions you like- everyone here is unbelievably helpful. Good to have another uke representin NY ;)

caz
06-08-2008, 09:56 AM
Awesome, I didn't know there were other New Yorkers here. We should have a ukulele meet-up. :)

deach
06-08-2008, 10:00 AM
Awesome, I didn't know there were other New Yorkers here. We should have a ukulele meet-up. :)

You guys need to add to this...

Ukulele Underground Members Map (http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=109093481034122753733.00044cdb24d27208e3692&ie=UTF8&z=19)

mctrmt
06-08-2008, 05:29 PM
Hey UU,

I'm in Lethbridge, Alberta (woot?). I can't believe it's taken me so long to join UU. I've been playing a while (longer than you'd think if you heard me), and my husband and I recently started up a local group- The Chinook County Ukulele All-Sports- in the hopes of finding uke-minded individuals. All but 3 of us are beginners, but it's been a blast.

looking forward to being here,
Mary-Anne

z_clark
06-09-2008, 07:02 AM
Hello from Texas. I have my first Ukulele coming to me in the mail this week. I am SO EXCITED!!!

I look forward to spending some time here and picking up a few things!

Thanks!

FHS-72
06-09-2008, 07:17 AM
Hey there, welcome to uu. What kinda of uke did you get? Glad to see more people comming to the uke side.

z_clark
06-09-2008, 08:18 AM
I got a Makala MK-S Soprano.

It is a cheepie, as it is my first instrument ever! If I really enjoy it, I can always upgrade!

Can't wait for it to get here! I spent twice as much on how to books and videos as the actual Ukulele! :rolleyes:

I'll be rocking mary had a little lamb in no time! :rock:

Boozelele
06-09-2008, 04:44 PM
How's it going. Well I finally joined UU. Ive been playing guitar for a while (a long while actually - I should be much better than I actually am). Anyway, here is my story...about a year ago I came accross the video on youtube of "Mercedezzz" playing "I Will Survive" on her banjo uke, and I thought that was a really cool instrument. So one day on a whim I was on ebay and found a banjo uke for sale, and bought it. Of course once I received it...I was hooked. And because of my obsessive personality, I went out and bought a Fluke about two weeks later, and a Kala tenor a couple weeks after that.....I am really, really, really relieved to find there are others out there who are also crazy about the uke. Apparently I am NOT as messed up as I thought I was..... Right? I'm not, right? Seriously, help me out here.

Kevin (boozelele)

deach
06-09-2008, 04:47 PM
How's it going. Well I finally joined UU. Ive been playing guitar for a while (a long while actually - I should be much better than I actually am). Anyway, here is my story...about a year ago I came accross the video on youtube of "Mercedezzz" playing "I Will Survive" on her banjo uke, and I thought that was a really cool instrument. So one day on a whim I was on ebay and found a banjo uke for sale, and bought it. Of course once I received it...I was hooked. And because of my obsessive personality, I went out and bought a Fluke about two weeks later, and a Kala tenor a couple weeks after that.....I am really, really, really relieved to find there are others out there who are also crazy about the uke. Apparently I am NOT as messed up as I thought I was..... Right? I'm not, right? Seriously, help me out here.

Kevin (boozelele)

Welcome home!

Ddrz09
06-09-2008, 05:28 PM
Yo whats happening.

My name is Patrick from Honolulu, Salt Lake/Moanalua side.
I just picked up an uke about 2 months ago (from a friend) and now I cant stop playing it. I've seen some of Aldrines videos online and I leaned alot from it, and apparently some of my friends from school know him in person.

I've watched alot of UU's members videos and i guess this place seems to be the place to be. Well thats about it, and im back to my uke.

[g]
06-09-2008, 09:10 PM
Hi everyone, Greetings from San Francisco!

I picked up my first ukulele a year ago from a grocery store on Kauai, and the rest is history.

Great to be in such good company here ...

[g]

adellethegreat
06-10-2008, 02:40 AM
How's it going. Well I finally joined UU.

Hey, it's Booze! Woot woot! What up, man? Welcome to the UU :)

russ_buss
06-10-2008, 04:51 AM
How's it going. Well I finally joined UU....

Kevin (boozelele)

so great to see you on the UU Boozelele! cheers!

leplasti
06-12-2008, 04:15 AM
Hi, I'm new here too. Xavier, 29, a small town near Barcelona.

I started playing ukulele last january when my girlfriend bought me a Cambra soprano, cheap but good enough to start learning. I got hooked and a couple months later I purchased a nice Kala spruce top tenor.

Resrie
06-12-2008, 03:27 PM
Hi,
I've been lurking here a little while and decided to join and speak up. I grew up on Oahu (Pearl City, Mililani, then town-side), but lived on the Mainland since college. I now live in Clovis, California, near Fresno.
For some reason, I've been in full UAS mode this past month - probably a result of lurking here! :p I got a Kala concert and Koalana soprano from MGM. I also just bought Funky Carnivore's Pono PTO tenor. The Koalana and Pono both just came today, and I'm all manic - I don't know which one to play with first...and next...and again...:p
All hardly justified considering my low skill level...but I'm having fun!
Leslie

Keonikapila
06-12-2008, 03:44 PM
All hardly justified considering my low skill level...but I'm having fun!
Leslie

If you enjoy it, that's all the justification you need!

chef_special
06-12-2008, 08:59 PM
hi yall. i just recently picked up this site and wish i found it earlier. i recently ordered a Hilo soprano ukulele and should be recieveing it shortly. cheapy i think? any way im glad to be a part of this community.

Monkeyswithladders
06-13-2008, 05:41 PM
My name's Jonny-- I'm Buffalo, NY bred, but live in Florida at the moment.

