PDA

View Full Version : Introduce Yourself!

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8

VermontUke
08-06-2008, 02:58 AM
Hey Gang, My name is Adam, I live in Vermont, i have been playing Ukulele for about a year and a half. I play an Ohana Soprano and an Oscar Schmidt Concert. I also have a Johnson Soprano that i started with, but i dont play it too often with my new upgrades.i am doing my best to get better and better, and i am having fun the whole time.

Adam
Here are my Ukuleles, they are lined up Ohana, Johnson, Oscar Schmidt.
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa218/APLAXAR/3ukes-1.jpg

UkeCanDoIt!
08-07-2008, 08:42 PM
Hi, my name is Matt. I recently moved to Chandler, Arizona from Madison, Wisconsin. A lot prompted the move and it just seemed like the perfect time. I lost my job last year, which, in turn caused my wife to leave me and the eventual foreclosure of my home. With the exception of my job, I lost everything that I loved. I went through a lot and worked up the courage, with some encouragement from a friend, to move on with my life and start fresh. Well, it's not been easy as I've been having a difficult time finding a job. I've slowly burned through my savings and I'm doing what I can to not completely freak out. I've always loved ukuleles, but never had the courage to get one and learn to play. The thing I love most about them is that I consider them to be a "fun" instrument. Even if they're not played well, there is still good entertainment in the attempt. I'm not really sure why I'm here because I don't own a ukulele. While I don't have the money to buy even a cheap ukulele, I guess I'm here to make some friends and find my smile again. Ukuleles and the people who play them are good for that, right?

~ Matt

rabbit
08-08-2008, 04:05 AM
UkeCanDoIt!

Hello and welcome.
I'm new here too and new to uke.

Just want to add, I can relate to your pain.
Hang in there man, and if you can,
get any old cheap uke. And hang out
& study here, of course.

"el conejo"

Kanaka916
08-08-2008, 04:58 AM
Matt, welcome aboard! So very sorry to hear about the situation you're in but also glad to hear you're moving on. It'll take some time for the wounds to heal but hopefully everything will work out. And to put a smile on your face, check out the Videos and Links forum (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6), great videos from the members struttin their stuff. And when you do get your uke, watch out!

Tim
08-08-2008, 03:24 PM
Hi everyone... from Oahu born and raised, been in Calif. since 1980. Just picked up my old Uke from the 4th grade. Classic vintage Kamaka from the 50's that cost $14 back then. :eek:
So long story short..I got UAS bad, the old Kamaka needed repair so I bought a Kiwaya pineapple KS-4P to hold me over. But that wasn't enough so I picked up a 1997 Kamaka Tenor today from this guy up the street. :D The thing has never been played! Went down to Island Bazaar to pick up some Low G Aquila's and my old school UKE was sitting there. The guy did an incredible job repairing it. Might be selling the pineapple. ;)

Ok...I'm not bragging cuz I can't play for shit....yet, just wanted to introduce myself and jump in wit both feet.

Looks like an awesome board and I hope to learn allot from you guys. I have a question about the strings I put on the Tenor...I'll post that over at the Beginner board.

Thanks

thesoobz
08-08-2008, 09:02 PM
Hi im the soobz or soobin kim
originally from South Korea

i have been playing for about 1.5 months.

-thesoobz!

guitar2adam
08-11-2008, 10:01 AM
My name is Adam.
I am from Indianapolis, Indiana.
I have played ukulele for one year.
I have played guitar for 10 years.

HI@heart
08-11-2008, 01:23 PM
Despite having tried multiple instruments in my youth (trumpet, guitar, banjo and guitar again) and early adult years (flamenco guitar and congas) I never stuck with anything musical long enough to get good let alone perform outside my own closet :p. Having never applying myself to learning to read music well, I resort to playing by ear and chord charts.

Fast forward to age 45. A [wonderful] wife, a [old] house, a [jewel of a] son, a [few] extra lbs. and [thankfully] a steady job.

I love Hawaii. The islands, ocean, people, food, music, climate, history and culture. Having visited Hawaii for the first time 20 years ago [honeymoon :] and gone back about half a dozen times since, every time I return I rack my brain how to move there for good. As a native of Seattle I never had the urge to leave until my first trip to Hawaii.

So upon returning from a recent trip about two years ago and wanting to adopt some Hawaiian culture I took up outrigger canoeing as a more body-friendly activity after busting a collarbone playing [old guy] lacrosse. I have to say I love it. Although not in true "open" water it's a rush, be it on an OC-1 or grinding away in an OC-6. Becoming one with the wa'a, a crew and the water you feel a real connection to the roots of the Pacific islands.

I also love Hawaiian music so I picked up an instrument again. Yeah. It's compact, has only four strings, a short neck and a sound that's...Hawaiian. It's familiar enough to pick up and make sound come out of it. Easy enough to take basic chords and play a song or two. Hard enough if I really try something challenging with chords or strumming. Picking, singing (and playing outside my closet :) are somewhere down the road and over-the-rainbow. I've not even scratched the surface with it yet but I know for one thing. I love it too. I pick it up after a stressful day or during one of those infamous wet and grey Seattle days and the sun shines again in my world :)

The inexpensive Lanikai soprano I've plinked on for the past year will soon have a stable mate, a 60's era Kamaka :D I can't wait to see and hear the difference!

Geez. Sorry for the long rant. Anyway, glad to be here amongst other uku nuts. I have a lot to learn and consider UU a great inspiration, support group and resource.

Malama pono.

T

Kanaka916
08-11-2008, 03:03 PM
Ehh, Welcome to UU . . . what better way to bring the Islands to you than a Uke? Check out TSH for traditional and contemporary Hawaiian music (chords and lyrics). I'm pretty sure there is a good size Hawaiian community there. Get with some of the "locals" and see if they kanikapila every so often. Das a good way to learn and pick up some playing tips. As far as the Kamaka goes, you'll definetly hear a difference.

HI@heart
08-11-2008, 03:54 PM
Ehh, Welcome to UU . . . what better way to bring the Islands to you than a Uke? Check out TSH for traditional and contemporary Hawaiian music (chords and lyrics). I'm pretty sure there is a good size Hawaiian community there. Get with some of the "locals" and see if they kanikapila every so often. Das a good way to learn and pick up some playing tips. As far as the Kamaka goes, you'll definetly hear a difference.

Mahalo for the welcome Kanaka916. Yeah, I have yet to dive too far into TSH yet but what I've seen so far it looks like a great resource.

SUPA (Seattle Ukulele Players Association) is the local uku group but I've yet to make one of their song circles. Gotta make the time!

Later!

tomthacker
08-12-2008, 03:13 PM
Hello everyone, my name is Tom, I bought a ukulele a few years back for my grandson so he could have a "Guitar" like mine. I played around with it a little and pretty much forgot about it. I play guitar and banjo. Then I stumbled upon some excelent ukule music, and now I am trying to learn to play it myself. The size makes it almost to easy to take along where the guitar or banjo would be a nuisance, and the beauty of fretted instruments is that I can take every thing I know about the guitar, or the banjo and use it on the uke, and then every new trick I learn on the uke I can take back to the guitar and the banjo. I have a Lanikai Pineapple soprano, and a Lanikai concert. I also have the raw materials and plans to make my own spruce top, cypress back and sides, tenor. Now I just need the ambition.

tbone
08-13-2008, 05:27 AM
Hello, my name is Tom and I actually became aware of Aldrine and company on IAH.

I picked up a uke about three years ago when I stumbled into a uke hut on the big island. Here I thought (like many) what a cute little instrument. While I was in there, on the wall, was an article with some guy named Jake Shima--something or other. Couldn't afford (or thought it silly to spend that kind of money on an ukulele) So for twenty bucks I got my first uke at an ABC store.

When I got home from the islands, I goggled this guys' name and found out that he would be playing at an art house about an hour from where I lived. When I asked friends and family if they would like to go to an ukulele show........ I went alone that night and saw a jaw dropping performance.

To shorten this story, within a month I got a Lanikai (no offense ABC store) and started to save for the next time I went to Hawaii for a uke made in the islands. So from a twenty dollar ABC store soprano, to a Lanakai soprano, I now have a tenor Mele that I got this year.

Saw Jake perform again this year and he is as awesome as ever.

tbone

mdc614
08-13-2008, 03:12 PM
Been playing Uke for maybe a few weeks now. I built one just so I could play it. Sounds pretty good but no electronics on it so its natural.... Inspired by IZ and Jake a few years ago when living in Kailua. You can always teach an old dog new tricks - that is my motto.

ke leo
08-13-2008, 03:21 PM
Name: Greg
Location: Rancho Santa Margarita, CA (next to Mission Viejo; close to Irvine; in South Orange County; look it up on a map already!)
Ukulele Playing: 3 years, 1 regularly

ukehero
08-14-2008, 06:50 AM
Hello - Paul here, from the UK, just picked up my first uke and eager to learn!

nico
08-14-2008, 09:54 AM
I'm Nicola, and I'm seventeen years old.

As of this post I have been playing the uke for a whole 8 hours! I literally just started, and am a complete uke n00b :D

I've played guitar since I was nine so that tends to help a lot :music:

Guting
08-14-2008, 07:36 PM
I'm Nicola, and I'm seventeen years old.

As of this post I have been playing the uke for a whole 8 hours! I literally just started, and am a complete uke n00b :D

I've played guitar since I was nine so that tends to help a lot :music:

yay !

pebbleInDaPacific
08-15-2008, 06:42 AM
:music:Hi!

I'm originally from the Island of Guam, also living in Seattle! I have been playing the ukulele for a good 3 months now...Well, actually for a good month and a half now, as I did have a little distraction from a lil something called Metal Gear Solid 4. hehe...

Anyway, I have been wanting to play the ukulele for a long time now, and I just got my first one in May when my girlfriend went to Hawaii and bought me one at the swap meet there. I fiddled around with it for a little bit before I got distracted. I then discovered that two of my cousins, who are up here in Washington, also have uke's and are fairly new to playing as well.

Well, we just had our first jam session and plan on doing more. I know that they have a Uke org up here (SUPA) that gets together every month and maybe we'll go join them this weekend when they jam. I did find a shop up here too called DUSTY STRINGS in Fremont for those Of you in the Northwest area (HI@HEART) that is a heaven for every uke player, as they have walls of ukulele's there. I did purchase a new Kamaka HF-1 Soprano, so coughing up that much moolah, I know I have to get serious with playing. The ultimate uke they have in hand there is the 8-string Kamaka Tenor which sounds soo sweet!

Anyway, I'm glad to be here! Aldrine and his videos are awesome! This site is awesome! The Uke is Awesome! If there are any plans on promoting in the great Northwest, i'm in! Hope the online store goes up soon, I wanna rep the Hoodie up here!

Let the journey begin... :rock:

HI@heart
08-15-2008, 11:26 AM
pebble,

I didn't know Dusty Strings had such an assortment of ukuleles. Nice to know. I might stop by in my way home tonight to take a look. Just to look! Congrats on your investment in the HF-1. I'm sure it's a beauty. I'm waiting on my 60's era Kamaka soprano to show up on Monday :D:D:D

Perhaps I'll see you at the SUPA circle this September. Don't forget the "Live Aloha!" event at Seattle Center September 7th too!

Have fun and stay cool today. Kinda toasty for Seattle but it feels good eh?

Live aloha

Kanaka916
08-15-2008, 11:59 AM
:music:Hi!
. . . ultimate uke they have in hand there is the 8-string Kamaka Tenor which sounds soo sweet!

Let the journey begin... :rock:
Hafa Dai and welcome to UU . . . nah, I'm not Guamanian but have met many during my service years. Just a great bunch of guys. Anyway, there's a good number of players from Guam (davoomac (mod), ChamorroDT) so you're in good company. You also gotta check out Ryan Imamura (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3507) vids, he's freakin good. You mentioned a Kamaka 8 string, here's one from the Marketplace (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3507).

pebbleInDaPacific
08-15-2008, 12:52 PM
Good Luck! on "just looking" when you go to Dusty Strings. That's just what I had in mind when I went there last weekend, but came home with the HF-1 instead. I couldn't resist and don't regret the purchase one bit! haha, If I had more money, I would buy another one! I'll probably go this weekend again. :D

I didn't know about the Seattle Center Event, but i'll check it out now! Thanks for the heads up and the welcome! Hope to see you around sometime!

Mahalo!

or as we say on Guam,
Si yu'os ma'ase

pebbleInDaPacific
08-15-2008, 12:58 PM
Hafa Dai and welcome to UU . . . nah, I'm not Guamanian but have met many during my service years. Just a great bunch of guys. Anyway, there's a good number of players from Guam (davoomac (mod), ChamorroDT) so you're in good company. You also gotta check out Ryan Imamura (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3507) vids, he's freakin good. You mentioned a Kamaka 8 string, here's one from the Marketplace (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3507).

thanks for the welcome! I look forward to being part of the movement and glad to know there are some boys from the rock!:D

haolejohn
08-15-2008, 05:51 PM
I never did introduce my self on here it appears. My name is John aka "Haupia" or haolejohn or keonimanua (given to me by Bu La'ia). Anyways, I am a teacher that loves the ukulele. I discovered my joy after trying to play the guitar for so many years and then I moved to Maui and loved the way the uke sound. I buy one and then it just sits in its case for months at a time. Now I own three (gave first one away) and I got UAS bad. I play christian music and make up songs for the kids. I own a concert, tenor, tenor 6 string. I am trying to teach the wife and I love this site. Anyone from Georgia?

