PDA

View Full Version : D Chord For A Noob

mangorockfish
10-08-2009, 05:36 PM
Is the three fingers on the 2nd fret the preferred method of making a D or are there other just as accepted ways? I have short chubby fingers and it gets pretty crowded on that 2nd fret in a hurry. Help!

LazyPancakes
10-08-2009, 05:40 PM
ahh for me it was awkward having to use three fingers so I just bar the second fret and bend my finger enough so that the A string is mute. For most of the songs you cant tell the difference. To me it also sounds cleaner.

mangorockfish
10-08-2009, 05:52 PM
That's so much easier. Thanks

Spooner
10-08-2009, 06:47 PM
Some people use one finger to hold down the g and c string and another to hold down the e...or any combination therein.

There's always D7 too. ;)

DaveVisi
10-08-2009, 07:07 PM
You also have a full barre and pinky on the A string fifth fret. Sounds tough, but it's easier than the three finger thing, especially if you use your second finger to reinforce your index finger during the barre.

HoldinCoffee
10-08-2009, 09:51 PM
I normally use the bar however I recently noticed a guitarist squeezing his three fingers on the second fret in a g chord shape... but it wasn't a d chord for him, it was an a chord but that's irrelevant.... anyhoot, your index finger would be on the g string, ring finger on the c, and middle finger on the e string.

Danuke
10-09-2009, 01:56 AM
I use three fingers but I use index on c string, middle on g, and ring on e. Don't know why just feels easier to me.

Ukulele JJ
10-09-2009, 02:31 AM
The moral of the story?

No, there's no "preferred" way to play a D chord. Whatever works for you.

JJ

idDobie
10-09-2009, 04:05 AM
Sometimes I play the D chord with the same fingering as a Bb, but starting on the fifth fret (G string - 7th fret, C String - 6th fret, E string - 5th fret, A string - 5th fret) You know... if your fingers are down that way.

sukie
10-09-2009, 04:16 AM
The moral of the story?

No, there's no "preferred" way to play a D chord. Whatever works for you.

JJ

that, and practice!:)

djny
10-09-2009, 04:56 AM
I use my middle finger for all three and angle my hand to clear the a string. I have short fingers.

Doctroid
10-09-2009, 05:48 AM
that, and practice!:)

Oh, well, if you're gonna CHEAT...

Boozelele
10-09-2009, 09:24 AM
Some people use one finger to hold down the g and c string and another to hold down the e...or any combination therein.

I thought I was the only one to do this. I've even been mocked for it...but at least I'm not using my thumb.

Bluke
10-09-2009, 10:29 AM
Bar the lower three strings with your index finger and place your pinky on the first string fifth fret. 2225. It's called a long A. And, you should learn to use the three finger in a row method dicussed above, leaving the first string open. It's correct and allows your pinky to do a lot of moves to embellish the A chord.

GrumpyCoyote
10-09-2009, 10:42 AM
Like Bluke said - My favorite D voicing is 2225. I barre the second fret with my first finger and drop my pinkie on the A string at the fourth.

This also makes a nice movable form - for example, just move it up to 4447 and you have a painless E. In my opinion, it's one of the basic movable shapes every uke player needs.

In addition, it let's you just drop a finger for a 7th - for example 2223 is a nice D7, and only one easy move from 2225. This gives you some basic, but expressive tricks, particularly in blues, just by switching one finger.

If I REALLY need that open A for some numbers, then I just go back to a 2220 by lifting my barre off the bottom string only.

Works for me.

whetu
10-10-2009, 12:35 AM
Like Bluke said - My favorite D voicing is 2225. I barre the second fret with my first finger and drop my pinkie on the A string at the fourth.

This also makes a nice movable form - for example, just move it up to 4447 and you have a painless E. In my opinion, it's one of the basic movable shapes every uke player needs.

seconded (or thirded?)

Ukuleleblues
10-10-2009, 03:30 AM
Is the three fingers on the 2nd fret the preferred method of making a D or are there other just as accepted ways? I have short chubby fingers and it gets pretty crowded on that 2nd fret in a hurry. Help!

I use two the pointer and middle, and cover all three with fat fingers. .

Brown
10-13-2009, 07:05 AM
I normally use the bar however I recently noticed a guitarist squeezing his three fingers on the second fret in a g chord shape... but it wasn't a d chord for him, it was an a chord but that's irrelevant.... anyhoot, your index finger would be on the g string, ring finger on the c, and middle finger on the e string.

Are you talking about Justin from Justin guitar? I still use that method for my A on guitar and D on ukulele. I use more of a G7 shape though.

I put my pointer finger on C string 2nd fret, Middle finger G string 2nd fret then ring finger E string 2nd fret, helps me fit my stubby fingers in there plus all strings ring fine. I recommend this or some songs I'll play D with barring the 2nd fret then pinky on 5th fret, all depends on the song though.

molokinirum
10-13-2009, 10:24 AM

In addition, it let's you just drop a finger for a 7th - for example 2223 is a nice D7, and only one easy move from 2225. This gives you some basic, but expressive tricks, particularly in blues, just by switching one finger.

If I REALLY need that open A for some numbers, then I just go back to a 2220 by lifting my barre off the bottom string only.

Works for me.

That is what I do!:agree:

retrozombi
10-13-2009, 10:44 AM
Bar the lower three strings with your index finger and place your pinky on the first string fifth fret. 2225.

...That really should have occurred to me a lot sooner. That's just the C shape moved up two frets. Is there a head-slapping emoticon?

sukie
10-13-2009, 10:55 AM
Is there a head-slapping emoticon?

that'd be a great one.

Blrfl
10-13-2009, 11:00 AM
Stolen from my other site: 2961

--Mark

ihavenotea
10-13-2009, 12:43 PM

[…]

I do the opposite. I use my index finger to barre 2220 for my stock D chord. I will typically land my pinky for 2225 when ending songs in D.

I like the way I can quickly move through D A G progressions with this fingering as the G and A are quite accessible from this position.

UkuleleHill
10-13-2009, 04:21 PM
I use three fingers but I use index on c string, middle on g, and ring on e. Don't know why just feels easier to me.

:agree: That's what I did when I first started on my first uke!

ihavenotea
10-16-2009, 07:01 AM
I do the opposite. I use my index finger to barre 2220 for my stock D chord. I will typically land my pinky for 2225 when ending songs in D.

I like the way I can quickly move through D A G progressions with this fingering as the G and A are quite accessible from this position.

I must not have had much coffee when I wrote that.

I use my middle finger to barre 2220 (slightly lifting toward the palm to avoid the A string). This is the position that has an easy pivot to the A and slide to the G.

brickerenator
10-16-2009, 07:05 AM
Currently I use my index finger to cover the GCE strings

switching to D7 is as simple as laying down your index to bar the 2nd fret, and then hitting the A string on the 3rd fret with the middle finger

Lori
10-16-2009, 07:13 AM
I use this method too. A leftover from my guitar training. For the uke, it can make an easy transition between the a non-barred D and a non-barred G chord. I was never very good with barre chords that skip strings.

–Lori