I started playing Ukulele 5 days ago, so I only know like 3 songs.
In 2 days I'm buying a Flea and taking it up to Buffalo for 2 months free from work. It's taking over my brain! :D

Right now I'm working on the rhythm part for the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly theme on ukulele and am going to overdub some bass and drum parts over it and do the signature lead stuff on guitar :music:

lovemissheather
06-15-2008, 12:06 PM
hi yall. i just recently picked up this site and wish i found it earlier. i recently ordered a Hilo soprano ukulele and should be recieveing it shortly. cheapy i think? any way im glad to be a part of this community.

we're glad to have you!! :D

lovemissheather
06-15-2008, 12:07 PM
Yo whats happening.

My name is Patrick from Honolulu, Salt Lake/Moanalua side.
I just picked up an uke about 2 months ago (from a friend) and now I cant stop playing it. I've seen some of Aldrines videos online and I leaned alot from it, and apparently some of my friends from school know him in person.

I've watched alot of UU's members videos and i guess this place seems to be the place to be. Well thats about it, and im back to my uke.

welcome to our addiction.

i take that back....
our way of life :)

Rintintin
06-15-2008, 12:59 PM
Hello Ukulele Underground.

I have been playing the ocarina since january, it's an amazing instrument. Lately I've been wanting to expand my musical repertoire with a ukulele. So I'll be lurking around the forums doing a bit of research before I eventually purchase a uke.

FHS-72
06-15-2008, 01:03 PM
welcome rintintin. have'nt heard that name in a while. used to watch the tv show when i was younger.

ONYX
06-15-2008, 11:42 PM
Hi

New member here from Perth, Western Australia

Got hooked on the uke from watching many uke videos on you tube, been playing for about 6 months

this is my current uke collection :)

Got my first uke (Kala) , after much online research, from MGM, who seems to be a popular guy around here, and then felt the urge to amplify so i could jam with friends, so i bought the applause from a local music store

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/7963/p1606081722us0.jpg

SinisterDom
06-16-2008, 03:45 PM
Well, I picked up Tin Whistle a year or so ago and that got me reading music, and knowing I could play something. A month or two ago I was looking for a song on Tin Whistle and it came up with some guy playing it on Uke. I purchased a Ohana Soprano and loved it. I figured out some songs and then ended up buying a Oscar Schmidt concert. Now, I'd like to buy a Martin S-O soprano or a Concert Flea. I am definitely addicted to the Uke! :music:

Great site by the way!

FHS-72
06-16-2008, 03:51 PM
welcome to the dark side:rock::rock:

g4ry
06-18-2008, 08:07 AM
Heya guys and gals.

Been lurking here a while, figured I'd post and say hi. I'm a total newb when it comes to ukulele, but i've played guitar for quite a few years now. Just recently got my first uke (Koa Pili Koko from musicguymic) and I absolutely love playing! Aldrine's lessons have been a great help in getting started, and are much appreciated. Keep up the good work.

Cheers from Halifax, Canada!
gary

TsouL
06-19-2008, 01:32 PM
real name is danny i kno it doesnt have any kind of comparison to my handle on this site but its a personal thing so dont ask please...but i just never posted on this thread before so here i am!!

LonnaB
06-20-2008, 02:31 AM
Holy cow, I just read this entire thread.

Lots of cool people 'round these parts.

My name is Lonna, I'm from Indiana and I've been playing ukulele for almost 2 years.

wilco
06-20-2008, 09:19 PM
hi, i'm ryan and i'm from illinois.. i've been playing ukulele for 3-4 months, but have played guitar for 12 years.

nice to meet you all!

DigableKid
06-22-2008, 07:17 PM
Thanks to all running the forum and for keepin' the art strong. I've been playing for a couple months and didn't actually play any other instruments until I picked up a ukulele. Now I can confidently say I got some skillz. I call myself DigableKid cause I'm a likable guy...ya dig?! S.D's in da house.

Respect,
Digable

no_surf_today
06-24-2008, 03:38 PM
....from the Texas Gulf Coast and from a fulltime family man, fulltime "I'd rather be at the beach" man, and a sometime guitar man who just fell in love :love: with the thought of a Ukulele. I say "thought" because I haven't received it yet...but MGM will have it my way shortly. I'm starting with a little Koalana Soprano. The choices were way too many, the waiting was way too long to make up my mind, so I went with brand recognition and a few recommendations. I think I'll be pleased until I learn enough to posses that "dream" Uke. I'm looking forward to the experience of the Ukuleleunderground.

mic
06-25-2008, 05:50 AM
hi my name is Mike

been playing for like 8 yrs or so; just fool around kine, nothin serious....i guess thats way i still can't get past my basic/major chords:p

oh well at least w/ the help of this site i can slowly add to my awesome repetoire.

comin all the way from the island of southern california

Nosidda
06-25-2008, 06:06 AM
Hey im addison, i've been playing for a few months as well. I play a lanikai concert size uke. Pleasure to meet u all.

deach
06-25-2008, 06:09 AM
Hey im addison, i've been playing for a few months as well. I play a lanikai concert size uke. Pleasure to meet u all.

.oot uoy gniteem eciN

hcaed

persimmoncat
06-26-2008, 04:59 AM
Hi, I'm Mary. Got my little Rogue soprano one-week ago. I'm utterly obsessed. I'm in PG county, Maryland. I have woodwind and vocal background (... very far "back"), but I'm finding it helpful to have some experience reading music. My husband plays upright bass and used to gig around town (DC et al), but since we moved to PG he's not so happy to haul his upright around. He's a great resource for me 'cause I have no string experience...

Saw my first video of Bruddah IZ on youtube yesterday, and I'm just blown away. I experienced a feeling about Hawaii and its culture that I never felt before. I watched the one were his ashes were scattered into the sea. This seems to have also transformed my feelings for the ukulele. I think I need to move to Hawaii and adopt the Hawaiian culture, not just learn the uke! Hmm... I bet there's an adjective for people who do that, huh? Is there a nice one? I'm a nice person. Can I say "aloha"?