HI@heart
08-16-2008, 04:04 AM
Good Luck! on "just looking" when you go to Dusty Strings. That's just what I had in mind when I went there last weekend, but came home with the HF-1 instead. I couldn't resist and don't regret the purchase one bit! haha, If I had more money, I would buy another one! I'll probably go this weekend again. :D

Wow! I've know of Dusty Strings for years but never made it a regular destination. I was blown away at the wall of ukuleles and and the selection they had. The lowest price ukulele were some Fleas and went all the way up to a Martin at over $3,000. Since buying my first ukulele about a year ago, I'd never played anything bigger than a soprano or more expensive than a $65 Lanikai. There was Kiwaya, Pono, Kamaka, Martin, G-String, Ko'olau...sopranos to baratones, 4 strings to 8 strings. I was in heaven and spent about an hour there playing a great many of them. :D To my surprise there was a 4-string Kamaka tenor that sounded well, weak. Perhaps it was the strings they had on it but I couldn't get it to speak up. I especially liked having an opportunity to play a very nice vintage Kamaka pineapple with quite a voice, at $2,200! One of my favs was a mango Pono tenor with a really sweet voice. I also liked the Kamaka soprano because it sounded great but also because it felt familiar. I was really challenged by the expansive fretboard of the baratones. It reminded me of my childhood trying to play my dads guitar :p I walked out empty handed but filled with joy and satisfaction!

Kanaka916
08-16-2008, 04:46 AM
Sooooo! Which one are you gonna get? UAS does it everytime . . .

HI@heart
08-16-2008, 05:32 AM
Sooooo! Which one are you gonna get? UAS does it everytime . . .

I would have bought either the Kamaka soprano or the mango tenor but I just spent a small chunk on a 60's era Kamaka soprano that should be here on Monday. If I had some serious cash to spend (which I rarely ever have anymore) I think I'd invest in the 8-string Kamaka. Or a Huki V1-Z outrigger :D:D:D

Jack
08-16-2008, 09:02 AM
Name: Jack (As you can see =P)
I just started playing ukulele. Right now I'm just watching aldrine do his stuff and learning from all his lessons and uke minutes and uke mail and everything else! I love ukulele underground so much, so if anyone has a gaia, i am totally willing to make a gaian guild for UU. Its just another forum based thing, but its all gonna be based on whats here =D

pebbleInDaPacific
08-16-2008, 12:34 PM
Wow! I've know of Dusty Strings for years but never made it a regular destination. I was blown away at the wall of ukuleles and and the selection they had. The lowest price ukulele were some Fleas and went all the way up to a Martin at over $3,000. Since buying my first ukulele about a year ago, I'd never played anything bigger than a soprano or more expensive than a $65 Lanikai. There was Kiwaya, Pono, Kamaka, Martin, G-String, Ko'olau...sopranos to baratones, 4 strings to 8 strings. I was in heaven and spent about an hour there playing a great many of them. :D To my surprise there was a 4-string Kamaka tenor that sounded well, weak. Perhaps it was the strings they had on it but I couldn't get it to speak up. I especially liked having an opportunity to play a very nice vintage Kamaka pineapple with quite a voice, at $2,200! One of my favs was a mango Pono tenor with a really sweet voice. I also liked the Kamaka soprano because it sounded great but also because it felt familiar. I was really challenged by the expansive fretboard of the baratones. It reminded me of my childhood trying to play my dads guitar :p I walked out empty handed but filled with joy and satisfaction!

Haha, I give you props for walking out of there empty handed. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I told you it was heaven! I just wished there were more places like that up here. I hope someday to get the 8 string Kamaka tenor as well when i'm ready. I'm just a young jumping flea right now. I saw the Pineapple Kamaka, but thought it was just a remake, I didn't know it was vintage! I'll check it out! Anyway, we might be headed up there again tomorrow before we go to the SUPA song circle in Ballard. It's going to be our first time going, myself and my 2 cousins. Hope we could learn much from the experienced players! Hope to see you there or in a future song circle!:music:

ekelulu
08-18-2008, 11:07 AM
hey ya, just a small introduction of me...I'm Jacqueline from Eindhoven that's in the Netherlands. I just started playing the ukulele. I've got a KALA KA pineapple. I really love playing my uke, although I must admit i suck (big time) but I'm not giving up. Playing my Uke brings a smile to my face.

UkeCanDoIt!
08-18-2008, 02:44 PM
Welcome! I think you'll find that this is a great site loaded with lots of information and helpful people!

Dane
08-18-2008, 10:37 PM
Hey there everyone. My name is Dane, I'm a photographer and I live in sunny California! I've been playing uke for... well its about 2 years now but I really had taken a long break from it for a while. But I felt the urge to start up the learning process again, and I found this wonderful site. Seeing all the great videos and a fully functional forum really got me excited and ready to go again. I'm currently working on memorizing all of my chords (I only knew about 5 of them before, I like to play jig songs and such so I never really got around to it) I'm also working on strumming techniques, because I was a lazy bum and didn't learn them! So I'm a beginner and eager to learn anything and everything else that I can about my wonderful uke.

Note: I'm having too much fun and my fingers are terribly sore but I don't want to stop ;)

lovemissheather
08-18-2008, 11:03 PM
Hey there everyone. My name is Dane, I'm a photographer and I live in sunny California! I've been playing uke for... well its about 2 years now but I really had taken a long break from it for a while. But I felt the urge to start up the learning process again, and I found this wonderful site. Seeing all the great videos and a fully functional forum really got me excited and ready to go again. I'm currently working on memorizing all of my chords (I only knew about 5 of them before, I like to play jig songs and such so I never really got around to it) I'm also working on strumming techniques, because I was a lazy bum and didn't learn them! So I'm a beginner and eager to learn anything and everything else that I can about my wonderful uke.

Note: I'm having too much fun and my fingers are terribly sore but I don't want to stop ;)

right on! welcome, dane! very excited to have you here! :D

Dane
08-18-2008, 11:07 PM
right on! welcome, dane! very excited to have you here! :D
Thank you very much. I'm glad to be excited over one of my hobbies again!

savannaxan
08-19-2008, 10:55 AM
Hey :) Im savanna and I live in Denver, Colorado. I have never before, in my life, played a musical instrument. So one day, i got pretty bored with my life and decided that i needed to pick up on a new hobby: and that's where the ukulele comes in. I started playing the 'uke' about 2 and a half weeks ago and i LOVE IT. I'm no pro at it yet but i'm a pretty descent player. This website is pretty cool.

uh huh.

Rootz&Culture
08-19-2008, 04:24 PM
Wassup UU!! First post here.. :)

I've been cruisin around the forum for a little while and I've already learned so much... UU Rocks!!! :rock: I'm currently in Seattle, WA but originally from Long Beach, CA. Definitely representin the Westcoast!! :D

My brother in law as well as a lot of my friends are from Hawaii (Maui, Oahu, Big Island). I've seen them play for years and for some reason this year it just clicked. I've been playing the uke for about 4 months now and I can't seem to put the thing down.. I love it! I play mostly reggae, r&b and soul but I'm open to just about anything. I want to thank UU for being such a great site and for continuing to spread the aloha! :worship: I look forward to getting to know you guys..

I currently have a kala tenor and a 1920's solid koa soprano w/ tabu stamp. I have a feeling this is the beginning of a life long love affair... and some serious UAS. Lol

One Love, God is Love.

Rosindust89
08-20-2008, 08:53 PM
Hi

I'm Damon, an 18 year old music education major who recently found an old ukulele in the basement - who knew!

By day I play cello, but by night I miserably twang away on this soprano Decca which is in need of repair - the face is coming unglued...

Anywho, I'd love to learn more than a few basic chords, and hopefully I can do that here

Looking forward to this,
Damon

Dane
08-20-2008, 09:25 PM
Welcome you guys!

Search the internet for ukulele. And I'm sure chords will come up.

Here's one with major, minor, and seventh cords. http://www.theuke.com/content.php?article.cat.2

Check out the UU videos too!

Poi Dog
08-20-2008, 09:34 PM
Check out the UU videos too!

And don't forget to check out the videos at iamhawaii.com (http://www.iamhawaii.com) (where UU came from.) LOL

BTW- Welcome everyone! :nana:

haole
08-21-2008, 05:46 AM
Aloha! My name is Will, and I'm from Long Island, NY (although I've spent many months on Kaua'i and O'ahu). I've been playing uke for about five years, and I also enjoy playing guitar, drums, and didgeridoo. :D We've always had my grandfather's old Aria tenor uke laying around the house, and a while back I picked up a Kamaka soprano from Bounty Music on Kaua'i (which unfortunately closed this summer!). I never travel without a uke, and I have many happy memories playing it on beaches all around the country. This website is awesome, and I look forward to getting to know you guys!

g3mini
08-21-2008, 09:44 PM
Originally from Guam, living in Vegas.
Fell in love with the ukulele a few years back, but only started playing recently.
Still learning...

Dane
08-22-2008, 02:23 PM
Still learning...

Aren't we all? ;)

Welcome guys

lernon
08-22-2008, 04:00 PM
I'm Victor,
I started learning the uke about 4years ago
i'm only 13
and i live in B.C. Canada

i really like the uke most of my songs are by myself but i actually learned the uke in school and a community group
and thanks to my piano music theory i caught up quick

Glamarama
08-24-2008, 03:52 AM
*deep breath*

Hello everyone I'm Glam and am from Scotland. I've been playing for a wee while and enjoying it muchly. Hope to get to know you all better soon.

I'm off to have a good shifty through the board now, bye.

Dane
08-24-2008, 06:59 AM
Welcome you guys!

HeavyJumbo
08-24-2008, 03:09 PM
Hey there,

I'm Mike from San Francisco. Grew up in the bankrupt town of Vallejo, and did the whole engineering/silicon valley gig scene for a while, then changed careers to firefighting/paramedicine. Yah, yah...everyone always asks me why. It's a long story, but here's the short answer in the form of a question.....if you found something that you liked doing on a daily basis because you have a passion for it, and got paid for it...how cool would that be?

Been playing for about 10 months off and on for the past year. First instrument I've ever played and am just plain addicted to it. Own 2 Kalas, concert, and tenor (with a low G and pickup)...both left handed.

Kanaka916
08-24-2008, 07:44 PM
Welcome aboard Mike! You got plenty of company in the Bay. Check out the Regional Get Together Forum and maybe you can get with some of 'em.

mrmr
08-24-2008, 07:50 PM
Hey everyone,

I realized I've never introduced myself. My name is Mark and I'm from San Francisco. I've been playing for 5 months or so now and used to play a little guitar. I make it out to the DaSilva Ukulele Club nights and the Kalaheo cafe night occasionally as well. Say hi if you see me there. This is a great forum, thanks to everyone for sharing all of your knowledge and lessons.

/m

ultramagnus
08-25-2008, 03:07 AM
hi Im from Reykjavik, Iceland and I started playing last december. the uke is my first instrument :) nice to meet you.

Marlana
08-25-2008, 12:27 PM
Hi! I'm Marlana, from Springfield, Missouri. I (sort of) play baritone uke and I'll be getting a soprano soonish, I just have to decide on one. What I really want, though, is a banjo ukulele but I don't have the money right now.

MonMon87
08-25-2008, 01:38 PM
Hey I'm Monique and I'm from California. I've been playing Uke for a little over a year now and it's amazing! I have a youtube with some uke stuff: http://www.youtube.com/user/xticklesmilex
thats it!

SeanKy671
08-25-2008, 05:57 PM
Name's Sean Perez
I live in Washington, i'm a big fan of Aldrine Guerrero and hav been playin uke since last december.. add me.. talk ta me.. get ta kno me

http://www.myspace.com/SeanKy671

leo76dragon
08-26-2008, 01:51 AM
Name: Dennis
Location:currently San Jose, California and Henderson, NV; born and raised Waialua, Hawaii
I've been playing the ukulele for 3 days... Broke the 1st string tuning on the 2nd day... and trying to learn my brand new tenor Pono mango :):nana:

Kanaka916
08-26-2008, 05:18 AM
Monique, Sean & Dennis; E Komo Mai and Welcome to da UU. Dennis - get plenty guys in da Bay Area for jam wit. Monique - you didn't say whea you at, but get all kine ukers in Cali, North or Southern. Sean - same wit Washington State (right?) a good number of members from there.

SeanKy671
08-26-2008, 10:06 AM
I don't kno many ukulele underground members but i do kno many ppl who play the uke.. but there isn't anyone i can find myself jammin with regularly

Nukulele
08-26-2008, 03:34 PM
Hi everyone, i've been reading the UU site and forums for a few weeks and I decided to register now that I've got my ukes! I played bass for a few years in the 90's and gave up music altogether for about 10 years, big mistake considering I can't enter a room with a stringed instrument and not pick it up, glad to be here!

