PDA

View Full Version : Introduce Yourself!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8

MRC1970
08-11-2009, 10:42 AM
Hey everyone,
I am new here and new to ukulele also. I have only been playing since February. I have played electric and classical guitar since 1985 on and off.
A woman at work heard that I play guitar and she brought me in an inexpensive uke to take home. I didn't think that I would like it...I was dead wrong! I love the uke, it is fun to play and I find that I play way more often than I ever did guitar.
I live in Albuquerque and have located a local club. I will be going this week for the first time.
Regards, Mark.

Ambidextrina
08-11-2009, 01:28 PM
Hello,

Ken Middleton said during the Paris Uke Fest in July 2009 how lovely you folks on this forum are. I believe every word he says.

I'm mostly playing concert size, not very well, but enough to have fun when singing and playing :)

Bises!

marvtobi
08-11-2009, 03:29 PM
Welcome Mark, Willkommen Ambidextrina (ich bin neugierig, woher kommt dein name :confused:) Nice to have you!

chanimalcrackers
08-11-2009, 09:03 PM
Name: David Chan
Uke Time: Started 2 years ago at a party when I received this ukulele for Christmas from my big brother.

J-Machine
08-12-2009, 06:54 AM
Name: James Marcellus
Location: Canada (though the weather would have you think otherwise.)

I've been playing the uke on and off for 2 years but in the past 2 months have really started to get serious with it.

psiheartuke
08-12-2009, 07:48 AM
Hi,
my name's Lauren and I've been playing ukulele for probably around 10 months or so. I play a pretty mediocre Hilo Soprano and I really want to get a decent uke (I'm leaning towards a tenor) but the stores around me have pretty bad selection and I don't like the idea of buying a ukulele online without being able to try it out. I really like uke and have started a blog about ukulele and life in general.

samlove
08-12-2009, 10:39 AM
My name is Sam Love Kemp and I am one half of Northeast Iowa's Premiere Female Ukulele Duo (or so we like to think): helvetica ukulele explosion!

I live in Decorah, IA where I met my bandmate, Erika. I've been playing ukulele for about 7 months and we started our duo shortly after I bought my first uke at the end of January 2009.

I've since upgraded from my starter soprano uke (a Mahalo U-50) to a Red Cedar Concert (from Mainland ukes) and slowly but surely improving my uke skills. I've been trolling around UU for awhile now and finally decided to get an account!

Happy ukulele playing!

Nonayourbeeswax
08-14-2009, 06:47 AM
G'day everybody. I'm Nona. I made this account a while back but never did anything with it, so I thought I better.

Once upon a time, my family bought my mother a ukulele for her birthday. So then about a year ago, I picked up the uke and became enamored with it. Soon the hobby became an addiction, and likewise, the addiction became a passion. So I don't actually own my own uke, but I still wish to learn more, become better, and also decide which ukulele I should buy when I can afford one.

Tucunaré
08-14-2009, 06:53 AM
Hi there,

A few months ago my girlfriend gave me a pineapple Mahalo for a laugh. Little did she know that she created a monster. I simply love it. I recently upgraded to a Tanglewood Concert uke which I really like. Actually sounds like an instrument.
Always dreamed of learning the banjo, but the uke did it for me.
Trying to learn clawhammer style and can see a long road ahead.
;)

trips222
08-14-2009, 08:24 AM
Hi, I've been lurking for a little bit and have a gift being shipped to me. It is an Oscar Schmidt OU5 Concert. I played a lot of guitar and bass in my younger years but put them away a few years ago. With my almost 9 month old baby showing interest in music I think it is time to get back into something fun. Looking forward to playing and learning more from here!

Bostonaholic
08-14-2009, 10:01 AM
Just picked up my first uke today. I'm excited to get started playing. I've been playing the drums for over 12 years and guitar and bass for 5 years. I discovered Jake Shimabukuro a few years ago and I was inspired. I had to have his "Gently Weeps" album (as I'm sure everyone here does). I'm surprised it took me this long to get a uke!

I look forward to learning a lot in these forums.

Happy strumming!

Mog
08-15-2009, 02:49 AM
Hey up, I used to play the violin but after living in London for six years Ive realised Im never going to be able to aford to live anywhere without paper thin walls, therefore I needed a quieter instrument. I bought a uke for £10 and now im addicted.....
:cheers:

Susie A
08-15-2009, 03:40 AM
Stopping by to introduce myself.

I am Susie, live in the Atlanta area and enjoy music ... any type.

I am preparing to embark on the ukulele adventure. I don't have an instrument yet but that will be remedied in the near future. I have ordered a Honneybee from Mainland and can't wait to get my hands on her.

I have spent many hours reading these forums and checking out your YouTube videos and I must say I am impressed by your the knowledge and talent.

Looking forward to getting to know you and becoming part of the community.

Susie A

Citrus
08-15-2009, 04:08 AM
welcome everybody!
hey susie I'm around the atlanta area quite a bit if you'd like to play some weekend. also there's a couple things you might like to know about here
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17344
and here
http://www.fleamarketmusic.com/directory/state.asp?ID=11
I hope all you guys enjoy UU!

GlobalUke
08-16-2009, 07:09 AM
Hey everyone,

I've been reading and following the lessons for a few months and decided I should finally register myself.

My wife and I both bought ukuleles about 3 months ago and have been teaching ourselves. She's got a Kala mahogany soprano and I have a Kala mango concert. It is slow going, but we're getting better and having fun.

I work for the U.S. government and travel a lot so it is nice to have an instrument that is easy to transport. We spent the last few years in Ukraine, we're in DC at the moment, and head off to Nassau in the The Bahamas in a couple of weeks. We'll be there for probably two more years.

We look forward to meeting everyone!

Shawn

Queen Dee
08-16-2009, 07:21 AM
Hi folks -

My friend John insisted I join this forum...I picked up a Ukulele yesterday on an utter whim...although I've been a singer, I've never played an instrument and this seems like a fun little adventure...

I'm looking forward to figuring out "Don't Fear the Reaper" and "Genie in a Bottle"...right after I master "Row, Row, Row Your Boat"...

Looking forward to meeting everyone...

Hi John!

Queen Dee

Blrfl
08-16-2009, 02:09 PM
Hi all...

A few weeks ago, for whatever reason, I got the ukulele bug. Well, there is a reason. My wife is Hawaiian, and in the 19 years we've been together, I've become a big fan of the culture. The food and the music tied for what I like best. :cool: Last month we were in Seattle and ended up having a big jam session with some of her cousins, playing things out of the SUPA (http://www.seattleukulele.org) songbook -- on our guitars. The lone uke in the room went un-played. But it was enough to get me interested.

I've actually owned a uke for most of my life but never really did much with it. My father bought it for me 30-some-odd years ago. It has no identifying marks other than the word "Japan" stamped on the back of the headstock. The fretboard is molded plastic, complete with molded plastic frets, screwed onto a wooden neck and body. The neck joint has been re-glued at least once, the neck and body have some scratches and dings, about half of the back has pulled away from the sides and one of the tuning pegs has been replaced with one that doesn't match. So what it lacks in presentability it makes up for in character from years of sitting around my room or being on the top shelf of my closet. It plays pretty well for what it is, and it's been enough to get me started. I've been playing guitar and bass for about 20 years, and adding the uke has been remarkably easy. It's a fun little instrument to boot.

So the next order of business is a new instrument so I don't put any more wear on the aforementioned wreck. I've been looking at what's on the market, and I think I'm probably going to order a Mainland soprano this week.

--Mark

Susie A
08-16-2009, 02:47 PM
Hi folks

I'm looking forward to figuring out "Don't Fear the Reaper" and "Genie in a Bottle"...right after I master "Row, Row, Row Your Boat"...

Hi John!

Queen Dee

:p I had to laugh when I read this! I am working on Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.

Welcome fellow rookie .. can't wait to see your first video.

Susie

Henrique
08-16-2009, 03:12 PM
Hey everyone!
I'm from Brazil and ukuleles here are pretty rare! I had to import one, actually, because there's none around here. :P
I really enjoy the sound, style and the Hawaii culture!

I play since, uh... 3 days now, I think. But I already been playing guitar for 8 years, so was much easier to get used to my Uke! :)
I'm so happy to be able to play one and I hope I learn a lot here with you guys!

Mahalo! :D

bbycrts
08-16-2009, 04:20 PM
Hi folks -

My friend John insisted I join this forum...I picked up a Ukulele yesterday on an utter whim...although I've been a singer, I've never played an instrument and this seems like a fun little adventure...

Hi John!

Queen Dee

Of course my dear friend Queen Dee knows that my name is spelled Jon and she is going to be in huge huge trouble for this... ;)

Welcome to UU, the most fun and nicest forum on the web...

Queen Dee
08-16-2009, 07:45 PM
I'm a dork and got his name wrong...its been too long...

Trying to learn Island in the Stream...its slow going and I have to admit my tuning must be wicked off.

Am I the only one massively crushed out on the nice guy who posts the lessons? Not to be creepy...its just lovely to be introduced to this adventure by such a graciously welcoming presence...

Thanks!

Queen Dee

jdbuddha
08-16-2009, 10:37 PM
aloha everyone, my name is jon from Hawaii, on the island of Oahu. I have been on UU for about a month now, but didnt get the chance to formally introduce myself. I have been playing the ukulele off and on for about 3 years now, and thanks to UU i have found a new passion in playing music. I currently own an all koa Pono tenor ukulele and an all mango Tangi double puka tenor. Mahalo!:shaka: to everyone on UU for inputing so much valuable info for the world to share

olesneaker
08-17-2009, 05:12 AM
I'm from Bristol, VA now ( originally Roanoke, then Waynesboro...) and I really can't say I've been "playing" ukulele yet... I inherited mine from Captain Google, who was my first grandson. I have 2 sons, and 6 more grandkids. I've always loved music, played some with various instruments, mostly an Epiphone electric in the 70's. (CG's Dad has that one now).
Anyway, I'll be lurking, learning and listening - so no "old fart" comments, kids! :-)
And thanks to all the UU'ers for everything you do!
Mike

bbycrts
08-17-2009, 05:23 AM
I'm from Bristol, VA now ( originally Roanoke, then Waynesboro...) and I really can't say I've been "playing" ukulele yet... I inherited mine from Captain Google, who was my first grandson. I have 2 sons, and 6 more grandkids. I've always loved music, played some with various instruments, mostly an Epiphone electric in the 70's. (CG's Dad has that one now).
Anyway, I'll be lurking, learning and listening - so no "old fart" comments, kids! :-)
And thanks to all the UU'ers for everything you do!
Mike

It's great to have the "formal" intro, Mike! So here's the formal..."Welcome to UU!" I'm sure Vince is delighted you're here playing his uke!

mistasefo
08-17-2009, 04:42 PM
Talofa everyone.
My daughter has ukulele practise at school, so she's only been playing a few months, but it wasn't until I saw Aldrine playing 'Island in the sun' that I was hooked. Since then I'd been hogging her ukulele until she made me buy one..now three out of four of us has an uku, but we're working on the fourth. What was once a 'toy' is now treated with respect lol
Thank for the work you guys do. Muchly appreciated.

johnny500
08-17-2009, 05:00 PM
My name is Frederik. I'm a 21 years old and from Denmark. I've been playing piano for about a year but after seeing alot of ukulele videos on youtube one night i had to go buy a ukulele the next day.

So I bought an Oscar Schmidt OU2 about one week ago and I've been playing on it for several hours a day (so hard to put it away, you know what i mean?)

Happy to be here on this forum where everybody seems to be really kind and helpful!

Best regards
Frederik

BarryWhiteside
08-17-2009, 06:03 PM
Name: Barry
How long have you been playing ukulele: Four months

I'm 19 years of age and I'm hooked. That's about it!

sputnik1nz
08-18-2009, 12:04 AM
Kia Ora I'm Chris, age 24, from New Zealand.
been playing for a month. but most of it was when i randomly took a college uke home. just bought my first ukulele 2 weeks ago. Mahogany Kala concert. i love it. i'm carrying it everywhere wit me.

love ukulele underground, Aldrine has taught me everything i know so far!!!

payce

gordoma
08-18-2009, 12:18 AM
Name: Matt
How long have you been playing ukulele: Less than a week!

Hi All

I am a member of the World Community Grid (http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/) Forum, which is a large group of people using their spare CPU cycles to help make scientific advances to help humanity. Many of our projects involve trying to find more effective treatments and cures for medical conditions including Cancer, AIDS and Muscular Dystrophy. I saw a post in our "Help Cure Muscular Dystrophy" forum telling us about the sad loss of Vincent / Captain Google. I clicked on the link to the YouTube tribute and I was amazed...

Firstly, that an online community has such a close knit community and the amazing work and contributions that has gone into the tribute. I'm sorry to hear about your loss. It is clear that Vincent touched many hearts and lives, at Ukulele Underground and beyond.

Secondly, I was grabbed by the ukulele itself. Not having had much exposure to it outside of George Formby footage during the Second World War. After watching the tribute I searched youtube for other ukulele videos and was inspired by the sound and flexibility of the uke.

Within a day or so, I'd ordered myself a cheap Maholo on the Internet to get the feel for it and I love it! I've not got much if any musical experience. I did a bit on the electronic keyboard as a youngster, but didn't keep it up for long. So I had a basic understanding of chords. Within a couple of hours of it being delivered, I learned C, F and G7 and pretty much nailed Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, which is amazing for me and inspired me to keep going!

I'm learning more chords as well as strumming techniques and scales by watching Uke Minutes and I'm trying to practice as often as I can. If I can get up to a reasonable standard and still enjoy it then I'll ask my good lady wife to buy me a better quality Uke for Christmas.

It's good to become part of this community and I hope to learn a lot from everyone.

Matt

jpgordon
08-18-2009, 04:43 AM
Hello all! My name's Josh.

I've been playing guitar since I was 12 (and anti-Vietnam War protest songs were in my early repertoire, so you can do the math.) About three years ago, a friend of mine who sells antiques in Kernville, CA handed me a case with something in it and asked me to figure out what price to ask for it, since he didn't know anything about musical instruments. I said sure, I'll get around to it, and took the thing and put it aside for a bit. I'd fiddled a tiny bit with ukes, but never a good one or an in-tune one, so I wasn't that interested, figuring at best it was an old toy.