Hikingstevo
06-27-2008, 08:40 AM
Hi everyone. :D

A friend of mine told me about this site and I'm glad he did. I've been playing for about 4-years after a visit to Maui. I really enjoy the ukulele and pick it and play every day.
Heres a link to a little website that I put together for newly formed ukulele club - The High Desert Sand Fleas. http://hdsfgcea.googlepages.com/
It's pretty simple but is working well for now.

Adios:cool:

Gypsydc
06-27-2008, 06:54 PM
Hello,

I'm Tammy. I've had my uke for a year and am just now finding the motivation to truly learn it. This site and Aldrine's lessons have given me hope. I'm having a blast actually making sounds that are somewhat melodic. I will try to visit Mike Da Silva's in Berkeley when you're all there in July. Thanks for the great site.

UkuleleBlake
06-28-2008, 12:26 AM
Hi, UU

My name is Ukulele Blake. Long time ukulele fan, just found the Ukulele Underground, so here I am. You can check me out at:
www.UkuleleBlake.moonfruit.com
www.Myspace.com/UkuleleBlake
www.Ukeland.com/pages/media/audio/users.cgi?Blake

Thanks.

thi5guy
07-01-2008, 08:44 AM
Hey all!

Jim here from the mainland Lakewood, ca (soCal). Picked up my first Uke three months ago in Oahu and been trying to play since then. Can't wait to see you guys perform at Island Bazzar, HB

Jim

phoenix.stu
07-01-2008, 02:18 PM
Hello and Aloha to everyone here.

My name is Stuart, I am 33yrs old and I just wanted to say a little about myself. I lived in Hawaii for 4years and played the uke off and on the whole time I was there. I then met my wife and we moved to Japan. I have been here for almost 5years now and I just decided to pick up playing the uke again. I recently wanted to learn guitar so I bought a new acoustic. Then my daughter(2yrs) was complaining so I bought her a cheap 30dollar uke(you know. . Baby guitar. LOL). That is what actually rekindled my uke passion. Then, I actually saw one of Aldrine's vids and now I am hooked again. Great stuff by the way Aldrine!!:)
Before, I had no formal training and now it is time for me to start learning all over again. :music:
I couldn't be more excited. After playing the name game with my wife. LOL. I just bought a G-String Concert Honu:love:. Like I said, it was tough going through my wife first. :rolleyes:

Anyway, this is me and now I can't wait to start sharing stories and things here.

UU RockS!!!

Stuart(Phoenix.stu)

PS.
I will post some pics of my new Uke in the beginner section. If anyone wants to see that is.
UPDATE: PICS HERE (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3873)

D.C.
07-02-2008, 05:31 PM
Hello all. My name is Dave. I've been playing uke for about 4 years or so. I live in Cape Coral, FL. I currently work for Martin (guess what uke i play....?). I've been a luthier (that's legaleese for guitar builder) since the late 1980's. I've worked on and off for some of the big guitar manufacturers over the years, and I've toured as a tech. and musician in between.

phoenix.stu
07-02-2008, 05:33 PM
Well, not only are you a fellow florida boy like me. I am from Gainesville. You are a legend.

Welcome to the UU my friend. Hope you enjoy it here.:rock:

schubi
07-03-2008, 12:05 AM
Aloha from Germany!

My name is Sebastian. I am 28 years old and live in Bad Homburg in Germany (in the near Frankfurt). I work as a police officer. I play the Uke for about one year: Last year I decided to have a hobby. I got an old Brüko Soprano Ukulele and I bought a german book "ukulelenschule". The first steps were easy and finally I looked in the Internet for nice uke lessons. And then I saw Aldrine's page on Iamhawii. Nice songs very good explained. And the virus got me...:bowdown:

I got four ukuleles: A Brüko Soprano, a Risa Soprano Solid, a Baton Rouge U6TCE and a Pono PKT1E. All nice Ukes, but the Pono ist the best one. In Germany the Pono Ukes are the best which are selled here.

I like this forum! Everyone is very nice and there are also nice informations for a beginner like me. So,

Keep strummin' and take care,

Schubi

hawaiianmusiclover06
07-03-2008, 12:52 AM
Aloha everyone! My name is Alana and I am from 'Ewa Beach, Hawai'i. I recently got my first 'ukulele. I been playing the 'ukulele for 2 weeks. I got a long road ahead of me. And I got the best 'ukulele teacher in the world to teach me.

Septic_Shock
07-03-2008, 05:49 AM
Hey, just wanted to introduce myself. Played the guitar back in college and have just recently gotten back into it. But last year my fiance started up with the uke and I've been playing her's some. Gotta say, I'm hooked. I'm currently shopping around for my first ukulele and she told me I had to get registered on UU. Very impressed not only with the site, but with the overall helpfulness and friendliness of the members.

-Septic
:rock::uhoh::rock:

virginia_barkley
07-03-2008, 05:51 AM
Did you know Chuck Norris' tears cure cancer?

Unfortunately, he never cries.

breitling
07-03-2008, 12:32 PM
I'm a new member and just wanted to say hello to everyone. I'm also new to the ukulele. Bought a Mitchell MU-70 two weeks ago and have been playing every day since.

A couple of questions: I seem to be having a problem keeping my instrument in tune. I tune it and an hour later it is out of tune. This is after two weeks of playing. It came with GHS black strings. Should I get new strings? Should I just be patient and continue to tune it constantly. I spend more time tuning the thing then I do anything else. Doing relative tuning I am becoming pretty familiar with the fret board though.