Name: Evan

Uke-Wan-Ken00bie
08-27-2008, 11:11 AM
hey all!
im duane from the island of california in the small village of san diego! its real nice to meet you all.
ive had my uke for about 32 days now and the only thing i think im ready for is plugging the damn thing up to the amp and moreso tuning it... haha jk!
what can i say?!... im a chamoru (old) boy, born n raised in cali but spent a few years in guam where my love of the island vibe was born. it was out there that i fell in love with playin the guitar and the good ol' island sway, and i gotta admit, pickin' up the uke was a funky transition but i find myself lovin' it more and more everyday!
anyways... again, its really great to be part of somethin as positive as the UU site and i truly hope to be a contributor to "the movement"... you know... maybe kick it at one of those San Diego Uke Jam Sessions! please feel free to hit me up any and all of ya and i definitely hope to maybe jam with any of ya sometime!
PEEEEEACE

Kanaka916
08-28-2008, 07:14 AM
Lotsa folks from SD on the forum as well as Chamorros . . . Welcome Aboard and enjoy.

AmyH
08-28-2008, 08:40 AM
Name: Amy

I am complete newbie, in fact I have never played ukulele before. My first ukulele (Kala KA-TG from MusicGuyMic) is due to arrive by UPS today!!! I am soooooooooo excited I can hardly stand to stay here at work! I can't wait to get home today! :D

Uke-Wan-Ken00bie
08-28-2008, 09:51 AM
Lotsa folks from SD on the forum as well as Chamorros . . . Welcome Aboard and enjoy.

Thanks for the welcome Kanaka!

Gratz Amy! im totally stoked for ya too! now go on!! git home! hehe

ukeninam
08-29-2008, 05:22 PM
So I'm Sammy, from Winnipeg, MB. I'm a psyc/nursing student. I've been singing since forever, been jamming on the drums for 7 years now, played piano for about six years, taught myself to play guitar, recently started to write songs (total late bloomer) and am now on my newest obsession UKULELE. I joined UU before I got my ukulele and I'm just starting to finally utilize this amazing site!

As a beginner I've noticed that everyone is extremely welcoming and helpful, always aiming for generosity with song help and always quirky. Maybe its the influence of the small Ukulele or maybe that people who pick up the Ukulele are in their own category of AWESOME!!! Unlike guitar forums or any other instrument rather than helping its mostly criticizing peoples abilities and that's just wrong. So with that in mind Ukulele is my newest and most favourite instrument that I've received!

I look forward to progressing with the ukulele and look forward to meeting everyone here on UU!!

Sammy (ukeninam)
SUKE (soul+uke=suke) searching

ke leo
08-29-2008, 08:31 PM
[QUOTE=ukeninam;57296]
As a beginner I've noticed that everyone is extremely welcoming and helpful, always aiming for generosity with song help and always quirky. Maybe its the influence of the small Ukulele or maybe that people who pick up the Ukulele are in their own category of AWESOME!!! Unlike guitar forums or any other instrument rather than helping its mostly criticizing peoples abilities and that's just wrong. So with that in mind Ukulele is my newest and most favourite instrument that I've received!

Welome Sammy!

It's the ALOHA brudda!!!!!

roypoy
08-30-2008, 12:32 AM
I'm Roy, from and residing in Michigan. Got my first uke a couple weeks ago and am pretty sure there hasn't been a day where I haven't played it yet (already thinking of getting a 2nd one :p). Look forward to hanging around here a bunch.

Rubbrrrd
08-30-2008, 02:53 AM
Just want to say hi to everyone, so:

Hi everyone!

I'm from good old Germany. Last week I decided to go and buy a uke – I still don't know exactly why I did that, but I did. Got a cheap one cause I didn't know how serious I was gonna be about learning to play. Well, I think I'm totally hooked already.

I've never played anything with strings on it before and I can't sing at all, so be warned in case I decide to make a video one day.

However, I really think this forum (and the site of course) is great and I'm looking forward to be a part of it.
</inaugural address>

UkeNinja
08-30-2008, 02:56 AM
I'm from good old Germany...Got a cheap one cause I didn't know how serious I was gonna be about learning to play.
Well, once you get hooked you have some very fine ukulele makers like Risa and Brueko waiting to help you lighten your wallet. Lucky you!

Rubbrrrd
08-30-2008, 03:09 AM
Yeah, I might think about that.

For now, if my wallet gets any lighter it'll fly off to Hawaii...

tomtom
08-30-2008, 04:05 PM
Hi greetings from Australia everyone .

Im a recent convert to ukulele and now suddenly discover i have a new drug that needs to be picked up every day and strummed , i just cant help myself , i hope i will be able to find peace one day but at this stage having found this site and forum i realize its "ukulele crack heaven " a curse on you all and many many thanks.
ps
cant wait to pick her up again already ...must resist urge and keep typing ...must resssssssiiiisssstttttt

sJAKEf
08-30-2008, 05:10 PM
Aloha everyone! I just thought I'd introduce myself.

Name: Jake
I've been playing ukulele for: About a week as of right now.

I've played guitar off and on for four years, mainly focusing on finger picking, strumming technique, and a little use of the pick (I've also played clarinet for five years, sax for two, and piano for about two,). So there's my music background.
I'm REALLY looking forward to the community here! I've already noticed you are all amazingly cool.

SeanKy671
08-30-2008, 07:33 PM
Aloha everyone! I just thought I'd introduce myself.

Name: Jake
I've been playing ukulele for: About a week as of right now.

I've played guitar off and on for four years, mainly focusing on finger picking, strumming technique, and a little use of the pick (I've also played clarinet for five years, sax for two, and piano for about two,). So there's my music background.
I'm REALLY looking forward to the community here! I've already noticed you are all amazingly cool.

awesome dude.. I'm a saxophone player myself

i play a couple instruments
i played trumpet for 3 yrs back in 2004
this is now my 5th year with the saxophone.. then i picked up the guitar and now the ukulele :D

sJAKEf
08-31-2008, 02:12 PM
awesome dude.. I'm a saxophone player myself

i play a couple instruments
i played trumpet for 3 yrs back in 2004
this is now my 5th year with the saxophone.. then i picked up the guitar and now the ukulele :D

Sweet...I love saxophone. I play mainly jazz on it, but it's great.

JPono
09-03-2008, 04:47 PM
Hey everyone,

Long, long time lurker to UU, first-time poster. I play a soprano Kala ukulele, in addition to trumpet, piano and guitar.

Outstanding forum! Thanks for all the great advice...even as a measly lurker. :rolleyes:

UkeCanDoIt!
09-04-2008, 12:05 PM
Welcome aboard! You've found a great bunch of people here! Enjoy!

Uke_Windu
09-04-2008, 01:20 PM
hello everyone...

got my uke about 2 weeks ago and totally unable to put it down...coming from sunny san diego...this site is almost as addicting as the actual uke...hahahah...

Uke-Wan-Ken00bie
09-05-2008, 06:34 AM
good to see you caved... JUUUUUST LIIIIKE ME... master windu hahaha!
you missed out at that Kona Kafe place... too bad it was its last nite... had fun and free cheesecake is always BONUS!
i got some news btw... and old friend of mine hit me up at the "kafe" while we were listening to Da Mack and Almost Islanders last nite... i told em i wanted to just jam and he kept talkin about playin gigs! lmao
anyways... i will definitely fill you in when i see ya next bro...

welcome to the Underground if no one has said it yet! :nana:

R.K.
09-06-2008, 05:55 PM
Hello from your n00biest n00b.

I've picked the uke back up again after about 13 years - I learned the basics in my last 2-3 years of elementary school. I can't play any instruments (though I dabbled with trumpet and drums in middle and high school) and as a lover of music, this has bothered me for some time. As I live in an apartment, I chose to touch base with the uke, as it will not get my neighbours angry, and me charged with a hefty strata corp. fine. ;)

I'm teaching myself with the aid of a couple of Mel Bay Books (Gernot Rodder's Total Ukulele, Roy Smeck's Ukulele Method for Chord and Melody Playing) and the various websites. As I initially learned on a tenor (tuned A-D-F#-B), I decided to build on what I remembered from my youth, even though it makes things a bit trickier for me since much of what I find is for G-C-E-A tuning. I just have to rethink everything in "Canadian tuning" before I attempt something. Chords are not difficult to switch, but picking will require a bit more thought as I re-acquaint myself with reading music. In the future I will likely get a soprano and have that tuned to G-C-E-A, so I can become a more rounded uke player.

I bought my tenor uke after Xmas last year from Empire Music, based out of Vancouver, BC. It doesn't seem to have a "brand name," unless you count "The Classic" as one, but it was $50 and I felt it a good place to (re)start - not ridiculously cheap, but not more than what I need right now. As with my eventual foray into Sopranoland, when I feel I've earned it, I will get myself a premium tenor uke.

--

That was, perhaps, overly loquacious. Sorry! I think that laying out my plans to other people will help me stick to it, though ... can't let the ukulele community down, no? :)
Rock on, everyone! :music:

Dane
09-06-2008, 07:24 PM
Just don't get discouraged if your $50 dollar uke doesn't sound so great. I just recently bought my second uke, after playing for a year and a half. Just today I fixed the nut slot on it so that the A string would stop breaking, and my god I had thought I was terrible, I'm not half bad now ;)

I'm even looking into getting a eleuke now.

Welcome everyone!!

thewhitepwranger
09-07-2008, 06:28 PM
Name: Treh Cabreros
How long have you been playing ukulele: I've been playing for about 3-4 years and I will keep playing

Low
09-08-2008, 03:34 AM
Name: Laurine Prianon
Location: Reunion Island (Indian Ocean,french island) but I study in South west of France: Tourism
How long have you been playing ukulele: I am just a beginner, got my ukulélé about 2 weeks ago.... aha But I also play some guitar, still a beginner ^^

:)

ukeboypat
09-08-2008, 03:39 PM
I have been playing bass for the past half year in my band The Wild Oranges and have been in Ukulele remission. Just came back to this site and am sooo amazed at how the site has grown and how much fun everyone is having. I Just had to get that out there

this site is Amazing
oh

Im Pat Laughrey of Houston Tx
i play uke and ive missed it dearly

Lemony
09-08-2008, 09:33 PM
I'm Sara and I'm from Sweden. Nice to meet you all! :)

I just found my ukulele in the attic, where it has been for some time (I had forgotten all about it). It was a gift from my uncle, but I only got it under one condition - I had to learn to play it.
Now's the time I guess. :-)
I tuned it and since I'm learning the guitar, I though "this couldn't be so hard". But I have no idea where to start or what to do!
Yet, I think it'll be no problem when there's communities like this one and good tutorials online.

Quitastik
09-09-2008, 04:49 PM
Hello! Name's Kevin hailing from Grand Rapids Michigan. I've been playing about 2 months or so..it's good times!

Gorp900
09-11-2008, 09:19 AM
Hey guys, name's Dan and I'm from Southampton, England.
Had my ukulele for about a week now, not any good on it yet lol, no experience with any kind of musical instrument before this anyway so it's gonna be a while before I get any good, but I somehow found this site and I'm slowly learning :D
Adios for now peeps!

lecky
09-11-2008, 10:18 PM
Hi, I've been playing for a bit more than two years. I love it. I'm a soprano player, I'm mainly interested in playing jazz. I'm based in London. My main player is a T's Guitar SD-200 which I picked up in Tokyo, but I have a few others too - kumalae 3, aero bridge johnny marvin pro tenor (concert), '30's regal taropatch, hamano sop, '50's gretch sop, '20's - '30's factory rip off De Vekey 3 (between a concert and tenor scale, without the De Vekey logo). Waiting for one of Pete Howlett's solid body ukes.
I'm a regular on some other boards, so know a few of you guys a little...

SeanKy671
09-12-2008, 08:34 PM
We got people from EVERYWHERE on UU!!

Go Ukulele Underground!!
and welcome all of you

mashadwell
09-13-2008, 12:35 PM
Hi... I'm Mark from College Park Maryland. I just started strummin' the uke in May. I was at the Jake show today at the Kennedy Center and met some cool guys. I had a lot of fun. Thanks.

AidanCrank
09-13-2008, 03:42 PM
Hey everyone, I'm new to this site and I am looking to buy a ukulele. I want to buy two to make sure that I don't waste money. I figured I'd by a crappy one for like $50 and see if I can play it. I've played guitar for a couple of years and I really want to play the ukulele. The problem is i'm strictly left-handed and can't even imagine playing right, even though i am ambidextrous. What should I do. I want to find a decent cheap one and then I'll put an investment in for a good one. Any help with a cheap one that is left handed? and what brand should I get? I am also not sure on what kind I want. I'm leaning towards traditional hawaiin, or soprano, which one are there more songs for? I want to play IZ's somewhere over the rainbow, but I think he played a tenor, any help??

haole
09-13-2008, 04:03 PM
Welcome, everyone! :D

Aidan: Very few ukes are specifically left- or right-handed. The nylon strings are all pretty similar in width, so most ukuleles can be strung lefty with no modification! As for uke sizes, it's all a matter of personal preference. Most folks tune sopranos, concerts, and tenors to the same pitches. The larger they get, the louder and richer the sound, but almost anyone can get away with a soprano or concert. $50 can get you a perfectly acceptable starter uke: These (http://cgi.ebay.com/MAKALA-sparkle-White-SOPRANO-UKULELE-aquilas-HEAR-VIDEO_W0QQitemZ250293047221QQihZ015QQcategoryZ1622 4QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262) are popular and available in a couple of colors, and these (http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-Kala-KA-15S-Mahogany-Soprano-Ukulele_W0QQitemZ330270872111QQihZ014QQcategoryZ16 224QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262) are more traditional in appearance. I bet that MGM would restring it lefty for you and set it up nice if you ordered from him. Good luck! :D

AidanCrank
09-13-2008, 04:21 PM
Thankyou for your wonderful advice.

yewnacornz
09-14-2008, 10:24 AM
hello! i just got my first uke and i am really excited to start playing. if there is ANYTHING anyone can tell me about reading tabs and any good songs or any tips or tricks lemme know! my name is kate and i live in florida :)

covinoch
09-14-2008, 02:55 PM
What up guys, Chad here. I'm from Vermont and I've only been playing ukulele for a few months. I really appreciate all the help people have given me so far, thanks gang.