Then I looked a little closer at the instrument. Oh! It's a Martin. Hm, now I'm intrigued; at the very least, it might be worth a bit. So I hunted around the net for information about it, and concluded that it was a Martin 1-T tenor ukulele, and was worth about XXX. I still wasn't interested in playing it, but I do accumulate old stuff, so I bought it from him.

A few months later, we're having a jam session at my house. One of my friends notices the uke and asks to try it; she strums "Ukulele Lady" and I'm entranced, so I start playing it at the jam. It's a real pretty-sounding instrument, so I play it a bit more. Then I stumble upon a certain rendition of a certain George Harrison song on YouTube, and am gobsmacked. Holy cow, you can do THAT on a uke?

At that point, I started working seriously on playing it. More research, discovery of Aquila strings, better sound, holy cow. I also started realizing that most of the jazzy stuff I did on guitar was only using the top four strings. Hm. Oh, gosh, you can do blues on this thing. Hm.

I've barely played guitar since.

I developed a real case of Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome, especially after discovering that ukes are relatively inexpensive. Besides the Martin, I've got some fun collectors pieces (a Polk-A-Lay-Lee, a TV Pal, a Mastro banjo uke with riverboat images and blackface), and some playable instruments -- an electric Fluke and an electric Fender tenor, for playing amplified; Chinese knockoffs of Martins, stuff like that. Also, friends started giving me ukes. Nothing really worth mentioning.

My most recent one is a 1932-ish Martin Type 0 soprano. I'd mostly avoided sopranos, but this thing overcame all my objections; it sounds like heaven.

Next thing I want to get my hands on is a National Steel uke, to see if it sounds a whole lot better than the cheap Chinese knockoff I have.

I play pretty much anything. The band I sit in with regularly is kinda jam-grass, stuff ranging from Robert Johnson to Fleetwood Mac. I also have been working on stuff from John King's songbooks -- the notes I can manage to play sound good, at any rate. I've always worked from fake books, so I've been playing a lot of jazz (learning those minor seventh flat five chords, which work so well on uke). My three current "pick up the uke and play" tunes are The Third Man Theme, Satin Doll, and Magic Ukulele Waltz.

I'm always looking for interesting tab.

Glad to be here.

kiddfixit
08-18-2009, 01:09 PM
Hi. I've decided to better myself and the world and learn how to play a musical instrument. At first, I was somewhat wishy-washy in my decision. What instrument would I learn? How much of my free time would I spend learning how to play? Why don't I just play my Playstation instead? All good questions, I assure you.

Let's see...I have an electric bass guitar that I never really did anything with. Sure, I'd pick it up and mess around with a few songs, but I never really put a lot of effort into it. Besides, have you ever tried to learn to play bass without any other instruments? Needless to say, my bass is gathering dust in the corner of my garage.

Why an Uke? Well, I suppose the fact that my father in-law plays helps. What hurts is that he plays by ear, never had any formal training, and I secretly think he might resent me a little for marrying his daughter. (Not really. He's a good dude.) I've always liked ukuleles. I almost bought one when I went to Hawaii last year. At the time, I just couldn't pull the trigger. We spent so much on airfare and hotel, I couldn't justify the cost. I still regret that decision. At any rate, I got one for Father's Day and just signed up for ukulele lessons. I'm excited. I have 7 weeks of lessons to look forward to...We'll see what happens after that.

Also, I'm grateful for sites like this that can help out beginners like me. Picking up any new skill or hobby can be a challenge. It's nice to see forums that are able to help and encourage folks like me. Thanks!

Duddles
08-18-2009, 06:21 PM
Well for starters my name is Chris Dudley (or Duddles, Dudsy, Sudsy, whatever you want) and I'm from the wonderful (/sarcasm off) state of Missouri.

I first picked up a Mitchell MU-100 ukulele about two years ago from Guitar Center and only played it casually, never thinking I would actually learn how to use it. As of this last year, however, I have been using turning to my ukulele more and more as an outlet to my personal/social issues and have fallen in love with the instrument (not the MU-100 itself, kinda sounds like crap and has a weird vibrating sound, but ukuleles in general...) since.

Sometime in the early months of this year I found this website and started watching every single video I could find and my playing has improved drastically. I can actually follow somewhat along to the play-a-long videos that Aldrine makes and not feel terrible about my playing.

I have decided to make a big leap in my ukulele collection (of one ukulele, I plan on passing on the MU-100 to a guitar playing friend) by ordering a Pete Howlett Tenor Uklectic (already named "Mai'a" after my friend Hannah) which should be done very shortly! I can't wait for it and I won't be seen by anyone for weeks after I receive it.

LameLefty
08-19-2009, 08:25 AM
Hi there! My name is Herb. I live in a town located about 35 miles southeast of Nashville called Murfreesboro, Tennessee. I've been playing the guitar for about 9 years - jumped in with both feet at age 32 after a serious change of life direction. About six years ago my wife got interested in the uke so I bought her a Ko'Aloha mahogany-neck koa soprano. We both fell in love with the sound and the general FUN of playing the uke. I'm left-handed, so when I decided to add uke to my stringed-instrument fun, I purchased a Ko'Aloha soprano of my own (mine has a koa neck). I flipped it and re-strung it and it was love at first strum. Since then I've added a custom Glyph mezzo-soprano from luthier Dave Means (built left-handed) and this year I picked up a new Martin 3 Cherry, a rare factory-built left-handed model.

I go through periods now where it might be weeks or even more than a month when I don't touch a guitar, but it's a very rare day that goes by that I don't play one of my ukuleles. :)

Sigmund
08-19-2009, 04:01 PM
Hi all. In real life my name is Randy but I'm Sigmund on most of the forums I frequent. I'm not even really a newbie uke player yet, as I'm still awaiting my Makala soprano's arrival, but I have played a lot of stringed instruments for a lot of years. I thought it might be fun to add on another, so I ordered the uke. I guess I'll see if it sticks.

By the way, I do suffer from instrument acquisition syndrome (I hear there is a ukulele specific form) and I'm already planning my next ukulele purchase. So many instruments and so little money,

lovedcfc
08-19-2009, 07:13 PM
oh wow it took me a while to find this thread.

hi I'm Linda from NJ...started playing 2 months ago (?) on a beautiful Kala soprano uke.

To be honest, I decided to start ukulele as an "easier" alternative to playing guitar. But now I've learned to appreciate the uke as an individual instrument, not just a mini-guitar. Plus it's less common and less mainstream, I guess. ;] so you can surprise people when you say, "I play ukulele." hehe.

tehm0rk
08-19-2009, 08:50 PM
I'm Brett. I've been playing guitar for three years. I bought a ukulele about a year ago. I also own a mandolin. I love music. Everything about it. If you wanna talk hit me up. Aim or email. I might be a little slow on the email.

Norton
08-20-2009, 05:56 PM
Hey all!
I'm Dave, I go by Norton.
Recently turned 25 and my wife bought me a Uke for my birthday. My first musical instrument.
Just a Mitchell MU-70. SO much fun. Hooked for life!
I've been a car guy as far back as I can remember.
www.jalopyjournal.com is where I have spent most of my internet time until finding this place.
Glad to see some other Canucks on here.

JOEinSD
08-20-2009, 10:46 PM
Hey everyone!

The name's Joe (as if you couldn't guess from my username. Lol.)
I'm 22 and from San Diego.

I just picked up my first uke yesterday. It's a Kala KA-C. Chose this particular one because it's within my budget. YES, budget. Hah. Plus, I wasn't sure if playing the uke was something I'd like so I didn't want to spend a ton on my first one.

But after playing it for a few hours, I think I'm hooked! My fingers hurt pretty bad right now... I think a blister's forming at the tip of my left index. Haha. I've already learned 2 songs since I've picked up the uke. Of course, one of them is Jason Mraz's "I'm Yours" (Simplified version) and a version of "Stand By Me".

I've never played any type of musical instrument in my life, and before yesterday I had no musical knowledge whatsoever. I still don't know how to read chords for a song... And what baffles me the most at the moment is the strumming patterns for songs when looking at the chords because they never say how to strum. That's when I just go to youtube to check out how others are doing it. I'm slowly learning though, and know I have a lot more to learn.

Sorry for the long intro! Looking forward to getting more involved on here!

Vindelanda
08-21-2009, 06:29 PM
Hey there!
I just joined today.
I'm Vindelanda, but feel free to shorten my username to whatever you like. :)
I've been playing the ukulele obsessively for about 5 weeks, although I played the piano for 9 years prior to that.
Right now I have a poor-quality soprano as well as a good-quality concert that I bought a couple days ago.
I think the uke is awesome because it's unique, and has a really incredible sound. Plus it's easy and portable, if that doesn't make for a great instrument I don't know what does! :D
Sounds like a fun board with lots of info!

i love stitch
08-22-2009, 04:42 AM
I recommend University of Hawaii! Hawaii Pacific U a close second ;)
Are you naming your Jenny "Lilo"?

E komo mai! :shaka:

this is delayed...
but yea i'm naming my jenny Lilo...
& my future fluke is named walnut! lol:shaka:

OctoberRoad
08-23-2009, 12:03 PM
Hey there everybody,

My name is Antonia and 19 years old coming from Germany. I started guitar lessons when I was 10, quit at 14, picked up the guitar again 2 years later and self-thought myself and have played ever since.

I bought my Lanikai LU-21 C Ukulele about half a year ago. I decided to try it, as I love the sound of it and I'm a huge fan of Ingrid Michaelson's and Jason Mraz' music.
In the last pasts weeks I've played it a lot and started to tab out a few songs, which worked very well to my surprise. I'm also beginning to become more confident as to my voice...

So I want to leave you with what happened last Thursday:
One of my best friends and I went to Hamburg to see Greg Holden and Ian Axel, two upcoming singer-songwriter live. They left us completely speechless and in awe. Ian originally is a piano player, but sang one song on his Ukulele... I fell in love with it right away.

I want to share my own cover of it with you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U6T5iTY72Y

I hope to make some friends here and to be inspired by you guys.

Love,
Antonia

ukulelebailey
08-23-2009, 07:32 PM
hello! my name is Natalie and I'm from Australia and recently my husband bought me a Cole Clark ukulady 2 which I am slowly learning to play! It is a wonderful instrument and I am very lucky to have it!

It was lovely fiding this forum and it has helped me greatly with uke queries and playing tips and techniques, although I have not found many posts on Cole Clark ukuleles so if anyone has any questions I would be glad to help where I can.

cheers!

CheezeGrater
08-24-2009, 04:43 AM
My Name is Kenny, and I am 18.

I just picked up the ukulele days ago, and I'm hoping to be able to learn how to play to an extent where I can express myself through song :)

CountryMouse
08-24-2009, 09:42 AM
I'm Mousie, I live in Cincinnati, Ohio (USA), and I'm waiting for my Mahalo uke to arrive tomorrow. I didn't have much money, plus I'm not sure yet if this is what I want to be doing, so... :-)

I've played autoharp, Appalachian dulcimer, and a little bit of mandolin (ouch! double metal strings!) in the past. Also a little bit of electronic keyboards.

I can figure out sheet music, but not actually sight-read. The chord symbols above the musical notes are my friend. :-D

Anyway, I hope I'll be able to make chords, strum, *and* sing, all at the same time. :-D

CountryMouse

hoosierhiver
08-25-2009, 04:58 AM
Be sure you folks fill out your profiles and check out the "Who's who of UU contest" under the contest section for a chance to win free stuff.

Old Bird
08-25-2009, 07:50 AM
A brief intro here -

I'm an old bird living in the desert, running a small business and raising two sets of twins - boys 3 and girls almost 1. What free time I have (and there ain't much!) is spent mostly in the garage working on my 62 t-bird convertible or my 68 F250.

I've played guitar, piano and drums most of my life, but time to play music has faded in recent years. It's time to get back into it and I'm thinking the ukulele would be a great place to begin again. I've wanted one ever since a trip to Maui when I was in high school and the few times I've made it back since then. I just never got around to getting one until now.

I wish I had found this place before ordering my Applause soprano yesterday, but I'm sure that will be a decent piece to start on anyway. I'll worry about getting a nicer one later. :music:

I'm looking forward to being a part of this site, it looks like a great community with a lot of fantastic info.

ratty
08-25-2009, 08:00 AM
hello all :)

my name is simon from England.

i'm a beginner on the ukulele
i play bass and guitar and use a pick for both.
i'm using my fingers on the ukulele and enjoying it, all be it very challenging for me with new chords and style.

anyway hello all :shaka:

lovedcfc
08-25-2009, 03:06 PM
Be sure you folks fill out your profiles and check out the "Who's who of UU contest" under the contest section for a chance to win free stuff.

already done :D

ukeskywalker79
08-26-2009, 08:17 PM
Aloha everyone. My name is Paolo and I'm 29 years of age from Southern California. I've always wanted to play an instrument but always got into other hobbys...mainly outdoor activities. While in Hawaii for my Honeymoon a few weeks ago I noticed a few people playing this tiny little instrument. I was instantly hooked by the sound. I just had to have one. I went to one of the local ABC stores and bought a $10 uke thinking to myself "I'll just learn on this." Well as soon as I got back to the mainland I started doing some research and came across this forum (GREAT Community BTW). I knew if I was going to take this seriously I needed something more than a $10 novelty item. I bought my first real uke last week (Kala KA-ASMC) and I've been addicted. All I think about now is uke related stuff. I look forward to contributing to this great site and learning something new from each and every one of you. Mahalo!!!!!!

Ser-T-Fide
08-28-2009, 02:15 AM
Hello all!

My name is Matt, i'm all the way from Cape Town. i've been living just outside Phillie now for the past 3 years. I took up the uke about 3 months ago as my wife is 5 months pregnant and would love to play to our child. I am now addicted! Thanks for all the videos. i have no friends as of yet on UU, friends welcome!

Much love,

kingfish
08-29-2009, 05:49 AM
Name: Paul
How long have you been playing ukulele: I don't have one yet, but soon will. I have been inspired by all the talent here, and YOUTUBE. Other instruments I play are Blues Harp and some guitar.

UkuleleHill
08-29-2009, 06:56 AM
Nice to have you! You aren't too far away from Nic mrUKETUBER!

veep
08-29-2009, 07:22 AM
hi am Stephen from Lawton Ok . been playing for about a year .

