PDA

View Full Version : Introduce Yourself!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

cloudswinger
03-24-2009, 03:58 AM
I'm Lucy. I'm in SE. Florida. I bought my first(and currently only) uke 5 years ago on a trip to Hawaii. It was a Tangi Sopranino. We actually also got one of those cheapo souvenir ukes for the other kid in the house, but that's such a piece of junk. Got pregnant around then, so played around on it for a little bit during the pregnancy, but had no time afterwards until now to practice. So I've picked it back up about a month ago, and have been practicing daily since.

CoffeeMate
03-24-2009, 01:26 PM
Hello, My names Mel. My husband and I took up the Ukulele two weeks ago, We LOVE it and now have three. Looking for a fourth. We can't help ourselves. I've never picked up a string instrument in my life. I figured 34's a good age to start. Love this site and the people are just adorable.

slapbass
03-25-2009, 06:39 AM
Hey all..Im a upright rockabillybass player but have been messing with the uke for awhile..Just bought a Kala mahogony tenor..
Been lurking on the site for awhile and have learned alot..
Going to to finally do my homework and learn this wonderful instrument!!!

RyRod
03-25-2009, 02:35 PM
Hey, the name's Ryan
Hometown: Dearborn Heights, Michigan
Been playing for: a couple months.
I love playing it. I play everyday no matter what.
www.myspace.com/ryanmrodriguez

paisley
03-26-2009, 04:01 AM
Hi there, this site looks great :)
I'm looking at getting a ukulele each for me and my daughter sometime very soon, and found this site while browsing around for info.
I've toyed with allsorts of instruments over the years (mostly ones you blow into), but my husband plays guitar well, so I'm hoping he can help us along a bit.

John Kavanagh
03-26-2009, 05:47 AM
I've been lurking and posting occasionally for awhile, so I should introduce myself. Some of you I know from other forums.

I've been playing uke since about 1972 - it was my first instrument, and still my favourite. I went through Chalmers Doane's school uke program in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Like many of us in Canada, I owe much to Mr. Doane.

Later I studied classical guitar, viola da gamba, and musicology at universities, preparing me for a lifetime in book retail. I also work as a freelance writer and a freelance musician.

After being a sideman on other people's CDs, I released my first solo CD, "Parlour Music" in 2006. It's ragtime and classical music arranged and played by me as ukulele-guitar duets. You can hear some of it, or even buy it, at the link in my signature.

I play a hotrodded Harmony uke - a 60s baritone), with a new spruce top and upgraded hardware. It's
strung as an ad'f#'b' tenor (D tuning witha low 4th).

I have a disturbingly large repertoire of hokum and novelty songs ("where do you find these things?"), plus the classical stuff I do, and jazz standards and ragtime and what-not. I love to sit in and experiment, so I've played a lot of different music.

My musical heroes, after J.S. Bach of course, are Django Reinhardt, Dietrich Buxtehude, and Cliff Edwards.

I live in beautiful rural Nova Scotia, Canada. I lead a weekly uke group and give lessons, and play as much as I can. I'm working on another uke CD.

TheTy
03-26-2009, 11:03 PM
Yo!.
My name is Ty, i've been playing Ukulele since Tuesday and can't seem to put it down.
I grew up in Southern Maryland(DC) and moved to Honolulu little more then 2 years ago.

I'm full time at the University of Hawaii at Manoa. I work too, and now with what little time i have im playing my Uke.

-"Whether you believe you'll succeed or believe you'll fail, either way your right."

UkeNukem
03-27-2009, 03:56 PM
Name is Bob from WPB Florida. I play guitar and drums currently but have wanted to play uke for quite a while. So I found this to be the most interesting and active uke forum and am getting good info for my search.

:cheers:

jfcote
03-28-2009, 07:49 AM
Aloha!

Name's Jean-François (Jeff, Gee or G might be easier for the non french), living in Montreal.

I had a couple of weeks of ukulele in 4th grade or so. Played the tuba in high school and have tried the bass guitar last year. A couple of weeks ago I had an urge to get an Uke! "Cheap Fun Music-making Device" said my brain! "NOW!" said my guts.

I got a Mahalo concert at the closest music shop and Bam! Instant Love! (Not love for the specific still unnamed Uke (when she gets real strings she'll get a name) but love for uking in general!)

I just bought my second uke (from MGM) - a Kala solid mahogany soprano. Can't wait till I get it!

I'm still getting through the basics... strums and chords and other basic stuff.

More details on my blog (http://www.nonobots.com/blog/2009/03/21/getting-started-with-my-ukulele/)

Cheers!
-- -- --
Gee
nonobots.com (http://nonobots.com)

ukuleletim
03-29-2009, 09:09 AM
Hello. I'm Tim. Live in Austin, Tx. Played guitar and various stringed instruments for many years. Got a uke several months ago out of curiosity and I love it.

So far I have this up...http://www.youtube.com/ukuleletim with a few videos.

I have other music on myspace (http://www.myspace.com/timkeough).

Glad to be here!

kissing
03-30-2009, 12:45 AM
Hi everyone. I'm Sam..~

I'm an Australian living in Victoria who has developed strong interest in Ukeleles recently ^^ It would be my first stringed instrument as I mostly play wind instruments.

I'm currently saving up for a Kala KA-TE (I felt that a couple of bucks extra to have the capability to plug it to an amp may come in handy some day) from MGM. I did see a very cheap Mahalo Soprano for around $20 AUD at a local music store, so I'll also consider grabbing that as a quickfix while saving up and waiting for the Kala from ebay.

Nice to join the forum :o

ukulelencalvin
03-30-2009, 06:40 PM
hi=] umm im calvin and i love playing my ukuleles.
i have 3 ukes. :nana: that bananna is cool.
i love playing reggae, and island music. :shaka:
byee.

Hidden Character
03-31-2009, 11:27 PM
Hey guys, the name's Carlo :3

I've only started playing the uke about two weeks ago. I only intended to learn Isreal Kamakawiwo'ole's rendition of "Somewhere over the rainbow," but after learning it i just had to learn more about this unique instrument :D

Anyways, i sure hope i can make some uke-playing friends here :3

Drpsyco
04-01-2009, 04:12 AM
I am : Nicolas
play the ukulele from 1 year 1 / 2

Armelle0808
04-01-2009, 04:23 AM
Hello !

I am Armelle from Burgundy, France, and I have started playing the ukulele _ my first instrument_ about 10 months ago. I have a Bruko 6 soprano and a Concert Fluke.
I'm struggling to learn as nobody plays it around here. But I enjoy it very much and hope to be good at it someday !

Bosko and Honey
04-01-2009, 05:21 AM
G'day!
We've finally gotten round to joining the Underground! Have been looking in for a long time and know that this is the happening place!
I'm Bosko, and Honey's my other half... we've been playing uke for 4 years and have just finished travelling around the world (not all of it!) meeting and playing with other ukers (including some members here!)... it's nice to finally be a member!

seeso
04-01-2009, 05:44 AM
G'day!
We've finally gotten round to joining the Underground! Have been looking in for a long time and know that this is the happening place!
I'm Bosko, and Honey's my other half... we've been playing uke for 4 years and have just finished travelling around the world (not all of it!) meeting and playing with other ukers (including some members here!)... it's nice to finally be a member!

Welcome, ukulele ambassadors to the world! :D

Bosko and Honey
04-01-2009, 06:00 AM
Welcome, ukulele ambassadors to the world! :D
Cheers, Seeso: The World's Greatest Ukulele Party Facilitator!;)

ukeshale
04-01-2009, 06:05 AM
welcome to the underground! good to have you here :)

Kanaka916
04-01-2009, 08:04 AM
Oh shootz, Bosko and Honey! E Komo Mai! UU welcomes you with open arms. I'm pretty sure the members here are looking forward to your comments and insights.

Ahnko Honu
04-01-2009, 08:14 AM
WOW! We have Bosko and Honey here now? Property values just skyrocketed!
E komo mai, yookoso, welcome. Me and my better half have been fans for a while. When you coming to Hawaii the home of the ukulele? :shaka:

Pippin
04-01-2009, 11:12 AM
G'day!

Welcome, Bosko & Honey. Glad to see you out and about. :)

Bosko and Honey
04-01-2009, 01:28 PM
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome!! We're very happy to be here!

Oh shootz, Bosko and Honey! E Komo Mai! UU welcomes you with open arms. I'm pretty sure the members here are looking forward to your comments and insights.
Thank you Kanaka916:)
Dunno how insightful we are though!

E komo mai, yookoso, welcome. Me and my better half have been fans for a while. When you coming to Hawaii the home of the ukulele? :shaka:
Thank you! You know we really wanted to come to Hawaii on the Safari, but when we started out we didn't know anybody, and once we did we didn't have any money left! :(
But one day we will - the Ukulele Safari will never be complete until we do!:D

Kanaka916
04-01-2009, 01:40 PM
You can also reply to this thread (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11629) . . .

kealoha
04-01-2009, 08:20 PM
sup my name is josh and i live on OAHU!!! i jus got my new kamaka tenor and im lovin kawai eva since i got her...:music:

purplemonkeylounge
04-02-2009, 02:39 AM
Name: Jon
How long have you been playing ukulele: I've been playing the ukulele ever since next Monday, when mine arrives.

HelloDisaster
04-02-2009, 01:14 PM
hello!
im Kate, I've only been playing for about a month, and im in love! I have a Makala Standard, who is affectionately referred to as simply 'the uke', and im slowing teaching myself, and learning what i can from ye olde internet...
im a college student so it keeps me occupied when i really should be doing homework....heh

umm thats about all i have....im kind of bad at introductions....

Weasel
04-02-2009, 01:58 PM
im a college student so it keeps me occupied when i really should be doing homework....heh

Haha, yep, that's me. In fact I have a math test tonight I need to be studying for...yet here I find myself at the computer, uke in hand...

HelloDisaster
04-02-2009, 03:15 PM
Haha, yep, that's me. In fact I have a math test tonight I need to be studying for...yet here I find myself at the computer, uke in hand...

the call of the uke is a difficult one to ignore... much to the dislike of my neighbours....

xbendystevex
04-03-2009, 10:06 AM
Hi everyone!

I'm Steve and I'm from Chelmsford, England. I've been playing instruments pretty much all my life but only been playing the uke for.. oh about 3 weeks? I've found the going pretty good so far, it's a tremendous amount of fun to play.

Anyway, I've been lurking for far too long so here I am, all joined up. Hi!

Dora
04-03-2009, 12:27 PM
Hi I am Dora, I have been playing uke and acoustic guitar very badly for a little while now :D I love my uke, I have a cheapy makala blue dolphin thingy. So much fun to play. Just got a new guitar for my birthday, I am still grinning so hard it hurts. I can't read music and I am not very quick with the chord changes but my boys know better than to complain, hehe.

I am so pleased to find a groovy uke place to hang, I look forward to getting to know you good folk.

newfie_uke
04-03-2009, 04:49 PM
Hi everyone I'm Ted and I'm probably one of the only members from Newfoundland, maybe not.... love to be proven wrong. I've been playing guitar for about 10 years but just recently bought a uke so looking forward to learning a few things from the site.

Manalishi
04-04-2009, 12:16 AM
Hello,I am Luthien and I am in Derby,U.K.I have played guitar for forty odd years, and three and a half weeks ago,I picked up a Ukulele from a local music shop,just to see if I could handle it! Okay,it was a Purple Mahalo Soprano,and boy have I learned a lot about those babies,on the forums! I had to lower the action at the nut first,then at the saddle ;then change out the joke strings that came with it. I have ordered some Aquilas,as no one had any in stock,but pro tem have put some Rotosound ones on,which has improved matters no end.
Then,as I was enjoying the little beast,and really playing for hours on end (which I tend not to do on the guitar so much) I must have been struck with a quick case of UAS. I went and shopped around a bit and settled on a Kauai KUC-70B Concert Ukulele. It has a solid cedar top, a plastic soundbowl (like Ovation Guitars,if you know them?) and already had aquila's on! I just loved the tone and volume,compared to the extremely basic Mahalo,and it called to me,so I got it!! Seems like a good forum to read,and ask,dumb newbie questions, so nice to sort of 'meet you all'.

A quick update on the Mahalo:
And...(on 17th April) had a fiddle with the original Mahalo today.Took the nut down a tad more,about the thickness of a piece of tissue to be fair,and found a saddle insert that I had knocking about,from a guitar job I did a while back. Trimmed the (bone) insert to size,slipped it into place and ka-pow!!!! The difference was amazing. The Mahalo has had Aquilas on for a couple of weeks now,and I had already 'tweaked' both nut and saddle,but this is a revelation. The sound is suddenly fuller, 'rounder' if thats what I am trying to say,and the intonation,as near 'perfick' as could be found on an absolutely bottom line instrument! It has given it a new lease of life,in fact. Pity I then spent the afternoon strumming away, instead of doing various things I had planned...oh well, thats what the 'Uke thing' is for,isn't it????

Raygf
04-04-2009, 01:56 AM
Okay, it's time to introduce myself and whittle away at my junior member status. My wife and I live in Catonsville (Baltimore), MD. Thanks to Freedive135 for starting the KoAloha Crowns. You inspired me to register and stop being a lurker. I've been playing fretted instruments for most of my life and the ukulele bug bit me several years ago when one of my guitar students asked if I could teach him how to play ukulele. I told him he was a bad influence because I didn't have one so I had to buy one. You know the rest of the story. I now have 7 and have paid my deposit on a Glyph tenor as a 50th birthday gift to myself. Dave starts building it in Nov. 2010.