VK18
09-15-2008, 09:53 AM
Name:Vince
Been playing for 6 years
found out about this site at the Jake Concert in DC last Saturday from some other members

ke leo
09-15-2008, 07:34 PM
Hey everyone, I'm new to this site and I am looking to buy a ukulele. I want to buy two to make sure that I don't waste money. I figured I'd by a crappy one for like $50 and see if I can play it. I've played guitar for a couple of years and I really want to play the ukulele. The problem is i'm strictly left-handed and can't even imagine playing right, even though i am ambidextrous. What should I do. I want to find a decent cheap one and then I'll put an investment in for a good one. Any help with a cheap one that is left handed? and what brand should I get? I am also not sure on what kind I want. I'm leaning towards traditional hawaiin, or soprano, which one are there more songs for? I want to play IZ's somewhere over the rainbow, but I think he played a tenor, any help??

Welcome AC!

There is a lefty in the ukulele club I play with and i can ask him what he does. If your in SoCal, you should come and play traditional Hawaiian with us and you can ask him yourself :)

Re IZ, he plays "rainbow" with a concert with a low g. It sounds just a cool w a tenor. I've never heard it played on a soprano.

GriotGums
09-16-2008, 09:46 AM
Aloha Everyone!

Name's Nan but I also go by Griot Gums
I live in fabulous, foggy San Francisco, Califas...haha
I have only been playing ukulele for about 2 weeks so I'm but a 4-string fetus. I'm struggling to learn as this is also my first instrument but I'm already obsessed! I write poetry and decided to pick up the Ukulele to accompany my poems and maybe one day to write some songs of my own.(I also just love the sound and vibe that this little box can produce) I'm really glad UU is around and the support is out there. Looking forward to sharing some breakthroughs with you all.

Cheers! :rock:

Ukulele JJ
09-16-2008, 12:18 PM
Hey there everyone!

I'm Jeff from Nashville, TN. Been playing uke for about 6 months. I'm mainly a piano player, but I have dabbled on guitar for quite some time. So it wasn't too much of a leap to start learning the uke.

Found out about this forum from the folks over on the Flea Market Music forum. (Yes, I have a Flea, and I love it!)

Looks like a fun and active forum!

JJ

JexUke9
09-16-2008, 05:24 PM
Hai guys!!!!

My name is Jex, I know its a weird name but I like it :). I just thought of how inside the box playing the guitar is so I decided to call my cousin, who was visiting the Philippines and asked him to buy me a ukulele. I got it like a week after, Then I'm putting some dedication into it and trying to become a god ukulele player.... (lol sorry if my story sounds corny but thats how it went.)

BTW I'm Filipino :]

TheDonEffect
09-17-2008, 07:43 AM
Wattup folks,
name's Don, total uke noob, but learned a lil bit back in grade/high school when I used to live in Hawaii. Now I hail from the homicide capitol of the US Oakland, CA.
Told myself when I moved 9 years ago that I'll buy a uke when I had the chance to reconnect with my birthplace, so I did, just ordered my uke from musicguymic who's been awesome as expected.
Anyway, who needs more than 4 strings, musical efficiency at its finest! :rock:

KKD
09-17-2008, 05:32 PM
Howzit Everyone! My name is Curt and I'm from Kona, Hawaii. I just picked up a Kala tenor today! I am total newbie to anything with strings:o, but really want to learn to play the uke. After looking through a few of the threads, I can see that I have a LOT to learn.:D I'm anxious to get started!

Well, just wanted to say, "HOWZIT"! And I look forward to learning and just "talking story" with all of you. Aloha!

RajaHBaddaH
09-18-2008, 10:37 PM
A howsit my name's marc, im from hilo but now living in maui, just started playing the uke a couple months ago. fell in love with it when i was a kid cruising and jamming with the boys. just couldnt get my fingers to work with chords till now haha....anyway i just kind of fell unto this site awhile back and now joined. but yeah thats pretty much it.
thanks an aloha

Kanaka916
09-19-2008, 05:50 AM
E Komo Mai everyone! Hope you guys find UU helpful cause there's tons of info available. From theory to tabs, a lot of it here as well as knowledgeable members who will answer questions, provide advice and recommendations. Lots of vid links to members playing as well.

If you're lookin for members near your location, check out this thread (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2520). You guys from the 808, I no think goin be hard fo you guys to find somebody fo jam wit. The Cali guys - big, no, huge uke population in SD. LA is kinda spread out a little, but they do manage to do get togethers. Bay Area, lotsa folks there too. Check out the Regional Get Together Forum.

Aloha and Enjoy da Underground . . . :music:

MissAbbyNormal
09-19-2008, 10:52 AM
Hi All!

Abby isn't my real name, but it's what most of my friends call me. i live in San Diego (Ocean Beach) with my boyfriend, 3 cats and way too many pinball machines.

I recently got inspired to learn the ukulele, I'm waiting for my first Uke to ship! I'm really excited!

This site has been a great help already! Nice to meet you all!

Jack
09-19-2008, 05:49 PM
Hi All!

Abby isn't my real name, but it's what most of my friends call me. i live in San Diego (Ocean Beach) with my boyfriend, 3 cats and way too many pinball machines.

I recently got inspired to learn the ukulele, I'm waiting for my first Uke to ship! I'm really excited!

This site has been a great help already! Nice to meet you all!
Welcome! This site is defintily amazing!
Hope you have fun here =)

luckyends
09-20-2008, 06:44 PM
i totally didnt see this so i posted a few other places first

hello i am Alex or luckyends either is fine

i have been playing for around 4 or so months and i have a soprano and a tenor ukulele i love both very much
i inhabit fremont california (bay area)

i was inspired to play ukulele when i saw one in the back of a guitar shop and it just called to me

so 4 months later i am in love and an ok player

thank you for letting me be on your forum board ^_^

jqrcaliman
09-20-2008, 08:38 PM
Hi

My name's Joey. And i live in murrieta, california. Originally born on the island of Guam but raised state side. i picked up a ukulele around the house (no idea what the brand is...but it's a soprano uke) and i took it to my cousin's house and he got me started off. I've been playing for about 11 months. I love it! i been saving up for a cam and a concert uke, and i can't wait to be using them together.

atiecay
09-21-2008, 03:47 PM
I'm Catie and I'm from Kansas. My main uke is a Martin soprano that I adore but I JUST got an Oscar Schmidt concert uke at a music festival I attended this weekend and it's pretty awesome, too. I've spent the last couple of hours getting acquainted with it. I've been messing around with the uke for probably over 5 years, but have only really seriously gotten into it within the last year or so. My main instrument is the mandolin, but the uke is a lot easier to bring along to different places and often a lot more fun.

HaileISela
09-22-2008, 03:27 AM
Hi, my name is Richard, I'm from Germany and found UU via blogtv->youtube... I'm playing a lot of different instruments, my main instrument is the bagpipe and saxophone, but I never played any stringed instruments... until first week of September, when I finally started to play Ukulele initiated by a friend from the US... So I'm not playing that long, but I progress and I totally love the Uke...

Have a good time!

Selah
HaileISela

NaturalBornCamper
09-22-2008, 04:05 AM
Hay!

I'm Marco and I'm from up north in the freezing Canada. Yes, we play Ukulele here even despite the cold and the fact that there is no ocean nearby to hang out.. snif

SamWise
09-22-2008, 05:01 AM
I should do this, I guess. I'm Sam, I'm from Southampton in the UK, and I already play too many instruments (guitar, bass, mandolin, lap steel, harmonica, some keyboard, hand percussion, and I'm sure I'm missing others). I'm reviewing ukuleles for Acoustic magazine, and I've fallen in love. Now I must have one of my own....

tom101
09-22-2008, 01:55 PM
Hi. I'm Tom. I'm from Liverpool in England. Youtube lead me down the path of wanting a ukulele and that led me here. Just waitting for my student loan to come into purchase one from one of the local music shops, unfortunately their selections don't seem great. The ones I've picked out is a Tanglewood 4221 soprano or a Tanglewood 4223 concert haven't decided yet which one. I already play the harmonica, not that I'm amazing or even that good. Everyone on here seems nice and helpful the video lesson on Wednesday was really cool too. So yeh hi :)

gatorjj
09-22-2008, 04:23 PM
Hey, I'm J.J. from Apex, NC USA. I'm a long time guitar player who took a bite on a Kala soprano ukulele and it just came today! I'm left handed so I had to set it up "properly" but it gave me a chance to get the action down and learn how to tie strings. I got it so I could stuff it in my travel bag and take it with me to mess around and write songs. Looks like a friendly bunch here, must be the ukulele spirit!

This is the first time I've ever played one, so I guess the "how long you've been playing" answer is about 30 minutes. :nana:

Toucan Mango
09-24-2008, 05:53 PM
Hello everyone, I'm 46 yrs old & live in Clovis California. I just received my first ukulele around the first September, I was actually searching ebay for one of my own items & a $79.00 Kala pineapple ukulele came up on the same page. I knew nothing about ukuleles but the seller had great feedback (musicguymic) so I went for it, turned out to be a great starter uke!! I have been having lots of fun with basic strumming with the C, Am, F, G7 chords. I have found great info on this forum & YouTube as well. Any way I'm so glad I made the purchase!

beanwz
09-25-2008, 06:01 AM
what up everyone. my name is steve from los altos ca. been playing guitar for a while and always wanted to play the ukulele. i just picked up one from Julie through this forum. can't wait to start playing

Jack
09-28-2008, 05:24 PM
Name: Dennis
Location:currently San Jose, California and Henderson, NV; born and raised Waialua, Hawaii
I've been playing the ukulele for 3 days... Broke the 1st string tuning on the 2nd day... and trying to learn my brand new tenor Pono mango :):nana:

hey fellow san jose....er

and welcome everyone else =)

Beetroot
09-29-2008, 01:20 AM
Hi! I'm Rebecka and I'm from Sweden. I started to play the ukulele about 6 months ago and haven't been able to put it down since. :) This forum really is a great help advancing since there aren't too many ukulele players here in Sweden.

Nice meeting you all!

/Rebecka

deach
09-29-2008, 02:36 AM
Hi! I'm Rebecka and I'm from Sweden. I started to play the ukulele about 6 months ago and haven't been able to put it down since. :) This forum really is a great help advancing since there aren't too many ukulele players here in Sweden.

Nice meeting you all!

/Rebecka

BaronK69 is from Sweden and he rocks!
http://www.youtube.com/user/BaronK69

schmittie120
09-29-2008, 06:10 PM
hey all i just got a uke not to long ago and cannot put it down

i am going to start saving up for a tenor here pretty soon...man do i love the uke

ricksan66
09-30-2008, 12:41 PM
New guy here from Texas. Picked up my first uke (painted Mahalo soprano) a few months ago. Best $25 I've spent in a long time. Having a blast making noise. Much less frustrating than guitar, but I'll be persistent with both.

I've already read many posts. Thanks to all y'all who share your wisdom, experience, and encouragement.

badabing
09-30-2008, 07:04 PM
Hello all.... I just started playing the uke about 3 months ago and dig it the most. Came across this web site looking for uke tabs on the internet, (Awesome site by the way) and thought it would help me learn more by joining up. So here I am...Play on players

ill-attack
10-01-2008, 10:25 PM
Hello!

I joined two nights ago, but for some reason this thread said locked...:uhoh:

My name's Ruddy, and I have been playing the uke for 5 days so far, though I've played guitar for much longer. :)

I join UU in hopes of meeting other players, and learn as much as I can from more seasoned players. For these past few days I've been playing non-stop, and I'm loving this thing. My guitars are jealous. :rofl:

:) I hope to read you all soon, God Bless.

-Love, Ruddy.

PortugeeUke
10-02-2008, 06:47 AM
I got my first uke, a plastic one, when I was 12 years old, that was back in the 1950s. I bought a baritone uke in college but left it with my room mate after graduation. It was a wooden one and cost about $25.
Last year my wife and I went to the big island and I bought a solid koa uke from Hawaii Treasure Mill in Holualoa. It was strung and tuned as a soprano. I learned later that it might really be a tenor, so I bought new strings and tuned it as such. Boy, did it buzz terribly. I had the bridge saddle replaced with one that was higher to raise the action a bit. Now it sounds fine and I am learning to play songs on it. Got a half dozen songs down pat and is it fun to play. I even play it to my grand son who seems to like it. I still consider myself a beginner and hope I will always be one (wink).

jonjonkills101
10-03-2008, 07:22 AM
hey haha, i was at my car meet in san diego by pat and oscars (mission) yesterday and i noticed a bunch of uke players gathering at a lounge. one of the girls was wearing a UU shirt so i just had to check it out.

i just got my cheapo kala makala saprano uke yesterday

i originally play guitar (for a couple years)
the other gear: :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/jonjonkills101/DSC03079.jpg

trying to learn a song for my bro's wedding, hoping this forum will help.