I have been watching a lot of Aldrine's videos and trying some of the lessons, at least playing the chords and trying to learn how to strum. My chunking technique is marginal at best! Hey thanks for all the great content. Aldrine are you ever planning of coming to Chicago for a gig?

Anyway, just dropped in to say hello....

Breitling

lovemissheather
07-05-2008, 01:32 PM
I'm a new member and just wanted to say hello to everyone. I'm also new to the ukulele. Bought a Mitchell MU-70 two weeks ago and have been playing every day since.

you'll be playing it EVERY DAY for a long, long time to come. the ukulele is a very addicting instrument. :) welcome!

SunsetN!nja
07-05-2008, 11:15 PM
Just sayin' Howdy Y'all to everyone here. I've been lurking for the past two weeks and this is really a great little forum. I just got a kala (KA-SC I think?) via MGM and all the praise you guys heap onto that him is well-deserved.

I got into the ukulele on a whim really. I've played guitar for something like 14 years and was looking for a travel guitar. I wandered into a neighborhood music store and noticed the ukes on the wall and started messing around with them. Then I started you-tubing for ukulele stuff and just got reeled in.

Funny thing is, I never got that travel guitar, but I think playing the uke has somehow added a new dimension to my guitar playing...

Gerald Ross
07-06-2008, 03:10 AM
Hello all,

I just discovered this forum. Looks like a fun place with some nice folks.

Thanks,

SamUke
07-06-2008, 11:55 AM
Hey guys Sam from St. Louis, MO. I have played uke for a little while, have popped in and out of these boards a lot and so I want to introduce myself.

Elk
07-07-2008, 12:25 PM
Cheers, everyone! I'm from LA, and I'v been dabbling on and off the ukulele for more then a year now, and I've been getting more and more into it the past couple months or so.

So, hello to everyone, and, ah, let's see where this takes me!

that_pete_guy
07-07-2008, 03:28 PM
Hey all!!! Just found this site the other day and decided it was a good time to say Hi. I've been playing uke for about 5 years now after a lifetime of feeling like a failure at guitar. Actually since picking up the uke I have become somewhat more adept at playing guitar...but uke is more fun;) Anyway...nice to be here!
Pete

UUHanapaa89
07-07-2008, 10:09 PM
Hey guys I'm pretty new on my Uke and on here but I have been a stalker and just read what everyone was sayin for a while... I go to UH Manoa but live in the Bay Area of Cali... I would love to get to know some of you guys and jam send me a message if your from the Bay...

Later

Brett

bREAd
07-08-2008, 03:16 AM
Hi i am Bread, i want play and become famous on the ukulele so i can live off it, i enjoy learning and improving.:rock:

Kanaka916
07-08-2008, 05:30 AM
Hey guys I'm pretty new on my Uke and on here but I have been a stalker and just read what everyone was sayin for a while... I go to UH Manoa but live in the Bay Area of Cali... I would love to get to know some of you guys and jam send me a message if your from the Bay...

Later

Brett
Brah, check this thread
(http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3760) and dis one (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201) and dis one (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=812).

UkuleleNick
07-09-2008, 06:57 AM
Hello,

I am UkuleleNick and I've been playing for approximately 7 months, since Christmas 2007. Trying to keep the UAS issues at a minimum here in lovely Cleveland, Ohio. Looks like a great board here.

-Nick

neovolver
07-09-2008, 08:25 PM
Hello, I am Neel :cool:

I am a neophyte in the world of music when it comes to producing/reproducing good sounds with an instrument. I got a tenor uke as a gift from my bro about a month ago and I've been enamoured ever since. I'm waiting for my license for the next month or so (To practice Chiropractic), so i'll be plucking and strumming as much as I can. I go from 15 minutes to 3 hours on certain days - i'm trying to play schizophrenic snowflake...all i can say is :bowdown: truly majestic piece.

Can't wait to get back to learning and playing

Plink

tomorrow777
07-09-2008, 09:48 PM
Hi! I joined this forum for tabs. Im from Saint Louis. I like watching uke covers on youtube alot. And hope to learn new songs on the ukulele. And Im a fan of Beirut, one of the best bands with ukuleles. Please let me know any ukulele bands or artist you like.:D

Tibby
07-10-2008, 08:46 AM
Hey! I'm new to the forum, and to Ukuleles. I've played Guitar and Mandolin for a number of years, but it's just time for a change, and I like the sound of the Ukulele. I'm grow to enjoy it through the music of Jack Johnson, and it seems like it's right up my ally.

ainokea
07-10-2008, 01:21 PM
Hey peeps,

New to the forum, started playing my Lanikai in March. Traded it on father's day for a beautiful mango wood concert Kala (gonna post some pics soon). I lived on Oahu for almost 2 years and discovered my love for the uke.

Also people must be tired of me correcting their pronunciation of ukulele.

One love,

Dizzle

here is the page with my uke, didn't buy it from here but this is the stuff.

http://www.stefansukulele.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=98&category_id=15&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26&vmcchk=1

Love
07-11-2008, 09:48 AM
the background- a seventeen year old from northern virgina with a taste for quirky things wants another instrument besides piano. so what does she get? a ukulele of course (:

So my name's Cynthia and I've been playing for about a month now. I've got an excellent acoustic/electric Oscar Schmidt. Trying to learn fingerpicking and some intense uke riffs.

deach
07-11-2008, 09:53 AM
the background- a seventeen year old from northern virgina with a taste for quirky things wants another instrument besides piano. so what does she get? a ukulele of course (:

So my name's Cynthia and I've been playing for about a month now. I've got an excellent acoustic/electric Oscar Schmidt. Trying to learn fingerpicking and some intense uke riffs.

Doesn't your neck from doing that?

there's a few of us here from NoVa. I'm in Leesburg.