In the past year I have taught two local beginners ukulele classes, one at Appalachian Bluegrass Shoppe and one for Howard County Rec and Parks. I love helping people learn to make music. I teach elementary vocal/general music in the Howard County Public School System.

I have wanted to start a local club from the moment I put an ukulele in my hands and it looks we'll be having our first gathering at Appalachian Bluegrass this month. Emory and I have been talking about it for quite a while. Anyone in the Catonsville/Ellicott City area please contact me if you are interested. I'll post a message with the info .

Well, it's time to post this and go retune those three ukes I just restrung last night. SPRING BREAK IS HERE, HALLELUJAH!!! :smileybounce:
Peace,
Ray

UkeNukem
04-05-2009, 01:15 PM
HelloDisaster put it well. . .

"the call of the uke is a difficult one to ignore"

Joannejo
04-06-2009, 04:39 AM
Hi !
I'm Joanne, from Lyon in France.
I've been playing guitar for 4 years, and I began Ukulele one year ago.

I'm glad to join you ! :)

bballkid03
04-06-2009, 12:58 PM
Wassup everyone! I'm Alex and I live in North Carolina. Been strummin on the uke for almost 4 months now. UU is second on my most visited sites list (ESPN is on top because it's my homepage.) I found out about UU when I found all my beginner ukulele books too boring.

junkyddog11
04-06-2009, 03:55 PM
Great site. Look forward to being a part of it.

Matt.

HAYNUKEBOY
04-07-2009, 11:04 AM
Howzit ukulele underground!
I'm Keali'i
I'm born & raised the big island way! Hilo side!
I've been playing da uke 4 about 3 years now! still eager to learn more though!
Alohaz!

HelloDisaster
04-07-2009, 11:41 AM
HelloDisaster put it well. . .

"the call of the uke is a difficult one to ignore"

haha im glad you enjoyed that

MysticRatboy
04-09-2009, 05:51 AM
Hello.
Im living in Santo Domingo, Dominican Rep. People around here only know piano and guitar. Im probably the only ukuleler. Got me a concert Oscar Smidt U5 off amazon.

I just picked this instrument cause i want to be different, casual and funny. I saw some ukulele videos and the sound just lightens me. :)

I have some solid theory base on piano. But Im slow on rhythm. Im looking forward to learn to play it well and educate my friends :P

Spooner
04-11-2009, 11:06 AM
Hey fellow uke obsessors,

Name: Spooner

Soup: crab and corn chowder

Fruit roll up: pineapple (naturally) :D

I have been loikin 'round these parts for a few years now. It's nice to be "out in the sunlight."

:shaka::shaka::shaka:

Cago
04-11-2009, 06:55 PM
Hi there.

My names Caitlyn. I'm 22. I've been playing the ukulele since september when my dad gave me a lanikai soprano for my birthday. I immediately fell in love with it. I also play guitar and some piano and I sing.

A couple of days ago I bought a kala mango wood tenor. It has made me the happiest girl in the world.

Sunnydayzsurfer
04-13-2009, 01:55 AM
Greetings and salutations,
My name is Paul, I live here on Oahu (McCulley area) and I just picked up my first Uku about a week ago at Dan's guitar's (Beretania and McCulley). I did not intend to buy anything, but somehow got rushed out with an uk. (Makala MK-c) Since I got hurt on the job (Lifeguard in Waiks/ Ala Moana) I was stuck looking at the walls in my house, and feeling bummed about not being able to get in the water. So, with this month or so that I've been off (hopefully not many more months...), I found something that really got me excited to be off my feet. I saw a video of Aldrine on youtube-looking for some kinda beginner's songs-and saw him jamming on an old Bee-Gee's song "How deep is your love" and nearly fell off my seat and tore my MCL on my other knee. I was amazed- first, that someone actually knows that old song and can play it on something I only before had associated with Tiny Tim (comedian) and Bruddah Iz-and second at how good it sounds-the song adapted to an ukulele- (in Aldrine's hands of course!).
So wow, here I am with an Uk and starting to learn an instrument. I haven't been this excited since I learned to surf about ten years ago (which brought me to Oahu four years ago.) So thank you Aldrine for your enthusiasm
and aloha, which is contagious, and to the UU guys which support all levels of players alike! (Lessons,questions, live shows, etc..) Aloha all y Mucho gusto!:shaka:, Paul Franco

j05h86
04-13-2009, 05:53 AM
Hey hey, Jeremy from Morgantown, WV here. I used to play guitar when i was younger and i also can play the piano. I have a couple electric guitars sitting around, which one i won't touch since i won it off of myspace and it's signed lol. But i always loved the acoustic, which i stopped playing a few years ago when i had came home during a thunderstorm one night and found my scared puppy at the time in the closet with my chewed up guitar. Which sad to say, i never replaced it, and there ended my guitar playing. I recently have been wanting to get back into it, but this time around i had gotten into some uke videos on youtube and ended up ordering my first one the other day. It should be here this week and i'm excited to start playing. It's good to be on the forums.

Captain Google
04-13-2009, 06:53 AM
It's good to see another West Virginian uker! You won't regret your purchase! :shaka:

dirk.li
04-13-2009, 09:30 PM
Hello everybody,

I'm Dirk, 35, from Aachen, Germany.

Here's my ukulele story...

I started playing the uke about a year ago. I bought my first uke (a Brüko No. 6 solid mahogany soprano) after watching the "The good, the bad and the ugly" theme version by the Ukulele Orchestra of GB on YouTube. Some weeks ago I've also started producing videos on YouTube.

When I was 10 - 14 years-of-age, I learned to play the mandoline. I used to play in a mandoline orchestra for 3 years. But I didn't like mandoline music anymore by the time I got 14 - they only played Italian / Russian folk music and some classic stuff. Apart from that I had weekly piano lessons from age 6 to 18. In my teens I started writing songs for the piano.

When I started studying mechanical engineering in 1994, I stopped making music entirely. During this time, for 11 years - until July 2005 - I didn't touch an instrument at all. In July 2005 I wrote another song for piano & voice. When I played this song on an open microphone event and people liked it, I took up playing the piano again.

In 2008 I bought an acoustic bass guitar and a little after that my first ukulele and since then I've almost stopped playing the piano at all... only concentrating on the uke!! What can I say... I just love ukes! I really regret that I haven't come across this instrument before!

The problem is, that there are no ukulele teachers around here. And no other ukulele players in my region (I don't know any). So, I'm teaching myself by learning to play cover songs and watching UU lessons now.

I think the first ukulele player from UU I encountered on YouTube was Deach. Immediately I took a liking in his style. Probably due to his enormous charisma!? He suggested the UU forum to me and so I registered.

And now I'm here. I'm quite happy to find so many ukulele enthusiasts in this place! I hope I can make some friends here. :)

Well, that's about it... Feel free to ask if you wanna know more!!

Yours,
Dirk

Ukulele JJ
04-14-2009, 05:46 AM
Hello !

I am Armelle from Burgundy, France, and I have started playing the ukulele _ my first instrument_ about 10 months ago. I have a Bruko 6 soprano and a Concert Fluke.
I'm struggling to learn as nobody plays it around here. But I enjoy it very much and hope to be good at it someday !

Bonjour, Armelle! :D

JJ

Armelle0808
04-14-2009, 10:27 PM
Bonjour, Armelle! :D

JJ

Hi JJ !
I like your quote by Florence Foster Jenkins :D

xbrrrian
04-15-2009, 02:36 PM
Hi everyone!
Name: Brian.
Here's my story I guess... lol
SO, I was browsing youtube videos and I ended up finding this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JQ4KhZ2BrU
At first I had no intention of buying a new instrument. After watching more ukulele videos it looked fun. Then I began looking more into ukes (brands, sizes, etc.) and thought it would be a great alternative to the guitar because I jammed both of my pinky fingers while playing basketball and they didn't heal right(they go over one whole fret instead of where it should be, if that makes sense? lol) plus I missed playing the guitar.
My first pick was the Lanikai LU-21C. My parents don't like using credit cards over the internet because they're scared of scams so buying it online wasn't an option. I went to a local music shop but they didn't have any ukes and I didn't feel like driving all the way to San Marcos to go to Guitar Center lol.
FastForward a bit lol...I ended up visiting relatives in San Francisco and I went to a local mall with my cousins. I had $40 saved up and my parents gave me $50 to use there. While in the mall I spotted a music shop with ukuleles and guitars hanging on the wall so I decided to check out the ukes since i've never seen or held on in person. They didnt have any Lanikai ukes but they mostly had Makalas and Kalas. I asked to see this really nice Kala uke and the price was a little bit over $250, so that was already out of my price range. So I asked to see a Makala. The price was $69 so I told them i'll take it. Then the lady helping me told me she will take out a new one since the one I was holding was a display. So I watched her grab a box from behind the counter. She unboxed it, took out the uke, and thats when I realized it was the wrong uke. It was the $250+ Kala uke, not the Makala I asked for. In my mind I was wondering if she would realize that it was the wrong one or if she will charge me $250+. I didn't say anything. She tuned it and handed it to me and walked me to the counter for checkout. As she was pressing buttons on the cash register it read the price to be $69 and the total was $74.69. I didn't know if I wanted to tell her it was the wrong uke but man was the Kala too gorgeous to give up. I handed her $75 dollars flat. Took my receipt and stormed out the store with the a HUGE smile on my face hoping she wouldn't tell me to come back in.
I hope I didn't commit a felony :confused:.
I bought her on January 24th, 2009 so I guess I've been playing since then. If you're wondering how I still remember the exact price and date, I really don't, I just have the receipt still so I'm looking at that lol.
Well, that's my story. &Here she is =D
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f43/brriaannn/IMG_0555.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f43/brriaannn/IMG_0560.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f43/brriaannn/IMG_0559.jpg
Dang I wrote a lot... lol

poppyz
04-15-2009, 11:03 PM
Hey everyone! the name iz Tristan.
been playin n jamming the ukulele for almost a year i think.
live at kahului, maui..
som friends tried to stop me from playing the ukulele, but i didnt :D
so, wenz the next lesson?? hahah jk

UkeADoodleDoo
04-16-2009, 07:39 AM
Hey were ukeadoodledoo

Matt and Jacob

North-West of England

We have been playing for about 5 months

We have a ukulele orchestra that consists of about 15 people at our school [if they all show up]

We love to jam and have recently made our first video check it out!

Peace Out!

SeLF InfLIctED
04-16-2009, 10:21 PM
originally from saipan. in riverside county,ca. now. been jammin da uke since 01. self taught ( self inflicted ). was jammin by myself for a while till i got my bro and cousins into it. three man band. went good for a while..... jammed for 150 + peeps at my pops 50th bday. but after that havent really had a decent jam sesh. but that socal jam sesh is this sat. so im syked. :shaka:

oh and i jam a mele concert w/ fishman pick-up. PLUG IT IN... PLUG IT IN! HAHA

UkeTubeUK
04-17-2009, 10:15 AM
Hi everyone! I'm Francis, and I live in Cardiff, UK.
I've been playing ukulele since late December and love it.
I'm a teacher and radio presenter. Take a look at my history website:

http://www.historyhelper.co.uk

and log-on to this link every Monday at 7pm British Summer Time (6pm GMT) for my weekly radio sports phone-in.

http://www.stickam.com/radiocardiff

Also, check out my new YouTube ukulele site!
http://www.youtube.com/user/UkeTubeUK

Cheers everyone!
Francis.:music:

JustSomeGuy
04-17-2009, 02:44 PM
I'm Rob. I live in Knoxville, TN USA, but I am from elsewhere. I've been playing ukulele for two months, but I played charango and guitar for years prior to that.

This is me on charango: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FA4IzRsLvU

And this is me on uke: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMCBEIH5bR0

My YouTube channel is http://www.youtube.com/leoharemusic

I'm looking forward to whatever I can learn!

Jason Paul
04-18-2009, 03:24 AM
Hey guys!

I joined here a little while back but have only lurked until now. I also play the Native American Flute and the Irish whistle, so my interest and attention fluctuates between them.

I do keep feeling like the uke is really my favorite though, and a recent birthday and subsequent order of a Mainland concert has got me back on the forums. :)

Jason

Daionsavage
04-18-2009, 02:19 PM
Hello everybody!

IRL Name: Melker
Lives in umeå, northern sweden, scandinavia, europe.
Married, two kids (11 and 13 years old).
Works in a microbiology lab during the days.