Preston
10-07-2008, 10:25 AM
I'm Preston, a 61 year old school teacher living in Layton Utah. Been playing for 4 years but since I haven't met any other uke players locally, my progress has been slower than I want. Just got back from So. Cal. Uke festival (my 3rd year). I have been posting on some other bulletin boards for a while but just found out about this one from Dominator (EzFolk, Flea Market Music Bulletin Board, Uke Talk, Ukulele Cosmos, Taro Patch)
I would love to meet someone who plays uke and lives nearby! I have a Jenny concert, a KoAloha soprano, a Kanelai'a tenor and a vintage Regal baritone.

Punday
10-07-2008, 11:40 AM
Ive been playing ukulele for about 1.5 years. Although when i started i had a Hilo soprano and was trying to pass my senior year of college. So i would say i really started playing the Ukulele when school ended, my birthday came around and i got a Kala KTE-C Tenor.

UAS... Probably. Now instead of wasting time looking at random things scattered across the internet i waste time looking at random ukulele songs/music/postings/videos.

I decided today was a good day to start chatting ukulele on the internet.

Punday

Kanaka916
10-07-2008, 01:34 PM
Just wanna say E Komo Mai to all the newbies. If you wanna see if there are any members close to your location, see this thread (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2520). And while you're here, you can add your location. The Beginners (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29) forum is another good area to start in for basic questions. The Tab Listing (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5507) has a number of songs from members from diverse musical genres. Again Welcome and hopefully UU can help you is some way, shape or form to enjoy playing.

CampbellSoup
10-08-2008, 10:56 AM
Hi Im new to the Uku world. Im looking to find the right type ukulele for my voice type. I am between alto and soprano and I prefer to sing Jazzy/Feist/Norah Jones tunes. Does anyone know between the four types of ukuleles, what would be the choice for my likings?:music:

Kanaka916
10-08-2008, 12:56 PM
Hi Im new to the Uku world. Im looking to find the right type ukulele for my voice type. I am between alto and soprano and I prefer to sing Jazzy/Feist/Norah Jones tunes. Does anyone know between the four types of ukuleles, what would be the choice for my likings?:music:
You didn't mention a locations but if there is a local music shop that carries ukes, it would be best to visit and try holding the different sizes to find one that's comfortable. Here are some threads you can browse through regarding the purchase of a first uke.
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4837
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4503
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4899
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4789
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4888

CampbellSoup
10-08-2008, 02:26 PM
thanks alot very helpful! im in the atlanta area but most likely moving to new york or back to miami... heads or tails lol....

bykrmyk
10-08-2008, 03:44 PM
Hi. I'm Mike. I'm just getting into Ukulele since my oldest son took it up. I've played guitar for many years so the transition isn't too hard. My main instrument is drums but I'm liking this for so many reasons. I live in Oregon near Portland. Only been to Hawaii twice, hope to get back soon. Great site. Love the live lessons.

squa11
10-08-2008, 04:20 PM
Got me a uke about a month ago, after being inspired by several youtube vids I came across :). Gonna start posting some vids soon!

slapbass
10-10-2008, 07:34 AM
Hey all..Im Robin..Been playing uke for a couple years on and off..Had a cheap baritone that lasted 6 months before it literally blew apart while hanging on the wall..Have a Kamaka from 1940's that my mom got in Hawaii but wont let me have yet..Got to learn on it though..Looking to get a concert in the near future..
Play upright slap bass in many local rockabilly and rock and blues bands around Orange County and LA..
Would love to meet some people and jam..Love playing my upright with uke's.
Im in Long Beach/Los Alamitos area of So Cal so hit me up if anyone want s to jam and have a few..

geraldrperez
10-10-2008, 07:49 AM
Hey all, my name is Gerald and I live in the Pacific Northwest. For all those

SEATTLE ukers out there, you should hit me up so we can jam!! I picked up

the Uke in February when I went on vacation in Hawai'i and haven't put it

down since!! It goes where ever I go! ha ha I even just started a band with

4 other people, covering all the island jams! I'm a quick learner!! Anyway, I

am from Guam but born and raised in Washington State. I'm always down for

a good time, getting together with friends and jammin, and watching sports,

especially my Seattle Seahawks! Go Lofa! I think UU is the best site for

ukers! I admire Aldrine, Danyo and Rayan, so if you guys are ever take a trip

to Seattle, I love to meet you guys and jam!! :music: Thanks UU

cosmogs
10-10-2008, 05:03 PM
I am Geir from Norway. I have always been a guitar player but one morning I woke up with an overwhelming urge to buy an ukulele. That day I bough a Lanikai, and I have played ukulele constantly after that. I soon missed the complexed sweet mellow tones from a better qualiy instrument. I discovered MGM and his Kanilea K2c and I was just totaly breathtaken by her grace. She actually spoke to me and we now have a very rewarding relationship, me and Lily. :D
Thanx MGM, Sweet deal, smooth transaction.

Learned a lot by reading this forum. So thanx guys!
Also totaly got the UU, and MGMs Lieberman soprano is ($1599, so I AM trying) VERY difficult to resist...

I consider myself a convert, but I wont throw Martin and Guild out of my house. At least not yet. : )
Good to be amongs equals
Aloha

ukumic
10-11-2008, 08:35 AM
Hi,

I'm Michael and I come from Germany. So far (I'm 28) I actually never really played an instrument but once I saw the movie Finding Forrester about 5-6 months ago I was hooked by Brudda Iz' performance at the end. After watching several videos on youtube etc. I finally bought a kala soprano which I've been playing pretty much every day since then. Today I thought it's time for the next big step... joining the UU forum. ;) So, hi again!

Michael
P.S. Big thanks to UU and its members for all the cool videos which helped me so much!

muzikengineer
10-13-2008, 07:01 AM
My name is JP, Live in Dallas Ft Worth, I am 25.....by day i am a computer Techncian, by night I am an audio Engineer. I'd like to work as a Pc technician in a studio but right now i do contract work.....

Instruments i play,
Guitar, My main instrument
Bass, I play but its just not guitar!!
Mandolin, haven't found my niche yet, but i enjoy playing it
Ukulele: it would help if it would come in the mail ALREADY!! :uhoh: :D I know basics...

I started a music group called C# MuZik Group about 5 years ago...my goal is to make it a small tight knit group of musicians who help each other write and play music...My goal is to build a studio and record all group members albums in the studio and be as independent as possible from publishers and labels...I am not big on record labels and publishers...They take too much creativity and money from the musician........

I want to return the music back to the musicians!! :nana:

ukemonkey
10-14-2008, 08:39 AM
Hi, I'm ukemonkey, i live in England and i started playing ukulele when my youngest daughter was born 7 years ago coz i wanted to play songs to her and her big sis at bedtime and i had a uke in my parents' attic. I didn't know anyone else who played but had a chord dictionary and used to get 'easy guitar' books from the library and write out the songs with uke chord charts.
I'm a junior school teacher (7-11 yr olds) and I now run ukulele clubs at school. I spent a few months living in Wailuku years ago but that was before the uke bug bit - i kick myself now when i think what i could have learned while i was there!
Watching Aldrines vids have really inspired me to work on my strumming techniques, which as i had never played guitar before were really weak. A little better now but always soo much to learn!

UkEdman90
10-14-2008, 11:16 AM
Hi, I'm ukemonkey, i live in England and i started playing ukulele when my youngest daughter was born 7 years ago coz i wanted to play songs to her and her big sis at bedtime and i had a uke in my parents' attic. I didn't know anyone else who played but had a chord dictionary and used to get 'easy guitar' books from the library and write out the songs with uke chord charts.
I'm a junior school teacher (7-11 yr olds) and I now run ukulele clubs at school. I spent a few months living in Wailuku years ago but that was before the uke bug bit - i kick myself now when i think what i could have learned while i was there!
Watching Aldrines vids have really inspired me to work on my strumming techniques, which as i had never played guitar before were really weak. A little better now but always soo much to learn!

Welcome! thats kool you play to ur daughters! i hope one day i can do that! also awesome that your spreading the uke love at the school! UU is a great place with alot of great people.

tanman44
10-14-2008, 03:09 PM
Hey Everyone,

I was just in Honolulu this weekend, and I bought myself my first Ukulele. I have played guitar for about a year, but I thought I just had to try out a uke when I visited Hawaii :rock: :D

I got a "The Hawaiian Ukulele Company" brand uke as my first one. It only cost me $75 and I think it sounds great for the price :)

I'm read around here and there is a ton of info, so thanks for having me!

-Tanner

P.S. I'm from Northern Canada. :music:

SeanKy671
10-14-2008, 06:51 PM
Look at this, dood!!
It's amazing how people are comin to UU from places all around the world
England, Norway, Germany!!
Welcome to Ukulele Underground everybody.. :music:

haha and you too Uncle Gereld

aiglesia
10-15-2008, 01:57 PM
Hey everyone Name is Adrian from Hollywood
I just started playing a couple weeks ago.
Playing on a Hilo

TerryinCO
10-16-2008, 08:48 AM
Hi there...Terry here from Denver, CO. I have been playing guitar for over 10 years, mostly fingerstyle. I picked up my first uke a month ago and am now addicted. I am learning a bunch of folk and blues tunes and it is a lot of fun.

freedive135
10-16-2008, 09:20 AM
Welcome To the UU Terry from a fellow Denverite...
DelRay will be doing a BluesUke workshop at Swallow Hill next weekend!!!!

allinfun
10-16-2008, 11:08 AM
I'm Sue and I am from the Pacific Northwest (Port Townsend, WA) and have stolen one of my husbands ukes. He's got several and you can't play them all at once. He has played many instruments over the years, and has a head start in skills as I just started guitar lessons last August. When we went to Ohau in january for business, hubby picked up a Pono mahogany that was really lovely sounding from Hawaii Music Supply, and I drug home a Pono prototype guitar that couldn't live without me. And that is how the insanity all began..

We now have 4 (the original mahogany, an 8-string, then a mango, and a koa, and they go everywhere,including sailing, camping, and to work. Now I'm still trying to figure out how to get one to Bonaire this winter for our diving trip without incurring extra handling fees. :D

We have one uke instructor in the area but he isn't my style. He's into 30's hula music and everything he plays/sings sounds like a 33rpm record played at 45 speed. I was oh so glad to find UU where a wide variety of music and styles can co-exist and I can learn from them. Everyone is so congenial and helpful thanks everyone!

hugoestr
10-16-2008, 04:03 PM
hI!

I got a cheap uke last year at a folk festival. I played a little with it, but gave it up. then I finally got how chords worked (by watching a banjo tutorial :D) and moved right into uke heaven. :)

Nice to see a uke community around here. I found this place through a youtube video.

ashrad
10-16-2008, 07:48 PM
Hey, my name is Ashley.
I'm new to both UU and the instrument.
After wanting one for some amount of time, I finally got around to purchasing one. I'm very proud of it. I'm really excited to learn to play it. I'm learning some chords and playing around with it often. I just stumbled upon this forum and it seemed perfect for a novice like me.

seeso
10-16-2008, 09:10 PM
Welcome, Sue, Hugo, and Ashley! :D

Don't be afraid to ask questions and post. We're all nice people, for the most part. Well... everyone except Deach.

zigy11
10-17-2008, 11:37 AM
My name is Jason, I currently live in North Dakota, but will be moving to Tennessee soon. I have been into music for my entire life playing several instruments along the way, unfortunately it took me so long to find this gem amongst them all! I have been playing ukulele now for about five months, it has quickly become my favorite thing to do! I rarely, when not at work, am seperated from my tenor. My friend has a Bari, and man do we play some goodies; thanks to alot of help from Aldrine and the rest of the UU nation!! I knew from the moment I found this site, it was for me. I am proudly honored to be a part of such a great thing!
Thank you!

Bwample1
10-18-2008, 03:56 PM
hi
my name is Ben
and i am going to college at the moment for my art.
I want to learn to play the uke I played around on my friends and she taught me some things, so i want to learn more but i do not want to buy one i want to learn how to actually build one and maybe in the process of building it i can learn more about it.

well thats me

P.s
If you know of any sites or good informational sites about sizes and thickness and process of making a homemade Uke send me a message please

ke leo
10-18-2008, 07:38 PM
I'm Sue and I am from the Pacific Northwest (Port Townsend, WA) and have stolen one of my husbands ukes. He's got several and you can't play them all at once. He has played many instruments over the years, and has a head start in skills as I just started guitar lessons last August. When we went to Ohau in january for business, hubby picked up a Pono mahogany that was really lovely sounding from Hawaii Music Supply, and I drug home a Pono prototype guitar that couldn't live without me. And that is how the insanity all began..