Love
07-11-2008, 10:07 AM
Cool. I'm in Alexandria.

Waterguy
07-11-2008, 03:59 PM
I am loving this site.

I first picked up a Uke over 30 years ago. I picked it up at a local side walk sale. I thought I was buying a small guitar,

My Dad knows art. I showed him my 7.00$ purchace (no, I am not kidding) and he told me what it was. He also went to the trouble of getting me some strings (small guitar had none), pitch pipe, and a book.

I strung it, and learned some cords. I got pretty good at improvising cord patterns. Went to a camp ground with the Uke, improvised some stuff, heard aplause from a nearby campsight, and put down the instrument for....give or take....30 years.

I'm pretty sure that at this point I am over my self-esteem issues.

I stumbled on Jake's version of "While my Guitar Gently Weeps" on Youtube. Like all who heard it, I was blown away. I also started to think "It might be time to restart the Uke".

Long story short....(SOB...To Late)...

PIcked up a Mahalo at my local music store(only uke they carry). Cam't seem to put it down. I upgraded to the Aquila concerts, and the instrument started to sing.

I'm having a real hard time keeping my hands off of the Mahalo. I pick it up, and I only put it down when my hands start to hurt. I have ordered a KALA spruce top tenor from MGM. I have plans for other Ukes.

I may belong here.

Whether I do or not, I want to say hello to all and THANKYOU to Aldrine and the rest for putting together one hell of a site.

ytsir2010
07-11-2008, 06:08 PM
Hey everyone,

I'm colton
Played ukulele since yesterday

I play a Mahalo, it was the only kind they had at the store

iUkulele
07-11-2008, 06:26 PM
Howdy Everyone!! :)

My name is Robbie
How many years have I played the ukulele? Um.. none. Ha ha. Im going to learn really soon though. :) I listend to many covers on youtube, and it really inspired me. I know how to play a little bit of the guitar, but I decided to try the ukulele. Im going to order a concert makala off of ebay from musicguymic, soon. Since.. they do NOT carry any ukuleles where I live.. :( . Anyways.. thought I would come by and say hi!! :)

rclifford13
07-11-2008, 09:36 PM
hey, i'm rob, from melbourne, australia.

i have been playing uke for 3 years. i am a tragic sufferer of UAS (ukulele acquisition syndrome).
ukes are great for busking. thats why i'm here.

:D

azoobus
07-12-2008, 11:51 AM
Hi, I'm Harpreet, from Canada. This is my second day of "playing" the ukulele, but I've been admiring it for a long time. (:

rt1965
07-12-2008, 01:10 PM
Hey everyone, Rich from Chandler, AZ here. I have been playing guitar for a few years now and I just picked up the ukelele about 8 months ago. I think I suffer more from UAS than I do from GAS. These little things are so addicting.

Anyway, I started with a KoAloha Soprano and quickly figured out I didn't like the small size. So I moved up to a KoAloha Tenor and loved it. I added a KoAloah Pineapple Sunday shortly after. The tenor is gone for reasons I'm not sure of, and I am looking at several options for a replacement right now.

I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone here!

marmalade
07-12-2008, 02:13 PM
Hey everyone im Ollie and from England

Ive been 'playing' the Ukulele for about 4 days after buying one a little bit drunk at a festival but its the best thing ive ever done and im really interested in learning more and getting better.
This is one of my first musical instruments I have ever got and I spent the last few days trying to tune it lol. also over the past few days ive been stuck on youtube looking at video after video. This Ukulele seems great!

owensd
07-12-2008, 09:19 PM
Hey, I'm Dave from just outside of Detroit, Michigan. I just started to learn to play a couple days ago and went ahead and bought a Kala Tenor from MGM. I was introduced to this site through Aldrine's youtube videos and thought I would check it out.

SuperSecretBETA
07-13-2008, 09:39 AM
Salutations to all!

They call me SuperSecretBETA (Yes, that is my birth name.[/sarcasm]). I hail from the southern parts of a vast land called California.

Four moons ago, I purchased an Applause UA 10 soprano ukulele with a traditional sound hole, crafted in the nation of China from the Ovation family, through an online merchant.

Unfortunately, my royal blood grants me little authority in the Ukulele Underground, and I must begin as a Junior Member of this grand coalition. I ask for no special treatment.

For Love and Liberty!

upskydowncloud
07-13-2008, 12:53 PM
Hey I'm John from Newcastle/London in England. I bought my first ukuelele from Scotty's Music in Kauai, I played for a while then reached my limit. I now have a curly koa Lanikai ukulele and really enjoy it.

I found this site through youtube and totally regained my interest in the ukulele. It's a real pleasure to be able to learn to play things like the tetris theme tune and other cool songs as opposed to she'll be coming over the mountain or on top of old smokey. Seeing Aldrine in places I recognise in the lessons really makes me wish I could be there!

This is an excellent website! Good work everyone.

crossroads-music.org
07-14-2008, 03:31 AM
I've been playing 3 years here in the midwest.

Kanaka916
07-14-2008, 04:10 AM
To all the new guys/gals - E Komo Mai . . . Hope all of you find this site informative as well as enjoyable.

monkfish
07-14-2008, 06:06 AM
Hi, I'm Jim and I just started playing about 7 weeks ago. I have no guitar training, and I picked up the uke becuase it seemed less daunting to learn. I love it. Just ordered a concert Jenny from Bushman and I'm very excited to upgrade from the $30 toy I bought to test the waters.

I'm hooked. I do a daily show at my blog at www.jimkukral.com and I have been incorporating my ukulele playing/learning into that show. I'll soon be performing songs I've learned on video too. They won't be great, but hey, I'm learning and it's fun for me.

Jim Kukral

Jordie
07-14-2008, 08:31 PM
G'day all!