Mostly a bass player, started out on the piano when I was nine but it's the bass that has given me most opportunities to play with others. I've been playing the electric bass since I was 22. I started to play upright (out of sheer necessity) when I joined a folk band three years ago. Discovered how rewarding acoustic and unplugged music can be and along with that came a curiosity with other acoustic instruments. It was during the last summer that I realized how fun it was to play the ukulele. I bought myself a cheap harley-benton concert that surprised me by having perfect intonation after I adjusted the nut. I played it every day and performed in the street with my son who beatboxed :). The harley-benton died this winter in a horrible accident (don't ask, there were splinters all over the place! :eek:) but it was replaced by a lanikai concert that I'm happy with (so far anyway). I still play the bass. There is a shortage of upright players were I live so that's what people ask me to do but it's the uke that has most of my attention when I'm at home. :music:

Coop
04-18-2009, 03:06 PM
Hey everyone,
My name is Jesse, but everyone calls me Coop. I have been playing Uke everyday for about 3 months. No previous experience before that. My girlfriend, Chanelle, knows Aldrine and the guys from way back when so she turned me onto Iamhawaii and UU. We live in Denver now, but will be in Kauai for the summer. Hopefully I can play everyday while I am there and step up my game. Can't wait to see some Ktown Heroes live!
Thanks for everything UU,
Coop

Choboy
04-19-2009, 05:50 AM
Name: Steve
Location: I live in New Jersey and I go to school in Washington D.C.
Years Playing the Uke: Technically 3 years. Really...3 weeks
Ukes I own: None! But both a Lanikai LU-21 and a Mainland Soprano are on its way! I do own a uke case. I also bought a humistat humidifier which should come soon. =P

MaryFishaaa
04-19-2009, 06:23 AM
hiii im mary :D ive been playing for about 3 years now. i have a vintage uke(no idea what it is/where it came from. my grandpa found it at a tag sale.), a crappy lanikai soprano and a concert sized pono. i started playing cause my hands are too small for guitar. im from massachusetts, so everyone thinks im weird when i tell them i play ukulele. what evah!

uke4all
04-20-2009, 11:01 AM
Hi, my name is Lareina. I live on Oahu. I started playing uke 4 months ago. I try to practice about an hour a day. Still got a ways to go, but I am determined. I must read these forums everyday and they are very helpful and quite funny! Right now I have 2 ukes. 1)Kala spruce concert 2)kala koa cedartop concert. I am awaiting the day when I can purchase a Koaloha. One day...

dberlin
04-20-2009, 11:25 AM
Hey I'm Dan from Berlin- and I'm a cinematographer.
I just got my Uke one month ago and I'm practicing as much as I can :)
It's the first instrument I'm really learning(well I started violine when I was like 7 but ummm forget it...)

Thanks to so many helpful and cool people around it's really fun to learn and I feel I improved much more in these few weeks than in those damn years at the music school :mad:.

So, I have a Soprano Stagg US60 that really rises my mood whenever I take it in my hands and play my few chords :D
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3638/3370795389_8880bcb768_m.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/danpv/3370795389/)

Best regards,
Dan

CoffeeJunkee
04-20-2009, 08:04 PM
Hello, I'm Dave

I live in St. Louis Mo.

I have been playing for about 6 weeks.

UkuEroll
04-21-2009, 01:35 AM
Hi
My name is Leroy and I live in the uk, I have been playing guitar for years but due to a spinal injury I am now in a wheelchair:mad:, and found it too difficult to hold and keep playing Guitars. We bought our grandaughter a ukulele and I've found a new lease of life, I now have 2 Ukes, one Clearwater soprano and a CK-C Lanikai Concert, not my first choices but us brits are not so luckys with shops that are acessable with good stocks of ukes:(.
Hope I have posted in the right forum, just thought I would make a start as I've been watching for a while and thought it was time to get involved.
Thanks to all the Mods for this group, its fantastic and really seems to be friendly.
I hope to make some good ukulele online friends, see you in the forums

Myala509
04-22-2009, 10:03 PM
What up everyone. I started two days ago! I got no music background but I find this really fun and I cant put it down. I got two ukes with me. A makainai built uke and a Lanikai. One is concert and the other is tenor.

erickGOES
04-23-2009, 07:51 AM
whats up guys! my name is erick.
i really like Hawaiian reggae and thought it would be cool if i could play the ukulele to impress the ladies.. haha. anyway, i look forward to reading and learning from you all. just be easy on me if i ask newbie questions. never played anything before.

peace
erick

uke552
04-24-2009, 05:23 PM
Glad to be part of a great network of Uke players...I know I will learn a lot! I have played mandolin for several years and picked up the Uke a few months ago...can't put it down! I own a Flea (soprano) and a "old unknown brand" soprano (eBay purchase). Take care all and keep strummin!

Polido
04-26-2009, 01:42 PM
I'm name is Polido
I'm from Portugal and I have 19 years old...
I've playing ukulele for 1 week and 2 days XD
I'm learning the first steps right know but I really like this instrument and I play 4 hours for day...

P.S.: my english is very bad. bless you brothers

heywadsworth
04-27-2009, 08:47 AM
Hi, my name is Jay and I live in Wilmington, NC. I bought uke about 2 years ago...then promptly put it away when I couldn't do anything with it! I picked it back up about a year ago. I have an Oscar Schmidt Concert Uke and a Makala soprano which I actually like better!

HaleKai
04-27-2009, 09:12 AM
Hi everyone,

I've been lurking around for a while now and thought that it was about time to introduce myself. I'm Don and am located in Albuquerque. I've been playing guitar and banjo for too may years to mention. I got interested in the ukulele when a local music shop offered a workshop just prior to my recent vacation to the Big Island. (My forum ID is from the condo I stay at while visiting the BI, Hale Kona Kai) I think the uke is an amazingly versatile instrument and I envision it becoming my favorite. The Ukulele Underground has been a terrific resource for me as I progress. I love Aldrine's lessons. I'll probably start a thread a little later about my ukulele experiences on the Big Island during my visit. In the meantime, aloha and mahalo!

Don

rossjr
04-27-2009, 10:12 AM
Aloha Everyone!

My name is John and I am Ukulele-a-holic.... I know I don't have it as bad as some of you but I like the line....

I found your website through some very interesting people I met during my last visit to Maui. I was attending some free lessons at the Lahaina Cannery Mall that is offered to one and all free on Tuesday's beginning at 5:45pm. They will even provide the Ukulele to use.... While waiting for the event to start I met a couple from San Diego and they stongly recommended the site. I have been more of a lurker over on Ezfolk of late....

So I started loving Ukulele's back in 2005 during a trip and learning about Jake Shimabukuro. While I don't think I will ever play like or as well as him, I do love the sound and the many forms of music that can be played on it. So during my trip in 2007 I picked up a Tangi Mango Tenor, tuned with the low G string and started playing with it. Being in MN it is very difficult to find instructors and life got busy so I really didn't spend as much time as I would have liked with it but I plugged along... Then during my last trip I picked up a Mele 6-string Koa Concert again tuned with the low G and really started back at it with a vengence. I am hoping to start attending a local support group called StromMN that meets the first Sunday of the month but we'll see I guess.

Aloha! You have a great place here!:shaka:

04-27-2009, 10:36 PM
Hey! I've been playing guitar since I was 12, writing songs since I was 21, and a uku player for a month. :) I bought my uku some time ago and I just stuffed in the closet and forgot about it for a while. Just recently I pulled it out and played a couple chords. Now I'm back. I feel bad for my Taylor but man, my uku rocks. Granted its a cheapy one. But hey its functional. I hope to get better at it and planning on buying a better one in the future. Any suggestion as to what UKU to buy for a moderate player? Ciao

jack crowder
04-28-2009, 03:04 PM
Howdy, my name is jack crowder and I live in Santa Rosa, Ca. Been playing guitar, mando and 5 string banjo and got interested the uku. I have a new Kala coming and welcome the chance to learn something new and meet some new folks.
Seems like a great site. Thanks.

Pueo
04-29-2009, 11:42 AM
Hi all, decided to finally get around to introducing myself. My name is Damon and I am a Haole married to a Hawaiian. I started playing guitar when I was about 8 years old but then stopped after high school as my music tastes changed from 70's rock to 80's new wave - it was tough to play along! I picked up an ukulele a few years ago so that I could learn to play along when I would go to my father-in-law's house and there was always some type of jam session going on there, it seemed like fun. Then I heard Braddah Iz. Then I heard Jake. Then I heard Steven Espaniola. I really fell in love with ukulele and try to play every day. I now own two ukuleles and I have my eyes on a third!
All you SoCal folks, I'll see you at Kolohe on Tuesdays!

Fujimo
04-30-2009, 03:01 AM
Getting into the Uke after playing guitar for 3yrs. I have found my love with this little sound box. Look forward to learning all I can from this site and more. South Texas...the pearl of the Texas coast.

Fujimo

LolaT
04-30-2009, 10:10 AM
I found this forum a couple of weeks ago after decided to dig up my old ukulele from when I played it the fourth grade. I still remember going to the local music store with my teacher to get it. It was $15. I've been saving it all this time, literally saving it from my husband chucking it in the garbage or trying to get rid of it in a yard sale. I don't know if I kept it for sentimental reasons or if it was because I actually thought I might play it again one day.

My little boy (18 mo.) really likes music, so recently, I thought it would be a fun idea to learn to play some simple children's' songs and introduce my two young kids to music. I found my ukulele in the basement still intact in its cardboard box with my name written all over it in the colors of the rainbow. I tried to tune it, re-tune it, and tune it again but it sounded really bad. I almost scrapped the idea but I decided to press on and get a another inexpensive one. I found the Ukulele Underground and after much reading and research, I decided on the Kala KA-C mahogany concert ukulele and a chromatic tuner.

I just got my new uke earlier this week and I'm so happy with it. I may be less musical than I was at nine (I don't play any other instruments) so it's coming slowly. My hands are small and I have a hard time with some of the chords other than C, F, and G, but it's a lot of fun. I would like to try to teach my older one (4) later too. I'm really motivated to be able to play it maybe even for post-preschool aged people.

I'm really glad I found this site. Thanks!

JCMcGee
04-30-2009, 02:22 PM
Hello....My name is Jimmy...I'm Scottish but living in the beautiful, small English seaside city Brighton.

I play in the world's most interesting ukulele band The Bobby Mcgees:
www.myspace.com/thebobbymcgees

and I make the worlds funniest ukulele tutorials:
http://www.youtube.com/JCMcGee

I only just found this place!
I been using Ukulele Cosmos & Uke Hunt for a while!

plasticsushi
05-01-2009, 07:55 AM
Hey there!
I'm Ariana, going to university in Boston, but from Philly originally. I'm really interested in starting to play ukulele, but frighteningly incompetent at music. I played piano for 5 years, and harmonica and guitar for 1 each... I'm hoping to start fresh, damn it.

I love folk punk, ska, punk, pop-punk, and assorted indie rock. I really want to be able to play Jawbreaker, and assorted pop-punk on the ukulele... Just looking for information. I guess I'll see where this goes!

bluelake
05-01-2009, 04:40 PM
Hello all,

I have been playing my tenor uke for about a year. I bought it in Kauai. I fell in love with it. I was a bass player most of my life. I have been learning from Aldrine and lovin his talent. First I found seeso on my space and that led me here. I live in Maine www.tinderhearth.com and we play music and bake bread. I am going to try and have a ukelele festival next year and get aldrine and seeso to come if I succeed in getting the grant. Love you guys. Keep up the good work.

pnoycali619
05-02-2009, 06:01 AM
Hi my name is Jon from Vallejo then moved to San Diego....i just started playing the Uke about 6 months ago and i love it! i wish i could find someone who can teach me how to pick and read tabs.

Kanaka916
05-02-2009, 10:47 AM
pnoycali619, there are a lot of folks in the SD area and all the way up to Oceanside and SoCal as well. Here are threads you can reference as far as members go. contact them via PM and see where it goes.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11731
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12706
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9021

ScottieUke
05-03-2009, 04:01 AM
Hey All!
Im Scottie, New Brunswick, Canada.
JUST got into ukes. Sold my drum kit. STILL waiting for my Kala ASMT, Tenor, Solid Mahogany, Cutaway Uke from Musicguymic. w00t!

Tink
05-03-2009, 05:25 AM
Hi guys! new to ukes! just got a mahalo concert, and re-strung it with aquila Nylguts, as per the recommendations on here. sounds brilliant! just learning chords and things now, played the guitar a bit before, so un-learning those will be a bit of a problem, but i should be ok.

Any uke groups in the UK?

seeso
05-03-2009, 05:46 AM
Hi guys! new to ukes! just got a mahalo concert, and re-strung it with aquila Nylguts, as per the recommendations on here. sounds brilliant! just learning chords and things now, played the guitar a bit before, so un-learning those will be a bit of a problem, but i should be ok.

Any uke groups in the UK?

I think you'll find that it's not so much unlearning your knowledge as it is translating it.

I know there are plenty of uke groups in the UK, but I don't know any names or places or anything... You might want to make a new thread here:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21

You can also pop into the ukulelecosmos.com forum and ask around. I know they're mostly Euros over there...

Good luck and welcome!

seeso
05-03-2009, 05:47 AM
Hey All!
Im Scottie, New Brunswick, Canada.
JUST got into ukes. Sold my drum kit. STILL waiting for my Kala ASMT, Tenor, Solid Mahogany, Cutaway Uke from Musicguymic. w00t!

w00t!! :D Welcome.

sdsponger
05-03-2009, 09:27 AM
I'm Damon from San Diego. I've always loved the relaxing sound of the ukulele. So while on vacation in Kauai recently, I decided to pick one up. I got a Kala KA-C. BTW, I've never played any instrument and don't know how to read music, so I'm a TOTAL newb haha. I have a feeling I'll be spending a lot of time in these forums.

