Pineapple Sunday - favorite strings?

Uke-lahoma

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Pineapple Sunday, and I'm interested to find out from other PS owners what their favorite strings are for this uke, and why.

My PS came with clear flourocarbon strings, but I see that the PS pictured on the KoAloha PS page looks like it has Worth Brown strings.

Your thoughts? Thanks!

When I bought mine in 2007, the Pineapple Sunday came strung with Worth BL (Brown Light). I experimented with Worth CT's at one point but switched back to BL's because I thought it sounded the best. Before I bought mine I had read that Papa KoAloha tried all kinds of strings and decided on Worth BL's, which are actually meant for sopranos, for the P.S. because he thought it was the best match. I guess either that's no longer true, or KoAloha got a lower cost string supplier.

KoAloha has developed their own string now. It is similiar to the worth clears I have been told. I have worth clears on my koaloha concert and the koaloha strings on my sceptre.

I've been wondering the same thing. I am currently in the "saving" mode for my Pineapple Sunday and was wondering what strings were best and for what size (concert, soprano, etc.).

I would also like a few opinions from PS owners on what they think of the instrument. I do mostly strumming (which I thought was unsuitable for the PS, until I saw Victoria Vox play, now I know I'm wrong about that). What are your opinions of it vs other ukes in the $900 range (I will be buying mine from a dealer for that price which is why I ask how it compares to other 900s instead of 1200s or 1500s). :anyone:

Thanks!

P.S. I have always used Aquila strings on my ukes. Is that a no-no for the PS? Seems like the consensus is Worths, either Clears or BLs.

I've been wondering the same thing. I am currently in the "saving" mode for my Pineapple Sunday and was wondering what strings were best and for what size (concert, soprano, etc.).

I would also like a few opinions from PS owners on what they think of the instrument. I do mostly strumming (which I thought was unsuitable for the PS, until I saw Victoria Vox play, now I know I'm wrong about that). What are your opinions of it vs other ukes in the $900 range (I will be buying mine from a dealer for that price which is why I ask how it compares to other 900s instead of 1200s or 1500s). :anyone:

Thanks!

P.S. I have always used Aquila strings on my ukes. Is that a no-no for the PS? Seems like the consensus is Worths, either Clears or BLs.

$900 for a P.S. is a great deal and hard to pass up. But if it's going to be your main uke, I think I would suggest a Kamaka or Kanile'a tenor for a more well rounded sound. By that I mean a sound that could work better for a wider range of music. The P.S. sounds great, but it's pretty unique, and may not be as good for certain music as a more traditional ukulele (I don't really know of any good example of this though). Of course, if you can actually play them before you buy, you can make the best decision about that.

As for strings, you should try them all and see what works for you the best. Just because I like Worth BL's on it the best doesn't mean it is for anyone else.

KoAloha has developed their own string now. It is similiar to the worth clears I have been told. I have worth clears on my koaloha concert and the koaloha strings on my sceptre.

Oh, so that's what they were when I played a jumbo soprano (soprano neck with a concert body) KoAloha at the SoCalUkeFest. Those strings are pretty amazing. They really stand out from a lot of the other strings. I was really tempted to buy a KoAloha, but I wanted something a little more striking in terms of looks. Blame the designer sense in me.

oh geez...

$900 for a P.S. is a great deal and hard to pass up. But if it's going to be your main uke, I think I would suggest a Kamaka or Kanile'a tenor for a more well rounded sound. By that I mean a sound that could work better for a wider range of music. The P.S. sounds great, but it's pretty unique, and may not be as good for certain music as a more traditional ukulele (I don't really know of any good example of this though). Of course, if you can actually play them before you buy, you can make the best decision about that.

As for strings, you should try them all and see what works for you the best. Just because I like Worth BL's on it the best doesn't mean it is for anyone else.

Just when I thought I had my mind made up, you had to go on and tell me this. I think I agree though. I got to play some KoAloha & Kanile'a Tenors, as well as a Kanile'a Super Concert, which I really liked. I think he wants 800ish for the Kanile'a SC-1.

I guess my reasoning behind going with the PS is that I will be able to sell it for just as much, if not more, if I decide that I dont like it. I am going to the shop on Monday and playing around on it for awhile to see what I truly think. The guy already told me that if I buy it and end up not liking it, he would trade it back for one of the K brands in that price range. So I pretty much can't go wrong by buying it and giving it a shot.

You're right about the unique sound though, I'm not sure how much I'll like it. Unfortunately (since I'm not a very good player) it will be hard for me to really tell how much I like it without spending night after night playing it. Which just isn't possible at the shop. I kinda like the higher pitched sound of it though, so we shall see. :shaka:

Just a bump for this old thread...anyone else out there have an opinion on the best PS strings?

I have a set of Worth BLs and a set of Worth CTs to try out this weekend, but I'm curious as to what everyone else (who has not already responded) felt was best on their PS.

For the rest of you who aren't PS fanboys or fangirls, sorry to bump another PS thread, you guys must be sick of seeing people talking about them now.:eek:

CM's, but I just bought some CL's to try.

I have Worth Clear 63in CT's on my basically everything. Not sure what that means for tension, but I think they're medium tension. HOWEVER, I do have Worth Browns on my KoAloha Superconcert, and I can tell you that it sounds awesome with it. On my Pineapple Sunday, it has the Clears, and after the strings settled in, I think it sounds pretty good. Not as full and rich as the superconcert, but then again, I did have the already smaller PS body stuffed with electronics, so it's not a fair fight. I'm probably not going to try worth browns for a long while, since I still have a small stash of Clears at home.

I can also say that the stock KoAloha flouracarbons on it were very similar to the Worths that I have on now. But I'd say the worths are a 20% improvement in warmth and richness.

I switched over to Fremont Black Line strings on my PS, and I love them. I feel that the KoAloha strings were a bit shrill or twangy, but the Black Lines are more mellow.

CM's, but I just bought some CL's to try.

Hey how did those CL strings work out for you? I just ordered some CL and some CM strings from MGM. I am currently using the BL as a I like their feel a lot more than that of the CTs I had tried earlier. I think when the strings arrive I will try the CL ones first, as I like that light feel, but most people seem to advocate for the CM strings on a PS so I was curious as to how your comparison went.

I haven't put them on yet Staci, so I guess you will be able to tell me how they sound. I'm just not much of a string changer. I did get some of the KoAloha Blacks so that some day I will try them, on the KoAloha "Fatboy" soprano. This time of year is always our busiest, so time is kind of a hard to come by for the pleasures of life. But on the flip side vacation is coming in May (Big Island).

and your mailbox is full.

Last edited:
I've been pondering using Fremont Blacklines on my PS. I really love the way they have sounded on some of my other ukes (Flea).

I have an extra set I need to try... I like these strings a lot, but the stock (KoAloha) strings sound really nice already.

Cheers,
Skottoman

Top Bottom