Jordie from a little olde town we like to call Bris-vegas on the east coast of Australia.

I bought a uke and took it back packing with me for a year...stopping off at internet cafes here and there to get new tabs songs.

Been playing for almost 2 years now...and am currently rocking out on a Pono Tenor.

Peace

14twelve
07-14-2008, 08:36 PM
G'day all!

Jordie from a little olde town we like to call Bris-vegas on the east coast of Australia.

I bought a uke and took it back packing with me for a year...stopping off at internet cafes here and there to get new tabs songs.

Been playing for almost 2 years now...and am currently rocking out on a Pono Tenor.

Peace

Hey Jordie!!
Welcome to the boards from another Brisbanite :)
I think we're the only two here, but there are others from Sydney and Melbourne.

richB
07-16-2008, 04:19 AM
Hey everyone,

I was online and saw this forum by accident. I've been all over youtube searching uk vids tryin the "teach yourself by watching videos" method. Damn! I didn't get too far, but I'll keep trying. Just want to learn to play decent.
Anyhows, have a good day and thanks in advance.

Rich

Tootle
07-16-2008, 06:03 AM
Hi, my name is Tootle.

Time on the uke: none

I'm waiting to win an auction on ebay for my first uke. If I don't win that auction, I'm looking to grab a Kala Ka-Kc-ct from MGM. i can't wait to get my uke in the mail.

I just got married in Lana'i and we honeymooned there. That's where I fell in love with the sound of the uke, but we didn't have time to find a good one while we were there. A nice new uke is my husband's wedding gift to me so that I can play us "White Sandy Beach" (our wedding song) for the rest of our lives.

I have fallen in love with this forum already. Thanks UU!

russ_buss
07-16-2008, 06:21 AM
Hi, my name is Tootle.

Time on the uke: none

I'm waiting to win an auction on ebay for my first uke. If I don't win that auction, I'm looking to grab a Kala Ka-Kc-ct from MGM. i can't wait to get my uke in the mail.

I just got married in Lana'i and we honeymooned there. That's where I fell in love with the sound of the uke, but we didn't have time to find a good one while we were there. A nice new uke is my husband's wedding gift to me so that I can play us "White Sandy Beach" (our wedding song) for the rest of our lives.

I have fallen in love with this forum already. Thanks UU!

congrats on your nuptials. great first post! looks like you have a well defined game plan and a goal. good for you!

anyway, welcome to the UU!

uprock12
07-16-2008, 11:18 AM
What's crackin' everyone? :D My name is Jon. I'm from San Jose, CA. Been playing the uke for 2 years and it's one of the greatest instruments ever! I also play piano, guitar and drums. I'm into Christian and Gospel music! Are there any Christians out there playing for the King???? YEAH! PEACE:music:

e10rice
07-17-2008, 04:29 AM
Whats up everyone im Daniel. I dont play the uke but im in the process of looking for one now. I live over on the east coast of the main land in virginia. my dads orginally from oahu and left when he was 17 to join the navyand hasn't been back since. so now im just tryin to get back into my family heritage and enjoy some hawaiian music.

Kanaka916
07-17-2008, 05:13 AM
Whats up everyone im Daniel. I dont play the uke but im in the process of looking for one now. I live over on the east coast of the main land in virginia. my dads orginally from oahu and left when he was 17 to join the navyand hasn't been back since. so now im just tryin to get back into my family heritage and enjoy some hawaiian music.
When you get your uke check out TSH (http://www.tropicalstormhawaii.com/) for local kine music. You can also check Huapala (http://huapala.org/) for traditional stuff, no chords - lyrics only. Your dad should remember some of the songs he grew up with. Oh yea, E Komo Mai . . .

lbullock
07-18-2008, 07:52 AM
Hi, I'm a musician of some thirty five years (semi-professional) whose main instrument has been guitar. Don't know quite how it happened, but I fell in love with a soprano uke in The Starving Musician in Berkeley CA, bought it and have just purchased an Oscar Schmidt Concert Koa. Wanted to join a forum to ask questions, so here I am!

Kanaka916
07-18-2008, 08:36 AM
Hi, I'm a musician of some thirty five years (semi-professional) whose main instrument has been guitar. Don't know quite how it happened, but I fell in love with a soprano uke in The Starving Musician in Berkeley CA, bought it and have just purchased an Oscar Schmidt Concert Koa. Wanted to join a forum to ask questions, so here I am!
You can catch the UU Staff (Aldrine, Ryan and Aaron) tonight at DaSilva's. Click here (http://ukuleleunderground.com/2008/07/07/california-tour-just-10-days-away/) for more info. BTW, welcome!

LookItsRaph
07-18-2008, 04:15 PM
umm... im new here to your guys fourms! buuut cheya... seen alot of your members post up some sick vids of the uke on youtube! got inspired to play better so figured i'd signed up. hoping when i get a camera soon i can post my own vids up =D

so howzit! im raph, and once i get really really really good at uke then maybe my artist name Rai will be better known someday lol. havent been playing uke for very long but my friends tell me that i have alotta potential with it (considering them being musicians themselves, producing, rapping, and having a band).

i tend to pick up songs very fast... but im not so sure if i play them right. also tend to write to the melodies i play... and im thinking bout recording them on my friends computer to put out on myspace =]

but i know i still have ALOT to learn, and yea im pretty sure joining this fourm with others that are sooo passionate about the uke will help me get better at the craft.

im kinda late into the music scene at 18, but yea im willing to open my ears like i always do and soak up whatever people have to say. Philippines born, Stateside raised, Laid back hawaiian at heart lol.

and deng... sorry its kinda long lol but shoooootz!

p081002
07-18-2008, 04:40 PM
Name: Raph
Loc: Federal Way, WA (south of seattle)