BoarderDave
08-29-2009, 11:37 AM
Hey, Im Dave.. new to the forum.. new to the ukulele. :shaka:

Ive been playing an acoustic guitar (mostly 6 strings, occasionally 12 strings) for a couple years now. Always been interested in trying out a ukulele and finally am getting into one via a surf friend of mine (who also told me about this forum). :D

Looking forward to learning from you all and getting better here. Probably going to be picking up an ukulele sometime in the next week or two and starting to play.

jtate09
08-29-2009, 12:41 PM
Hey all!

My name is Jeff. I found out about you all by my marketing teacher Mr. Rooney. I think his name on here is Olesneaker. You all did a great job on the 'Somewhere over the rainbow' tribute for Cpt. Google.

Nice to meet you all :D

the.ronin
08-29-2009, 01:09 PM
Always been interested in trying out a ukulele and finally am getting into one via a surf friend of mine (who also told me about this forum). :D

That's me. :D

Let's go dude, get that uke!!!! :D

musicallyours
08-29-2009, 01:35 PM
hi!

I'm known by two different names, Jackie, or allegra. I got my first uke in June [a kala concert from music guy mike on ebay] and i'm kinda addicted already.

New to uke, new to UU. heh.

schubs
08-29-2009, 03:25 PM
Hello,

My name is austin. I got a Makala Soprano yesterday. it is my first uke. I am already addicted to it.

michael d
08-29-2009, 03:52 PM
Hey all greetings from Tucson,
I'm Michael and have been playing the uke for about a month. I don't know what happened, I just got the bug. I really enjoyed watching a mini jam last night and hope to have the chops (and courage) to join in. Just learned some Cat Stevens yesterday and hope to get Desmond Dekker's Israelites down soon.

:shaka:

euchre
08-29-2009, 05:09 PM
Hello All,

My name's Tom, 52 years old, from the eastern shore of Maryland. An enjoyable night of watching uke vids on YouTube a few weeks ago brought me here. I've played guitar (not that well) for about 30 years and purchased my first uke 3 weeks ago--a Lanikai SC concert model.

This purchase failed to cure my UAS so a week later I ordered a Kala Mango Tenor from MGM--with a stunning grain pattern, excellent build quality, and sweet especially for the price.

Having a lot of fun playing these little guys and wished I'd taken the plunge sooner. This seems like a great forum with lots of nice and very talented members.

Anyway. just wanted to say hi.

Tom

pithaya9
08-29-2009, 05:23 PM
Welcome to the Underground Tom.

Jack

harriet
08-30-2009, 01:29 AM
Hi there
I just wanted to say hi. My name's Harriet and I just joined the underground.
I live in Buckingham, England, and I got my first ukulele about a month ago after seeing the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain at my local theatre.
I'm into music but I've never played uke or guitar before, so I'm hoping that I can get some tips to teach myself here.
Harriet

ukulele2544
08-30-2009, 01:31 AM
Heres a redo:
Hi! my name is James and I'm 13 years old.
I like riding on airplanes and enjoy music. I can play the ukulele and piano. I am a great fan of Michael Jackson. The world lost a great person. When I play outside, I like playing basketball.
I like animals like dogs, hamsters and fish. I also have a pet hamster named "Hammy".
As you can see below, I was born on Oahu, Hawaii and lived there for a while and when I became 10 years old I moved to Korea.
I really like going to the beach and bodyboarding. But now since I'm in Korea I can't go to the beach that often.
When I grow up I want to be a commercial pilot (airline).

I go to a church named "Good News Mission". Here's my church's homepage: http://www.goodnews.kr/en/

Anne_Archy.
08-30-2009, 08:41 AM
Hi. Umm..sorry, these forums confuse me a little.
I've been lurking for a while (not to sound like a creep) mainly looking for chords and tabs and whatever, but I decided to finally join the forum.

My name can be pretty confusing, so you can call me Panzii- or Anne (on account of my boardname). Panzii is a nickname I never hoped to stick, but it works for me, so whatever. I just turned 16 and I'm from New Jersey.

I've been playing the ukulele for a few months and I've never really had a real lesson. All I do is look up chords and strum patterns. Sorry if that's wrong or anything, I'm not trying to be anyone.

I've been looking around for a lot of good songs to play, I'm into anything that gets stuck in your head and makes you go crazy for it. If anyone has suggestions for me, that'd be wicked.

I'm still a beginner-- and I think I always will be.

atexen
08-31-2009, 01:27 AM
Aloha:shaka:

i live in Bilbao and playing ukulele 3 years.

Nice to meet all of you:smileybounce:

at0mb0mb33
08-31-2009, 06:42 AM
Hi! My name is Andrea. I'm 19. I've played percussion since I was 11, guitar since I was 13, and just got my first uke about a month ago. I have a few videos up on YouTube of me singing and playing guitar (not very well).

http://www.youtube.com/user/at0mb0mb33

I'm in Grand Rapids, MI, going to school for Public Relations and Psychology. It'd be cool to meet some people from the area, if there's anyone.

usagi_is_chii
08-31-2009, 07:57 PM
Hello UU!

My name is Sarah Sounavong, I'm 21 and act like I'm still in High School. I was trained as a singer though my life. I'm attending an art school in Dallas majoring in Animation and I own a psychopathic rabbit that can only be soothed by the sound of a ukulele.

I was referred to the site by my insane boyfriend, can you guess who he is?

I like the ukulele because it's compact and it's cute sounding like a child's voice. Along with that there's isn't too much pressure to be amazing in the beginning like a guitar or violin. I'm learning at an extremely slow rate like a snail in snow.

Please be kind to me, I take everything too seriously at times and assume too much!

Capt Amazo
08-31-2009, 10:21 PM
Welcome to the Underground, Sarah. ^^

I'm not sure who your boyfriend is, but I'll bet he's devilishly handsome. XD

seraphglow
09-01-2009, 04:38 AM
Hello everyone! My name's Eryn, and I have yet to actually own a ukulele- I got hooked on them by a good friend of mine who plays. So, I am saving up for one, and you know how hard it is to save up spare money while in college. I'm in my 5th year, 2 more left until I earn my two bachelor degrees in English and Art Communication.

I used to play the harmonica, but got bored with it. Songs were easy enough to follow, but I just didn't have any feeling with improv. So, I got an ocarina next, fell in love with it, and wondered what other instrument might come across my path. Enter stage right: the ukulele! Now that was love at first sight! I've never played a stringed instrument before, and guitars looked so intimidating, but something about the sound and emotion of a uke really gets to me.

So, for now I can only dream of the uke I'm saving up for (probably another 2 months of waiting) but until then, I really enjoy looking around and seeing all the talent there is!

captain_eddy
09-01-2009, 10:39 AM
Hi Everyone,
I'm Tim
I've been playing for a month now and I'm loving it!

Playscool39
09-01-2009, 11:20 AM
Hi Everyone,
I'm Tim
I've been playing for a month now and I'm loving it!

Hi Eddy, welcome on UU. Nice to see someone else from the Netherlands:shaka:

blackunicorn
09-01-2009, 01:11 PM
Hi guys, my name is Veronica, and I've been playing (around with and making lots of funny noises on) the ukulele for about three weeks. I got one of those cheapie little Mahalos to see whether I liked it or not, and whether it'd help me learn guitar (which I also picked up rather recently, back in May). I've noticed I'm a lot more willing to pick up and plunk around on my ukulele than I am my guitar, but as a result I'm playing both more, and starting to progress on the guitar more quickly (I'm sure finding UU didn't hurt this process either- this is easily the best method site I've ever seen on the internet) :music:

I'm still working on strumming and changing chords smoothly (on both), and I think once I've got it down and can play some songs (right now I know G, C, D, Em and Am on both, so it shouldn't be long), I'll save up and upgrade to a nicer uke.

johncaudrey
09-02-2009, 12:25 AM
Hi John here

Based in Newbury, Berkshire. UK.
Work as a professional juggler/entertainer and own an entertainment agency.

Being playing guitar (badly) on and off for many years. Picked up a uke a couple of years ago, put it down for a while. Picked it back up in May this year and can't put it back down!

Now looking to upgrade to something a little more exotic than my £15 Mahalo (which actually plays very well and stays in tune). I have a feeling that the UAS may be kicking in.

MaxTennessee
09-02-2009, 05:50 PM
Hi!
My name is Max. I just started to play the Uke. I bought a cheap Mahalo uje for 20$. I spent the whole evening retuning it but fell in love instantly with the instrument. Next day went to the music store and bought a Greg Bennett uke. I play guitar, bass, accordion, tin whistle, mandolin and I fond out that my one true love (after guitars) is Ukulele.
That's about it I guess!

Nice to meet y'all!

Jayne
09-03-2009, 01:17 AM
Hi
My name is Jayne, I live in Sheffield in the UK. I only started playing a couple of years ago and I love it and can't believe what I have been missing!
I started with the acoustic guitar but I have Arthritis in my elbow and shoulder so I found it difficult to play for very long.
A couple of weeks ago me and my husband were at a folk festival in Whitby, North Yorkshire and I discovered the Uke. I only bought a cheap Lanikai but has given me a new lease of life musically and I hope to be able to buy a better quality one soon.
It is an awesome instrument and Aldrine's brilliant lessons have helped me to realise how versatile the Uke is and how to play some really cool stuff. Thank you so much Aldrine you are an inspiration!

ukerazy
09-03-2009, 01:44 AM
Hi
My name is Jayne, I live in Sheffield in the UK. I only started playing a couple of years ago and I love it and can't believe what I have been missing!
I started with the acoustic guitar but I have Arthritis in my elbow and shoulder so I found it difficult to play for very long.
A couple of weeks ago me and my husband were at a folk festival in Whitby, North Yorkshire and I discovered the Uke. I only bought a cheap Lanikai but has given me a new lease of life musically and I hope to be able to buy a better quality one soon.
It is an awesome instrument and Aldrine's brilliant lessons have helped me to realise how versatile the Uke is and how to play some really cool stuff. Thank you so much Aldrine you are an inspiration!

Hi there, welcome to the UU! I'm Melissa, i live in Manchester, U.K... i also suffer badly with arthritis and had to give up the guitar the uke is so much easier to hold for me and now the guitar looks like a giant freak! lol I hope you enjoy your time here on the forums, you might find yourself on here more than you actually play lol! Nice to meet you!

sealcove
09-03-2009, 02:06 AM
Hi,

My name is Douglas, I am 39, and I live on the coast of Maine. I am brand new to the ukulele, but so far some of my abilities on guitar and mandolin seem to be transferring well. I purchased my first uke, a 2006 Kamaka tenor, only a couple of weeks ago. I already have the bug and thus far my time playing it has easily eclipsed my other two instruments.

Douglas - SealCove

brickerenator
09-03-2009, 02:08 AM
Tom, or Thomas, or Tommy
20 years old, live in Maryland.
I work as a bookkeeper for an equipment rental company

My uke is in the mail, so no experience yet!

aukele
09-03-2009, 11:53 AM
hey im aukele =]
i've been playing uke for 2 years. i <3 my ohana !
:shaka:

Dachdoggie
09-03-2009, 02:21 PM
Hello. My name is Russ and I hail from Surrey BC Canada. I'm an electric guitar person but on a recent trip to Oahu I picked up an ukulele at the Aloha flea market. I wanted something just to keep my fingers busy while there. Well! I'm now in love! This tiny little thing makes me happy every time I pick it up :) There is a simple pleasure from playng the ukulele that the guitar just doesn't deliver. I try to play every day now.
Peace to everyone!

Danny
09-03-2009, 02:33 PM
Hi, my name is Danny. I'm 47 and live in Seattle. I've been playing bass since I was 14 and also play guitar (but not very well). Fell in love with the ukulele when I heard Somewhere Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World by Iz. I bought a cheapo Oscar Schmidt a couple of years ago but only noodled on it occasionally. About 9 months ago I decided I needed a hobby and would give uke a more serious try. Bought a used Bushman on Craigslist and fell in love with ukulele all over again. Really got inspired by watching videos of Bosko & Honey, Aldrine, Dominator and others. I have to travel all over the country for my job and so I take the uke with me to keep me company. It fits perfectly in the airplane overhead compartment. A couple of months ago I got brave and started posting videos on Youtube. My Youtube name is mongowatneymeyer. I got some very kind and encouraging feedback so I got a little bit braver and joined Ukulele Underground. What a nice bunch of people!

pithaya9
09-03-2009, 02:39 PM
Hi Danny, welcome to the Underground. Glad to see another Washinton Stater on the UU.

Jack

Depa07
09-04-2009, 06:04 AM
Hi all! I got the ukulele bug about a week ago. So I'm very much a beginner. Although my background in piano and guitar has been helpful. I've already learned a great deal from the wisdom and knowledge of the experienced ukers here. Had been thinking of buying a uke and after reading many many threads I discovered that the uke I arleady have ain't junk. I have a Kamaka Keiki that my dad bought on a whim in Hawaii on one of his business trips between 1963-1966.

During the past week my interest has leaped from "I've got the bug" to "I'm obssessed". lol My ukulele hadn't been out of its case more than 6 times in the past 40+years and had never truly been played, just played with. It's has seen 2-4 hours of play time every day for the past week. I hope it can take it. lol

I'm really enjoying the forum, the advise, the vids, the lesson materials, and I look forward to the day when I can give as much as I have already been given by all of you.

Mr. Miyagi
09-04-2009, 09:35 AM
Hi All - Been playing guitar since I was 10. About 2 years ago, I saw Jake's video on YouTube and it was all over! My GAS has be taken over by my UAS now. :)

Big_e
09-04-2009, 05:48 PM
Hello everyone! I've been practicing guitar for about 4 years now. I have basic chord knowledge and at least readily calloused fingers to help me out.:) I never gave the ukulele much thought until I stumbled on some music videos on youtube. The easy playabilty and small size of the instrument appealed to me. By "playability", I mean that the instrument is readily approachable by beginners, yet it can yeild beautiful music with much practice.
I ordered my "axe" on ebay, a beautiful Lanikai pinapple ukulele. It came in today and I feel that I'm already getting the chords down right. I'll be lurking around, learning what I can and hope to be able to help others when the time comes.
For now I keep my axe in a small laundry bag but need to get a proper case for her.
Ernest

Doktai
09-04-2009, 07:24 PM
Hey, I'm Daniel, and I live in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, North America etc. I picked up the ukulele just for fun, but haven't been able to put down since, so I've been playing for about a year. My guitar background really helped, but now I'm looking to get seriously into the uke! I'm only 16, so I have lots of time ahead of me.

eleuke
09-04-2009, 08:05 PM
Eleuke here, long time lurker but the Legend of the Ohana Ukulele contest brought me out into the light. I'm FBI (From Big Island) 30 years now. Started strumming about a year and half ago, maybe two. I wish I had an uke when I was two. Unfortunately. many decades later, I discovered my love. Breaks my heart that I'll never be skilled enought to perform, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying the experience. Nothing like a Kona Sunset, a cold one, and sound from your own hands.