Saw a guy in a music shop in old Koloa Town in Kauai sporting an Ukulele Underground t-shirt :shaka:

dian_na
05-03-2009, 10:48 AM
Hi I'm Dianna, learning my way around the sight. I recently purchased a Kala soprano, and then a baritone and now a washburn tenor, which I have now learned is laminated, grrrr, I was counting on the koa, lesson learned. Another $50 dollars have also learned I could have had a solid koa tenor.
I'm determined to learn to play the ukelele. I've barely began, but its fun so far. I'm looking forward to learning much from everyone here. Someday when I get over the fear of flying want to visit Hawai. Missouri is very NOT Hawai.

Bratset
05-04-2009, 06:24 AM
Hi, I'm Bratset :cool: and I'we been a little while here on the forums but I havent gotten around to intorducing myself until now :wtf:

I bought my first Ukulele about 2.5months ago (it was also my first instrument). I am now completley hooked and I use alot more time playing it than I would have anticipated of forehand ;-)
So anyways that's it :D

P.S Appologies for any spelling errors I am Norwegian :rofl:

DukeofUke
05-05-2009, 02:08 PM
Hey everyone, I'm Duke. Like many others I recently picked up my first Uke and I can't seem to put it down. I have a couple of questions if anyone out there can offer a newbie some insight.

I was looking to buy a decent entry level Uke and discovered the Mahalo UK220, then I thought why not spend a few bucks more and get the UK220E which has a built in pick-up but I've heard some discussion that suggests built in pick-ups may negatively affect acoustic sound. Any thoughts/ suggestions?

Also, anyone know of Ukulele teachers or classes in the Los Angeles area?

Thanks!

RedNeck Uke
05-06-2009, 03:12 AM
Hey im John from nashville 16 and ive played uke since after christmas, and this is defenatly the most n00b freindly website.:D

bool_schitt
05-06-2009, 07:55 AM
Hey, Greg here from Singapore. Been playing for less than a year, have a Mahalo U30G(USD$20) and 2026(USD$40). Currently too cheap to get a better one:p P.S. A little guitar experience thrown in, a year or so's worth

Fun fact: I never cared about the ukulele until one day, out of the blue, I was like "Damn i need a uke". Here's where it brought me :D

lareelman
05-06-2009, 05:31 PM
Hi, I'm Jeff. I live in Hollywood, CA. I've been playing a baritone for about 4 or 5 years. It had a size (and tuning) that suited me because it was so similar to my guitar. But I recently realized that I wasn't getting the true uke experience, though I'm madly in love with my baritone. So I decided to get a smaller uke as well.

The soprano is much too small for me. It's a toss up between a concert and a tenor. I bought a concert a few days ago and am feeling it out. The music store has a 30 day return policy. I've tried the tenors and really like them but I wanted to give the smaller one a fair try first. So I guess my uke adventures are just beginning.

ladymokulele
05-07-2009, 11:07 AM
Name: Moe Ramone
How long have you been playing ukulele: About 2 years!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsGIjyd5yxw

jmmquah
05-08-2009, 10:50 AM
Hi - I'm James in Ireland. I've been lurking around here for a while and decided to take the plunge. I've been playing the uke for a few months and am the proud owner of an Ohana CK35g - its great!

I've posted a few videos to my youtube channel below - average but fun!

Anyway look forward to being a member of the community!

James

ScottieUke
05-09-2009, 05:28 AM
w00t!! :D Welcome.
Hah, thanks Seeso for the welcome.
I have to say, I watched about all your videos on YouTube and they were a huge part of my inspiration to go out and buy my own Uke dude. (Esp. "I shot the Sheriff") hah.
Keep it real.
///S

ScottieUke
05-09-2009, 01:19 PM
Hi, I'm Jeff. I live in Hollywood, CA. I've been playing a baritone for about 4 or 5 years. It had a size (and tuning) that suited me because it was so similar to my guitar. But I recently realized that I wasn't getting the true uke experience, though I'm madly in love with my baritone. So I decided to get a smaller uke as well.

The soprano is much too small for me. It's a toss up between a concert and a tenor. I bought a concert a few days ago and am feeling it out. The music store has a 30 day return policy. I've tried the tenors and really like them but I wanted to give the smaller one a fair try first. So I guess my uke adventures are just beginning.

That's a pretty awesome story Jeff,
Im glad you decided to venture into the "true Uke experience". I agree that soprano uke's are pretty small. but there's no cop-out involved in a tenor! Ive got a great little Kala Tenor and she's a beaut.
Keep it Real!
///S

Uncle-Taco
05-09-2009, 01:56 PM
I'm Dave and I live in Salt Lake.
I was introduced to ukulele in grade school (LONG ago!;)) and got into it again about a year ago.
I'm glad to have found this place!

DapperDan
05-10-2009, 07:54 AM
Hi, My name is DapperDan and ive been playing for a few months, i thought it would be worthwhile joining a forum full of people who share passion for the Uke!

neohealy
05-10-2009, 09:28 AM
Hello,
I am Katie and I have been playing Ukulele since late last summer. I have really enjoyed it so far. I have a banjo uke and a Fluke. I've heard of this site and figured I may as well join up and see how it goes. :-)

veep
05-11-2009, 03:53 PM
hey am I stephen been playing for sa few months.

Winin' Boy
05-12-2009, 05:14 AM
Hello!
My name is Frederik and I'm from Sint-Niklaas, Belgium. I play the ukulele in a band called "Winin' Boys", hence the screen name. You can see some vids of us over on youtube if you want to see us in action.

I am also one of the organizers of the Belgian Ukulele Festival. The Festival, I admit, is now the main reason I joined this forum...

Ahum, lemme explain, I forgot to take any pictures/videos during the whole weekend the BUF took place. :wallbash:
Now, I'd looooove to have some photos to cherish those memories.
So if anyone has any, please send them to me, or contact me!:anyone:

Thank you very much and uke on!

ThePunkWay
05-13-2009, 12:42 PM
howzit?

i'm on oahu! finishing my last semester at LCC and headed to the University of Hawaii at Manoa to major in Philosophy (and maybe double major in Political science as well)

been seriously playing for two months.... but before that i could play surf and one night stand.... lol

nice to be here, love the site!

(BTW, i got here because i was browsing youtube, and one of sesso's vids linked here)

wfwhitson
05-13-2009, 01:53 PM
I grew up with a father that could pick up, and play just about any stringed instrument. Over the years I have tried with no success, to learn to play something, Guitar, Mandolin, Banjo, Piano all with no luck, or time. Now that I am retired I have the time. I need to back up a little, about three years ago I met and married a wonderful lady from Hawaii. Fast forward I was sitting around one day very board, and she told me I needed a hobby.

My grandson call me one night, and ask “Popo will you buy me a ukulele, I want to learn to play it” will what can you say to that but yes. Will I started looking and found a ukulele here on the mainland, bought two that day. Than I found this guy on eBay that lived just a few miles from my family (MGM can‘t say enough good about Mike one of the best people I’ve ever dealt with.) anyway bought three more ukuleles from him, and looking at a fourth one.

I have been learning out a book that I also got from Mike. Going pretty good, for me anyway (only three usable fingers on left hand) so I have to rearrange the chord pattern a little. At least I am happy with the noise I make, and my wife hasn’t left home yet
:shaka::music::old:

CoLmes
05-13-2009, 04:16 PM
Didn't even see this topic, been here for a little while but I guess i'll introduce myself now.

My name is Colin, I play D3 college basketball. Was captain for 2 years, but recently got a scholarship for art at an art institute in Boston. Thinking about transferring there atm, not sure although they are affliated with another school who has a team and wants me to play. We'll see what I decide to do pretty soon here.

My 2nd passion is photography. I have an eye and see little things that people miss but my real skill is bringing out what I see through the process of editing. I'm thinking about majoring in graphic design but who knows.

And my new found passion, ukulele. I bought a plastic toy one off of ebay for a dollar. I don't really know what inspired me to get one. I only played one other instrument, the trumpet, for a week in 5th grade. I shoved one of those metal cleaner things up my finger and that was the end of that. The ukulele I had didn't even make a real note but it was FUN playing. I played non stop trying to learn songs from youtube. That was probably a year in a half ago. Now I have two real ukulele's, I know about 15 songs and i'm starting to play for small crowds. It's really something to go out even in a small little open mic in town, and get the crowd more into the performance that the actual bands that have real gigs. I'm only half of the puzzle though, my singer and girlfriend Brit is AMAZING. I'm trying to convince her to go on american idol, I really think she could do something with her voice. She sings awesome all the time, but when she's infront of a crowd she's a different person and her real voice comes out. If I do convince her to get on there, I will be bringing the uke and will be mentioning UU if for some reason I get on camera. (Besides Castro, who else ever brought a uke to american idol)

anyway that's me in a nutshell, I hope to one day be as good as some of the guys on here. I love playing more modern, unthinkable songs on the uke. Songs you wouldn't expect, hiphop is one of my favs to play.

I'll see everyone on the forums, if you ever want to check out my photography or videos I have links in my sigs.

Hope you guys have a good time here, this place is really something special!

Bratset
05-14-2009, 01:43 AM
hello! My name is Marissa, I'm a complete musical idiot but I'd like to take something up and ukuleles are pretty much awesome. that's my story!

Oh Yeah Ukuleles are Awesome! Welcome to UU

lefty dan
05-14-2009, 03:01 AM
Hi, My name is Dan (Lefty Dan). I live in Morgan Hill Ca. Retired and play a little guitar.
I like to build things. Thought Id build a guitar kit. First I bought a Stew Mac ukulele kit. I figured Id make my mistakes on the less expensive ukulele kit before going on to the more expensive guitar kit.
Well the mistakes were small and could repair them. Then I realized I like the ukulele. Mostly for its portable size. I got a book and now I'm having fun with the ukulele.
We will see where it goes, but I sure am having fun and also enjoy this forum.
Thanks
Dan

rondhi
05-14-2009, 09:17 AM
I wonder if anyone actually reads the introductions.

Greetings! My name's Ronald. I get my username from half my first name and last initial, combined with the spelling of Gandhi. I've played acoustic guitar for six years on and off and picked up a Mitchell MU100 laminated koa concert ukulele back in August 2008 at Guitar Center.

Ukulele's quite a bit of fun. I'm a fan of happy music, and the ukulele has a fun tone to it. I'm getting to be a fan of acoustic music and singer-songwriters, and hope to write songs someday. Such singer-songwriters that influence me are Kina Grannis, David Choi, Molly Lewis, and Jonathan Coulton.

I recently found a ukulele store in Huntington Beach called Island Bazaar, and started going to the weekly ukulele jam that goes on every Thursday evening. Bryan Tolentino played a concert at the store, and that's when I decided to step it up and nab one of the 10 Kamaka ukuleles that were put on sale.

I'm a pretty geeky person. When I'm not answering phone calls at work, I'm browsing the web, reading about computers, science, gadgets, video games, and music. Luckily, I also have the freedom to bring my musical instrument to work and play quietly.

I'm also working on starting a YouTube channel. I only have two videos up, which are both covers of Jonathan Coulton, and my goal is to eventually write a few songs and put them up.

http://www.youtube.com/rondhimusic

Bratset
05-14-2009, 09:24 AM

I do :cheers:
Welcome to UU
Subbing to your channel, and looking forward to more vids in the future!

seeso
05-14-2009, 09:31 AM

I do too. Welcome!

Kanaka916
05-14-2009, 11:21 AM
So do I . . .

Ahnko Honu
05-14-2009, 11:57 AM
I even respond to certain introductions. ;)

LazyRiver
05-14-2009, 12:08 PM
My name's Al. I just ordered my first "real" uke. I haven't touched one in about 50 years. At that time I had a plastic soprano that cost about 5 bucks. I'm looking forward to getting back into strumming and learning how to play properly. I've been busy learning the sax in the last few years and, now that I'm retired, am really enjoying music.

t0th1nk
05-14-2009, 08:08 PM
yo, t0th1nk here aloha from singapore. Just started playing the uke last year in december. Got a $36 uke and lemme say, real good strings does make a big difference. :biglaugh:
I joined the forums about a few weeks or so ago but due to exams so i delayed the intro part. So uh, hi. :D

Bratset
05-14-2009, 10:20 PM
yo, t0th1nk here aloha from singapore.

Heya, cool to see Singaporeans(?) here :cool:
Been there four times and I love that country ;-)

Moondoggie
05-15-2009, 03:35 AM
Hey gang!

Since I've de-lurked, I figure it's as good a time as any to introduce myself.

I've been lurking around here for awhile, but finally got my real-world life under just enough control to where I felt like I could start posting in here. Whenever I start contributing to a forum, I usually wind up being pigeonholed (ouch) as the wise-cracking-yet-helpful-post-whore-who's-pretty-good-at-Photoshop-and-types-really-long-posts. So get your scrolling fingers ready, people!

I'm stealthily creeping up on 40, which is why I'm usually found covered in camouflage paint with a Bowie knife in my teeth. When I catch 40, it's gonna know it's been caught.

Growing up, I was a trombone player in junior high and high school, but haven't picked up an instrument in twenty years. Last Christmas I started jonesing and begged my wife for a ukulele. Having never played anything with strings before (I was quite used to needing two other people with trombones to play a chord), I told her to get something rather cheap but not plastic. That's when I found my little Lanikai under the tree.

