Painting a Ukulele?

UkeMan09

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm pretty sure this question fits in this category, if not, I'm sorry. Anyways, I currently have this ukulele:

http://www.amazon.com/Hilo-2652-Uku...cal-instruments&qid=1255056903&sr=8-1-catcorr

It's pretty cheap, but my dad said he didn't want to spend a lot of money if I didn't like it. Okay so I wanted to know if I could paint it a different color, and if so, what paint/brushes/etc. should I use? I just want to give it a little something unique :). Thanks in advance!

-UM

How about a decal instead. I know it's not an expensive uke, but I agree with CFG, leave the wood alone. A coat of paint can change the sound of the uke. Wood is good. If you want a colored uke, save another 50 dollars and get a Makala from MGM.

A thin coat of paint will not hurt the sound of your uke. I've used those tiny tins of enamel that are sold for painting small plastic model airplanes. Have you seen this? :- http://paintedukuleles.com/theukuleles.html

Mandy (Moogly Moo) is a friend of mine. Her work might give you some inspiration.

Ukantor.

Hey guys, I'm pretty sure this question fits in this category, if not, I'm sorry. Anyways, I currently have this ukulele:

http://www.amazon.com/Hilo-2652-Uku...cal-instruments&qid=1255056903&sr=8-1-catcorr

It's pretty cheap, but my dad said he didn't want to spend a lot of money if I didn't like it. Okay so I wanted to know if I could paint it a different color, and if so, what paint/brushes/etc. should I use? I just want to give it a little something unique :). Thanks in advance!

-UM

Personally, I'd learn to play it first, then if you still want to, paint it on up.

A thin coat of paint will not hurt the sound of your uke. I've used those tiny tins of enamel that are sold for painting small plastic model airplanes. Have you seen this? :- http://paintedukuleles.com/theukuleles.html

Mandy (Moogly Moo) is a friend of mine. Her work might give you some inspiration.

Ukantor.

I had to click off that link real quick...I felt my blood pressure going up seeing all that wood with paint on it. If it sounds like a personal problem, that's because it is:D

save up and get a flea or fluke, they got neat designs. Or I know a guy that does some excellent cigar box painting. You are however, going to have to pay for it.

i've had luck with ordinary spraypaint on a cheap $10 tourist uke i bought in hawaii. i sanded it down, taped up the bridge and fretboard, spraypainted it gold, sprayed some clear coat on top of that. it came out fine and didn't affect the sound (the sound of a $10 uke that is). but it is still playable.

Laquers a kind of paint so is varnish/oil and Shellac, the only none paint finish is, wax, or Burnished.

Ukantor.

:agree:

I'm a little torn on this one. I would really agree that nothing you do to a $10 instrument would really hurt it much. On the other hand I really like the all natural, all wood look - and this is the style of instrument that we normally build.

I did have a few :eek: OMG moments looking through Moogly Moo's gallery of painted ukuleles. Not because I am fundamentally opposed to the painting of instruments, but because what's hidden underneath some of the paintings is Brüko solid flamed maple or Brüko solid mahogany.

If I wanted to paint an instrument, I would look for one with discolorations, mismatched grains and colors, etc. and go at it. We have several sheets of sapele that have some weird color stains and I don't see why we should throw them away - we might as well use them and then paint the instruments.

No flame, just my two Abe Lincolns for you :2cents:

Erich

Mandy (Moogly Moo) painted a uke that I had made. I was very proud of that uke. I knew it was destined to be painted, but it looked so attractive in its natural wood finish. I must admit I had a few qualms. When I saw the result of Mandy's work, all my misgivings disappeared. It was a commission for someone who knew exactly what she wanted, and Mandy and I gave her just that.

There are hundreds of thousands of lovely natural wood finished ukes in the world, a few beautifully painted ones are a bonus.

Ukantor.

There are hundreds of thousands of lovely natural wood finished ukes in the world, a few beautifully painted ones are a bonus.

Indeed! Looking at Mandy's and Amy Crehore's work we see how you can get art and music appreciation all in one. Not just a musical instrument that looks cool, but a painting that sounds good.

Erich

Indeed! Looking at Mandy's and Amy Crehore's work we see how you can get art and music appreciation all in one. Not just a musical instrument that looks cool, but a painting that sounds good.

Erich

I dig it. I like Mandy's the best, but Dave Talsma has some nice ones on his site, too.

I'm working on printing some black and white photos on my cigar box uke. At this point, choosing the right photo is the hard part!

yellowsubuke2%20990.jpg

WANT!

Top Bottom