I like to think I'm an amateur luthier. Sometimes I actually am. I'm pretty good with old stuff. Sometimes I can make 'em new again. Almost as satisfying to make an old uke playable again as it is to play one...

My first uke came out of a cardboard box and the intonation was so bad it was painful. Since then I've been on the search for the perfectly intonated uke. A dream, I know, but guess what, I found one! My seventh uke I picked up because I moved into a condo and wanted something to practice on and not piss off the neighbors so I picked up an old style eleuke at my local shop that had been hangin there for years. The intonation is perfect! That's all I play anymore. Hence my username...

So, there's my introduction. Really glad to be here, and really glad that UU is here too
!

bazmaz
09-05-2009, 12:49 AM
Hiya folks - been playing Uke for about a year (in the UK) and I love it.

I play a Flea Soprano now, having started with the usual plywood trash, and it's a lovely thing, though a little bright.

Now in the market for a solid wood Uke, and am desperate to get my hands on a Mainland - anyone on here in the UK have experience of shipping and duty charges etc?

Paul

wallgazer
09-05-2009, 01:25 AM
Hello All,

I live in Jacksonville, Fl and have been playing the uke for about a month. I luv all the great info on Ukulele Underground. Playing the uke has been the greatest stress reducer I have discovered.

Aloha,
Wallgazer

Benno
09-05-2009, 04:47 AM
Hi UU
My real name is Alexander, i'm 17 years old and i live in Denmark.
I've been interested in the ukulele, and wanted to buy one bought for quite some time. So last week, i finally bought one (a concert size, Oscar Schmidt), and i absolute love it!
I also play the harmonica (mouth-organ), where i mainly play the blues.

So i found this site, and it looks very cool, i love to be in a online community.
I am hoping for a good time here

- Benno
:music:

WhenDogsSing
09-05-2009, 04:57 AM
Welcome...This is a good place to be...Lots of positive vibes and lots of talent and knowledge...:D

Benno
09-05-2009, 05:44 AM
Welcome...This is a good place to be...Lots of positive vibes and lots of talent and knowledge...:D
Good to hear ;)

HeYjOe
09-05-2009, 08:36 AM
Just want to say hello, I've messed about/strummed guitars for years, bought a cheap Uke and loved the little blighter. I've got an old Keech Banjolele in Mint Condition, might sell it or trade it for a better Uke sometime in the future.

Love the site & have already found so much info, cheers.

My other Hobby is Motogp on the 360 "Live":)

Doctroid
09-05-2009, 05:07 PM
Hi, I go by "Doctroid" online (long story) but will also answer to "Rich". Physicist is my occupation and I live outside Syracuse, New York. Married, one son age 10. I've played various instruments in my life -- piano, clarinet, bass clarinet, alto clarinet, recorder, synthesizer, pennywhistle, melodeon, concertina -- none enormously well but some well enough to have fun with. Note the lack of string instruments other than piano. I tried to learn guitar once but abandoned it. Lately for who knows what reason I've been thinking it might be fun to try ukulele, so now I have a Kala lacewood soprano on the way from Hawaii. We'll see how it goes...

Oh, and other hobbies include reading, morris dancing, genealogy, knitting, and karate.

ah1288
09-06-2009, 01:43 PM
Hullo folks! I'm Andy.
I'm in college studying philosophy and linguistics. I've never been exactly talented when it comes to music, but I have found it to be the one thing that I'm not good at but still can't stop trying to do. :D
I got my first ukulele in April; she is a Kala brand soprano named Sophie.
I'm still very limited in what I can do (about five songs), but I have fun with it. :)

Heebs
09-07-2009, 08:30 AM
Hiya everyone,

In a nutshell, I am heebs. I went to this website UU because of FourteenTwelve's recommendation. :D
I've bought a ukulele a year and a half ago, but since I am not very good at it, I have been progressing really slowly. I've gotten inspired to buy one after seeing so many good players on sites like YouTube.
I have been reading all the reviews, about which one to buy or not to buy. And
one hit on Ebay later at mr. MGM, I am a proud owner of the Tangi Manini. I really love it :).

I have always wanted to try and play a stringed instrument (though piano doesn't really counts, huh).
Though I lack consistency in strumming and my fingermovent isn't as flexible as it should, however I really enjoy doodling around with this tiny uke.

That's it for now, byeeeeeee :)

Sonseeker30
09-07-2009, 08:41 AM
Name: Cecily (aka: Sonseeker30)

Location: the Desert (don't ask why!) Hometown: Honolulu, Hawaii

I learned the ukulele when I was 5 years old. Played off and on for years but recently been playing everyday with my Concert Lanikai that I got about 3 years ago. I also play the guitar. I love UU website and I am glad to be a member!

Mahalo!

glittster
09-07-2009, 11:20 AM
Name: Glittster

So I finally have my first ever uke am I'm stupidly excited. I've managed to get my nooby fingers around 8 chords tonight, after spending the best part of hour trying to tune it. I'm already finding this site to be a wealth of knowledge and no longer feel a fraud for being here now I have my pretty little Soprano Stagg US80 keeping me entertained

ogikloavailable
09-07-2009, 04:29 PM
Hi everybody :D
My name is ogi
From jogjakarta,Indonesia
Well i'm not an ukulele player but soon,i will :D
Thanks

Keoni
09-07-2009, 06:58 PM
Hello Everyone,

My name is Keoni or Jon whichever you decide. I got introduced to uke January of this year from just finding a old toy uke laying around the house. Wasn't too serious about until I started to get pretty good with it. Bought myself a better beginner uke and just been hooked on this thing since. Looking forward to learning and becoming a better player from the vast knowledge and tips from this place as well as becoming a contributor to new uke players in the future.

Netsloth
09-09-2009, 04:16 AM
I'm William.

I just bought my first ukulele. I'm a little bummed, because I'm not normally an impulse buyer, I like to do a ton of research before I buy. Actually, I tend to do research precisely because I hate buying what ends up being junk. I'd rather pay a little more and avoid buying an instrument twice.

I bought a Mitchell UM-70.

I should have known better, I already play guitar, and I knew I should have held out for a solid top uke, but I didn't.

Oh well.

I was inspired to play by someone I stumbled on over at youtube. Her name is Julia Nunes. Do a search if you haven't heard of her.

Now that I've read enough to make an informed decision, I've started looking for the replacement ukulele. I don't know what I want yet, other than a solid wood top. Considering Bushman.

It's nice to meet everyone. I'm more of a lurker than a writer.

Aloha.

HeYjOe
09-09-2009, 07:00 AM
I'm William.

I was inspired to play by someone I stumbled on over at youtube. Her name is Julia Nunes. Do a search if you haven't heard of her.

Aloha.
welcome
She's done some neat work

RevWill
09-09-2009, 07:07 AM
I don't know what I want yet, other than a solid wood top. Considering Bushman.

Don't rule out Mainland and Ohana - reportedly made in the same factory and all absolutely wonderful.

djny
09-09-2009, 08:32 AM
Hello UU. I'm an adult student at online college. That means I spend a lot of time studying, that is, procrastinating on the internet. I play a little guitar (badly). Some months ago I picked up a Lanakai LU-21 for my significant other and she has barely looked at it. I've just recently started playing it and I'm having so much fun with it.

I'm a small female with small hands. I don't know why I hadn't thought of the ukulele before! This looks like a nice, friendly online community.

youcrazii
09-09-2009, 10:21 AM
hey yall, names sione...and i just started picking the uke today, need some help. so i came here. :shaka: hmm hope i can learn alot and i have a 8 string uke and having the most trouble playing it..but i will continue..

shoots den...:eek:

axee
09-09-2009, 06:28 PM
Yoo! I got my first uke, Brownsville UK5, in like late summer. I've been playing for about 2 months and I already have sweeet memories with it. I've been learning off of youtube, friends and aldrine's uke lessons lol! Hope to explore more uke adventures!

Scotty
09-11-2009, 05:59 AM
Scotty from way South Alabama. Picked up the Ukulele right before x-mas last year. A friend of mine gave me one of his extras and I've been jamming on it ever since. I have fallen in love with the little instrument and I try to play every day, I even worn little grooves in my fret board.

Ahnko Honu
09-11-2009, 07:37 AM
I'm William.

She has awesome nostrils... :love::worship:;)

soulpowerbreaks
09-11-2009, 06:13 PM
Totally should have made my first post here. Oh well.

Name's Brian, a native to Decatur, AL and a singer for over five years. I never thought i'd ever have the energy or motivation to pick up an actual instrument until one of my friends recommended the ukulele since it's "easier" than the guitar. Me being a lazy jerk I thought "hey, it's easy. Why not?" I've only had it for a week and already know about five chords and two songs. I love this instrument. It's beautiful, it sounds lovely, and my girlfriend loves it. Hey, who said you need a big instrument? :biglaugh:

MissThing
09-12-2009, 07:31 AM
I'm Tria, and I live in Houston, TX. I've had ukuleles in the back of my mind since I went to a Petty Booka show years ago, and today I finally gave in and ordered a Kala Pineapple (the screenprinted one) from MGM on eBay. I couldn't resist the cuteness, and liked the sweet round sound on the demo. I can't wait for it to get here!

I'm going to have to teach myself to play this thing, unless I can figure out a way to get free tutorials in town. My main goal is to be able to accompany myself while I sing. I tried learning the guitar in college, but my hands are super-tiny, so that didn't work. I think the uke will be just right!

Also, now that my 4-year-old knows I'm getting a uke, he says he wants one, too! Maybe we'll start a family uke band....

Lobster_Johnson
09-12-2009, 10:23 AM
Greetings!
My name is Joe and I just started learning. I stumbled on Aldrine's videos about a year or two ago and only got around to really learning a month ago. I've been having a blast with my Kala KA-SC. So far this has been the only instrument that has really stuck with me. I've tried learning different instruments in the past but never got far. Looking forward to learning more from all of you. :shaka:

garyukulele
09-13-2009, 09:43 AM
hai guys,
i'm Gary, i'm currently playing a Kala tenor uke,
i live in England, UK
and i've played for about 9 months.

-Gary

frost3dbutts
09-13-2009, 01:58 PM
Hello!
18 year old female from London, just started playing a few months ago, but have been playing guitar for a couple of years.
editing to add that I have one of those "toy" sopranos, it is yellow. going to buy a "proper" ukulele soon. :)

kendra
09-13-2009, 04:44 PM
Hey Y'all.
36 years old. Playing ukulele for a couple years. Singing and loving music since I can remember. Live in Austin, TX.

theshaggywhale
09-13-2009, 08:44 PM
Hey everyone my name is Matthew
From Vallejo, California
just started playing ukulele in July
:shaka:keep jammin and
God bless!

Rainhill
09-14-2009, 12:54 PM
Hey everyone, I'm Paul from near Liverpool, England. Got hooked on UU after stumbling over mctrmnt's videos on youtube (possibly after Googling the littlest hobo....). Really liked the Harrison Ford vid (thanks a lot for that), so took a look at the Up Yours Deach vid (definately the winner) - checked out a few of the competition too (UKISOCIETY - awesome!!), and the rest is history...

So, I started wondering if my favourite songs could fit to the uke, and began Googling (again), SamWise and a few of the other members kept popping up, so was kinda all roads lead to UU.

Here's the sad part: I dont actually own a ukulele, but when I come back from my holidays in a few weeks, I'm going straight to the music store for one. Having said that, I'm no stranger to music; since finding the site I've continuously fought my 7 year old for her 3/4 Hannah Montana guitar, and have practised a pretty good strum; I also got to play a Vintage uke down at The Beatles Story Tour for half an hour in the "play and learn" section.

My weapon of choice more than likely will be a cheap Mahalo, firstly because thats all I can afford - hopefully we have a stork coming to our house soon; secondly, I've looked at the Makala and although dont mind the sound of it (as practised by "Two blokes, Two Ukes" on Youtube), am not too fussy on that Dolphin bridge; and thirdly, my main source of entertainment will probably be making parody songs - messing with words is something I'm good at - and dont see a $300 uke making me any better. We'll see.......thanks for reading!!

HeYjOe
09-15-2009, 06:12 AM
Hey everyone, I'm Paul from near Liverpool, England.
Great read, I'm just over the "water" but work/born in Liverpool.
There's just something about a Uke that's cool, I started off with a cheap one but just ordered a Kala KA-SMHS off the net as the choice in Liverpool & Chester was a tad limited.

Barney
09-15-2009, 10:05 AM
Hey Paul, you've reminded me that I've not said hello to everyone yet.

I'm living in Liverpool at the moment (Old Swan to be precise) though am not a scouser by birth.

My route to uke-obsession started with a spongebob uke that I bought my youngest for his 3rd birthday, then a mahalo from a music festival a week later for his big brother (how cool is it that there was a uke stall at a festival?) and now a Brueko (for me).

Uke parody songs - this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAMRBWgQFN0) one made me laugh... class.

Rainhill
09-15-2009, 11:13 AM
Hey Paul, you've reminded me that I've not said hello to everyone yet.

I'm living in Liverpool at the moment (Old Swan to be precise) though am not a scouser by birth.

My route to uke-obsession started with a spongebob uke that I bought my youngest for his 3rd birthday, then a mahalo from a music festival a week later for his big brother (how cool is it that there was a uke stall at a festival?) and now a Brueko (for me).

Uke parody songs - this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAMRBWgQFN0) one made me laugh... class.

LOL, thats what I'm on about! Good to see the whole crowd are with him :D. Welcome to the forum guys, from an equally new member :cheers:

mangorockfish
09-15-2009, 05:20 PM
Mangorockfish, my friends call me Mango. New to the forum. Played uke a little back in the 70s. Am going to try it again.:old:

Crizti
09-15-2009, 05:37 PM
Trying to get the hang of the forum after lurking for a bit.

I've been playing ukulele for just over a year. I always sucked at playing instruments (not that I don't suck now) but at least with the uke, I can play and sing at the same time!!!

I live in Norfolk, VA. I like scooters.... my chinese crested...pickles....my teenage daughters.....ok I love them....the like part is debatable at times.