I've been coming along pretty well and will be posting some videos soon, both to track my progress and so my parents (who live in Texas) can see me play (I'm in Connecticut). Plus, I'm getting into it enough now that my wife has okayed my birthday present - a Kala Acacia Tenor. So even though the b-day is 5/28, I'll be sitting around playing my Lanikai until June. Oy. But in June, it'll be worth the wait!

My music palate is very diverse and, while I can't say I like every song I've heard, I can say that I've liked at least one song in every genre I've heard. And I intend to play them ALL! At some point. Eventually.

On the non-ukulele side, I'm an ADD patient, a former motocrosser, a current web developer, I love the color purple (the color, not the movie) and I'm three years past a victorious battle against cancer. And I have ADD. And I get distracted easily. Did I mention I play the uke now?

dominicfoundthemooon
05-15-2009, 04:25 AM
Hey gang!

Since I've de-lurked, I figure it's as good a time as any to introduce myself.

hey moondoggie..

welcome to UU and out of your lurking.. i am down with the photoshop skillz! and i am glad to hear you are winning over cancer.. can get get rid of that thing already.. i mean for real..

yes post videos.. and when you do send me the link and i will hit you with a sub.. you can check out my videos in my YT link..

t0th1nk
05-16-2009, 05:04 AM
Heya, cool to see Singaporeans(?) here :cool:
Been there four times and I love that country ;-)

Lol, cool to see a singapore supporter. xD
Thanks btw! :D

cent
05-16-2009, 06:29 PM
name: vincent
how long i've been playing: winter '06

pandaking
05-16-2009, 08:22 PM
hey everyone! I'm Andrew.

Living in good ole Arkansas... Heh.. Anyways. Yeah just recently got my first uke(A cheap Mahalo U-50G, and by recently I mean about a month ago) Hoping to get something a bit better soon. But that's about it. I'll probably be on here a lot looking for tabs/chords or just chat chitting with everyone.

NewMexicoDawG
05-17-2009, 12:12 AM
Craig Here aka NewMexicoDawG Nice to meet everyone Thanks for all The Great Info:)Hope to gain some friends:)

One Love:):shaka:

CassidyRock
05-17-2009, 09:36 AM
:cheers:Hey my name is Cassidy I just bought my first Uke a few days ago and I've already been writing a few songs on it. I'm absolutely in love with my Washburn tenor uke and i'm excited to start playing it more! I'd tots appreciate any helpful hints/tricks for beginners! Cheers until then. :cheers:

Bratset
05-17-2009, 11:05 AM
hey everyone! I'm Andrew.

Welcome to UU! :rock:

Craig Here aka NewMexicoDawG Nice to meet everyone Thanks for all The Great Info:)Hope to gain some friends:)

Welcome to UU :shaka:

Hey my name is Cassidy

Welcome to UU!

ukesteezy
05-18-2009, 06:27 PM
Name: Allen
Uke years: 2 and proud of it!

Dirka
05-19-2009, 01:59 AM
I greet you, awesome Uke-people.

The name's Dirk, but my Canadian buddies rechristened me Dirka.

I picked up the Uke less than two weeks ago and I'm pretty stoked on it. It's my second time of trying to learn an instrument. First one was the Djembe. It sucked. So, I decided to play it safe and get the cheapest instrument that still seemed reasonably playable, and I went for the Makala Dolphin. I don't regret it.

It really takes time for me to learn things, but that's no surprise, because I've never had anything todo with music in my life. I was happy to drop music in school after year ten. So, a little while ago, I watched "Surf's up", that animation film where the penguins do "the thing on the water". At one point, Jeff Bridges sings this song with the line "it's impossible to be down when you're playing the uke". I was intrigued. When I stumbled upon the wickedly awesome beardsong (http://sophiemadeleine.bandcamp.com/track/beardsong) my mind was made up: I was going to play the uke.

I have neither money nor time for regular lessons, so UU and all the other wicked online sources help me a lot. I'll probably be lurking most of the time, but I still wanted to say hi and thanks.

Oh yeah, and I totally have to agree with Mr Bridges: it IS impossible to be down. Even though all I can manage so far are some German nursery rhymes and a badly butchered version of "Island style", it is just SO much fun!

Peace,
Dirka.

USMA Uke
05-19-2009, 08:39 AM
Hey Ya'll

New to UU and newish to the Uke. Got a OU5 Concert Uke and I've been playing for a month or so. I'm located at Westpoint, New York at the Military Academy. Any help would be great, here's a link to my first video and one of the songs I learned. Tell me what ya'll think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1vPLgXTy5w

Take it easy ya'll,
Dan

deach
05-19-2009, 08:41 AM

The name's Dirk, but my Canadian buddies rechristened me Dirka.......

So is that pronounced "Dirk eh?"

Dirka
05-19-2009, 09:18 AM
Haha, nooo.

More like Dirk-uh

It's a stupid reference to a stupid movie - Team America - but it stuck, and now it's a reminder of my wonderful times there.

Kase
05-20-2009, 07:09 PM
hola everyone. im really new to this. been tryin to do guitar for years but fell in love with uke in the end =)

am from singapore, asia. love travelling and lomography as well. lets trade some tips here and there and really hope i can get my hands on this uke soon!

Bratset
05-21-2009, 01:48 AM
hola everyone. im really new to this. been tryin to do guitar for years but fell in love with uke in the end =)

am from singapore, asia. love travelling and lomography as well. lets trade some tips here and there and really hope i can get my hands on this uke soon!

Welcome to UU!

Danuke
05-21-2009, 04:10 AM
Hi All

My name is Dan and I live in the highlands of Scotland. Only been playing about with the Uke for a few months and have no musical background so it a slow process but I'm lovin it. I can pick out a few basic melodies and strum a few basic patterns on the easy chords (dang that E minor) and that's about it.
Found this site about a week ago and been lurkin about the forum and going over all Aldrines lessons and Uke minutes, wow super useful. The lessons are a bit much for me at the mo but some of the other stuff on theory like the scales and how to find chords and stuff was great for me. So thanks to all the UU staff for that and thanks to all the other UUers on the forums for making this such a great place. I've loved scanning your posts for info and ideas and especially loved the video's a lot of you have posted, it's just amazing what some of you guys can do with this little instrument. Going from just a couple of books to learn from to all this has made the world of difference to me. Now sit back and wait for all the questions :rolleyes: I'll try and take it easy on you.

Cheers Dan

Bratset
05-21-2009, 04:19 AM
Hi All

My name is Dan and I live in the highlands of Scotland. Only been playing about with the Uke for a few months and have no musical background so it a slow process but I'm lovin it. I can pick out a few basic melodies and strum a few basic patterns on the easy chords (dang that E minor) and that's about it.

Welcome to UU Dan.
Started the Uke without musical background too, and it's getting along now.

Deirdre
05-21-2009, 01:58 PM
Hello everyone. I am new to this forum and new to the wonder that is the ukulele. I have never managed to learn how to play an instrument or read music, despite being surrounded by talented musicians and music teachers. I decided to get myself a ukulele after listening to a 7 and 5 year old play their ukuleles on CBC radio. Hoorah for children who are more talented than I will ever be!

choan
05-22-2009, 04:16 AM
Hi all.

This is Choan from Barcelona, Spain.

I've been playing guitar, bass and other "big" instruments for fifteen years. I bought my first uke six months ago and I love it–well, not that first instrument which features an awful intonation, but ukuleles :)

Now I'm working on a uke-centric show which I intend to present on July. So, Barcelona ukulele players, I want to meet you!

I've just started a blog (Spanish language) on music, string instruments and ukuleles. You'll find it at http://choan.musicosas.info (http://choan.musicosas.info/). Videos and tabs are not language-dependant ;)

unluckymum
05-22-2009, 11:13 AM
Have been practicing for about 8 months now, although had owned a uke for a year before that had not got past 'king of the swingers'. Then discovered all the inspirational talent on youtube and havn't put it down since :)

Bender
05-22-2009, 12:36 PM
Hi all, I've only been playing for about two months now, and I'm really grateful for all the advice (especially tabs) that I've found on this site. Between all the videos on Youtube, and all the pics and info here, I feel like we're all family already!

That being the case....can I borrow $20? I've bought three ukes since I started playing and that ain't enough. Seriously, someone call a doctor, I must have a case of ukulele fever.:eek:

Is there a "uke's anonymous" forum somewhere?

"Hi, I'm Bender and I can't stop buying ukulele's."

Bratset
05-22-2009, 12:53 PM
"Hi, I'm Bender and I can't stop buying ukulele's."

It's called UAS :p

pickerpete
05-23-2009, 03:03 PM
I'm Pete, a long time singer guitarist, upright bass player (prefer jazz) and ukulele player. I love relaxing with the uke, playing some old tunes and not taking myself too seriously. Its actually impossible be serious about anything when your playing the ukulele. I often play Nursing Homes and find the uke to be a great addition. Seems the old folks love the ukulele.

flicker
05-26-2009, 06:24 AM
Hey there, My name is Willy I've been playing my Bushman Jenny Concert for a little over a year now. I love the uke, and was excited to find this site to chat with other uke lovers.

:)

seeso
05-26-2009, 07:38 AM
Between all the videos on Youtube, and all the pics and info here, I feel like we're all family already!

That being the case....can I borrow $20?

heheheh... nice try. :p

Bratset
05-26-2009, 08:27 AM
Hey there, My name is Willy I've been playing my Bushman Jenny Concert for a little over a year now. I love the uke, and was excited to find this site to chat with other uke lovers.

:)

Welcome to UU!

KC8AFW
05-26-2009, 02:59 PM
Hi. I'm KP...and I'm a uke-a-holic. I've been playing ukulele for about a week now.

I just couldn't help myself. After stumbling upon videos of people doing ukulele covers on YouTube (damn related videos), and the awesome tutorials on UU...I just fell in love with the sound and decided I had to have one. So, the big brown truck of happiness delivered my Lanikai LU-21 Soprano last Wednesday and I've had a hard time putting it down every since. And, yes...I'm already planning my next purchase(s).

I am a guitar convert. I used to play rhythm guitar in a blues band...but life and family happened and I no longer had time to commit. So, its been a few years since I've swung an ax. I don't claim to be a musician...more of a hack, really. The stuff I know how to play sounds really cool when you have a band backing you...but it sounds kinda boring when its just you. So, one of my goals as an ukulele player is to learn to sing and play at the same time (Currently, that's a pretty painfull experience).

I'm sure that's more than you ever wanted to know...so I'll shut up now and go play the uke :music:.

I look forward to being a part of the Ukulele Underground.

-KP

Bratset
05-26-2009, 09:26 PM
Hi. I'm KP...and I'm a uke-a-holic. I've been playing ukulele for about a week now.

I look forward to being a part of the Ukulele Underground.

-KP

Welcome to Ukulele Underground!
Had it just the same way as you when I got my Uke!

johnscott99
05-28-2009, 03:46 AM
Name: John
How long playing Uke: 4 months

ukulelebadass
05-28-2009, 04:32 AM
What a great site!

My name is JJ, I've been playing uke on and off for about 18 years and have started to get really into in the past two years. I just stumbled across this site while looking for reviews of that Antoniotsai fellow who sells the inlaid ukes on e-bay (I'm glad I didn't buy one!)

This site seems to be an excellent resource and I'm thrilled to have found it.

I started playing in high school when I found a ukulele that someone had given my father as a gift, but he had never played. I decided to learn and never looked back. That uke was a great solid maple soprano, and I really wish I knew who made it because it got stolen and I'd love to replace it.

I generally play a tenor, my current fave being a KALA that I have had for a little over a year, and which is just starting to really mature into a beautiful sounding instrument.

Thanks very much to the sites administrators for making this place happen! I can't wait to get more involved with this great on line community!

Regards to all!
-UB

seeso
05-28-2009, 07:33 AM
What a great site!

LOL Great screen name! Welcome to UU, JJ. :D

WhenDogsSing
05-29-2009, 02:25 AM
Hello folks. I've been playing guitar since I was a child. I got tired of lugging heavy, bulky guitars around so I started playing ukulele. What a difference...!!! I like all types of music but generally play folk rock type stuff (Bob Dylan, Neil Young, John Prine...), some original and some improv. I am enjoying myself very much listening to all the great ukulele players out there. Check me and my dogs out at:

http://www.youtube.com/user/WhenDogsSing

:music:

Bratset
05-29-2009, 06:43 AM
Hello folks. I've been playing guitar since I was a child. I got tired of lugging heavy, bulky guitars around so I started playing ukulele. What a difference...!!! I like all types of music but generally play folk rock type stuff (Bob Dylan, Neil Young, John Prine...), some original and some improv.

Sweet music tase :D Welcome to Ukulele Underground!
Big fan of Bob Dylan, Neil Young etc myself :shaka:

lolsara
05-29-2009, 08:53 AM
Oh hai, my name is Sara and I bought a concert uke... 3 months ago? Perhaps 4? Either way, I'm still pretty new and therefore...not very good.. but I have fun haha. I'm getting ready to go to University of Delaware in the fall and hopefully I can find some more uke players there!

seeso
05-29-2009, 08:59 AM
Oh hai, my name is Sara and I bought a concert uke... 3 months ago? Perhaps 4? Either way, I'm still pretty new and therefore...not very good.. but I have fun haha. I'm getting ready to go to University of Delaware in the fall and hopefully I can find some more uke players there!