Just started playing the uke not to long ago then I stabbed my middle finger with an exacto knife so took me out of ukulele commission for a bit. But I'm back all is good. And if your wondering how I stabbed my finger, I was working on putting an arm rest into my 88 crx. Just got myself a cup holder from a 94 integ and going to put that one in soon. But this time I'll use a dremel. =)

deach
07-18-2008, 09:53 PM
Name: Raph
Loc: Federal Way, WA (south of seattle)

Just started playing the uke not to long ago then I stabbed my middle finger with an exacto knife so took me out of ukulele commission for a bit. But I'm back all is good. And if your wondering how I stabbed my finger, I was working on putting an arm rest into my 88 crx. Just got myself a cup holder from a 94 integ and going to put that one in soon. But this time I'll use a dremel. =)

I love those old CRX's. I had an '86....Well back in 1986. Damn I'm old.

s0me0ner
07-18-2008, 10:38 PM
Name: Olivier (not Oliver but Olivier)

Got into playing uke almost as a joke with my wife. For christmas 2007, she asked me what I wanted so I told her to buy me a ukulele (I am just a nut for out of the ordinary hobbies, I also ride unicycles for another hobby). It ends up that she rose to the challenge and bought me a cheap mahalo. I since then upgraded to another uke and love it more than ever.

MR Bulk
07-19-2008, 10:56 AM
...what a great site! Someone just pointed me here yesterday so I thought I would make my first post. Going to bed now (work midnight shifts) but will come back with more info later.

Thanks!

Dominator
07-19-2008, 07:48 PM
Hi Charlie,
Nice to see you here. A little different atmosphere here than maybe what you are used to.

e10rice
07-20-2008, 05:07 AM
When you get your uke check out TSH (http://www.tropicalstormhawaii.com/) for local kine music. You can also check Huapala (http://huapala.org/) for traditional stuff, no chords - lyrics only. Your dad should remember some of the songs he grew up with. Oh yea, E Komo Mai . . .

oh man thanks. thats some great music.

rem001
07-20-2008, 05:12 AM
Hey, I'm Rémi, French and I've started ukulele 3 weeks ago. And i love it ^^

MR Bulk
07-20-2008, 05:25 AM
Thanks Dom, yeah I get the feeling there are actually a lot more Hawaiians here!

uke142464
07-20-2008, 07:19 AM
Name: Olivier (not Oliver but Olivier)

Got into playing uke almost as a joke with my wife. For christmas 2007, she asked me what I wanted so I told her to buy me a ukulele (I am just a nut for out of the ordinary hobbies, I also ride unicycles for another hobby). It ends up that she rose to the challenge and bought me a cheap mahalo. I since then upgraded to another uke and love it more than ever.

bonjour, mon ami, tu parles francais? J'&#233;tudie le francais dans l'&#233;cole...
hehe, hows meh french
(I also can unicycle):nana:
just went to montreal with my friend to watch the grand prix, but of course hamilton had to screw up

Britna
07-20-2008, 04:24 PM
Hello!

I'm Brittany from CA.

been playing for 4 days... lol
love it.

Concert Mitchell MU-70

Kekani
07-20-2008, 04:28 PM
Thanks Dom, yeah I get the feeling there are actually a lot more Hawaiians here!

There are. How's the uke - collecting dust?

-Aaron

toyrtle
07-21-2008, 12:58 AM
Hello,

I've been lurking for a couple of weeks and finally decided to introduce myself.....I'm currently in Melbourne, Australia and I am a floundering intermediate uke player. I'm trying to challenge myself a bit more now instead of just sticking to familiar territory. I plan to purchase a couple of nice ukes in the next couple of years and want to be worthy of them....

Anyway, I really enjoy UU and look forward to getting to know everyone!

salsarocket
07-21-2008, 06:42 AM
Hey people!

I'm Tony, and I'm from outside Chicago. I've been trying to play uke for about a year and a half. I haven't really gotten that far with it. But I will not give up!

I have no idea what kind of uke I have. It was a gift. Anyone heard of Leolani brand?

m.angelo
07-21-2008, 10:17 AM
k'musta all!

So I'm Mike. I'm born and raised in Chicago. I've casually played guitar since I was a kid. A few months ago I came across Aldrine's videos on youtube and became interested in ukuleles. From there I started to watch many more videos and I fell in love with those sweet, mellow tones. I just picked up my first uke, a Lanikai LU-21T and I'm really excited to tap into the resource of knowledge here at ukulele underground!

Trevorbar
07-22-2008, 07:40 PM
hey guys.
i'm trevor. i live in socal 626 area

my cousin just gave me his schmidt ou5 koa so i just started playing. (i dance polynesian, so i've played it many times. i just never owned one)

Kanaka916
07-22-2008, 07:48 PM
k'musta all!

So I'm Mike. I'm born and raised in Chicago. I've casually played guitar since I was a kid. A few months ago I came across Aldrine's videos on youtube and became interested in ukuleles. From there I started to watch many more videos and I fell in love with those sweet, mellow tones. I just picked up my first uke, a Lanikai LU-21T and I'm really excited to tap into the resource of knowledge here at ukulele underground!
Ya gotta hook up with seeso . . .

Maritoze
07-22-2008, 08:22 PM
Hello, The names Mario
From the bay :)
been playing the uke for about 3 months now and I cant stop :)

laietildaend
07-23-2008, 02:38 PM
im Ben frum oahu

laietildaend
07-23-2008, 02:38 PM
and born in georgia

laietildaend
07-23-2008, 02:42 PM
flip deres a
billion of people on deze
forumz
anyone from arisona?

chefcp
07-24-2008, 07:12 AM
hey there. my names Carl. CP for short. cuz my parents decided to give me 2 first names...carl philip. i live in the bay area (510 area) and ive been playing for about 3 years.