Aging punk gal... just living life... working too much and spending as much quality time with my ukes as possible...

so.... hey!

fromthee2me
09-15-2009, 05:49 PM
Hello everybody,
I am interested in the uke, and have been at it for nearly 2 years. I am still learning how to navigate on this BB, so that'll develop over time, and eventually a profile can be set up. I am 57 years old, and live in Mandela's Country.

youkoul
09-16-2009, 04:18 PM
Hello, I'm Youkoul, from France. I played ukulele since more or less 3 years, after playing drums in rock n roll bands, and different stupid instruments. I specially love old songs on the ukulele.
Cheers!

ruth7784
09-17-2009, 01:28 PM
Hello everyone :-) I've only had my uke about a month, playing classical guitar for 3 months so I'm a beginner, with stringed instruments anyway. I'm definately better at listening to music than making it lol. I've spent a LOT of time looking at ukuele stuff on Youtube the past few weeks lol and kept coming across the same names, it took me a while to realise that they probably all know each other because of UU lol so thought I might as well join up and have a nosey, plus I have a need to learn how to actually play my uke :-P x

MissThing
09-17-2009, 05:02 PM
My ukulele arrived today, and I've been trying to teach myself for the last few hours. I'm not doing too bad with figuring out chords, though my strumming sucks.

Thank goodness for online tutorials! It's so much fun to finally be able to accompany my own singing for a change.

Now I have to go soak my hurty fretting fingers... ow ow ow ow ow....

UkuleleHill
09-17-2009, 05:11 PM
Welcome to UU!

An Idle Dad
09-17-2009, 06:45 PM
Hi All,
Having lived 34 years without touching a musical instrument decided I didn't want my two daughters (one and four yo) having the same experience.
Decided to pick the ukulele as it was cheap and small enough for a four year old to hold, but have totally fallen in love with playing.
So much fun. I practice a little each day, watch a lot of your videos on youtube - great stuff.
Anyhow, hope to get to know some of you and trade newbie tips.
Chris 'An Idle Dad'

Kazuma
09-18-2009, 06:11 AM
Hi I'm Kazuma, I've been learning to play Ukulele for nearly a year now thanks to Ukulele underground and so thought I should start posting in the forums more :p I own a Mahalo soprano ukulele and a Greg Bennett concert ukulele and have only spent £20 on each of them :D

Sambient
09-20-2009, 02:48 AM
Hello hello!
A wanna-be uke player who just got herself a brand new Mitchell MU100.
Left handed, but simply playing with the instrument flipped.
I'd switched the sequence of the strings on a cheapie but wound up switching them back. My reasoning was that at some point I also plan on making another attempt at learning to play bass, and I prefer bass "with my fat string located at the bottom", let alone tired of the limitations of looking only at left-handed instruments, and figure reading tablature will be more similar between the instruments if I am consistent.

My husband is a musician and recently decided to start dabbling in ukulele.

Though very verbose and sufficiently intellegent, I didn't know how to properly spell ukulele until I got interested.

I'm looking forward to exploring all the information and resources here. Thanks for having a place for beginners.

ukulelehoo
09-20-2009, 03:53 PM
Hello! I am Leslie. I have been playing since the end of August 2008. I have a Natural Flea Ukulele. I am located in Los Angeles. It's time for me to start practicing regularly!

Jewkulele
09-21-2009, 10:29 AM
My name is Matthew - I live in Wichita, KS but I am originally from PA. I have been playing guitar, piano, hammered dulcimer, mandolin and banjo for almost 20 years. I have always been fascinated by the ukulele - and I recently stumbled across Jake Shimabukuro and I went out and bought my first uke - a very inexpensive Kala Concert last weekend...and I have been playing the heck out of it.

Now I want to get a much better uke - I want a tenor. I can already see this is going to be a long and rewarding journey :)

Regards,

Matthew

snowy_zoe
09-22-2009, 12:53 AM
Hi my name is Zoe,
I have recently become totoally obsessed by ukuleles, I was given a cheap "lazy ukelele" from my brother, it had been kicking round his work office. I haven't been able to put it down, I've never played a musical intrument (I'm not counting the recorder at primary school) but now I'm practising on this thing for up to 3 hours a day - I am definatly getting better, and tomorrow I am planning to go to edinburgh to buy a new ukulele. My dad and my boyfriend have witnessed this obsession and are willing to donate some money to my "I need a new uke" cause.

Does this happen to everyone?

btw, I found out about this site through other ukulele sites, it comes highly recommended

UkuleleHill
09-22-2009, 04:12 AM
Hello! I am Leslie. I have been playing since the end of August 2008. I have a Natural Flea Ukulele. I am located in Los Angeles. It's time for me to start practicing regularly!

Welcome! A Flea? Lucky :D

My name is Matthew - I live in Wichita, KS but I am originally from PA. I have been playing guitar, piano, hammered dulcimer, mandolin and banjo for almost 20 years. I have always been fascinated by the ukulele - and I recently stumbled across Jake Shimabukuro and I went out and bought my first uke - a very inexpensive Kala Concert last weekend...and I have been playing the heck out of it.

Now I want to get a much better uke - I want a tenor. I can already see this is going to be a long and rewarding journey

Regards,

Matthew

Jake, still a great advocate to the uke :) Welcome!

Hi my name is Zoe,
I have recently become totoally obsessed by ukuleles, I was given a cheap "lazy ukelele" from my brother, it had been kicking round his work office. I haven't been able to put it down, I've never played a musical intrument (I'm not counting the recorder at primary school) but now I'm practising on this thing for up to 3 hours a day - I am definatly getting better, and tomorrow I am planning to go to edinburgh to buy a new ukulele. My dad and my boyfriend have witnessed this obsession and are willing to donate some money to my "I need a new uke" cause.

Does this happen to everyone?

btw, I found out about this site through other ukulele sites, it comes highly recommended

Welcome! Glad you found us! :)

Oh and the need for a new uke is very common, we refer to it as UAS: Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome

retrozombi
09-22-2009, 04:48 AM
My name's Sean. I live in Michigan and still have a job.

I got my first ukulele about 3 years ago, but didn't really do much with it until I sort of inherited a mandolin. I work near a place that does lessons, so I took mandolin lessons, and that renewed my interest in that uke that was collecting dust. Now I've got several sopranos (including a resonator I just picked up) a tenor and a baritone.

Joe Beamish
09-23-2009, 04:05 AM
Hello, all -- It's been great seeing so many uke-infatuated souls here...I'm originally from Kansas but live in Brooklyn, NY. Longtime guitar player (basic rock, country, and folk stuff) -- I took up the uke a couple months ago.

I had inherited a kamaka pineapple that my grandparents picked up in Hawaii in the sixites. It was always sitting on the mantle in their house. When I was a kid I tried playing it during my visits. Every so often one of the partying grownups would pick it up and bash out a remembered song, but otherwise it was an ornament, a nice memory presumably.

But I'm playing it every day now. Guitars are prose, whereas a uke is poetry, like a spirit. (Don't worry...I like both instruments!) I'm learning all sorts of cool stuff about music for the first time, and really digging that amazing, versatile voice.

dbeall
09-24-2009, 03:00 PM
I am David Beall from Lindale, GA. I am a member of the SEUkers and have been playing for 9 months. I own a Makala Tenor with Aquilla Strings and also a Pono Tenor with Aquilla Strings and a pickup for playing electrically. I have really enjoyed this instrument.

grasshopper
09-24-2009, 09:44 PM
My name is Yoshi and I live in Brea, Ca. I saw 'Elephant Town' by Tia on YouTube and was inspired to play the ukulele. I got my very first ukulele 2 days ago and have not put it down. Of course, I'm nowhere near good but its so much fun and I'm learning a lot from UU. Thanks everyone!

KevRocky
09-25-2009, 06:25 AM
Hey everybody! My name is Rocky. I was the artist and animator for the Koaloha Story that (hopefully) all of you seen and enjoyed. Now my knowledge of Ukes is pretty limited, (in fact, I was drawing 5-stringed ukuleles in the animation until the Gary San Angel told me otherwise) but I was inspired after watching Youtube videos of renditions of my favorite songs. Not only that, but my trip to Honolulu blessed me with a chance to toy with a Koaloha Ukulele!

I've been stalking UU for a long time and I just signed up. Mostly to inform everybody that : Just today, I got my ukulele! It's a entry-level ukulele. I don't know know any strings, but I'm pretty gung-ho about playing it. I want to at least know a few songs before I go visit Koaloha again next year, so I can be less of an embarrassment to all that is Ukuleles. :)

Twangmeister
09-25-2009, 09:18 AM
Hi

My name' Andrew and I'm based in the UK.

I've been playing Uke for about 10 days since my wife gave me a soprano for an anniversary present. Although I know very little at all about it (a Tanglewood TU2 with solid spruce top) it came with a good quality hard case and has guitar type tuners. As I'm a long time fingerstyle guitar player I am aware that Tanglewood do have a good reputation for budget to mid priced guitars in the UK and I like the way it feels and sounds.

Gonna have a lot of fun with this.

luke'nlele
09-25-2009, 11:32 PM
We are Ron and Jeanne from Bel Air, Maryland, US. We went on a cruise to Hawaii for Ron's 50th birthday in February, 2009. We took lessons from the cruise director and got our ukes in Hilo. Ron named our ukes Luke and Lele. We have no previous music background but we love our ukuleles and have played almost every day since we got them. We've been following the forum for awhile now so we thought we should introduce ourselves.:)

davidp
09-26-2009, 01:01 PM
hello, yet another convert walks this way...I am happy to have found this forum.

My name is David. I live in Northern NSW in Australia and I have always had an interest in 'early' American music like from 20's, 30's, 40's ...the roots, so to speak ...so ukulele has always figured in that somewhat.

A contemporary band I fell in love with (Combo mahalo) included uke in their line-up, and with a song from their CD in the back of my mind, I was walking past a local music store about a month ago.

In the window was a group of 3 ukuleles, pink, yellow, and in the center, a tenor (it somehow looked more 'serious' than the pink and yellow, with it's woodgrain showing and looking like a big brother to the sopranos either side of it).

On a total whim, and figuring - 4 strings, 4 fingers, how hard can it be? ...I wandered in and bought it. A $90 Mahalo.

I have no previous musical experience, but I figure the only way to get some is to make a start.

Google brought me here, where I read some posts and immediately ordered some Aquila strings (nice improvement on the sound my cheapy makes) and started drooling over the ukes in musicguymic's room.

Now it looks like I have a lot of work in front of me, but it also looks like there is a wealth of resource here and I thank those who have done all the hard work of putting so much useful stuff in one place.

The Old Spice Boys, with Azo Bell, are a local band, so I have seen him play a few times and their album 'alibi in birdland' is high on my listening list right now.

Look forward to future conversations with some of you,
David

dbeall
09-26-2009, 02:08 PM
Davidp....check out Never Shout Never. This band features a uke.

davidp
09-26-2009, 06:06 PM
Davidp....check out Never Shout Never. This band features a uke.

Thanks for the pointer dbeall :) I will go and have some listening.

david

dbeall
09-27-2009, 02:13 AM
I found a new artist as well that is a current YouTube sensation. her name is Julia Nunes. Her screen name on YT is jaaaaaaa. That's 7 a's. She has the voice of an angel and mad skills on the uke. She's not Jake or anything, but very good.

starm
09-27-2009, 05:59 AM
got a uke about a year ago.. joined a group.. didn't practice. Bought more uke's plus a banjo that I took back.. then an electric uke that seems to fit my fingers... still haven't practised but I will (I think) if I can find a pictoral of general chords. Which is why I am here
steve

daytripper
09-27-2009, 06:58 AM
Hey there. Marc from the UK, got a Mahalo U320C for my b'day yesterday. Been pointed here by the good people at BanjoHangOut.org (where I ask banjo questions, obviously)

ta

ukecantdothat
09-27-2009, 02:39 PM
Hey! My name is Thom and I've been at it, uke-wise, about 3 years or so, unless you count the 40+ years I've been playing my stratocaster, which is really just an overblown uke thru a Marshall stack! I found the portabililty of the uke made an excellent practice device for the six-string, but guess what? I now play the uke almost exclusively (sometimes thru the Marshall!).

I can't help it.

dbeall
09-27-2009, 11:07 PM
Starm there are several sites that provide what you are looking for. First, there is chordie.com, which is really a guitar site, but also has drop menus that let you see how to play a song on the uke. Druke.com is another. If you will email me at davidcbeall@bellsouth.net, I can email you a .pdf file with a chord chart and some songs. Mainly the chord chart is what makes it worth having. Have fun ukin!

dbeall
09-27-2009, 11:08 PM
Thom welcome to the world of uke! I was not a musician at all. A friend got me to pick it up and I'm hooked! I've been playing since January.

LazyPancakes
09-28-2009, 06:00 AM
wussup this is Jon, been playing the guitar for four years and runnin.

Just picked up the uke when my girlfriend gave it to me and I've been on it for days strait aha!

nunavut-made uke
09-28-2009, 11:56 AM
whats up, my name is matt and i live in pennsylvania(I feel like Im the only one on earth who plays ukulele). Ive only been playing for about a year or so but I love playing ukulele!

Godby
09-28-2009, 02:56 PM
Hey everyone, I'm 17 and I'm from Bealeton, Virginia. I've been playing the uke for about a year and half now, first instrument I've ever played. I'm not an expert or anything, but hey. I've learned mostly through the internet and I'm hoping to learn more.

Nikadocious
09-29-2009, 07:08 PM
Yo this is Nikko age 19 from San Mateo, Ca (Bayyy Areeeaaa) I've been playing and reading music since I first picked up the Flute in elementary school. I play numerous instruments such as the Flute, Sax, Bass, Guitar, and I Dj as well. Now I'm looking for a new sound... and that new sound is the UKULELE!!

UkéDan
09-30-2009, 03:32 PM
Hi y'all. Guess it's about time to present myself.. Dan from Canada; playing different intruments since high school and one of the first was an 'ukulele, the triangular one so popular in Canada at the time. Now I have a Koa Pili Koko and a vintage Kumalae that I repaired. My Koaloha concert is on it's was. I play bass in a folk rock band and the ukulele gets to play regularly at our concerts.