We now have 4 (the original mahogany, an 8-string, then a mango, and a koa, and they go everywhere,including sailing, camping, and to work. Now I'm still trying to figure out how to get one to Bonaire this winter for our diving trip without incurring extra handling fees. :D

We have one uke instructor in the area but he isn't my style. He's into 30's hula music and everything he plays/sings sounds like a 33rpm record played at 45 speed. I was oh so glad to find UU where a wide variety of music and styles can co-exist and I can learn from them. Everyone is so congenial and helpful thanks everyone!

You know what they say...Once you go uke, you don't go back...and...The family that ukuleles together, stays together :D

ke leo
10-18-2008, 07:40 PM
My name is Jason, I currently live in North Dakota, but will be moving to Tennessee soon. I have been into music for my entire life playing several instruments along the way, unfortunately it took me so long to find this gem amongst them all! I have been playing ukulele now for about five months, it has quickly become my favorite thing to do! I rarely, when not at work, am seperated from my tenor. My friend has a Bari, and man do we play some goodies; thanks to alot of help from Aldrine and the rest of the UU nation!! I knew from the moment I found this site, it was for me. I am proudly honored to be a part of such a great thing!
Thank you!

Where's the uke and bari vid?!

Kaneohe til the end
10-18-2008, 11:15 PM
i just realized i never did this thread. :D

18 years old,
attending honolulu community college,
own a koaloha tenor, buying a wai'olu tenor (hawaiian islands soundhole)

Kanaka916
10-19-2008, 05:29 AM
hi my name is Ben. . . . If you know of any sites or good informational sites about sizes and thickness and process of making a homemade Uke send me a message please
Visit the Ukelele Building/Luthier's Lounge Forum (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30) to help you get started.

zigy11
10-19-2008, 05:38 AM
Where's the uke and bari vid?!

My buddy and I need to borrow a camera, we have already planned on taping quite a few of the songs we cover as well as our own... Should be done in the next month for sure!!! I will post them here and YouTube as soon as they get filmed...

SeanKy671
10-20-2008, 02:27 PM

Aha a fellow Washingtonian!!
Welcome to UU!! It's interesting reading your story :D
Like Seeso said, don't be afraid to talk to us. Everyone is friendly except deach haha

urawaza
10-22-2008, 08:40 PM
Hi im chris ive been playing for almost a year and a half i live in union city presently in college and i joined after my friend Ame told me about it get at me some time maybe i can teach u something or vise versa. i can always use a new friend

Ame
10-23-2008, 04:38 PM
Hi im chris ive been playing for almost a year and a half i live in union city presently in college and i joined after my friend Ame told me about it get at me some time maybe i can teach u something or vise versa. i can always use a new friend

Hi Chris! :D

Bruddah Kekoa
10-24-2008, 04:04 PM
Hey Everybody!

Bruddah Kekoa here. I never formally introduced myself to the community - I just starting making comments. :)

I've been playing uke for just over 6 years, but it definitely doesn't show. Maybe I'm alone here in my thoughts but I think I've entered the eternal realm of mediocre uke playing.

My choice to join up in the community is so I can enter into a new realm in my playing. Many of you have already contributed to helping the whole thing come alive for me again. I look forward to our interactions!

Mahalos,
Bruddah Kekoa

thefourthday
10-25-2008, 12:46 PM
Hey everybody. I signed up here a couple of months ago to be able to look at the tabs to be honest but now I want to get more involved in the community so whats up?

My name is Zach and I'm currently a student at Hofstra University on Long Island New York. Ive been playing the uke now for almost a year now.

I don't really know what else to say in my first post so if you want to know more about me I guess message me or wait until I post some more :)

peace&love

sillygoose90@gmail.com
10-25-2008, 05:15 PM
Hi there underground members!!
I have been playing the ukulele for only *drum roll please* 2 months :). I bought a cheap uke just to have a little fun during my free time at college in wisconsin. It annoys the heck out of my roommate, but it is so fun to play- I can't help it! I've been trying to teach myself and this website has been helping me greatly!! I got most of the chords down, but I am a HORRIBLE strummer. When I strum it sound snothing like the song :-X. Bummer, well i'll keep practicing.
Nice to meet you all!

urawaza
10-25-2008, 08:30 PM
name: chris
Uke time: 1-2 years
i love playing my ukes and its all i do well now im starting guitar but my love is for the uke

Matt H
10-26-2008, 01:10 AM
Hey

Name: Matt
How long have you been playing ukulele: Little over 2 months

I've been teaching myself the uke for about 2 months now, this site has helped a lot. I think I've hit a stage where I can't improve on my own so i decided to join to hopefully learn some things and improve my playing :). Thanks

Matt

upskydowncloud
10-26-2008, 01:12 AM
hi Matt, nice to see another English person on the forums! Good luck with practice

mahalangboy
10-27-2008, 04:48 PM
:rock:Hi guys my name is Jimmy a chamolie ripped from the heart of his mother land [GUAM] and slaving for the man in minnesooota .I am the worlds suckiest muscian ever , played drums most my life then harmonica for four years now and bought an ou2 three months ago and never been so instrested in any thing in my life [well excepct for the singing ,partying,chasing girls,fishing hunting, cockfight,ect....] not sure if I got the right uke though it hurts my fingers . the first month it would not stay in tune so I kick it around the house a little then it started to stay in tune for half a song it has aguilia ny gut strings I now only have to tune it every third song is this normal some guy here wants me bring it to him so he can mess with for awhile but I couldnt do it . sooooooo if any comments I would very much appreciate[even if you got something bad to say about my mother I can take it] thank you si mahalang boy [lonely boy in chammorro]:rock: (jimmy2940@charter.net)

UkEdman90
10-27-2008, 04:54 PM
:rock:Hi guys my name is Jimmy a chamolie ripped from the heart of his mother land [GUAM] and slaving for the man in minnesooota .I am the worlds suckiest muscian ever , played drums most my life then harmonica for four years now and bought an ou2 three months ago and never been so instrested in any thing in my life [well excepct for the singing ,partying,chasing girls,fishing hunting, cockfight,ect....] not sure if I got the right uke though it hurts my fingers . the first month it would not stay in tune so I kick it around the house a little then it started to stay in tune for half a song it has aguilia ny gut strings I now only have to tune it every third song is this normal some guy here wants me bring it to him so he can mess with for awhile but I couldnt do it . sooooooo if any comments I would very much appreciate[even if you got something bad to say about my mother I can take it] thank you si mahalang boy [lonely boy in chammorro]:rock: (jimmy2940@charter.net)

WELCOME TO UU! this is a small cummunity so you know u will get TLC haha! were all here for any questions man.

WELCOME! oh and watch out on stupid posts!

U might get DEACHED! i will leave u with that

RPM44
10-28-2008, 03:32 PM
Hey everyone,
My name is Robert, i'm 24 and from Chicago. My family has an exstensive history with guitars and bass. Also, my cousin has played drums for about 20 years. I found out my grandfather had a uke he picked up in the navy way back in WWII. I decided to pick up a new started Uke, and started going to classes at Old Town School of music in Chicago. I've only had the uke a few months and I'm loving it. Thanks for everyone being around.

-Bobby

seeso
10-28-2008, 03:41 PM
Hey everyone,
My name is Robert, i'm 24 and from Chicago. My family has an exstensive history with guitars and bass. Also, my cousin has played drums for about 20 years. I found out my grandfather had a uke he picked up in the navy way back in WWII. I decided to pick up a new started Uke, and started going to classes at Old Town School of music in Chicago. I've only had the uke a few months and I'm loving it. Thanks for everyone being around.

-Bobby

Hey Bobby, welcome to UU. I'm in Chicago too. How are you liking the classes at Old Town? I live in that neighborhood.

RPM44
10-28-2008, 03:56 PM
I'm liking it, the first class was last night. I had some experience, with guitar, but no formal training before this. Are there many other Chicago folks on here?

Also, I live up in Jefferson Park

seeso
10-28-2008, 04:08 PM
I'm liking it, the first class was last night. I had some experience, with guitar, but no formal training before this. Are there many other Chicago folks on here?

Also, I live up in Jefferson Park

I think there are a couple more, but they're not very active. Good luck with your new journey, my friend. Beware, it's addictive. :D

RPM44
10-28-2008, 04:09 PM
Good. I need something to do now that winter is coming.

seeso
10-28-2008, 04:10 PM
Good. I need something to do now that winter is coming.

I think it's going to be a tough winter this year. Time to hibernate.

rreffner
10-30-2008, 10:55 AM
Name: Rich (rreffner)
Home: North Florida
Playing: Kamaka Tenor with Worth strings, Gibson Hummingbird

Lived and worked in Hawaii for 20 years. Got married on Molokai.

tamagotchi__x
10-31-2008, 01:51 PM
Name: Vicky :)
How long have you been playing uke?: A few hours... haha. I got my uke today. I've already been playing guitar for about 7 years and came across Julia Nunes and decided I wanted to learn :P. hehe. It's fun. So far learnt Keep Fishin' by Weezer and Over The Rainbow, Iz style (You have to :P)

hopefully I'll be a regular player/poster!

xxx

fourstrings
11-01-2008, 12:17 AM
Name: Travis
How long have you been playing uke? Quite a while but not as talented as u guys, hoping to learn more on my stay here at UU! :worship:

BTWriter
11-01-2008, 11:39 AM
Name: Ben
How long have you been playing ukulele: -3 days, assuming the ETA is correct. Gah!

This place looks like six kinds of awesome, so I'm sure I'll post here a lot, assuming my Uke makes it here and I don't lose my hands in some kind of accident.

zym
11-02-2008, 06:26 AM
Name: Simon
How long have you been playing uke? 3 days ;)
greetings

cogito
11-04-2008, 09:42 AM
Name: Henry
How long have you been playing uke? Just bought a few min ago from MGM!

Hello all! I am so excited about buying my first uke. Its a bit funny the way I decided which uke to get. I went in with a budget of $150 (ukulele and case) First choice was the Lanikai LU-21T Tenor Ukulele but after a few more selections I ended up buying an Ohana TK-35G Tenor after some research and watching Ken Middleton's review:). I've read about the high action so I gave MGM a call and was assured the free set up would take care of that. Now the wait begins. Glad to be a member of this community!:)

Stommy
11-05-2008, 12:34 PM
Name:Jesse
How long have you been playing uke? Two days!

If any one sees this, Is the Hohner hu212 any good compared tho other beginner ukes?

seeso
11-05-2008, 05:50 PM

If any one sees this, Is the Hohner hu212 any good compared tho other beginner ukes?

I've never played that uke, Stommy. Couldn't tell you if it was any good or not. Sorry.

Take a look at the ukes that musicguymic sells on eBay. He's a member here, and he treats his customers well. He'll set you up.

Welcome to UU!

deach
11-06-2008, 01:21 AM

Lanikai is a division of Hohner. I am willing to bet it's the same as the Lanikai with different branding.

Stommy
11-06-2008, 03:26 AM
Thanks guys! I found out that its a Lanikai HU 212. And the only reviews I found were good ones, saying they're good for beginners.

wildhunter
11-07-2008, 05:18 PM
Name: Big Dave

How long have you been playing uke?

I don't yet, I'm a long time guitar dabbler and am looking to jump into the ukulele soon.

I'll probably try to go handle a few locally here for fun, then see what MGM has for me. I've been eying his solid wood models because I don't want to have to upgrade anytime soon but I don't know if I should be spending quite that much just yet either. If it works out I'd like to build one at some point too but I'll just start with learning to play for now. :)

monkeysintheday
11-09-2008, 05:05 PM
Name: Mike

How long have you been playing uke? About 1 month

onizukajp
11-11-2008, 03:00 AM
Name: Vince
How long have you been playing the uke? 1 day!

I have always wanted to play the uke so I finally decided to take the plunge and bought myself a uke. Looking to add some of the island life in the concrete jungles of Tokyo.

I hope to be able to contribute something useful in the months ahead.

videoMS
11-12-2008, 04:57 AM
Name: Michael
How long have you been playing the uke? 3 months

Aloha from the island of Alameda!
I have been playing guitar for over 20 years and this year I decided to try another instrument. Always loved the sound of the uke, so I picked up a Kala tenor from a local shop in town. I am hooked!
Love your site and I hope to provide some tabs in the future.

Kanaka916
11-12-2008, 05:03 AM
Name: Michael
How long have you been playing the uke? 3 months
Michael, welcome to the Underground. There are a lot of players in the Bay Area and they always have jam sessions every now and then. Check out Regional Get Together (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21) forum for the latest info or perhaps you can PM or email some of the guys.

Name: Vince
Vince, welcome aboard. We have a few members residing in Japan . . . right off the top of my head; keonepax and ukeninja. I don't know how close you guys are to each other. Would be cool if you guys get a chance to get together.

Gelli
11-13-2008, 10:13 AM
Name: Gelli Szabo
Location: In the middle of Germany: No beach, no sun, no love.
Playin Uke for: not a single second. I ordered a Pono Mango and it should come tomorrow or Monday. Jeah, im very excited. Im playin the piano for like all my life... (10 jears), but my real passion is the guitar (and ukulele i hope). :-)

slownsilent
11-13-2008, 01:23 PM
Name: Austin
How long have you been playing the uke? Since June 08, so like 6 months.

I think I got inspired to play the uke once I saw Shawn Megofna's cover of a Death Cab For Cutie song. And I thank Sesso for letting me realize that you could use the ultimate-guitar.com site to transpose music into ukulele. :] Now that I feel like I'm progressing I'm hoping to upgrade my uke, once I have enough money. And my current avatar is me and tsud123 at USC's Mabuhay festival 08. Too bad he didn't perform.

