Mainland Bari Pics up!

RevWill

Reaction score
Mike put up pics of the new Mainland mahogany Baritone today.

BARITONE3.jpg

:drool::iwant::drool:

Man they still got the position dot at the wrong fret (9th instead of 10th). That was an issue on the Bushman baritones. I'm surprised that it's still that way. I know they usually put it at the 9th fret on guitars, but just about all ukes have it on the 10th if I'm not mistaken.

Man they still got the position dot at the wrong fret (9th instead of 10th). That was an issue on the Bushman baritones. I'm surprised that it's still that way. I know they usually put it at the 9th fret on guitars, but just about all ukes have it on the 10th if I'm not mistaken.

Yeah, that is a big turn off for me too. I hate playing the guitar sometimes for that reason alone! Way too confusing for me....

I don't want to sound like a snob, but after a lot of playing you should get used to where the frets are without position markers.

I guess the pos marker is at the wrong fret because the Chinese don't "make" instruments, they just "copy" them. They probably have never thought about what a pos marker is for and just copied its position from a guitar... This is a typical "copying error".

I play guitar and also have a Bushman Baritone and never noticed it. In fact if I wasn't so lazy I'd go downstairs and check. The Bushman is the one I perform with so you would think I would notice. For me having two less strings is way more of an issue. On the ukes I make I always put on side markers, a lot easier to see if needed.

Wrong according to who?
I'm not a baritone player, To me, they are more like a guitar.
I guess that's because they are big and tuned like a guitar.
Most people who buy and play baritones also play guitar, so why should the fret dots be for a ukulele?

Wrong according to who?
Most people who buy and play baritones also play guitar, so why should the fret dots be for a ukulele?

I'm not a baritone player either, but as a ukulele player, the only ukulele I've ever handled that had a dot in that vicinity (some does not have a dot at 10th fret) that's not on the 10th is the Bushman baritone. I guess maybe baritones should have that dot on the 9th fret (I do believe other makes have it at 10 - correct me if I'm wrong), but since it's being called a ukulele, I just thought it should have more in common with most ukuleles, which has a dot at the 10th fret (or no dot at the 10th). I'm not good enough where I don't need the dots, so having it at an unfamiliar spot would screw me up a little.

Anyway, I not trying to be negative, but I was just pointing out that having the dot on the 9th fret would be a major turn off for me had I been in the market for a baritone. The uke otherwise looks great to me.

Wrong according to who?

Mike, you are absolutely right and that is why lots of baritones have the dots in those locations. It helps when guitarists play "up the neck". Why not stick with the conventional "guitar location" when it's tuned like a guitar.

OK now, please enlighten the lesser ninjas among us: WHY is the positioning of that dot different on a guitar and an ukulele?

I surmise it has something to do with tuning, the interval between the open string notes, or something like that, but giving away too much of my inner rambling self will bring to light that I still cannot find the right notes on the fretboard even after one and a half years of playtime. So sitting on my knees with my forehead to the ground, please, enlighten me.

I'm a guitar player that is starting on the Uke. I bought a Baritone Pono and the dots are on the 5m 7m 10 and 12.

I MUCH PREFER THE WAY MAINLAND IS DOING IT...

if I had only known.....

david

I find it interesting that we have markers at all since neither the cavaquinho or traditional Spanish guitars, which would have had a lot of influence on the uke, don't have them.

--Mark

I've been thinking about the "wrong" position marker... it's probably not really THAT important. And I'd also love to have one of these Mainland baris :drool: (pos marker yes or no)!!

However, I really consider a Baritone Ukulele to be an ukulele rather than a guitar. (As a passionate ukulele player, it's important for me to distinguish strongly between a guitar, "a little guitar" and an ukulele!!)

Do you know this situation:
"Oh, he's playing a little guitar... how cute!!" <--- Argh!! :eek:

I think in a situation like this, a little position maker at the right spot can make a difference. ;)

Top Bottom