LeoHareMusic
10-01-2009, 06:44 AM
Hey all. Some of you I already know from YouTube. My channel is http://www.youtube.com/leoharemusic

:cool:

EAZY-E
10-02-2009, 04:30 AM
Hi all I'm Edward, Just bought a Lanikai NKT Tenor & I am brand new aka (total nub) glad I found this site it is a wealth of knowledge and filled with some very cool people. Hope to learn and someday become 1/10th of the player that many of you are.

ukemonster
10-02-2009, 08:41 AM
Hi everyone
the uke is what i love to play, it`s so much fun. I`ve been playing for about three years now, exclusivley as i`ve been backpacking. it`s the best for travel, but it is realy just the best! I reckon!
so play on, and sing on and lets have some fun
Monster

mvinsel
10-02-2009, 06:53 PM
Hello,
I am new here but enjoyed looking over the past few weeks.

I got the bug from a family reunion where my siblings had their instruments, but flying from Alaska I didn't even want to bring a 3/4 size guitar. I need an instrument I can take anywhere. Along our travels we enjoyed Cannon Beach, OR, and later I noticed a nice looking soprano uke in a shop window in Astoria with a sign "by Cannon Beach maker". After a bit of learning here, I called them and ordered it and now have been playing it for four nights.

I think Mr. Donaldson's work is very nice, and delightful sounding.
I look forward to learning and getting better.

-Vinnie in Juneau

Pyrateknight
10-02-2009, 06:59 PM
I found this forum through Kissing of The Ocarina Network and I found you have a lot of knowledge that will help my mediocre uke playing. Right now I play a Mahalo Les Paul. But I plan to upgrade to a Pono Mango wood pineapple shape.

levers
10-03-2009, 12:04 PM
Hi,
I'm Levers from Epping in Essex in the UK. I just started playing Ukulele, and at the moment I am rubbish! So I'm Told!
Great Site though!
Regards

Levers

loofa
10-03-2009, 12:06 PM
Hey I am Adam. I am from St. Louis but am currently in Springfield, MO for college. I have yet to play the ukulele but I will be purchasing my first one very soon.

Nuprin
10-03-2009, 12:09 PM
Hey all,

I'm Chris. A buddy of mine plays the uke and I always enjoyed messing around with his. I got my first one about 6 months ago and it has taken over as my favorite instrument. I've been a drummer for about 18 years, and I've played guitar for about 6 years.

I stumbled across the forum when looking for reviews for ukes (I've since gotten a case of UAS pretty badly...currently have 6 ukes, have another 2 being shipped, and will be ordering another next week).

Glad to be here and soak up the expertise of all those more experienced than me!

dbeall
10-04-2009, 02:13 AM
Nah Levers, just keep playing :)

BoyBlue
10-04-2009, 06:50 AM
Hi everybody! I just purchased a Makala concert and I'm learning it ever so slowly, haha! I love this thing, and I really dig this site!

So, hello everyone!

Ortiz
10-04-2009, 01:11 PM
Hi how is everyone...glad to be here!
My name is Bryan. I live in Montreal Canada.
I have been playing ukulele on and off since maybe 1999. I would strum my little instrument only from time to time..family occasions, lunch time at work, after rock and roll gigs...etc. As you may not know yet, ukulele is not that really ''in'' down here in Montreal. Actually, it's pretty hard to find someone who knows how to play it or wants to play it!. So when you do find someone, you try to keep in contact with the person(that's what i did) :P... Got my 2nd 'real' ukulele when my wife and I went to Hawaii for our honeymoon! it was a gift from my wife fresh from the oven ukulele shop! ;) i think she kinda regrets it..i played with the beautiful uke day and night while we stayed at Hawaii!!! :P
ps..We did not divorce ;) :P
Cheers

funkyuke
10-06-2009, 07:44 AM
i've been playing stringed instruments since 97 i think. mandolin for a couple years, and now focusing on the ukulele for the past 3-4. love the sound of it with a band, love to play it. own a kala tenor a/e with the cutaway body. aloha from los angeles!

bunnyflower
10-06-2009, 05:49 PM
Hi! I am new here, and have been playing (sporadically) for a few months. :music: I wanted a ukulele desperately, and my best friend gave me one for Christmas. I love it so much!

These forums are such a great resource, and I am happy to be here. (Oh and I am from Athens, GA!)

King FarUke
10-08-2009, 10:55 AM
Hi! My name is Kevin and I have been lurking the forum since April but have never posted until today. I am from the Wash., D.C. area and got interested in the uke during a trip to Hawaii earlier this year when I overheard a local playing in the airport in Maui while on my way to Kaua'i. The mellow relaxing sound made me realize the Uke was more than the toy I had always considered it to be. I had played guitar on and off over the years so I bought a mahagony Kamoa at Larry's shop in Kaua'i to get me started with the uke. I have added three more moderately priced imported ukes of different woods since then. I try to play a couple of times a week for about an hour, usually after the wife goes to bed. I really enjoy the different sound each produces and the overall artistic nature of the instruments. I hope to add a true handmade Hawaiian uke to the collection in the coming months (I will be seeking advice from forum members!). Happy Playing!

SeePM
10-11-2009, 09:41 AM
Hey there. My name is Chip from Tulsa Oklahoma. I have been playing guitar for a few years and purchased my first uke (Oscar Schmidt OU2) a couple years ago. I didn't take ti it right away and it got shelved - only picking it up once and a while (and then mostly to move it). I took another pass about 7 months ago and can't stop playin it. All the folks on this forum have been extrememly helpful and SUPER knowledgeable. I just got my new Mainland Mahagony Concert on Friday and love it, hard to put down. My son has already picked up my first one and we continue learn, play, and have fun.

Fuzzy
10-11-2009, 12:04 PM
Hi, folks.

I recently started playing ukulele and am at the point where I'd like to discuss it with others in order to move forward, and this seems like a great place. I'd eventually like to learn some old blues songs from the '20s and '30s, so perhaps someone here can help me out.

I'm a teacher in the Peterborough, Ontario, area, and live out in the woods with my wife and daughter and the trees and wildlife. I just started playing music recently; I've been a rock/punk drummer for about two years, and have been playing the uke for just a few months. I may not post much, but be sure that I'm lurking around here somewhere. :)

KrissCross
10-12-2009, 12:06 AM
Hi,

my name is Kristian and I live in Denmark.
I have been playing the ukulele for about a year and a half and have become a big fan of all you guys at Ukulele Underground.

I'm actually planning on doing a paper here on Aarhus University about UU, so maybe I'll talk to some of you soon.

devilishlypure
10-12-2009, 04:27 PM
Hi! I'm Lauren and I live in NJ.

About a year and a half ago, the front page of YouTube got to witness the first time I bought and played a ukulele. (I don't know if any of you saw "Guacamole Ukulele") Unfortunately, quite a few people neglected the fact that we were tuning, playing, and writing with the instrument for the first time, and we got a lot of mean comments. I eventually got over it, and now I can say that I know not to tune concert ukes like guitars (which I learned to play first) and that I can find my way through a pretty good amount of chords.

I have a bunch of ukulele originals on my YouTube channel and there are a bunch of tracks on my newest album that feature ukulele. I also can't stop buying them. I'm also proud to have UAS, despite being a poor college student with nothing but CD and merch sales to keep me from going completely broke. I have four ukes at the moment (Mitchell Koa Concert, Ohana Mahogany Soprano, Green Makala Soprano, and Kala Lacewood Tenor Cutaway) and I'm looking into getting a custom concert Fluke next!

Good times! See you guys around. :D

UkuleleHill
10-12-2009, 04:28 PM
Hi! I'm Lauren and I live in NJ.

About a year and a half ago, the front page of YouTube got to witness the first time I bought and played a ukulele. (I don't know if any of you saw "Guacamole Ukulele") Unfortunately, quite a few people neglected the fact that we were tuning, playing, and writing with the instrument for the first time, and we got a lot of mean comments. I eventually got over it, and now I can say that I know not to tune concert ukes like guitars (which I learned to play first) and that I can find my way through a pretty good amount of chords.

I have a bunch of ukulele originals on my YouTube channel and there are a bunch of tracks on my newest album that feature ukulele. I also can't stop buying them. I'm also proud to have UAS, despite being a poor college student with nothing but CD and merch sales to keep me from going completely broke. I have four ukes at the moment (Mitchell Koa Concert, Ohana Mahogany Soprano, Green Makala Soprano, and Kala Lacewood Tenor Cutaway) and I'm looking into getting a custom concert Fluke next!

Good times! See you guys around. :D

Lauren, 5AG Lauren? Really?!?? You found UU! Awesome welcome!

devilishlypure
10-12-2009, 04:31 PM
Lauren, 5AG Lauren? Really?!?? You found UU! Awesome welcome!

Yeah, HI!! :D Oh yay, I'm excited!

thejumpingflea
10-12-2009, 04:33 PM
Yeah, HI!! :D Oh yay, I'm excited!

Awesome! Welcome to UU. Good videos you got there. :)

devilishlypure
10-12-2009, 04:57 PM
Awesome! Welcome to UU. Good videos you got there. :)

Thank you! Glad to be here. :)

scottie
10-12-2009, 06:16 PM
Hi, I'm scottie, guitar player for about 35 years, classical, blues, new agey strangeness. . . all fingerstyle.

Help. . . the ukulele seems like such a cool instrument, so perfectly portable. . . so friendly. . . I don't have a uke yet but I'll likely be picking something up in a couple of weeks to noodle on.

UkuleleHill
10-12-2009, 06:46 PM
Welcome! You don't have one yet you say? Well get one they are awesome! I played Guitar for several years and still do, but I love the sound of the ukulele more!

Schnitzelbank
10-12-2009, 07:12 PM
Hello all! I'm a recovering trumpet player, and the ukulele seemed like the perfect string instrument to start on for someone who picked an instrument based on a small number of buttons.
I've been playing for a few months now, on a Kala Mahogany Tenor I bought after watching videos of the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain. I like the versatility of the ukulele, from cheeky to classical.
I like playing folk tunes, but hope to add a solid body electric to my collection. I played a Stagg electric last week and was disappointed, so I'll probably empty my piggy bank for a Risa or Jupiter Creek ukulele eventually.
Lurking here has helped me play better, so thanks to everyone who posts tips!

eleuke
10-12-2009, 08:00 PM
Hello all! I'm a recovering trumpet player, and the ukulele seemed like the perfect string instrument to start on for someone who picked an instrument based on a small number of buttons.
I've been playing for a few months now, on a Kala Mahogany Tenor I bought after watching videos of the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain. I like the versatility of the ukulele, from cheeky to classical.
I like playing folk tunes, but hope to add a solid body electric to my collection. I played a Stagg electric last week and was disappointed, so I'll probably empty my piggy bank for a Risa or Jupiter Creek ukulele eventually.
Lurking here has helped me play better, so thanks to everyone who posts tips!

I played trumpet for 10 years, It was my dream to play in the Doc Severenson Tonight Show Band. Still got my nickel plated Holten and my Schilke 5A4. Oh well... I wish I had found the uke back then. Welcome to UU!

EkuRonet
10-15-2009, 05:46 PM
Hello Ukulele Underground, I'm new to these forums (but I've heard a lot about this so I thought I'd join in!)

Just in case anyone wonders, my username is simply Tenor Uke backwards because my first ukulele was a tenor. :)

ElectricChili
10-16-2009, 11:12 AM
Hey everyone! I don't even have a Uke but I'm thinking about getting one. Hoping to do my investigation as to what to look for on this forum. I'm a guitar player so I'm familiar with some things but I'm finding out more and more how little I know about the Uke World.

See ya 'round the forum!

Rich

ForestsRequiem
10-16-2009, 11:54 AM
Hello folks!

I have enjoyed playing music all my life, and recently I have become interested in the ukulele! I currently enjoy playing the Saxophone, Ocarina, and Viola, and while this is already a fair number of instruments, I think I'd enjoy an instrument I can sing along with! Ukulele Underground was recommended to me by kissing (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/member.php?u=9814)!

Part of me thinks that it would be unwise of me to begin playing the ukulele, as it is my dream to play Viola professionally someday, but at the very least, I'll enjoy learning about the wonderful ukulele!

UkuleleHill
10-16-2009, 12:14 PM
Hey everyone! I don't even have a Uke but I'm thinking about getting one. Hoping to do my investigation as to what to look for on this forum. I'm a guitar player so I'm familiar with some things but I'm finding out more and more how little I know about the Uke World.

See ya 'round the forum!

Rich

Welcome! Many of use are "recovering" guitar players lol I kid I kid... Have fun! Glad you are here!

UkuleleHill
10-16-2009, 12:17 PM
Hello folks!

I have enjoyed playing music all my life, and recently I have become interested in the ukulele! I currently enjoy playing the Saxophone, Ocarina, and Viola, and while this is already a fair number of instruments, I think I'd enjoy an instrument I can sing along with! Ukulele Underground was recommended to me by kissing (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/member.php?u=9814)!

Part of me thinks that it would be unwise of me to begin playing the ukulele, as it is my dream to play Viola professionally someday, but at the very least, I'll enjoy learning about the wonderful ukulele!

Welcome! Many articles have proven that picking up another stringed instrument can help you improve on your original one, also the Ukulele is an excellent instrument to learn and to sing with, glad to have you here!

mrsdepp
10-16-2009, 05:46 PM
hi! :D

I have been on ukulele underground forum for some time but haven't really introduced myself properly on this thread.

I'm from Singapore and just started playing the uke about 2 months ago.
Haha by the way, my username is mrsdepp cause I am a huge fan of Johnny Depp. Always used that nick on other forums so decided to stick with it. :)

ZombieSaint
10-16-2009, 06:41 PM
When I was young my parents bought me a toy uke. I used to get my grandmother to tune it for me, a feat she could do by ear. For some reason I have kept it my entire life and recently I decided to look into how much an actual uke would cost. I found a reasonably priced concert uke at a local Guitar Center. So, I bought it and have been playing around with it for the last week or so. Around the same time frame I ran into this site and have been reading through the forums.

Anyway, folks here seem nice and I look forward to having some fun talking about ukuleles and such.

Oh and this morning I ordered a pineapple Kamoa from this very site. Can't wait to see it in person.

UkuleleHill
10-16-2009, 07:21 PM
Welcome both of you!

