D'Addario J4804 back in stock

Mahalos fo da update Aaron!

Which single string would I need for low g tenor (actually Baritone gCEA)
and low g concert? Changing a couple of my 'ukulele to low g. Mahalo nui. ;)

da 4804 is used as a low G.

That's what this thread is about.

For Concert, following D'Addario's logic in creating their Pro Arte sets, J4704. Not sure about the Baritone.

The 80/20 string is not for everyone, especially guys like Ledward, who prefers a strong bass string (silver wounds). It is for players that prefer a more neutral transition from unwound to wound, IMHO.

-Aaron

I grew up with re entrant high G tuning being the norm so this low g is new to me but I'm really liking it. Mahalo for the info, I'm ordering it now. :shaka:

Eh, what strings you goin try?

I just checked my string supply and found 3 J4804s from the last time I placed an order...got excited for nothing.

I've been using Savarez Alliance Classical Guitar strings in Normal and High Tension for the trebles on my ukes. They are really bright, with good volume, punch, sustain, and clarity, plus they are very durable and last a long time.

I read that the Savarez New Crystal Corums are nylons that are not as bright as the Alliance and with a little more thicker diameter. Thought I'd give this a try on my MB and see if it tones down some of the brightness. If it loses too much clarity and sustain, then I'll switch back to the Alliance.

I was also wondering how the Daddario T2 in normal tension would be. I tried the hard tension set but it seemed to lack the acoustic clarity that I'm use to from the Savarez Alliance on my ukes. I know Aaron uses them, perhaps he can say again what he likes about them.

Sorry to stray away from the original topic of the J4804 for low G. I also find that the bronze wound seems to have less overpowering tones and possibly a better transition from the trebles for uke players tuned in Low G. The classical guitar guys say the bronze wound strings seem to go dead faster than the silver plated copper ones, I haven't played Low G enough to hear the difference.

Here's something to think about. If you got a well made uke that has strong trebles in sense of volume, then stringing a low G may be less overpowering than if using it on an uke that has weak trebles to start off with. Most people complain about how unbalanced it sounds, like the low G is overpowering. Two possible contributors, string choice, and uke design. With the right combination, you got a sweet sound, IMHO.

I've been using the same Daddario silver plated copper wound Low G and Savarez Alliance strings on my Fluke for over 5 years, with no string change, ha! I don't recommend this, but it's my beach uke, so I'll change the string when it breaks, still sounds great though but I'm sure it would sound better with a fresh set of strings.

Do you use a Savarez Alliance string for low g also? If yes which one exactly? Mahalo. I just ordered a couple D'addario J4804s but just want to know for future reference.

I read that the Savarez New Crystal Corums are nylons that are not as bright as the Alliance and with a little more thicker diameter. Thought I'd give this a try on my MB and see if it tones down some of the brightness. If it loses too much clarity and sustain, then I'll switch back to the Alliance.

I was also wondering how the Daddario T2 in normal tension would be. I tried the hard tension set but it seemed to lack the acoustic clarity that I'm use to from the Savarez Alliance on my ukes. I know Aaron uses them, perhaps he can say again what he likes about them.

Sorry to stray away from the original topic of the J4804 for low G. I also find that the bronze wound seems to have less overpowering tones and possibly a better transition from the trebles for uke players tuned in Low G. The classical guitar guys say the bronze wound strings seem to go dead faster than the silver plated copper ones, I haven't played Low G enough to hear the difference.

Here's something to think about. If you got a well made uke that has strong trebles in sense of volume, then stringing a low G may be less overpowering than if using it on an uke that has weak trebles to start off with. Most people complain about how unbalanced it sounds, like the low G is overpowering. Two possible contributors, string choice, and uke design. With the right combination, you got a sweet sound, IMHO.

First things first - yes Laron, I did buy it up, but I didn't know I bought it "all".

As for ordering directly from D'Addario, its basically a shell site where they use one of their distributors, who uses UPS. Won't go there, its USPS all the way.

The Carbon Alliance should definitely be brighter than the nylons. Personally, like you, the Alliance has a "ring" to it on some instruments that just cannot be beat. I've never heard it on a low end instrument, but midrange instruments and Customs definitely bring it out - I had those on my Kamaka Tenor (what I call midrange, just so there's no confusion) prior to repair (still being repaired).

The Titanium Trebles (normal) I use on my son's KoAloha Concert, with the hards on the Tenors (Maple/Spruce and Koa/Spruce). I like the T2's as a replacement for the EJ50's (Black nylon), which I preferred over the EJ46 (Clear Nylon). The T2's have the same feel, but a closer sound to the Savarez. I find I can drop the action on the T2's a little more than the Alliance 540J series. Mix the T2's with the 4804's, and the transition is nearly negligible.

Yes, the Bronze goes dead faster, but it may also be because the Silver is so powerful to begin with. No big deal, its only strings.

The last statement you made needs to be said again:
Two possible contributors, string choice, and uke design. With the right combination, you got a sweet sound, IMHO.

Here is the caveat I should've stated at the beginning - my experiences in string choice have been on my instruments, and a couple of other midrange ones (Kamaka Tenor, KoAloha Concert, Kamaka Standard, KoAloha Standard and Pineapple). My instruments are mostly Spruce top, Koa/Milo/Maple/Myrtle B&S, and a few Mahogany thrown in for good measure. Depending on the build, the player, and the performance, string choice may change. My kids play D'Addario's mainly because I like the "feel" of the string a little better than Savarez, the sound can be modeled through effects, and I can get the action lower for them. Acoustically, I prefer Savarez. My friends that perform, on the other hand, use Savarez - Ramon on his Mahogany with 540R, and Led on his Spruce/Koa with 540J. Note: Led likes a "strong" bass string, which the Savarez gives him better than D'Addario's J4804.

Sorry for the long response, but I hope this helps. . .

-Aaron

Great response Aaron! I'd wish more players took the time to educate themselves on strings. I'm probably setting myself for some criticism, as I've said this before and got responses like, "I rather spend more time playing"...me too, but somebody has to test out the strings and share it with others. Too often, the types of comments we see are "___ string is good cause it's loud", or "____ is good cause ___ uses it", or "____ (uke company) uses it, so it must be good". I'm not trying to make fun, well maybe I am, but the point is, strings allow a player to fine tune their instrument to the desired sound and playability they are looking for. I could not believe the sound difference when I changed out the factory strings on a Kamaka Tenor for some Alliance strings, the difference was night and day.

Aloha Aaron & Laron,
Mahalo for the string education! I can't wait to get my J4804s but now temped to try the Savarez strings too. Is this SAS- String Acquisition Syndrome? :D

Mahalo nui! ;)

Aloha Aaron & Laron,
Mahalo for the string education! I can't wait to get my J4804s but now temped to try the Savarez strings too. Is this SAS- String Acquisition Syndrome? :D

Mahalo nui! ;)

SAS, yes it is! Go gettum Ahnk, Kanikapila! If for some reason you find your J4804s are on backorder, PM me, I'll send you one.

Much Mahalos to Aaron and Laron for the info. IMO, threads like these are worth the time reading. What you're saying is quite true (about educating) and I wouldn't worry too much about it (setting yourself up). I agree with your assessment many will jump on the name brand bandwagon because of popularity. Strings are the most inexpensive upgrade one can do to improve the instruments sound. Most are content when they use something else over the stock strings and let it go at that.

I just tried to give you guys + reps fo da insight, but no can cuz I gotta spread it around . . .

Last edited:
Sounds like another comparison vid from UKISOCIETY is in order......you da man:D

Top Bottom