Question about a Fluke vs a Tenor...

Reaction score
Hi, this may be a really dumb question. I have a Fluke concert and I find myself wanting a Tenor ukulele. I keep trying to talk myself out of it because I suppose I don't NEED another ukulele. I have been looking at Kala Tenors varying in price, trying to decide if I really want to bite the bullet and do it. What I am wondering is this. Is there going to be that much of a difference in sound? From what I understand the Flukes are kind of odd and the size difference between a concert and a tenor may not be all that I dreamed? Would I have more fun with a soprano? It's just a lot of money for us to spend if it's not going to be a significant difference. Unfortunately I live in a tiny town in Northern AZ with no one to sell a ukulele in sight, so I can't get my hands on a tenor and try it out.
Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Kelly

sounds like a case of uas. a soprano might be fun for your next one.

Give us the name of your town. There might be a seasoned UUer within a relatively close proximity with tons of ukes you could try on for size.

If you want a new uke with a different sound from your concert, I'd go for a soprano. Maybe even put it up in d-tuning ;)

Hi, this may be a really dumb question. I have a Fluke concert and I find myself wanting a Tenor ukulele. I keep trying to talk myself out of it because I suppose I don't NEED another ukulele. I have been looking at Kala Tenors varying in price, trying to decide if I really want to bite the bullet and do it. What I am wondering is this. Is there going to be that much of a difference in sound? From what I understand the Flukes are kind of odd and the size difference between a concert and a tenor may not be all that I dreamed? Would I have more fun with a soprano? It's just a lot of money for us to spend if it's not going to be a significant difference. Unfortunately I live in a tiny town in Northern AZ with no one to sell a ukulele in sight, so I can't get my hands on a tenor and try it out.
Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Kelly

I have a Flea concert, which I love, but I'd have to say that the tone is quite a bit different from my wooden ukuleles (softer, warmer, more plasticky...I mean "plasticky" in a good way.) I don't think you need to worry about the difference not being worth your money, because whatever size wooden ukulele you get (soprano, tenor, whatever), it's going to be quite a bit different from the sound you get from your Fluke. Not necessarily better or worse, but definitely different.

I love the difference between the flea and my mahogany soprano...the wooden uke is punchier, crisper, and brighter, while the flea has a much fatter, rounder tone. Both are great at what they do...

Happy hunting!

Thank you for your replies. I think I am suffering from UAS. I really love my Fluke, I just think it would be fun to have a "normal" looking ukulele, and I really love what artists like Ingrid Michaelson are doing so I was looking into a Tenor.
I live in Williams, AZ. I am not even sure the great Metro Phoenix area has a good Ukulele place anywhere in proximity. I have had my ukulele for about 7 years and just really picked it up and started playing this year. I love it.

Hey it's another Arizonan! Cool.

Seems like there would be somewhere in Flagstaff that would at least have a tenor uke or two. I just did a quick search and found this place:

www.azmusicpro.com

They have some ukes listed on their website at least.

If you want to make the trip down to Phoenix you're welcome to try a couple of my tenors. I have a soprano that you could try too.

I have been meaning to get over there for weeks actually, That's good to know they do at least carry some. I will try to stop by there this weekend and see what I can find out. Thanks! :)

If you've got a fluke concert, you're going to hear and feel a HUGE difference between that and a tenor made of wood. The plastic back and sides, and the unusual construction of the fluke gives it a very different tone than a more traditional shaped uke made of wood. I'd describe the tenor sound as more round and warm than the fluke sound. The neck will also feel different, because most other makers won't use that neck profile that you find on a fluke.

Go out and buy that tenor!

You could try low g for a different sound.

Thanks again

I did go to the music store here in town, all they had were Fender ukulele's and none of them were tuned. It was kind of sad. I think I will poke around and see if I can get a good deal on something.
Thanks again everybody you are very nice!

I am buying one!

I am buying a tenor from somebody on this site. I am very excited about it. Thanks for all of your help!
Kelly

Check out Musicguymic on ebay. He will take good care of you. The reviews of him are outstanding, great prices, service and set up. Plus he is one of us!!! A fellow UUer:)

Got to agree Musicguymic is Da Bes! I love the Makala Tenor I got from him a month or so ago.

Top Bottom