If you can't find them, recruit them! Start a club. :)

UKISOCIETY
05-29-2009, 08:59 AM

Good. Uke players will keep you out of trouble in college.:D Welcome Sara! A concert uke, eh? What's the brand?

P-Uker
05-29-2009, 09:09 AM
Aloha from the ukulele capital of Kentucky! I bought my first ukulele back in November and have had a bit of an addiction problem ever since. I have been mostly learning from online resources and watching Youtube videos. Have been to a couple meetings of a new ukulele club in this area, and plan on attending at least part of the big event Hoosierhiver is putting on next weekend.

Today at the drive thru window at McDonalds I was paying for my coffee and the lady looked in my truck and saw my ukulele in the front seat. She started laughing at me. Little does she know...

WhenDogsSing
05-29-2009, 11:19 AM
[She started laughing at me. Little does she know...]

I love it...!!! She might catch on someday...!!!

HaileISela
05-29-2009, 11:57 AM
Aloha from the ukulele capital of Kentucky! I bought my first ukulele back in November and have had a bit of an addiction problem ever since. I have been mostly learning from online resources and watching Youtube videos. Have been to a couple meetings of a new ukulele club in this area, and plan on attending at least part of the big event Hoosierhiver is putting on next weekend.

Today at the drive thru window at McDonalds I was paying for my coffee and the lady looked in my truck and saw my ukulele in the front seat. She started laughing at me. Little does she know...

welcome to the UU! May you turn that lady into a fellow Uke-ist soon!^^

BBcakes
05-29-2009, 01:01 PM
Hi everyone! :) I have some musical background (piano/cello/violin), but it's been years since I've played any instrument. I'm totally new to the world of ukuleles and so glad I found this site! I love the sound and am currently looking into purchasing one and either taking lessons or teaching myself through you tube, etc.

Been doing my research and there are so many ukes to choose from...but to start, I think I've narrowed it down to 4 different sopranos:

*Lanikai LU-21
*Kala KA-S, from MGM
*Kamoa Mahogany Soprano (maybe pineapple), from UU
and maybe if I feel the need to splurge a little..
*Ohana SK-35G, from MGM

Saw some nice Mainland ukes as well, but since this will be my first one, I'm trying to keep it between $60 - $160. I also plan to have Aquila strings on whatever I buy, and I"ve read that MGM upgrades before shipping out (which is great!). I'm pretty sure any of the ukuleles mentioned are fine to start off with, but if anyone has any suggestions on which one I should lean towards, it would help me out tremendously!!:anyone:

Anyways, I'm extremely excited and can't wait to start jammin!:music:

KC8AFW
05-29-2009, 02:58 PM
Welcome BBcakes!!

I'm new here too. I have the Lanikai LU-21 soprano (got it from Music123 for 49 bucks with free shipping...had to add strings to get the free shipping though). It came with Aquila strings on it. I'm very happy with it. I think any one that you listed would be a good choice.

I will warn you, however, that UAS (Ukulele Acquition Syndrome) sets in pretty quickly once you strum your first chord. I've only had mine for a little over a week and I'm already obsessing over the Mainland Ukes (I may end up buying one before the month's over).

-KP

MangoMon
05-29-2009, 04:36 PM
Hello from southwest Florida. I played the drums all my life without any interest in string instruments. A few weeks ago I picked up a uke and something very strange happened. I couldn't put it down. Then I started buying more ukes (My Mainland concert arrived yesterday). What's happening to me? This is too much fun and a little scarey. lol

Name:Mike

seeso
05-29-2009, 10:25 PM
Been doing my research and there are so many ukes to choose from...but to start, I think I've narrowed it down to 4 different sopranos:

*Lanikai LU-21
*Kala KA-S, from MGM
*Kamoa Mahogany Soprano (maybe pineapple), from UU
and maybe if I feel the need to splurge a little..
*Ohana SK-35G, from MGM

Welcome to UU, BBcakes! :)

All those brands you mentioned are well respected. You should feel confident choosing any of them.

HoboUke
05-29-2009, 11:20 PM
Greetings All.
I'm Suitcase Sam, Family Entertainer & Ukulele Enthusiast from southern Indiana. I tell everyone I'm in southern INDIANA just across the OHIO river from Louisville, KENTUCKY. That usually confuses 'em real good. I've been playing Uke since 2005 after playing the guitar for 30+ years and I'm a big fan of Jug Band Music and that style of playing. Most everything I play is accompanied by the Kazoo.

I'm also a Kentuckiana Ukes member. I see a few folks on here I know and I look forward to making new friends here.
And if you're ever in the area, be sure and give me a shout. Always looking to meet and jam with other Ukers out there.

~Sam

lolsara
05-30-2009, 02:49 AM
Good. Uke players will keep you out of trouble in college.:D Welcome Sara! A concert uke, eh? What's the brand?

It is the concert classic from Empire Music. Only 50 bucks but the sound isn't that bad. I'm thinking about buying Worth, Aquila, D'Addario, etc... and just trying the strings out on it to find the best.

MrsMeyerMusic
05-30-2009, 04:11 AM
I joined UU in December to advertise the ukulele group my husband and I started (Kentuckiana Ukes). I kinda forgot about it until a couple of weeks ago when I started lurking on the threads about the World Ukulele Congress. I think it's becoming an addiction now....even stronger than facebook!:p

I am an elementary music teacher. I fell in love with the uke on my honeymoon to Maui in 2003. When we got home, I did some research on the internet and found that there was a ukulele group in Indiana called the Key Strummers. Being a music education major in college at the time, this really inspired me to teach ukulele in the classroom! I have just finished my 4th year of teaching and I have had ukuleles in my classroom for the past two years. I am still a long shot from having a performing group like the Strummers, but it is a goal of mine.

My husband (also a music teacher and ukulele player) and I started the Kentuckiana Ukes in hopes that we would find fellow ukulele players in our area. We've met some awesome people, including UKISOCIETY and HoboUke. If you live in the Kentuckiana area, we want to meet you! PM me about our meetings...

noah_clinnson
05-30-2009, 08:03 AM
Hello, I'm Colin.

I hail from Archbold OH but I'm usually in Ypsilanti MI on the campus of Eastern Michigan. I have never played an instrument until this past Christmas when I received a Makala Mk-T it's a tenor with the low g string and it's been swell going after the first month, i'm pretty new to the whole music playing but it's been fun.

See ya'll

UK Dave
05-31-2009, 04:43 AM
Hi I'm Dave

I'm a British Ex-pat living in Missouri (aka misery seeing the summer is now upon us). I've been a lurker for a fair while and have finaly decided its time to come out of the closet with my Uke obsession. I used to be a Northumbrian small pipe player but an injury left me with real limited use of my little finger so I figured I'd switch to something that was a ton of fun and not so frustrating.

Truthfully I'm bloody terrible on the Uke... going from bellows to strings is pretty damn weird but hey, my abysmal renditions of childhood tunes I never sang still make me smile which is what its all about, right?

Confession time; in the last 3 months I've bought 3 Ukes (one under the guise of being for my girlfriend) and don't see it stopping any time soon!

Anyway, that's enough of me rambling for now,
Cheers n beers,
Dave

pigwig
05-31-2009, 12:58 PM
Hi. I'm Jeanie. I'm from Virginia. I picked up a uke because I gave up on the guitar. My hands are small and my thumbs are short and fat and they just aren't conducive to learning guitar. Uke fits much better. I've been playing for a year, and I think I'm doing okay.

I played flute for years as a kid, and actually studied to become a music teacher in college, but that year of college taught me I don't like kids or teaching and my fingers are kind of dumb. I graduated four years later doing something else, and realized I missed music a lot, so I turned to string instruments.

I accidentally came across UU and joined because I want to improve. I'm having a lot of fun with the uke and this site. I'm playing a Lanikai LU-21, which is decent. Nice to meet everybody.

whetu
05-31-2009, 01:33 PM
Kia Ora, I'm Rawiri. 27/M/New Zealand :)

I've always had a soft spot for the uke ever since I played with a cheap plastic one as a child. I played Sax, guitar and drums in high school (and a thankfully short run of the recorder at grade school!). I liked the Sax the most, but it was too expensive for a younger me.

The ukulele was in the back of my mind though, I liked that it's an inclusive and portable instrument - important in NZ as we're a beach going people. On top of that, with 4 strings and a limited octave range, I appreciated that there would be a challenge in getting the most out of it. And that was before I saw Ukulele Weeps (and anything I've seen since by Jake, James, Aldrine, Seeso, The Re-Entrants etc etc)

So I toyed with ukes for the last decade, but I've only been learning seriously this year. Currently I own a couple of Makala dolphin bridge sopranos - they're my throw around ukes that I use to experiment with different tunings etc, and I have an Oscar Schmidt OU2-E concert w/ pickup. I'm looking at selling that and upgrading to something better. Just a mild case of UAS

So that's me, keen to meet up with any other kiwi ukers :)

DSilva
05-31-2009, 03:57 PM
Hi everyone, I'm David, I just joined UU and am complete ukulele newbie :)

I've played the violin for around 5 years, and began learning guitar at X-mas and have really progressed a ton from practicing for hours every day.

Anyway, Im no stranger to stringed instruments and decided I want to get a ukulele! Im almost positive I want a tenor uke(any advice on that is welcomed) and I want one I wont have to replace for a good 4 years or so during college. My price range is around $200, and I found this Koa Pili Koko is that range
http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-NEW-uke-KOA-PILI-KOKO-ukulele-Tenor-Solid-wood_W0QQitemZ260419192780QQcmdZViewItemQQssPageNa meZRSS:B:SRCH:US:101
but I cant find any reviews really on it. It looks great, but I dont know much about what makes a good uke. Any advice is appreciated, and glad to join the forum!

gp-ak
05-31-2009, 04:51 PM
Welcome!

Very respectable ukulele to start on too. All solid wood tenor for a nice price.

Kanaka916
05-31-2009, 05:55 PM

I've played the violin for around 5 years, and began learning guitar at X-mas and have really progressed a ton from practicing for hours every day.

Anyway, Im no stranger to stringed instruments and decided I want to get a ukulele! Im almost positive I want a tenor uke(any advice on that is welcomed) and I want one I wont have to replace for a good 4 years or so during college. My price range is around $200, and I found this Koa Pili Koko is that range
http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-NEW-uke-KOA-PILI-KOKO-ukulele-Tenor-Solid-wood_W0QQitemZ260419192780QQcmdZViewItemQQssPageNa meZRSS:B:SRCH:US:101
but I cant find any reviews really on it. It looks great, but I dont know much about what makes a good uke. Any advice is appreciated, and glad to join the forum!
Here's one you can read . . . http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showpost.php?p=40703&postcount=9

DSilva
05-31-2009, 06:27 PM
Thanks kanaka916! I found that whole thread and decided Ill get the KPK tenor uke.
I dont know if I can post this still in this thread, if not, sorry!
But could someone please examine the ebay auction http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-NEW-uke-KOA-PILI-KOKO-ukulele-Tenor-Solid-wood_W0QQitemZ260419192780QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item3ca23187cc&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72:1205|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|2 93:1|294:50

Im having some serious doubts...guess Im just not too trusting of the internet sometimes :confused:. The ebay seller has only bought and sold Koa pili koka ukuleles in their history, and a large amount at that. That makes me think of fakes! and I really dont want to get screwed over with my first uke...I read somewhere that Musicguymic is the only provider of KPK ukes..but this isnt his ebay account selling them. Sorry for all the questions...I just want to make sure I get my uke and not get ripped off. Thanks!

gp-ak
05-31-2009, 06:42 PM
There are dealers other than MGM, and nothing about it looks fake to me, I wouldn't worry about it.

aaronimoe
05-31-2009, 07:22 PM
hello from texas!

so im in the market for a ukulele as well and have been looking at the fleas. are their any other recommendations that are with in that price range?

seeso
05-31-2009, 08:31 PM
hello from texas!

so im in the market for a ukulele as well and have been looking at the fleas. are their any other recommendations that are with in that price range?

Welcome! Fleas are great. I'm sure you'll be pleased with one.

There are others in that price range that are also good beginner ukes. Take a look at Mainland, Ohana, Lanikai and Kala.

Kanaka916
06-01-2009, 04:30 AM
Thanks kanaka916! I found that whole thread and decided Ill get the KPK tenor uke.
But could someone please examine the ebay auction http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-NEW-uke-KOA-PILI-KOKO-ukulele-Tenor-Solid-wood_W0QQitemZ260419192780QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item3ca23187cc&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72:1205|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|2 93:1|294:50

Im having some serious doubts...guess Im just not too trusting of the internet sometimes :confused:. The ebay seller has only bought and sold Koa pili koka ukuleles in their history, and a large amount at that. That makes me think of fakes! and I really dont want to get screwed over with my first uke...I read somewhere that Musicguymic is the only provider of KPK ukes..but this isnt his ebay account selling them. Sorry for all the questions...I just want to make sure I get my uke and not get ripped off. Thanks!
This thread (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11512) will probably be of interest to you if you're still considering KPK.