Youtube sn: slownsilent

UkEdman90
11-13-2008, 01:56 PM
Name: Austin
How long have you been playing the uke? Since June 08, so like 6 months.

I think I got inspired to play the uke once I saw Shawn Megofna's cover of a Death Cab For Cutie song. And I thank Sesso for letting me realize that you could use the ultimate-guitar.com site to transpose music into ukulele. :] Now that I feel like I'm progressing I'm hoping to upgrade my uke, once I have enough money. And my current avatar is me and tsud123 at USC's Mabuhay festival 08. Too bad he didn't perform.

Youtube sn: slownsilent

WUTS UP FELLOW SO CAL-ER! haha weve been playing the same amount of time! howd u figure out about this site?

slownsilent
11-13-2008, 02:02 PM
WUTS UP FELLOW SO CAL-ER! haha weve been playing the same amount of time! howd u figure out about this site?

Heeey! Uhm, probably when I was looking through one of Aldrine's videos. And now that I think of it, his beautiful version of Sunday Morning also inspired me to play the uke.

Lawn Jockey
11-14-2008, 04:18 AM
Hello from NE Oklahoma. My name is Scott. I comprise half of the acoustic duo Lawn Jockey (http://www.lawnjockeymusic.com). We write and perform original folk, Celtic, and psycho-bluegrass music. I play the following instruments:

Piano (38 years)
Guitar (37 years)
Mandolin (17 years)
Banjo (2 years)

I am wanting to add ukulele to my arsenal. Hoping to get some good advice here before I make my purchase and start learning the instrument.

I've lurked for awhile.....and felt brave enough today to register. Great site you have here.

Evilhamster95
11-14-2008, 10:46 AM
Hey!
Evilhamster95 here. I'm 13 years old and i love playing the ukulele.

Here's my channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Evilhamster95

Link
11-14-2008, 10:50 AM
Cool to have you on here. Your videos are very well made. Your collab with puremarkska was super cool. I actually nominated you guys for best collab for the 2008 undie awards, haha.

Mark
11-14-2008, 01:36 PM
Hey everyone,

Finally found UU.

I was born in Honolulu but only lived there until I was 2... so I was soaked in slack key and ukulele music as a sprout -- both parents were ukulele crazy for much of my childhood. Time passed. Last year, for no reason whatsoever, some latent ukulele gene kicked in and, once my Kala low-g tenor arrived, I've been happily obsessed.

I live in West Bend, Wisconsin where I work at one of the University of Wisconsin's tiniest campuses -- which, after 20 years, still seems completely weird to me. But the uke helps take the sting out of the snow.

Any other Cheeseheads in here?

hiho
Mark

iNAKO
11-14-2008, 01:40 PM
Hi, I'm Gino, or iNAKO, (whichever one works best for you)
I started playing uke on and off about 2 years ago, and now I've decided to get somewhat-serious about it. So, I wanna learn me some songs ^_^

dbcali
11-15-2008, 04:42 PM
name: donny
i lived in hawaii kai in my younger days...moved to milpitas (north of san jose) while in high school...played a little in hawaii but just picked it up again last year while vacationing in hawaii...lucky enough to meet some of the great folks at the san jose jam and i'm even more inspired to get better...and this is by far the best site for uke players in my opinion...

d'uke
11-16-2008, 07:09 AM
Hey UU,
Im Davis im 17 was born in Kauai but got relocated to NC when i was 10 (long ways from home :() but i bought a uke on my latest vacation there and haven't put it down since ill be attending hawaii pacific soon so i cant wait to get back home :D

Adyock
11-17-2008, 05:14 PM
Adam

Originally from Minneapolis MN, currently in Boston for the time being.

Playing for about a year, though rather infrequently.

Excited to be here!

Uka_Good
11-19-2008, 09:46 AM
Aloha from Oahu,Hawaii
My friends call me Uka but you can cal me Uka:D. Born and rasied here in my ancestral homeland. Kanaka Maoli. Love to play my Ukulele, coach my kids in sports and hang out with friends and family just having a good time.

Da beach is where its at
Da sun is strong so put on a hat
Go grab a chair and sit on your bum
Pick up that Uke and strum baby strum!!!
Alohazzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!:music:

ahreeka
11-20-2008, 04:29 PM
Hey UU.
Born in California and living in San Diego. I'm Filipino but has been around Islanders and loving the music and culture. I'm not Islander-washed haha, I still know my native tongue. This seems like THE spot for ukulele players. I'm just a beginner in the ukulele and I think this is the best spot to get started. Currently first year college student and I think getting to know how to play the uke would help pass time in between classes lol.

Roadrunner808
11-20-2008, 05:10 PM
I'm a local boi born and raised in Wahiawa. Just moved back to the islands after spending several years on the mainland. I recently got divorced, the reason I came home. Needed to find a hobby so I decided to finally learn the uke. I'm 38 and have 5 kids, 1 of whom lives with me. I own a baritone uke by Shiro but am currently making myself a tenor, i'll post a finished product when done. Other then this I like to fish, camp, volleyball and golf.

fongie
11-22-2008, 02:15 PM
G'Day, My name is Fongie and this is Tipper my black cap lory, we are from Australia, originally from Papua New Guinea. I am normally a drummer, but recently decided on another instrument and I picked the uke because I grew up with ukes in Papua New Guinea. Like Hawaii, uke's in Papua New Guinea is just as big in their music. I am so glad to be in this forum and hope to learn a lot from you guys.
Cheers Fongie & Tipper

ukeSuncion
11-22-2008, 09:22 PM
wassup everyone of UU,

I'm Steven and I was born in the Philippines but came to hawaii when i was a little younger than 2. I've been playing since this past June :music:. Bruce Shimabakuru and my friends got me into it, haha. For now I have just been teaching myself, browsing around the internet...then came upon UU and hope that this site will teach me a lot.

Shootz, K denz.

squirrelygurl
11-23-2008, 06:27 AM
Name: Tara
Location: originally pukalani, maui but now im all the way over in new jersey, its nice though.
-and ive only been playing my uke for about a year now, if you dont count just messin around as a kid. :)

badbox29
11-23-2008, 04:55 PM
My name is Chris and I live in Villa Rica, Georgia. I got my first ukulele last week and am logging serious time with it. I am looking forward to chatting it up with everyone!

BboyEmperor
11-23-2008, 08:04 PM
Hi everyone! My name's Levis. I'm a male turning 15 in exactly 7 days (November 30) I'm not a ukulele player just yet, though I have played some of my friends' ukuleles. I just bought a Kala KA-15s from MGM today on eBay and I hope to get it by the time my birthday comes. I look forward to becoming active on this site and becoming as good as you guys! :)

MiaRosie
11-24-2008, 06:34 AM
Well time to introduce myself I guess ~

I am old, as in kinda old as in not young - well the body isn't, the mind is still as stupid as it ever was.

I'm 48 and live with my partner in the south of England. My name is Jani but I have a youtube account as Miarosie so decided to use that name on here too. I don't have ANY posts on youtube so don't rush off to see :p

I play the clarinet to a decent enough standard, fool around on the ocarina and mouth organ and started playing the Uke about 7 weeks or so ago.

I'm not impatient, but I wanna play like Aldrine - like now - please :D

We have a brill motorhome and go off 'camping' in it regularly - I want / need to be able to play well enough to keep our friends entertained around our fire pit while we enjoy a bevvy or eleven.

If you have any advice, any suggestions, know of anything that will help me play this instrument with the respect it deserves, please share it with me and I will love you forever. ish.

I own a small print business and work from home so I am usually logged into UU to read things in between 'work'.

My partner now also owns a uke - we both have the same cheapy one from a local music store, I'm now ready to get a better one but concerned about buying from a general music shop rather than a specialised one, so I've been nudging Rayan to let me buy from UU ! :bowdown:

:nana:

HoldinCoffee
11-24-2008, 12:46 PM
I'm HoldinCoffee and have the honor of being the world's WORST guitar player. Really, I've won awards for it. I'm from NY and am currently hanging my hat in North Carolina.

So I got my first uke a month or so ago and I love it! Uke's are wonderful! In the right hands, its like an angel playing a little tiny harp. I found UU via YouTube and have found the lessons, minutes, and forums to be a great tool in my quest to "not suck". Not there yet, but I'm havin fun! You-all ROCK!:music:

Ok, I gotta go now, what do you think I do, post messages on forums all day?

kaymm888
11-24-2008, 02:56 PM
Sort of a new member, been looking around for a few weeks now just realized I never introduced myself!
I'm Kayla, of Pennsylvania, and I just got my first uke a few weeks ago, but I've played a little guitar for a few years, and piano for about 10.

Cheers =]

Parlor Picker
11-24-2008, 11:37 PM
Just joined this forum. I am primarily a guitarist, but have been playing tenor ukulele for about 9 months now. I bring out my uke when there are too many guitars at a local music session I attend most weeks. We have just formed a breakaway ukulele session with 5 ukuleles and acoustic bass guitar.

Jockulele
11-25-2008, 01:35 AM
Hi Folks,

Just bought a Uke as I was inspired by a couple of guys on YouTube and now looking to start the learning process.

I bought a Mahalo U320 Concert which I believe gets mixed reviews so any tips on how to improve it will be appreciated.

I have done a search but seems to be few players up my neck of the woods ( Aberdeen, Scotland) so I guess I will be back here with lots of questions.:D

Cheers

Jock

Leisureclub
11-25-2008, 08:04 AM
Hey everybody! My name is John, I'm from central OK. I've been playing the uke for about a month now. I used to play a little guitar, bass and drums but so far the uke if my favorite instrument ever.

They're way too much fun.

Kanaka916
11-25-2008, 11:25 AM
Wow, every time I check this page, there are more and more members. I'd just like to welcome everyone to UU. This is a very unique site where players of all levels can be found. There is a great knowledge base here and hopefully the questions you ask can be answered. Here's a list of threads to get you started. Again, E Komo Mai . .

New to UU? Read this first! (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2630)
FAQ (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2738)
UU Rules (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14)

ShortCut
11-25-2008, 01:09 PM
Hey my name is Mitch. Im 15 been playing my uke since I was about 11-12 can't remember. Right now I have a custom made uke from a guy in town here. I love it it's fantastic! Im currently looking into a Kiwaya Rock uke. Still trying to find somewhere to get one. Im in Canada, I came here because of the... Well cause its all about ukulele! I came here to meet others that love to ukulele. Once I get the Kiwaya uke I would like, I'm going to start saving for a good qaulity camera/camcorder to start getting some video's on YouTube for you all to see. I came to learn new songs, and widen my abbilities one what I can play. I aim to inprove. I play in ADF#B tuning, so hopefully I can find some tabs etc in that tuning.

Sincerly

Mitch

aziandoll
11-26-2008, 12:27 AM
Hi Everyone! I'm in Torrance, California. and am a high school music teacher. I have been teaching public school for 10 years, and am originally a pianist. Now, I have a "School of Rock" program, teach a Mariachi group, and have students interested in forming a ukulele club with me as the sponsor. I haven't been playing ukulele that long, but I pretty much figured it out thanks to books and you tube :)
I had a ukulele about 4 years ago, gave it away, and just this month purchased another one and am completely enjoying it! Any ideas what I should teach my students as part of a Ukulele Club?

Kanaka916
11-26-2008, 04:44 AM
aziandoll, check out this thread (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5446), lotsa downloadable materials and references here. This thread (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5507) may be of interest you as well.

RNail
11-28-2008, 05:27 AM
Hello all, I am 27 and from Gaineville, Florida, home of the Gators. I have been playing my Kala Concert for about 4 months now and I love it.

Thanks to everyone who runs this site, it has helped alot! I cant wait to bring the sound of ukulele to my part of the country, when I get good enough!

songchaser
11-29-2008, 05:32 AM
Hello, I'm Bill in Michigan. Don't play the uke yet, but will start learning soon.

freshhs0le
11-29-2008, 10:03 AM
Heeey ! My name is Rani, im from Union City. I got a eleuke tc100. its pretty dope, & i jst started playing ukuleles. get at meee !

ukebucket
11-30-2008, 04:12 AM
Hey, this is Amber Nash. I live in Cincinnati, Ohio...I play the ukulele. Decided to visit this site more often...cuz...well...it rules.

:)

alika207
11-30-2008, 08:13 AM
Aloha no!

This is 'Alika from Maine. Some of you may know me from any of the following websites:

hawaiithreads.com
taropatch.net
alohaworld.com
iamhawaii.com
tropicalstormhawaii.com

I started playing 'ukulele in late 2008 and love the culture of Hawai'i Nei. I also sing, play piano, surf, write, dance hula, listen to music, and study languages in my spare time.

If anyone would like to ask any questions or simply talk story, please feel free to contact me any time. You can e-mail, PM, or IM me. Mahalo!

Mikasai
11-30-2008, 01:51 PM
Just stop by to introduce myself. I been playing uke for about 4 years when I get time. I live on a small rock in the middle of the South Pacific, we call it Kauai. I play a Raymond Rapozo (gotta support Kauaians), sounds mean but. I found UU awhile ago, but forgot about it, then recently found it again, and have my daughter use it to learn with , when I too busy fo teach'em. Much mahaloz to Aldrine for this site and the ukulele movement. K'den.