ColinB
07-24-2008, 08:15 PM
Just realised I haven't introduced myself here, yet - hello everybody!

Deug
07-25-2008, 10:16 AM
Hi everybody !

I find this thing to intruduce myself !

My name is Cyril , I'm 14 years old and I'm French .
I discover this forum when I saw the link in the description of a great performer who's moderator here , Seeso ;)

So, I play Ukulele , Guitar , Harmonica , Flute , Kazoo , some Percussions and I make some sing , vocal performance ( some things like Bobby McFerrin ) and perform beatbox 2 years ago !

So what I can say more ?

Long live to the Uke!

mamaoftrix
07-26-2008, 02:06 PM
Hi,

I am Ani, and have been playing uke about 1 year. I am the mother of a 5 year old, and a teacher. I drink too much diet coke, and wear crocs. I also have been deeply impressed by the amazing uke players on this forum and look forward to learning a lot. I live in Sunnyvale California, and am looking for a cool uke teacher. Anyone have any reccomendations?

Take Care!

oudkulele
07-29-2008, 09:39 AM
Hi folks,

Name: Guilhem

Ukes : got 2 i bought as travel instruments. I don't consider myself as playing ukulele as i have never been seriously "working" any instruments i own (guitars, ouds, tinwhistles, cajon)... Got a kind of UAS but for all instruments!

Why am I here? : got to thank 2 guys for that.

The first one is Seeso. I was looking for "Ain't no sunshine" on Youtube and I found him & his uke. His cover was so good...could not stop watching it again and again... It was not about good sound or technique but it just sent a shiver down my spine. That's what music is all about! Thanks for that man (and the tabs on UU).

The 2nd is Aldrine. His lessons for beginners are very, very good. You watch it, you want to try it! Just what i need.

The 2 ukes are now back on the sofa (begging for a brother...) with the ouds.

Keep on uking!

Guilhem.

brucesly
07-29-2008, 12:05 PM
Newbie from San Diego.

Wanna say Hello to everyone at UU... Thanks for all the tips and posts.

My son and I have been playing uke for a few months now and love it.

Hope post some vids of my son's and my progress.

I'm afraid my son is going to be better than me.

Aloha and Mahalo!

imymemine
07-29-2008, 07:07 PM
I'm Janel. I was born and raised in Hawaii (Kalihi CHEEPONO!) and now living in the central coast of California.

I first played some ukulele in 4th grade and some again in the 6th learning the very basics at that time but having no interest in it other than it was required for music class. And then I moved up to CA circa '06 and got an ukulele more as a memento than something I wanted to play since I never had much enthusiasm and perseverance to practice. But about a week ago I got motivated to play ukulele thanks to sites like UU and others, and a bunch of youtube vids.

So, technically, I guess I could say I've been a beginner uke player for almost 8 years haha :p

baldovi08
07-30-2008, 05:01 AM
Hi all!

The name is Romy Jr, Prefer being called Jay.

Well well. Born and raised in Kalihi. Still here. I dont know how to leave this place. Family bought me and ukelele this past christmas but never bothered to learn how to play till now. Was watching some youtube videos and stumbled upon this place in hopes that i can learn a think or two.

So you know what that means? I'm a total noob/beginner at this.

Thanks for reading!
-jay

Dilphat
07-30-2008, 09:48 AM
Hi

Name: Dexter

Just wanted to get on and start learning to play the uke :D .
hope with the forum, i can start learning! lol

nikulele
07-31-2008, 01:53 PM
Name: Nikki

Live in: astoria OR

been playing: bout a year

Love the help on songs when I go thru the forum--very cool

rabbit
07-31-2008, 02:17 PM
Name: rabbit

Time on Ukulele: weeks

Already love music and have other types of instruments
that I can't play. Learning to love ukulele & ukulele culture.

Kanaka916
07-31-2008, 02:44 PM
Where are you located in NorCal?

rabbit
07-31-2008, 02:59 PM
Kanaka916,

My home is in Santa Rosa.

I'm in Fallbrook, near San Diego, on
a little medical 'business.'

Maybe we're nieghbors yes,no?

rabbit

Kanaka916
07-31-2008, 03:15 PM
Unfortunately, I'm in the Capitol City (Sac/EG). However, there are a quite a few players in the Bay area. Check out this thread (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=812) for the next meet. You can also get hold of Russ buss. There's a bunch of knowledgeable and very talented folks in the Bay Area. Might be worth checking out.

rabbit
08-01-2008, 01:13 AM
Kanaka916,

Thanks for the interest & the
'heads up.' It could be a couple
of months before I return home
but I'll remember.

rabbit

Kanaka916
08-01-2008, 05:13 AM
There's an enormous ukulele community in SD and up the north coast (Oceanside and Carlsbad, approx. 35-40 north on 5). You might be able to hook up with the members down there. NukeDoc has a band and they play on Tuesdays at Mo's Island Grinds. You can check out this thread for more info (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4431) . . .

rabbit
08-01-2008, 06:44 AM
But, but...do I deserve this much fun?

Thanks, I'll be checking it out soon as I can.

turk128
08-02-2008, 09:18 AM
hey im Aidan

i live in Delaware (yeah i know)
and ive been playing for like 3 weeks now, and i somehow stumbled onto this site

oh and i recently got 2nd in a talent show by playing "the lion sleeps tonite" on the ukulele (i got the chords off this site)

dinkadink
08-05-2008, 09:56 AM
Hey everyone! I'm Heather from San Jose, CA. I've been playing my Uke for about a year. I am a singer since age 5 and never played any instrument. I'm a total ukulele addict now! I play a Martin soprano, but would love to get my hands on a tenor! Saving my pennies....

I make custom jack-in-the-box toys for a living, and have a little studio here in San Jose.

Nice to meet you all!