Ahnko Honu
06-01-2009, 08:02 AM

Here's Rayan's review:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GYZGv0WXVQ

Ahnko Honu
06-01-2009, 08:12 AM

I bought my soprano KPK from this seller, he's legitimate from my experience.
If you prefer instead of a eBay seller a long established business then I'd recommend Bounty Music, been around for decades and great reputation:
http://www.ukes.com/pili-koko-ukuleles.html

Habanakane
06-01-2009, 08:17 AM
This is Shane from Cali....I've been playing the ukulele for 15 years now. I have a Sonny D, Koa, 8 string tenor. Aloha

Ahnko Honu
06-01-2009, 12:31 PM
This is Shane from Cali....I've been playing the ukulele for 15 years now. I have a Sonny D, Koa, 8 string tenor. Aloha

Are you a Cubano?

boogernissan
06-01-2009, 11:51 PM
im Brad
I live in western australia

i bought a uke and have yet to start learning how to play it,i will be inspired with this forum and of course all the youtube vids,

seeso is the one that inspire dme the most and i have watched heaps of videos related to ukes now

seeso
06-02-2009, 07:38 AM
im Brad

i bought a uke and have yet to start learning how to play it,i will be inspired with this forum and of course all the youtube vids,

seeso is the one that inspire dme the most and i have watched heaps of videos related to ukes now

Hey, man! Welcome!

Bratset
06-02-2009, 07:41 AM
im Brad

Welcome to Ukulele Underground!
Australia is a great country! Loved beeing there, wanna go back! :shaka:

hoosierhiver
06-02-2009, 07:44 AM
im Brad

WA Wow! That's about as far out there as a person can get. I once hitched all the way around HWY1. Even saw a UFO in WA.

Balsa Dust
06-02-2009, 08:45 AM
Hello everyone, very much a beginner here. I just got my Makala from MGM yesterday, and my fingers are killing me. :music:

Bratset
06-02-2009, 08:46 AM
and my fingers are killing me. :music:

So were mine in the beginning :music:
Uke on!

surfa_boi24
06-02-2009, 04:30 PM
Hello, I'm AJ from Guam. I am currently stationed in Korea. I have been playing the Uke now for about a good year now. I have a Kamaka concert and an Ovation Tenor. I have been teaching myself thanks to Ukulele Underground and all those other good websites out there. I am really trying to take my uke playing to a whole new level. I would really appreciate any advice and tips out there from any of the awesome uke players on this site. Thanks

Here I am on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/user/surfaboi24

aaronimoe
06-02-2009, 07:27 PM
Welcome! Fleas are great. I'm sure you'll be pleased with one.

There are others in that price range that are also good beginner ukes. Take a look at Mainland, Ohana, Lanikai and Kala.

thanks! the Lanikais seem to be fine for me. what about size? should i get a concert or soprano? this is going to be my only uke and im mainly just wanting to learn a couple covers and take it to friends houses.

seeso, what kind of uke do you use in your cover videos?

Kanaka916
06-02-2009, 07:30 PM
E Komo Mai! Where in Korea? I was stationed at Osan with the Black Cats and was with the program for a good length of time.

http://www.wilddamntexan.com/kids/u2pilot.jpg

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/images/AIR_U-2_Dusk_Silhouette_lg.jpg

ukulele2544
06-02-2009, 07:35 PM
User name: ukulele2544
And I've been playing the ukulele for about 1 year

grownupboy
06-03-2009, 06:00 AM
hey all...

new member from toronto canada! been playing uke for a couple years...

k

seeso
06-03-2009, 06:45 AM
thanks! the Lanikais seem to be fine for me. what about size? should i get a concert or soprano? this is going to be my only uke and im mainly just wanting to learn a couple covers and take it to friends houses.

seeso, what kind of uke do you use in your cover videos?

I think you should get a concert. It's a happy medium. A good size to help figure out whether you want to go bigger or smaller with your next one. And you are going to get another uke, I don't believe that "this is going to be my only uke" nonsense. :p

I use a few different ukes in my cover videos. The early ones I'm using a concert Lanikai LU21C. The first video made with my tenor Lanikai LU21 TE is "Fire and Rain (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it8iB8JoADs)."

I think the first video I made with my tenor cedar Kala is "Tired and Hungry and Poor. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqP2wpoEgGA)" You'll notice that one by the lighter color.

I use a tenor Fluke in a couple of videos. "Hurricane Annie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-eaDgUAUU8)" is one of them.

Kyle787
06-03-2009, 10:37 AM
hey there

User name: kyle787
I've been playing for almost a year now. I'm in love with the uke.

Toone
06-04-2009, 07:16 AM
User name: Toone
I've been playing ukulele for almost 3 year now and it becomes a real passion for me. :)

cpatch
06-04-2009, 08:22 AM
Welcome Antoine, Kyle, K, and James!

supergokou
06-04-2009, 04:26 PM
Hi Ukulele Underground,

I'm Rommel (supergokou: got the anime reference?). I've had a Mahalo uke since my honeymoon back in Kona from 2000. I learned one song, Faith by George Michael, then I put it away for until September 2008. It was then that I became a YouTube fanatic.

The person that got me back into the uke was Jake Shimabakuro and his now infamous video, While My Guitar Gently Weeps. I never knew what was possible until then. Soon after him I discovered the likes of Aldrine, Julian Nunes, James Hill, etc.

I just got a Kala Tenor last week and I just joined the Berkeley Ukulele Club at Mike DeSliva's place.

I love playing it. My family and friends look at me weird when I mention it, but I as well as the rest of the underground know just how cool it is to play. I even entered the Reggae contest (that was a big deal for me:D).

I'm from the San Francisco East Bay, work in South SF, and would love to play and learn from other people.

Rommel:shaka:

myluckypenny
06-05-2009, 12:57 AM
Name: Sharon
How long have you been playing ukulele: umm... I've owned mine since '06, touched it maybe less than 10 times within the past three years until now...

I bought a tenor uke to make up for the fact that Jake Shimabukuro and I will probably never meet or make babies together... haha...

Thinking it'd be easier to master than my guitar, I bought two - gave the other to friends to learn... and sadly, they've mastered it way before I did due to lack of time and practice. I'm here to show those guys what's up by sitting down this summer and learning my happy ass a few songs.

Thanks for making the site, it's been UBER helpful, and a much better resource than some of the youtube tutorials out there. =D

seeso
06-05-2009, 01:46 AM
Hi Ukulele Underground,

I'm Rommel (supergokou: got the anime reference?).

No I don't! :( But welcome to UU, Rommel! :)

I bought a tenor uke to make up for the fact that Jake Shimabukuro and I will probably never meet or make babies together... haha...

LOL! :D It looks like you'll fit right in here, Sharon. Welcome!

built
06-05-2009, 03:13 AM
hi all,
i am jimmy from malaysia. no uke yet; but been writing to
MGM.

been looking at koa pili koko concert and ohana ck-50g.
any good suggestions or is the other concert uke i should
consider?

thanks.

MikeLXXXVIII
06-05-2009, 06:43 AM
Name: Mikael
How long have you been playing ukulele: 3 - 4 years but had my up and downs with it :P
But will upgrade soon with a lacewood tenor, can't wait! and maybe take the ukulele more serious...

Andybeans
06-05-2009, 07:36 AM
Hi, my name is Andy. I live in Redding, CA and I've been playing uke for about 8 months now. i have a few chords down, and a few songs, but other than that, i'm lost as to where to go. hopefully i can learn from the seasoned veterans, and help the others while i'm here lol.

_Casper_
06-05-2009, 11:05 AM
Hello everybody :D

Im casper from the uk

I've been trying to play the ukulele for about 6 months now with no previous musical background, ive got the hang of a few chords and i'm currently trying to play Mad world by tears for fears http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kuncH0KLdM just about getting the hang of it now. Im especially excited this weekend because on sunday i'm going to see the ukulele orchestra of great britain http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfK-UzQ48JE :D:D If you havent heard of them you should check them out, they do some good covers. Anyway just wanted to say a quick hello to all

oh yeah Seeso.... You the man :cool:. I've been subscribed to you for a little while on youtube and I thought your cover of I shot the sheriff was Fantastic!

Peace

JIKvig
06-05-2009, 11:48 AM
So, my name is Jørn Idar, I´m currently living in Orlando, Florida.
I first thought that ukulele was a kids toy, now I have so much respect for all the amazing ukulele players out there!!!
I got my ukulele 6 months ago from http://meleukulele.com/, and I just love that little thing!
Keep on uking!

Bratset
06-05-2009, 12:43 PM
So, my name is Jørn Idar, I´m currently living in Orlando, Florida.
I first thought that ukulele was a kids toy, now I have so much respect for all the amazing ukulele players out there!!!
I got my ukulele 6 months ago from http://meleukulele.com/, and I just love that little thing!
Keep on uking!

Welcome!
So cool with more Norwegians here!

beckyb
06-05-2009, 02:25 PM
hi, i'm becky. i've never played the ukulele before. i youtube'd the song underdog by spoon and came across julia nunes playing it on ukulele....i found my new calling in life. lol. i ordered one on ebay and it should arrive any day. i can't wait!

Spooner
06-05-2009, 02:28 PM
hi, i'm becky. i've never played the ukulele before. i youtube'd the song underdog by spoon and came across julia nunes playing it on ukulele....i found my new calling in life. lol. i ordered one on ebay and it should arrive any day. i can't wait!

You did what by me? :p

Welcome to the underground Becky!!! :shaka:

danged
06-05-2009, 07:13 PM
Just joined the UU, name is Ed, been playing the uke for a looooong time, and playing seriously for the past 4 years. Originally from Maui, now living in SF, Glad to be on the UU:shaka:

bilbord99
06-06-2009, 07:48 PM
Name: bilbord99
How long have you been playing ukulele: about 3 years now.

I own a fluke, and a Gretsch that my father brought back from Hawaii in WW2. It's a wall hanger. I look foreward to meeting other uke players.

Spooner
06-06-2009, 08:01 PM
Welcome danged!

Welcome bilbord!

UkeKraut
06-07-2009, 04:39 AM
Hi there!

My name is Daniel and I am a 23 year old guy who lives in Munich (Germany). Music is my biggest passion and I am addicted to it for the last ~13 years. It has always been a dream of mine to play at least 5 different instruments (Guitar, Ukulele, Harp (the little one) , Bagpipes and Drums) and to speak several languages like English, Spanish, French, Russian and one or more asian languages like Korean or Chinese.

I am on a ... good ... way concerning this instrument thing even though I got stuck to the ukulele and the guitar. Concerning the language thing ... well ... I do speak German, English and French so there`s still a long way ahead of me :)

It is such a f*cking cool imagination to be able to communicate (in different ways) with people from all over the world and to understand every song which has ever been written.

Well .... nevertheless I love the Ukulele ( I own a Lanikai CK-C ). It is amazing that it allows you to play that many different songs. You are not bound to one style of music. Classical Music, Folk, Rock, Pop ... everything is possible.

At the momet I am looking for other musicians to form a group and to make music but it`s not that easy to convice others of the ukulele :)

MikeLXXXVIII
06-07-2009, 10:42 AM
Welcome!

Yeah I agree :D and have a norwegian uke jam!

Ahnko Honu
06-07-2009, 11:15 AM
Welcome!

Curiosity, please pardon my ignorance but how do you tell just by looking at the name whether it's Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, or Icelandic? Mahalo!

brinjal
06-07-2009, 12:27 PM
Hmm don't think I've posted here yet.

Name: Sam
How long have I played ukulele?: About 6 months now

I'll try and join all you corktown jammers this summer, because I really want to start performing in public rather than quietly in my room.
I just searched "toronto" in the forums and found out I missed a workshop by James Hill by a few months, and a performance by the user Ambrose by a week... I suck.

Bratset
06-08-2009, 12:38 PM
Yeah I agree :D and have a norwegian uke jam!

Yeah, would be cool.
Where abouts in Norway do you live?

Curiosity, please pardon my ignorance but how do you tell just by looking at the name whether it's Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, or Icelandic? Mahalo!

Well, I had talked a bit to JIKvig through wall posts first :P
But his name is a pretty Norwegian name, and I don't think I have ever heard of a sweed with it. It could maybe be Danish but it's more common in Norway. And Icelandic names differ more from the three other countrys you mentioned.
The Icelandic language by example is pretty simmilar to what we spoke in Norway middleage

headonz
06-08-2009, 01:56 PM
Hi , I'm a brand nu nuubie, never owned a uke but about to buy my first.

been pickin a banjo for 4 yrs but bike accident messed up my thumb action :eek:

see u all a round

headonz

ImSuperZero
06-08-2009, 03:24 PM
Hey Everybody My name is Kevin and I've been playing uke for over a year now.

I go to college/live on Long Island in New York. My major is Music Education. I'm a trombone player first, a ukulele player second, but they both mean the same to me.

Lets be friends!! :)

jeoyessir
06-08-2009, 04:46 PM
hey whats good everybody my name's jeo and im from san diego playin the uke for a year now and still a beginner still learning but gettin better.finally found a perfect instrument that goes when i sing aha.

sakulele
06-09-2009, 01:16 PM
hello everybody
Nice to join you all.

Playing ukulele since: 1 week

... and im loving it. I hardly get any sleep since i've had it. So much fun. Wonder why it took me so long to get one.
Used to play guitare (10 years)

I keep "re-according" (not sure how you say that in english) my ukulele though and it gets on my nerves. I was told its bec the chords are new. Hope they are going to "settle" very soon.

J Holla
06-09-2009, 07:33 PM
hellooo guys
im jesse
i live in west palm beach Fl
its really late here whenever there is anything live on uu
ive been playing for about a year

check out my vids on youtube

looneyyouare
06-10-2009, 06:01 PM
Ho everyone!