Tube
10-17-2009, 05:40 AM
Hey, I´m Jens.
Location Lower Saxony, Germany.
I fear I have wasted the most of my life, by not playing the uke.
Since april I try to catch up...
My challenging instruments: Brüko custom sopran and Kiwaya KTC-2

UkuleleHill
10-17-2009, 05:42 AM
Hey, I´m Jens.
Location Lower Saxony, Germany.
I fear I have wasted the most of my life, by not playing the uke.
Since april I try to catch up...
My challenging instruments: Brüko custom sopran and Kiwaya KTC-2

Welcome! Glad to have you here! This is the best place to be to learn or catch up to time missed :)

ForestsRequiem
10-17-2009, 06:43 AM
Welcome! Many articles have proven that picking up another stringed instrument can help you improve on your original one, also the Ukulele is an excellent instrument to learn and to sing with, glad to have you here!

Thank you for welcoming me! I'm glad to hear that learning a 2nd stringed instrument can improve your skill on the first! I've been rather frustrated with my slow progress on my Viola recently, and I feel as if I'm quite close to "taking off", Ukulele could just be the nudge I need!

FromTheWayside
10-17-2009, 04:10 PM
Name: Chris
How long have you been playing ukulele: A few months...a few AWESOME months.

:D

thisnthat
10-18-2009, 03:46 AM
Just wanted to say hi, I'm your resident lurker for this week.
I play keyboard but had to sell that when we knew we were expecting our first baby as we simply don't have the room now and I've been trying to work out how I could squeeze one into this house but there's just no room. So I've been trying to find some sort of alternative.
I've always wanted to play guitar but find it hard because I have small hands and was lamenting this fact to my other half a couple of days ago. He said half joking that there's always the ukulele and I said it was funny he should mention that because I'd been watching some videos on YouTube from a fellow UU member here; CountryMouse and thought it looked like fun.

I've been reading the forums these last few days and it looks like there's some really useful info here. I've bookmarked a bunch of threads for reference later.
I've ordered a Lanikai Soprano Uke which should arrive hopfully tomorrow.
I'm sure I'll be learning a bunch of nursery rhymes to start with to keep our now 2 year old toddler entertained.

phil_doleman
10-19-2009, 05:39 AM
Hi,
Finally got around to registering!
I'm Phil, I've been playing for going on 6 years (and playing guitar for about 21!). I'm half of the ukulele duo The Re-entrants (the one on the left of the screen on our YouTube videos).
I know a few of you already from other forums and from meeting people at gigs.

My main stage ukes are the prototype Pete Howlett concert Uklectic and a Rob Collins Walnut triangular soprano uke (one of a matching pair built for us). On Youtube you might also see me with a Ken Timms soprano a Simon Bush concert or soprano or a Kiwaya KTC-2.

ukumele
10-19-2009, 04:16 PM
Hi,
I'm Melissa. I just had my 1 year ukulele anniversary. I am 33 years old and have, until now identified myself as a bassoonist. Now when people ask me what my main instrument is....I tell them the ukulele. I can't STOP PLAYING IT!!!!!:D So glad for the UU

thatguywiththeukulele
10-19-2009, 04:20 PM
Hey all! I'm mike I'm from new York. Today is my 1st day with a ukulele. I have played other instruments. I play ocarina and tenor sax so I have a nice range of instruments now

fightthetide14
10-20-2009, 07:42 AM
hey im stephen! from madison, wi
i just picked up a uke about 3 weeks ago and have been playing it for hours a day, ive always wanted to write songs and such
seeing as a girl i fell in love with moved to hawaii
i figured it would be fitting if i started learning a uke.
since i picked it up ive fallen in love with them and cant wait to buy a better one!
right now i just have an oschar schmidt

Jepoyako
10-20-2009, 09:45 AM
Jeff Salamat (Jepoyako) here, from Chula Vista, CA.

Been playing a little here and there for a couple (2) years on a Costco bought ukulele (Lyon by Washburn LU-5). I have a little bit of a guitar background and have now fallen in love the ukulele almost exclusively--I rarely pick up my guitar now.

I'm hoping to get a quality uke in the near future.

Right now I'm trying to figure out Aldrine's riffs and solo for "Here's A Lei." Been lovin that song ever since I saw his rendition--which is recently, ha!

Maraming Salamat Po!

Fstpicker
10-21-2009, 02:47 AM
I want to introduce myself here from Orlando, Florida. My first musical instrument that I learned to play on (besides the piano) was my Kingston all-mahogany Baritone Ukulele, which was made in Japan and sports a bone nut and saddle, and has geared tuners. I purchased this uke back in 1967 (I'm old I know!) for $20 from money I earned for hoeing a cornfield of weeds. I grew up in Wisconsin, so farms were plentiful at the time. I was so proud of this uke and taught myself how to play it from a Mel Bay uke book. Every time I would learn a chord and play a song, I would show it off to my mom, who gave me encouragement. A couple years later, I graduated to the acoustic guitar, and with my 8th grade graduation money a year after that, I purchased a Suzuki 12-string acoustic guitar.

Now some 42 years later, I've still have that original Kingston Baritone Ukulele that has seen better days, and is pretty battle-scarred. Recently, I put some new Aquila strings on it, which may possibly be the first string change from what I can recall, and screwed down the badly tilting bridge to the top, and made this uke playable. The intonation is decent, and it sounds very good with a lot of deep, rich mahogany tone to it, and is surprisingly loud. I'll probably use this uke for when our folk music group does the song "Margaritaville" some day, which seems appropriate with this uke.

I am an active part-time musician who plays acoustic guitar every week at my church in their praise band, am a founding member of a traditional and contemporary folk trio, and occasionally sing and play music with my wife. Besides folk music and contemporary praise music, I enjoy celtic, old time, bluegrass, pop, and traditional gospel music. I play at local music festivals in Central Florida fairly often, and am involved in celtic and old time music jams.

Thanks for listening...:)

Jeff

Kowalicious
10-21-2009, 12:57 PM
Name: Benny.
Years playing: Just over a year.

It took me awhile to start to get into it, but once I seriously started with the Uke, I just couldn't stop. It really is a wonderful little instrument, and my guitar playing has seen an improvement as well.

davedavedave
10-21-2009, 05:57 PM
ello world my name is davo .nice place you got here

srternasco
10-22-2009, 08:27 AM
Hi everyone!
Here Sr. Ternasco from Barcelona, totally newbie with my new MahiMahi MS-7G bought in http://ukecosas.es

toddbaker
10-22-2009, 01:33 PM
Greetings everyone.

I just started playing. In fact, I bought my first ukulele at the Cerritos Festival. UU has made me so excited about this instument. I appreciate what you guys do here.

Thanks.

Yigo671
10-22-2009, 01:41 PM
Hey, my name is Andrew. Born and raised on the island of "GUAM". Ive been playing uke for about a year now!

thatguywiththeukulele
10-22-2009, 02:37 PM
Hi! im mike! ive been playing ukulele for 3 days hehe. Im new so i might need some help! i play ocarina and tenor sax as well as the uke! so see ya all around!

jernuy
10-23-2009, 05:13 AM
hi, i am alex from hong kong, i have been playing ukulele for a few weeks but still a complete noob :D, i hope by participating this forum can help me get better :)

bazinga
10-23-2009, 05:53 PM
Hello Folks,
My name is Fel from Markham, Canada. Playing for about two months.
I have been browsing UU for a while and finally decided to register. I know I will learn a lot from this group.

artuliao
10-23-2009, 11:57 PM
hey everyone! My name is Anthony Tuliao been playing ukulele since June. Going to the beach a lot and wanting to bring an instrument caused me to finally learn on my nearly 18 yr old "display" ukulele. But since I've now bought two ukuleles the kala flamed maple (concert) and the empire music co "the classic koa". Came on here to expand my knowledge and already have learned so much from everyone!

Ahnko Honu
10-24-2009, 06:56 AM
Hi everyone!
Here Sr. Ternasco from Barcelona, totally newbie with my new MahiMahi MS-7G bought in http://ukecosas.es

E komo mai (welcome) Senor Ternasco, I never heard of the Mahimahi 'ukulele. Probably be very popular with the local fishermen here like myself the Mahimahi being the name of the Dolphin (fish) aka Dorado in Spanish. Mahi means strong in Hawaiian, and Mahimahi is strong x 2 for emphasis, a great fighting fish on the end of a line. Also very delicious. Very nice looking 'ukulele, looking forward to your review.

2 Mahimahis
http://ukecosas.es/media/products/mt-7g/mt-7g_main.jpg
http://www.costaricapages.com/panama/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/mahi.jpg

Soleman
10-24-2009, 03:47 PM
Hi, My name is Ed Glaser. I am a foot doc by training and now run an orthotic lab in Lyles, TN called Sole Supports. I started lecturing for Northwest Podiatry Foundation 11 years ago and they invited me to speak at their Hawaii seminar. On the way to Hawaii in 1999 I stopped in at Buffalo Brothers and bought my first Uke. It is a soprano Laravee mahogany. I bought some Lyle Ritz books and Herb Otha books and started teaching myself Uke. I already play Banjo, Guitar, fiddle, and mandolin and have a very bad case of stringed instrument acquisition syndrome. Every year I go to Hawaii and lecture on a different island and last year I went twice. On several trips I came back with a Ukulele from the islands. Now I am playing a K'aloha (I bought in Maui) and an Island Uke (I got in Kauai).
I have several others. One Koa cutaway that sounds fantastic and two I recently got from inlaidartist who sells on ebay. They are beautifully inlaid but a little dull sounding and have very high action.

Anyway, this year I discovered the UU and my playing really took off. I have gone through all of the Uke minutes, many of the lessons and now I carry a Ukulele everywhere I go. I still play some guitar and banjo but I love the Uke.

I am on my way home right now from a double island trip (Big Island and Oahu) and I am so excited.....I had the pleasure of spending most of one day with Chuck Moore on the southern tip of the Big Island. What a treat. He is a master craftsman totally dedicated to his art. I was so blown away that I commissioned a Ukulele. He actually let me pick the Koa, and he helped me design everything about the instrument. I will be on pins and needles for the next six months while he builds it. I have to thank Aldrine for this website. I have learned so much here, and I also found out about Moore Bettah Ukuleles from this site.

Mahalo, Mahalo, Mahalo
Ed

Shadow4.0
10-24-2009, 05:57 PM
Hey, my name is Stefan and Im 13...

I live on the big island, Kealakekua to be exact. Ive been playing the ukulele since 6th grade but only for about 9 months have i really started learning songs.

I know a bunch of tidbits and junk of jakes and a Gently Weeps and Shirley T...

Ive been a member of UU but i decided to start posting and stop leeching lol

Chris=]
10-26-2009, 05:38 AM
Sup, I'm Chris.
I'm thirteen years old and i've been playing for about a month.
I live in california and im Filipino.

hammockdweller
10-26-2009, 03:36 PM
This will make post number 2. I'm brand new. I'm a guy that's always loved the sound of ukes and slack key guitar. So much that listening to a slack key album a looong time ago made me move to Hawaii. There, of course, I got to see uke being played as the day-to-day music making machine of choice for lots of musicians. People in the parks and professionals on stage.

Stupidly never got into it until years later, a couple Christmases ago when my wife bought me a little red ukulele. I love her to death, and I played that uke nearly to death, but it really didn't sound very good. At all. This summer we went back to the Big Island and I bought a nice tenor Lehua. I think it's a tenor. Anyway, holy crap do I love playing this thing. Stays tuned, sounds great, looks great. Easy action, more space for my fingers even. So I've been much more into playing. Trying to work towards actually playing and singing some songs. Still just a novice strummer though. Can't pick anything yet. Some day.

I don't plan on playing less in the future. More… yes. Thought I'd sign up and let some of my surfing have a little more purpose.

jerryg
10-27-2009, 10:45 AM
Complete nooby here. Purchased an older Roy Smeck soprano at a collectible sale this past weekend. I'm 62 and determined to learn an instrument before I die... :) Got it it tuned up thanks to help on the internet and my iphone and can reliably play three cords. Not bad for an old fart. A couple of local music shops have weekend get togethers for beginner Ukulele players that I intend to join.

Landshark
10-27-2009, 03:51 PM
I am Bob, a photographer trying to find my musical roots. In the last few years I have been shooting more musical stuff and one day while buying some guitar props for an upcoming shoot, I decided I was finally going to buy myself a guitar and learn to play. Well that was a 1 and 1/2 years ago, I am still at the infant stage but having a great time. Well over this time I have managed to acquire a few guitars and while working here in Honolulu on a job again, I decided to finally buy and try a ukulele. A ukulele player friend of mine toured me town around to few stores here and I fell in love with Kanile’a Tenor Custom, had to have it.
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s39/abcphotowest/Ukearmfrt1sm.jpg

ukestang
10-27-2009, 04:14 PM
Love the site, recently joined, learning a lot. I am an old guitar player and thought I would try the uke. bought my 1st less than 2 weeks ago and am having a blast. I have an Ibanez concert cutaway mango. Seems Ibanez is new to ukes, anyone played one? I really like mine but it is the first uke I have played. anyway I'll keep lurking and check in from time to time.
Only one question, why is it always referred to as "An Ukulele" as opposed to "A Ukulele"?
Keep on Ukeing

jonbalakin
10-28-2009, 09:07 AM
Name- Jon
Where- Santa Cruz, CA to Portland, OR, soon to be Maui or Oahu!
Why- Obsessed with 4 strings and the sound of the 'Uke, stumpy fingers, wanna start band with wife
When- 2 weeks am buying 'Uke
Who- inspired by people on this website, and people on Youtube...
Influenced by- Traditional Hawaiian sounds, Hip Hop, Folk, Electronica
Music Experience- Played very little guitar, DJ'd for several years, feeling Acoustic and Analog as of yet!

Look forward to meeting, playing, and being inspired by all ya'll!!!

j

dakineVB
10-28-2009, 02:22 PM
Hi, my name is Matt and I am a student ukee player out of Virginia Beach,VA. i am here on UU to choose and learn the various ukee ways.

ohzee619
10-30-2009, 01:27 PM
what it dooo... just bought my ukulele today. a kala mohagany soprano. should be delivered by next week thursday. i cant wait.

i'm 33 yrs old, from san diego. but transplanted in the bay area... i listen to all kinds of music. never played an instrument, but i've been DJing for over 15yrs.

peace n God bless

Doctroid
10-30-2009, 03:07 PM
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s39/abcphotowest/Ukearmfrt1sm.jpg
Beauteous!

nohandles
10-31-2009, 06:11 AM
My name is Doug but I go by nohandles on the forums. I've had a Ukulele since I was 6 years old- lets see that makes 46 years phew! but only in the last 3 years have I been playing avidly. I play bluegrass, folk and anything else that strikes my fancy. My other instruments are upright, guitar, bodhran and now some south American instruments such as the chirango I love the Uke and never go to a bluegrass festival without one. In face at some festivals I known as Ukulele bluegrass. I think its the most fun and relaxing instrument there is. Hope to chat with all of you in the future- Doug

PS wish there was a group to play with in the Cleveland Ohio area

Ukulele JJ
10-31-2009, 09:54 AM
Hi Doug! Welcome!