Pharmaceutical.Bandit
11-30-2008, 04:34 PM
hey everyone,

i'm Jeremie. I from California living in the Los Angeles Area. Bought myself a Kala
KA-SC ukulele about 3 or 4 months ago and come here regularly to learn. love the site and just want to learn more!

B!rch
12-01-2008, 08:48 AM
Just dropping in to say hey guys :)
Name's robb, i'm 19 and from North carolina. and i'm getting pretty interested in uke ;)

Cerealkiller
12-01-2008, 09:17 AM
Hey all, my name is JB. I was born and raised in Southern Cal and soon, relocating to Arizona. I'm new to the Uke but, I can already feel the addiction that many of you have.

wickedwahine11
12-01-2008, 06:04 PM
Hi everyone, I just started playing ukulele. My family and I visit Hawaii usually once or twice a year, and I have always loved Hawaiian music (especially Iz) but I just started playing a couple of weeks ago. I bought my first ukulele (at Aloha Tower Marketplace...a soprano) and then decided that I would prefer playing a concert, so I ordered an Oscar Schmidt OU5 - which is due to be delivered by UPS on Wednesday.

I've downloaded a bunch of songs to work on and thanks so much to Aldrine for the great videos.

I can see I'm well on my way to making this an addiction. :D

FatCat
12-03-2008, 08:53 AM
Hello all! Brand new here and brand new to the Uke. Actually, I don't own one yet which is one of the reasons for me signing up. Looking forward to reading up on all the info here and making my first purchase soon!

Uke-lahoma
12-04-2008, 03:38 PM
Hey, folks. I've just gotten my first uke, a Kala KA-MT, but I've been looking at this and other sites for several weeks. I'm pleased to see all of the great learning materials out there on the Web.

I also plan to take a stab at building a tenor uke before long.

katreetrunk
12-04-2008, 03:56 PM
Hi everybody I'm kat, and i just started playing the ukulele about 5 days ago and it's almost addicting! so i've played it at least 2 or more hours a day since last sunday.

and i think this ukulele is really awesome :)

http://www.elderly.com/images/new_instruments/180N/KAWTML_front.jpg

ouzinchi
12-05-2008, 01:18 AM
Hi to all at the UU and thankyou.
I have been playing the ukulele for almost a year now and have to say Im addicted as ever.:music:
I Have had lots of questions recently and I have found answers to them all and more right here.
so thanks to all the members for posting and the staff for creating such a wonderful place to play.:worship:

Kanaka916
12-05-2008, 05:54 AM
Just wanna officially welcome all of you to UU. We have have almost 6000 members and new ones almost every day. Hopefully you'll find your visit here gratifying. There are a number of very talented folks/musicians/players/luthiers here as well and are willing to offer advice, recommendations and answers to questions you might have pertaining to the 'ukulele. That said, E Komo Mai . . .

deach
12-05-2008, 06:00 AM
and i think this ukulele is really awesome :)

http://www.elderly.com/images/new_instruments/180N/KAWTML_front.jpg

It makes me hungry. well, more hungry than usual.

Kanaka916
12-05-2008, 06:25 AM
Let's just say we all have different appetites . . .

FatCat
12-05-2008, 08:48 AM
Just wanna officially welcome all of you to UU. We have have almost 6000 members and new ones almost every day. Hopefully you'll find your visit here gratifying. There are a number of very talented folks/musicians/players/luthiers here as well and are willing to offer advice, recommendations and answers to questions you might have pertaining to the 'ukulele. That said, E Komo Mai . . .

Thanks a lot. :)

Great board you have going here and I'm happy to be a part of it. I've already absorbed a bunch of great info. Enjoying the member videos too, good stuff!!

Bram
12-05-2008, 12:40 PM
Hello there,

my name is Bram, i've got my first ukulele like 2 weeks ago and im loving it :D

I first heared about ukulele's when i was helping cleaning up my grandfathers house when he passed away (like 10 years ago), i ran into an ukulele and some banjo's. My mom told me a few things about it and i thought it was pretty cool, but never really thought about it ever since.
Untill a few months ago, surfing on the interwebs, i ran into some youtube vids involving ppl playing on an ukulele and i loved it :D. So I ordered one online, an Oscar Schmidt UO2 (i recieved an UO2E tho) and that's prolly the best 70 euro i spend the last few years. I'm also slowly saving for one of those applause ukes with the multiple sound holes, i really love the looks of those, hopefully they sound as good as they look.

Right now i can play a couple of songs, damn school and work is keeping me away from my ukulele! Anyways, i hope to meet some fellow uke-players irl sometime, to play together and maybe learn a few things.

Ah well.. this is already alot more then i actually wanted to write here, but this is an awesome site (+forum) and i can prolly find all the awnsers/help i need here :)

Cheers,

Bram

ps. im having a hard time playing and singing at the same time, any advice on that? Or is it just like the rest, "practise makes perfect"?

Kanaka916
12-05-2008, 01:38 PM
Bram, Welcom to UU. Here are some threads that can hopefully give you an answer . . .
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6873
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3681
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2346
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1456
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=780

Bram
12-05-2008, 01:53 PM
thanks alot! guess i should have used the search function first

Will_the_padrino
12-05-2008, 02:35 PM
Hi I'm Will. I live in England where everyone thinks a ukulele is a banjo. i am making a campaign to BRING UKE TO ENGLAND!:rock: atm. I play uke nonstop, im self taught (well i learn from aldrines and the dominators videos and tabs:))

Ive always been a fan of aldrine and UU from wen i started uke nearly a year ago, (watching all the latests aldrine vid etc.) but ive decided to become part of the uke community even though im from england.

Shelley
12-06-2008, 01:33 PM
Hi, I'm Shelley. I'm new here.
I grew up in Mississippi and i can't remember there ever not being a ukulele in the house. For the past 3 years i've played in a uke duo called The Uke Box
(http://www.myspace.com/guaranteedtoswoon) and i just recently opened an online shop called The Jumping Flea Market (http://www.thejumpingfleamarket.etsy.com) where i sell handmade items, mostly ukulele related. I also teach ukulele to children and host a monthly Ukulele Jamboree in Rotterdam, The Netherlands.
Come Visit Me, I'd love to virtually meet you!

koalohapaul
12-06-2008, 06:35 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm Paul, from Koaloha Ukulele, hence the koalohapaul handle. I run our shop, fix the tools, mill our lumber, clean the shop, and most importantly, refill the refrigerator with water and juice. Oh, I also run most of our custom builds. I found the underground through Kekani, who is my inlay Yoda. I think there's a video here that Aldrine filmed at the last Ukulele Festival at the Kapiolani Bandstand, but I couldn't find it. I couldn't remember the website he gave me at the time he came by our booth, but I found my way here eventually. Funny thing is, I saw a friend that I met at a Tony Gamble performance, who had an Ukulele Underground t-shirt. I saw a bunch of other people with the shirt and I really wanted to get one. I asked him about it and he directed me here, but I forgot the site again. In any case, I made it and I'm glad to be here. Seems like a very diverse, yet tight knit group.

Aloha,
Paul

PSBubcha
12-07-2008, 01:18 PM
Hello, I'm Joe, you can call me PS Bubcha, I'm from Ohio and I'm new ,obviously, but not entirely new to ukes. i played guitar then started playing the ukulele and i love it. I'm still working on basic skills but I'm good enough to make up my own songs, all sound really similar but it's progress.

i just bought my second (or third) uke. for Christmas one year several years ago my parents got my a toy uke for maybe less than 30 bux didn't really do much with it and it's just terrible so i don't really count it, my first real uke was a Lanikai Lu-21c which i still like but i thought it was time for an upgrade. then i got a Mitchell Mu-100, which i'd like to ask for review or if anyone has liked them. i started playing mainly because of the band Beirut which brought my attention to the uke and i realized that its not all just silly sounding songs from Hawaii, and over the rainbow, which is fine but i didn't know how diverse it could be.

and that's it.

katreetrunk
12-07-2008, 06:39 PM
It makes me hungry. well, more hungry than usual.

agreed! it looks delicious, sounds delicious too haha :)

Bibby
12-07-2008, 10:36 PM
Hi!! everybody,

My name is Kim from THAILAND. I just brought my 1st UKULELE for a couple week and try to learning how to play it.
I heard ukulele from JAKE SHIMABUKURO song.
I use to play Guitar and Bass before I found this instument and I love it.

Now I using LANIKAI LU-21TE.

I hope I'll have many friend for suggest me in this board.

Very glad to know all of you!!:D

jay631
12-08-2008, 01:20 PM
Hi one and all I have only been playing the uke for about 2 months I am not to good but getting better..

My name is Jay and I am from surrey in London UK..

I love the uke and have just ordered my third one!!! I have done a few songs and vids and will post them in the right section..

Hope to meet everyone soon

JAY:music:

Kawika_san
12-09-2008, 09:48 AM
はじまして、 げんき ですか?
New guy here, been lurking for a few months. Awesome forum, big mahalos to Aldrine, Rayan, and everyone for helping us new players out so much. My family all plays music, my cousin's had a band on Oahu for about 20 years. At every luau, they say "When you gonna start playing?" So finally I got one ukulele, can't put it down! Just bought a KoAloha tenor sceptre, can't wait till it get in, hopefully one day I'll be good enough to do that fine instrument justice!
Mahalo nui everyone for sharing da love...
Kawika

Lola Pearl
12-09-2008, 05:31 PM
Aloha everyone!

ive been attempting to play my ukulele for a little over a year and getting the hang of little songs here and their, but want to get better! alwayse open to learn new things and i love every second i play it!

"Lola Pearl" is her name and she is a Lanikai concert. my partner in music!

hope to learn alot

Roo

rekabneb10
12-09-2008, 06:48 PM
Aloha from snowy... freezing... Rochester, New York!
Benjamin here. Ben jamin on the uke for about 2 months when I figured out that the accordion was not a travel instrument while in Portland. Shipped the 40 pound bugger home and bought myself a Makai Concert. Got hooked and am really excited about teaching myself (with the help of the entire online uke community). So far I have been able to control myself when it comes to UAS (can't... hold out... much... longer!)
Eventually hoping to travel to the islands. Im pretty handy with tools (studied silversmithing, blacksmithing, and woodworking in school) and I would really like to learn some traditional techniques of building ukes.

Any thoughts, suggestions for new ukes?(gotta get a new one now that im noticing how terrible the intonation is on mine!) Thinking Flukes, Fleas, Ponos, Koaloha, Republic reso, Beansprout... oh so many to choose from!

hbuke
12-09-2008, 07:05 PM
Name: Kaller =]
Location Huntington Beach, CA
Playing?... about 5 months.. ever since i got back from visiting with my uncle in Kauai...
Hooked ever since. haha =]

gallopingsalmon
12-09-2008, 07:22 PM
Name: Donovan
Playing: for a few days. Visited my friends at college and they had some ukuleles picked on up and have been hooked on it. Decided to get my own. I got a Kala KA-KT from MGM. any one have any experience with those?

ukudele
12-09-2008, 10:17 PM
Name: Del
Location: Glendale, Ca. Guahan 671 Barrigada for life though!
Playing: For about eh 2 years?.....eh sounds about right. give or take.

sebi
12-10-2008, 10:34 AM
hi everyone
my name is SEBI, i live on the 7th floor of an apartment building in solothurn, that's in switzerland :p i started playing the ukulele in nov 2008, just a few weeks ago and fell in love with it. i've been playing bass guitar for 17 years and have studied jazz in the US and in switzerland. i like any kind of music and after having played hundreds of gigs with my bass, my goal is to put together a band where i can play the ukulele on stage. so, wish me luck :music:

the viola guy
12-12-2008, 11:47 AM
Hey guys!
Im adrien, 19, live in Marseille (south of france), but lived in London until 2 years ago (i love that city!)
I bought a nice Tiki Flea Concert Ukulele a couple of months ago, it sounds lovely and i fitted it with aquila nylguts with a special low G set (yeaaah you got that right, low G on a concert size :p)
Musically speaking Im a classical music player (viola and french horn :D) and
concerning modern music im into punk/ska annnnd a little reggae here and there...

Eiles
12-12-2008, 01:42 PM
Hi everyone !

I'm Elie, I just turned 18 and I live in Paris, France.
I started playing two months ago on a Br&#252;ko No. 6 Soprano ukulele and I really love the sound of this instrument, playing on it just makes me happy.
I think I already have UAS since I'm thinking about getting Koa Pili Koko Tenor (http://cgi.ebay.com/BLOWOUT-SALE-KOA-PILI-KOKO-TENOR-UKULELE-w-case-20_W0QQitemZ250341452272QQihZ015QQcategoryZ16224QQ cmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting) (Come on it's Christmas...)

MTB
12-13-2008, 09:50 AM
Hi! I'm Margot and i'm french. I'm 16 and play ukulele since only 5month so.. i'm not a really good ukulele player. I know this website because i click on a link in Youtube (a video of The Lion sleeps tonight).
I play drums (since 6 years), guitar (since 7 years) and piano (since 3 years), too. We can say that i'm a musician haha. :D I bought my uke for 30€ during this summer.
I hope you understand my english :)