My name is Cole and I've been playing ukulele since January. I've been making mad money playing on the streets of San Francisco but i'm pretty sure it's my voice everybody is paying for. I just started attending the Berkeley Ukulele Club and it's AWESOME!!!!

Cheers,
Cole

mindofsummer
06-11-2009, 05:14 AM
Aloha! My name is Mike. I am in Providence, Rhode Island, and I've been playing for a little over a year now. Hope to get to know you all a lot better.

StanDaManTX
06-11-2009, 06:52 AM
How yall doin? They call ma Stan. I live in Texas and I bought my first Uke about a year ago when I was on a trip to Maui. Its a Hula Ukes Concert series in solid Mahogony. I feel very fortunate to have foound my Uke for it has brought me and my family great pleasure over the past year. Im still learning and I look forward to being glued to my computer screen for hours soaking up the vast Ukulele knowledge this site has to offer. mahalo!

cocohonk
06-11-2009, 01:12 PM
Hi. I probably should introduce myself.

I'm coco.
I'm a female.
I'm from HK.
I wish I was young, but I'm not. But, I'm not old old either.

I've been playing for about 15 months now on the only uke (13$!) I could find in HK at the time. So, I'm very excited about my first real uke I'm about to get at a new store here that does sell real uke brands.

I played the piano for a long while when I was young, and dabbled a few years on the oboe as well later during high school. So, while I can read music all right and understand music theory (or what I remember of it!), strings instruments are a completely new thing to me, and I have to say I'm still pretty mystified (i.e. crap) on strumming and chunking and fingering stuff. I only wished I picked up a uke or a guitar when I was younger, but better late than never, right?

What I do know is that I really love playing with it and have a great time with it, even though I sound quite terrible.

Nice to meet y'all!

stratsrul
06-11-2009, 03:13 PM
Sup everyone.
I'm Brandon, I live in Houston TX. I've been playing uke for a while now and also play guitar and drums.

trizzle333
06-11-2009, 04:29 PM
Hey everybody! I've been looking around on this site for a little while now, and figured if I wanna get more involved I should probably introduce myself. My name is Tyler, and I'm from Kentucky. I got my ukulele last Christmas, and I haven't put it down yet. It's great to get to know all of you!

boyfrumdaisland808
06-12-2009, 06:12 AM
howzit!:shaka:
im Karl
born in hawaii
currently living in Southern Cali (Anaheim)
been playing since i was born!(i wish)
jk.. been playing since Jan. of '09
got my concert lanikai LU-21 series
for christmas from my mom
and got at least 10 songs down!:D

Kanaka916
06-12-2009, 07:52 AM
Hey guys/gals, E Komo Mai. I'm sure all of you will agree this is one of the best forums for the 'Ukulele. There are a lot of knowledgeable and experienced players here and hopefully you can pass on what you know. There are a lot of different subject forums here and a number of the common questions have probably been answered and can be found using the "Search" feature in the tool bar. Please don't be afraid to ask if you're not quite satisfied or unclear of the answer. Someone will post an answer. Again, welcome to UU . . . Uke on!

nrvuker
06-12-2009, 04:25 PM
Hey Folks:

My name is Dale and I live Virginia's New River Valley.

New to UU and pretty new to uke. Play clawhammer banjo and last yr got an old Stewart banjo uke. Few months ago I got a Makai concert uke as I love the uke sound. Now considering jumping all the way in with a Loprinzi B (concert) or maybe new Collings UC-1. Comments welcome about that.

Looks like UU has lots of info to check out and good folks to hang with.

Dale

Go Pack!
06-13-2009, 02:09 AM
Hello everyone!
I've been playing guitar and harmonica for over thirty years and I delve into other instruments occasionally.I'm also into home recording and almost anything music related.

I just ordered my first uke last night,a Pono mango concert pineapple and I hope it arrives in time for Father's day.

I've seen Ukes at music stores and played around with them,but recently I stumbled upon a Julia Nunes video,then some London Ukulele Orchestra and one thing led to another and now I'm here posting.I'm surprised at the amount of enthusiasm for the instrument and it certainly seems to be a lot of fun,I'm really getting stoked and I can't wait for the brown truck to roll up to my door.

Go Pack!

bnicholas26
06-13-2009, 05:17 PM
Name : Brett Nicholas (i'm on facebook)
About Me : Played ukulele for past 3 years (everyday for past 6 months). I've also played french horn and trumpet for the past 20 years.

ninjastar
06-13-2009, 09:09 PM
Hi I think I introduced myself but dont remeber well here i go.

Name: James Cadaoas
School: Carson High 09
Area: Carson,CA
Job: In the military
Years Playing:3yrs

Jim X-S
06-14-2009, 05:17 AM
Finally getting around to introducing myself. My name is Jim. I'm older ..... Located in the Bloomington, IN area, although born and breed in Chicago. My life is managed by 5 dogs, 3 cats, my wife. Have no kids but my wife has one - me:rolleyes:. Ran across a video of Jake playing "Ukulele Weeps." Very impressed with what could be done with an instrument I always thought was a toy. Decided to take it up for additional mental exercise. Ordered a Oscar Schmidt ukulele and received it about 3 weeks ago. Started lurking on the forum about 2 weeks ago. Was at the Ukulele World Congress last Friday. Amazed at the talent. Kicked myself for not being able to make it back on Saturday.

smithpaul60
06-14-2009, 02:22 PM
Hi I'm Paul
I live in South Carolina.
I have played Guitar for about 10 years now, also play the trombone, harmonica, tin whistle, and now the ukulele. Got it for fathers day.

marvtobi
06-15-2009, 06:45 AM
:) Hello everyone! I am Mario from Germany.
I recently picked up a ukulele, been a long time guitar player (yah i know :eek: )
and am loving the Uke. I am slowly learning to play a few songs and torture my neighbours with singing along :D When i dont do that i am a student for digital media.

dparrothead1
06-16-2009, 12:27 AM
Found this site while I was researching my first ukulele.

I am not new to fretted instruments. Purchased my first guitar in 1962 from Sears (a classical made by Harmony, wish I still had it). Got my 2nd in 1967, a 12 string Epiphone which I have. My 3rd is a 6 string Ephipone that I purchased new in 1973 and still have.

I still haven't made my mind up as to which one to purchase but I am leaning toward the Kala.

Right now I have my son-in-laws, Pono tenor and I have to say that it is a blast to play. I have fallen in love with music all over again!!!!! My grandkids are already wanting their own uke.

Just wanted to say hello and I hope to be around a while......

dmassop
06-16-2009, 06:07 PM
Hey guys,

I've been around for a while, pretty quiet, but have learned so much from the postings here. For everyone new starting out, its gets easier surprisingly quickly. so keep on keepin on :)

Location is native to Des Moines Iowa but going to college in St. Louis

Experience: Limited, started right here as soon as I had my cousin pick me up a ukulele in hawaii. that was a year or two ago, cant remember, check above my name for join date if its really important to you :) I've played in a couple live preformances and had a blast.

Cheers,
Dave

FHS-72
06-16-2009, 07:22 PM
Aloha Dave from the 916.:shaka:

FrankBungle
06-17-2009, 04:06 AM
hi everyone,
i'm by now an ex guitar player who met his first ukulele a few months ago.
i'm from Rome, Italy.

glad to meet you all.

Renny
06-17-2009, 04:11 AM
Hi, I'm Renny. =)
I'm from Michigan and I'm brand spankin' new to the uke or any instrument for that matter. I've been enchanted by the uke for months now and so I thought, hey I could do that. We'll see. =D

Nice to meet ya'll.

SailorQwest
06-17-2009, 02:50 PM
Hi! I'm Rich
Yes I am Kim's(Sailqwest) husband. I don't do much on forums, but I thought I'd join up and stop just lurking. Who knows may make a few comments. Played Uke about 3 years. Still can't believe I can make music!! I'ts one of the best things to ever happen to me.

seeso
06-17-2009, 03:21 PM
Hi! I'm Rich
Yes I am Kim's(Sailqwest) husband. I don't do much on forums, but I thought I'd join up and stop just lurking. Who knows may make a few comments. Played Uke about 3 years. Still can't believe I can make music!! I'ts one of the best things to ever happen to me.

Whoa, it's Mrs. Sailqwest! Welcome. :D

SailorQwest
06-17-2009, 03:35 PM
Whoa, it's Mrs. Sailqwest! Welcome. :D

That's Mr. Sailqwest to you my freind... I enjoyed flip'n burgers with u last summer! Kim and I loved it in Australia, need anyone to carry your Uke for ya?

seeso
06-17-2009, 03:48 PM
That's Mr. Sailqwest to you my freind... I enjoyed flip'n burgers with u last summer! Kim and I loved it in Australia, need anyone to carry your Uke for ya?

Yeah, that was a good time, indeed. Are you going to Bean Blossom again this year?

SailorQwest
06-17-2009, 03:53 PM
Yeah, that was a good time, indeed. Are you going to Bean Blossom again this year?

You betcha!! How about you?

seeso
06-17-2009, 04:03 PM
You betcha!! How about you?

Chances are good. I'll let you know.

kimchee
06-17-2009, 10:42 PM
My name is Kenny
I live in Elk Grove, CA
Just bought my first ukulele yesterday and look forward to learning how to play.

brokenangel6896
06-18-2009, 02:02 AM
Hey everyone!

My name is Rachel, I live in Fort wayne Indiana. Im just starting out with the Ukulele, I have always wanted to try to play it, I'm lovin it so far. I love everything that comes along with it and the small community of people involved, almost like a family. Well if you're around my area (or not) add me! Looking for more people to get together with and play.

Thanks!

Rachel :nana:

HoboUke
06-18-2009, 07:00 AM
Hey everyone!

My name is Rachel, I live in Fort wayne Indiana. Im just starting out with the Ukulele, I have always wanted to try to play it, I'm lovin it so far. I love everything that comes along with it and the small community of people involved, almost like a family. Well if you're around my area (or not) add me! Looking for more people to get together with and play.

Thanks!

Rachel :nana:

Yeah, let's hear it for more Indiana Ukers joining UU.
:smileybounce:

Yes, I've always said, there is something truly Magical with these li'l instruments in bringing new friends together from all around.

~Sam

06-18-2009, 07:05 AM
My name is Kenny
I live in Elk Grove, CA
Just bought my first ukulele yesterday and look forward to learning how to play.

lots of 916 homies on the board. you just missed their summer kick off event, but they meet out somewhere every friday. search for kanaka916 (moderator here so youwon't miss him) and fhs-72.

Kanaka916
06-18-2009, 07:16 AM
Yea brah, he was dea wit his family . . . I still waiting for some pickchas to post. Did you see the article on Live 'Ukulele (http://liveukulele.com/hawaiian-style-grill-summer-kickoff/)?

DarkBlaireau
06-18-2009, 10:53 AM
I'm Melvyn,
I just started the ukulele, I'm not very good at it xD and I like forums, that's why I came here. I live in Switzerland.

:smileybounce:

kimchee
06-18-2009, 02:31 PM
lots of 916 homies on the board. you just missed their summer kick off event, but they meet out somewhere every friday. search for kanaka916 (moderator here so youwon't miss him) and fhs-72.

Yeah, I was there. The family had a good time. That's when I finally decided to stop thinking about playing to actually going out and buying an Ukulele and start playing. HSG was rockin, love me some loco moco.

jadedsurrealism
06-18-2009, 04:25 PM
Hi everyone!

First off, I'm Misti and I live in Metro-Detroit, Michigan. My fascination with Hawaiian culture began when we moved to Oahu when I was younger. We moved back to Michigan, but I have a hula skirt and a lei hanging on the wall in the bedroom. :) A uke was a natural step....

Secondly, I want to thank everyone for their quick and informative input on my posts. I would be lost playing a uke from the dollar store without you folks! And the lessons, Uke Got Mail, everything on this site is just spectacular.

I've tried several instruments in the past on a self-study type basis, from guitar to piano... but after reading "ukulele theory for noobs", I actually get it... It was an epiphany. Duh... each fret goes down the musical alphabet (yeah thats how much of a noob I am!)... So much better than a friend handing me his guitar saying "This is an open G" like I'm supposed to know what that means!

Anyway, sorry for the novel, but thanks and I plan on sticking around for a long time.

~Misti

seeso
06-18-2009, 06:13 PM
Hi everyone!

First off, I'm Misti and I live in Metro-Detroit, Michigan. My fascination with Hawaiian culture began when we moved to Oahu when I was younger. We moved back to Michigan, but I have a hula skirt and a lei hanging on the wall in the bedroom. :) A uke was a natural step....

Secondly, I want to thank everyone for their quick and informative input on my posts. I would be lost playing a uke from the dollar store without you folks! And the lessons, Uke Got Mail, everything on this site is just spectacular.

I've tried several instruments in the past on a self-study type basis, from guitar to piano... but after reading "ukulele theory for noobs", I actually get it... It was an epiphany. Duh... each fret goes down the musical alphabet (yeah thats how much of a noob I am!)... So much better than a friend handing me his guitar saying "This is an open G" like I'm supposed to know what that means!

Anyway, sorry for the novel, but thanks and I plan on sticking around for a long time.

~Misti

Welcome to UU, Misti. Hope you stick around. :)