Do you use a pick when you play bluegrass ukulele? I've been trying to manage bluegrass licks using just my fingers, but haven't had much luck.

JJ

AvaRose
10-31-2009, 11:33 PM
Bula everyone....I live in Sydney Aus and after 2 weeks in Fiji I've chucked in my 15 years of guitar and bought my first uke....a Kala KA-T. Had it for about 30 hours and loving it. Damn sure I now have a big problem on my hands after finding this forum and also MGM. Oh well my daughter seems to love my playing.
Vinaka vaka levu

nohandles
11-01-2009, 12:34 AM
Hi Doug! Welcome!

Do you use a pick when you play bluegrass ukulele? I've been trying to manage bluegrass licks using just my fingers, but haven't had much luck.

JJ

Yes I do use a pick- one of the red ones is my preferred choice. I think I got them from Bushman. -Doug

bert
11-01-2009, 01:57 PM
my name is bert, I;m from the Philippines. I started around 3mos. ago. I love the ukulele and I feel anybody is alwoys welcome here

more power uu

Professor Palmer
11-01-2009, 06:11 PM
Hey all! Just signed up and there seems to be a great community here.

I've played bass guitar for about 6 years, dabbling in guitar (my dad and brother both play). A room mate of mine had a ukulele (that he didn't know how to play! Shame!) so I picked it up and taught myself here and there. I've mostly been learning by ear and by watching chords from youtube videos.

As for me, I grew up in Houston, Tx and I'm a college student at BYU. My family is based out of Phoenix, Az now though.

I went out and bought my own Uke, but it's just a cheap Oscar Schmidt tenor. I'm sure I'll upgrade as I improve.

Great to be a part of the forums.

gnordenstam
11-02-2009, 05:33 AM
Hi Everyone - I'm a brand new Uku player. I started a week ago and haven't been able to put it down. I'm also learning mandolin and penny whistle. I started on those two instruments about three months ago. I'm having a blast playing and visiting the Ukulele Underground and Mandolin Cafe.
--Garry

stikman
11-02-2009, 07:23 AM
Hi everyone. My name is Ernie and I've had a Kala KA-T (just like AvaRose!) for about a year now. I've only played it off and on but lately, since finding UU and hooking up with some players in my area, North Carolina, I've been playing every day. I am a fledgling singer songwriter and also play guitar, bass, harmonica, and banjo. I look forward to hanging out and leaning about the uke.

ukecoolness
11-03-2009, 09:46 AM
Hello there underground people!

My name is Fernando and I'm from S&#227;o Paulo, Brazil.
I've been reading the forums for about a month now, just doing a little a little lurking and trying to soak up as much information as possible, and now I finally feel that I won't put you guys to shame, or embarass myself with my lack of knowledge about the uke world. Now I know that I can't call it the little guitar or that it makes a funny sound :p
Anyway, I've been giving guitar players around the globe a bad rep for a solid 8 years, even though I've only praticed it for half of that time, maybe even less than that. The poor thing is collecting dust for a few months now.
I figured that learning a new instrument couldn't possibly be a bad idea and could even help me out with my guitar playing, and that's how I ended up here.

I'm looking forward to learn more about this under appreciated instrument and be a part of the ukiest community on the interwebz.

PS: I still don't own a uke, but that will definitely change soon.

xmailinhx
11-03-2009, 11:02 PM
My name is Mai Linh (pronounced my lin) and I actually just moved from the Huntington Beach area out to Corona. I haven't yet started playing the ukulele, but I'm going to buy myself a Christmas present this year :P I'm really excited(:

stewkulele
11-03-2009, 11:37 PM
Hi, I'm Stewart and I'm from South East England. I've been playing for about a year now and like a lot of players on here I am self taught. I have been a member of uke underground for a while but it is only in the past few weeks that I've started using it more.
Any advice on how to improve would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :D

victor
11-04-2009, 04:49 AM
hello! i'm victor from montreal. i've had my mahalo u30 uke for about 3 years now and i tried playing it when i first got it as a gift and hated it... just couldn't deal with the action. i recently heard a cbc radio program called "the gospel according to uke" showcasing the corktown ukulele jam and i remembered my trusty old uke.
i took it out of storage, changed the strings, filed down the nut and replaced the bridge, all in the hopes of bringing down the action and improving sound a little bit. it's still off, make no mistake about it, but at least i can play it!
if i keep at it for a year, i'll reward myself with a better uke.
anyway, i heard about ukulele underground through youtube, and i'm happy to be here (thank you for the helpful resources.)

SouthernComfort
11-04-2009, 05:46 AM
Hello UUers! My name is Brian and i live in Southern Mississippi. I've played guitar and bass for most of my life. I have never really buckled down and become a solid musician. I love the sound of the uke and have for years but for some reason i was always made to believe that they had no REAL value in the music world. I started listening to some music on the net and fell in love all over again. My wife and i are expecting our first child in afew weeks so i decided to buy a uke to sing lullabys to the baby. My only problem is choosing between Concert and tenor :)

kluson
11-04-2009, 08:17 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm Dave from Hampshire Uk.
been playing guitar for a long time, classic Rock , and Blues and also resonator slide ( beginner), I've always wanted a ukulele ever since I used to stare at them in the local music shop when I was a kid,

looks like I've found a whole lot of help here
thanks
Dave

beeploop
11-05-2009, 05:51 AM
Hello! My name is Christopher from Cebu, Philippines. I just played the Uke for about 4 months and my Uke is a junk costs only $2. So I joined some contests here hoping to get a new Uke.

P.S. by the way, Cebu Philippines has so many Luthiers and Guitar Factories. Maybe I'll buy a better Uke one of these days and show it here.

Ahnko Honu
11-05-2009, 06:15 AM
Hello! My name is Christopher from Cebu, Philippines. I just played the Uke for about 4 months and my Uke is a junk costs only $2. So I joined some contests here hoping to get a new Uke.

P.S. by the way, Cebu Philippines has so many Luthiers and Guitar Factories. Maybe I'll buy a better Uke one of these days and show it here.

E komo mai (welcome) Christopher, I believe the Mele 'ukuleles finished and sold here in Hawai'i originate in Cebu. They are wonderful instruments and if you find which luthier makes the Mele you will have a nice 'ukulele at a great price.
My Dad was in the US Army Amphibious Engineers (Army's navy) during WWII and spent some time running supplies to guerrilla fighters up & down the coasts of Cebu, Leyte, and Luzon. He always admired the courage of Filipinos.

alexfredz
11-05-2009, 08:12 AM
Hii im alexandra and i just got my first ukulele and i have no idea how to play but im so excited to learn!!!!

NewMexicoDawG
11-05-2009, 08:16 AM
Hii im alexandra and i just got my first ukulele and i have no idea how to play but im so excited to learn!!!!
Congrats and enjoy your ukulele I cant keep my hands off mine:)
heres a easy song
http://www.ukulele-tabs.com/uke-songs/jason-mraz/i-m-yours-uke-tab-11804.html
Welcome To UU:)

Ahnko Honu
11-05-2009, 09:08 AM

E komo mai Alex. Make sure you check out these guys if you already haven't, great tutorials on 'ukulele.
http://www.youtube.com/user/MusicTeacher2009
http://www.youtube.com/user/easyukulele
http://www.youtube.com/user/ukuleleoversoul

Playscool39
11-05-2009, 12:48 PM

Welcome Beeploop! I'm from the Visayas too. Most of my family live on Leyte.
Let me know if you find a good shop on Cebu.

Yan Yalego
11-06-2009, 07:15 AM
Here I am, actually half of me...

ME (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Plx7nzaXjE)

I'm french, but I wear a hat
I'm bald, but...
I play the uke, but...
I sing and trumpet mouth, but...

Ahnko Honu
11-06-2009, 09:32 AM
Here I am, actually half of me...

ME (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Plx7nzaXjE)

I'm french, but I wear a hat
I'm bald, but...
I play the uke, but...
I sing and trumpet mouth, but...

E komo mai Yan, Nice to have you here. I'm one of your Youtube subscribers and long time fan. What part of France you in? I have a sister in Drancy outside of Paris. Looking forward to seeing you on the B&H 'ukulele safari. ;)

Kaisei
11-06-2009, 10:36 AM
Originally from North Shore / Windward side... Kaneohe, Kahalu'u, Kaaawa to be exact... Kahuku grad... Now stuck in the middle of a desert with no ocean in site, Phoenix, AZ. Big difference from growing up across the street from the beach... Just getting back into the Uke scene, Its been a while...

bazmaz
11-06-2009, 11:07 AM
dammit - I always miss these introduce threads, and just dive in to the posting.

Therefore, having already posted, set up a profile, set up an album, posted a video, and joined some societies.... I should get round to this.

UK based Fairly new Uke player here. Been playing guitars (mainly acoustic) for 20 years, never trained, cant read music, just for fun with friends.

About 18 months ago decided to go with the Ukulele thang - bought the ubiquitous Mahalo £15 Uke on ebay and thought it was horrible.

Moved up immediately and splashed out on a Flea which I love.

Have recently acquired a Mainland Concert as I was hankering for a warmer sound, and I think it is the bees knees.

Strangely, I have dug out the Mahalo, and the £20 Vintage, and the £40 Lanikai I also seemed to acquire, and have grown kind of attached to their clunky sounds. I now have the Flea and the Mainland in cases in my living room for playing proper or gigging. The house has two bathrooms, and (please dont laugh) I have the Mahalo in one and the Vintage in the other. I kind of figure that me, or perhaps guests, when "sitting" in the smallest rooms may want to have a tinkle (if you get my drift). I have a post it note on the Mahalo in the downstairs loo saying "PLAY ME". The Lanikai is in the bedroom for morning Ukulele goodness. Please feel free to tell me I am mad, but I like the "Uke in every room in the house" approach. Next, one for the kitchen.... Oh, did I say, my two eldest children also have one each?

As you can tell, and well and truly bitten. I like to play a real old mix of old standards (eg Tonight You Belong To Me, Aint She Sweet, 5 Foot Two) through to Uke versions of modern stuff - really like playing Radiohead, Fiona Apple, Flaming Lips....)

Love this instrument. In the last couple of months by guitars havent had a look in, and when jamming in the pub with friends have started taking the Uke, not the guitar!

Cheers all!

Paisa
11-06-2009, 01:50 PM
Ok my name is Elian but they call me Paisa which stands for a "simple" person or whatever dont know how to explain it :P

I live in S America (Argentina), been "playing" the guitar for almost 2 years but I took lessons for the first 3 months only.. so my theory kinda sucks and technique is self taught so go figure..

But I enjoy music a lot and I'm getting into it again..

Anyway so I listened to IZ a few months ago and got in love with the Uke.. so when I got some money on Paypal I started looking around, found this community and joined. Now my Uke is on the way here hopefully so I'm gonna try to get decent at it. There are absolutely no shops here that will sell a Uke so I got to buy mine from Ebay (MGM). I'd love to be able to play with some friends at the beach or something :) So that's it. Bye. Lol :P

Doctroid
11-06-2009, 02:54 PM
The house has two bathrooms, and (please dont laugh) I have the Mahalo in one and the Vintage in the other. I kind of figure that me, or perhaps guests, when "sitting" in the smallest rooms may want to have a tinkle (if you get my drift). I have a post it note on the Mahalo in the downstairs loo saying "PLAY ME".

I like it, but does the humidity after a hot shower cause trouble?

ukulelechef
11-06-2009, 07:17 PM
Greetings UU community. I just recently joined UU this summer. I've been just viewing the posts and asking a few questions here and there. I thought it a good time to introduce myself. I fell in love with the ukulele about 11 years ago after a trip to Hawaii. I wanted to bring a piece of paradise back home here in California so I bought an ukulele. One became 2, then 3, then...a serious case of UAS. My first Uke was a pineapple Kamaka bought in '98. Then dived right in and bought a Kawika 5-string concert in '99 (that's my avatar). Bought a few more (Fluke, old vintage forgot the name, others) then sold. I went to Hawaii in 2001 and went to the G-string factory and bought a soprano with a cedar top (that is one bad-a** uke! love that one). Recently went to the big Island this summer and picked up my first tenor, a Kanile'a. Been playing off and on for those years, but never got too serious. Don't know much about music theory. Just know chords and some light finger-picking. Just jammin with friends and family mostly. I would play for a while, then life hits and I gotta put it away for a while. Now I've been thinking about elevating myself from "beginner" status and really learn how to play! This forum has helped out a lot. Love this forum!! I learn a lot from all the boards. Went recently to the Ukulele Festival here in Cerritos, CA. I didn't even know that there was one right in my backyard. Looking forward to being a part of this family. Thanks all!!

Joseph

ukeobsessed23
11-07-2009, 06:01 AM
Hi I'm Katie, I'm 14 and I'm from the UK. I first picked up a ukulele around 6 months ago and haven't been able to put it down since! :D I started playing the uke when an after-school club for learning to play was set up at my school. I also play the flute, piccolo and piano. Welcome to all the other new members here! :)

Thegooseman
11-07-2009, 01:32 PM
Hello everyone,

My names Kenneth, 16, Filipino born and raised in California, I bought my first Ukulele about 8 Months ago and I'm having a blast so far.

I've been checking out UU for a long time, watching alot of the videos, but after reading a few post recently, I can see that this fourm is so friendly and supportive, I had to sign up!

It's nice to meet you all.
- Kenneth

Carson Bailey
11-08-2009, 11:04 AM
I am a "new" member and proud to also represent INDY. So, I am wanting to make acquaintences and learn from the "Seniors and Juniors" cause everyone has something to offer (potentially) I have played the Uke for three months (after 30 years of guitar gigging in Indy) I bought a Kala soprano (long neck) love it so much... I asked Santa to bring me the big brother Kala (concert) Same scale as the "SLNG" I would like to extend my thanx to everyone keeping this (UU) operating, members, staff and visitors etc. Have a great week coming up and check out the Town Meeting on Tuesday Nov. 10th, I'll be there too! ~ Carson