D Chord For A Noob

mangorockfish

Reaction score
Is the three fingers on the 2nd fret the preferred method of making a D or are there other just as accepted ways? I have short chubby fingers and it gets pretty crowded on that 2nd fret in a hurry. Help!

ahh for me it was awkward having to use three fingers so I just bar the second fret and bend my finger enough so that the A string is mute. For most of the songs you cant tell the difference. To me it also sounds cleaner.

Some people use one finger to hold down the g and c string and another to hold down the e...or any combination therein.

There's always D7 too. ;)

You also have a full barre and pinky on the A string fifth fret. Sounds tough, but it's easier than the three finger thing, especially if you use your second finger to reinforce your index finger during the barre.

I normally use the bar however I recently noticed a guitarist squeezing his three fingers on the second fret in a g chord shape... but it wasn't a d chord for him, it was an a chord but that's irrelevant.... anyhoot, your index finger would be on the g string, ring finger on the c, and middle finger on the e string.

Last edited:
I use three fingers but I use index on c string, middle on g, and ring on e. Don't know why just feels easier to me.

The moral of the story?

No, there's no "preferred" way to play a D chord. Whatever works for you.

JJ

Sometimes I play the D chord with the same fingering as a Bb, but starting on the fifth fret (G string - 7th fret, C String - 6th fret, E string - 5th fret, A string - 5th fret) You know... if your fingers are down that way.

I use my middle finger for all three and angle my hand to clear the a string. I have short fingers.

Some people use one finger to hold down the g and c string and another to hold down the e...or any combination therein.

I thought I was the only one to do this. I've even been mocked for it...but at least I'm not using my thumb.

Bar the lower three strings with your index finger and place your pinky on the first string fifth fret. 2225. It's called a long A. And, you should learn to use the three finger in a row method dicussed above, leaving the first string open. It's correct and allows your pinky to do a lot of moves to embellish the A chord.

Like Bluke said - My favorite D voicing is 2225. I barre the second fret with my first finger and drop my pinkie on the A string at the fourth.

This also makes a nice movable form - for example, just move it up to 4447 and you have a painless E. In my opinion, it's one of the basic movable shapes every uke player needs.

In addition, it let's you just drop a finger for a 7th - for example 2223 is a nice D7, and only one easy move from 2225. This gives you some basic, but expressive tricks, particularly in blues, just by switching one finger.

If I REALLY need that open A for some numbers, then I just go back to a 2220 by lifting my barre off the bottom string only.

Works for me.

Last edited:
Like Bluke said - My favorite D voicing is 2225. I barre the second fret with my first finger and drop my pinkie on the A string at the fourth.

This also makes a nice movable form - for example, just move it up to 4447 and you have a painless E. In my opinion, it's one of the basic movable shapes every uke player needs.

seconded (or thirded?)

I normally use the bar however I recently noticed a guitarist squeezing his three fingers on the second fret in a g chord shape... but it wasn't a d chord for him, it was an a chord but that's irrelevant.... anyhoot, your index finger would be on the g string, ring finger on the c, and middle finger on the e string.

Are you talking about Justin from Justin guitar? I still use that method for my A on guitar and D on ukulele. I use more of a G7 shape though.

I put my pointer finger on C string 2nd fret, Middle finger G string 2nd fret then ring finger E string 2nd fret, helps me fit my stubby fingers in there plus all strings ring fine. I recommend this or some songs I'll play D with barring the 2nd fret then pinky on 5th fret, all depends on the song though.

In addition, it let's you just drop a finger for a 7th - for example 2223 is a nice D7, and only one easy move from 2225. This gives you some basic, but expressive tricks, particularly in blues, just by switching one finger.

If I REALLY need that open A for some numbers, then I just go back to a 2220 by lifting my barre off the bottom string only.

Works for me.

That is what I do!:agree:

Bar the lower three strings with your index finger and place your pinky on the first string fifth fret. 2225.

...That really should have occurred to me a lot sooner. That's just the C shape moved up two frets. Is there a head-slapping emoticon?

Top Bottom