Video: comparing the new Makala Plastic Dolphin with a TV Pal.

Thanks! that was really helpful. I'll definitely be ordering a makala now, just as soon as I hear back from MGM

Thanks for posting the video of the plastic Makalas. I wondered what they'd look like.

There's a lot of volume difference between the Dolphin and the TV Pal, with the TV Pal sounding a lot louder to me.

Anyway, thanks again.

From what I could tell via YouTube, the TV Pal was louder but the Dolphin sounded richer.

TV Pal is much louder and "bossier" sounding. But I am very impressed with the Makala.

'Twould be a fairer test with similar strings on each instrument. The intonation on the Makala sounded a bit off compared with the TV Pal. That could also have something to do with the elasticity of the Aquilas compared with the fluorocarbons.

BTW, I'm stealing that blues lick.

Nice vid, Alan.

A comparison of the plastic Dolphins with the old all-wood Dolphins would be interesting, wouldn't it?

JJ

My ear, untrained though it may be, prefers the Makala. I'm still having trouble warming up to that dolphin bridge, though....

Good thing I'm not currently in the market for a soprano!

Nice little uke; nice comparison. Thanks!

I was all ready to buy a Makala Dolphin as a boat 'ukulele but after hearing the differance i'm now seriously considering a solid plastic 'ukulele. What's your favorite strings for plastic 'ukuleles?

Nice vid, Alan.

A comparison of the plastic Dolphins with the old all-wood Dolphins would be interesting, wouldn't it?

JJ
I just checked my grandkids Makala Dolphins, one is plastic and one is wood. To my (very inexperienced) ear the plastic sounds a bit brighter, but he wood seems to have a fuller sound. Don't know if I'm describing that properly, I'd noticed the slight difference when we first got them but didn't know Kala was making them differently. But I like them both, just find it much harder to play sopranos with my old fat fingers!

'Twould be a fairer test with similar strings on each instrument. The intonation on the Makala sounded a bit off compared with the TV Pal. That could also have something to do with the elasticity of the Aquilas compared with the fluorocarbons.

BTW, I'm stealing that blues lick.

heh. I think I was pressing down on the strings too hard, which caused the intonation problems. I tend to press down a bit too much.

Nice vid, Alan.

JJ

Send me a wooden one and I'll do it!:)

I was all ready to buy a Makala Dolphin as a boat 'ukulele but after hearing the differance i'm now seriously considering a solid plastic 'ukulele. What's your favorite strings for plastic 'ukuleles?

I liked Bushman strings but then they started to fray.. But the Martin flurocarbons sound very nice on them and I like them. Some people prefer Aquilas on their plastics, and they sound good, but i wonder if they're not a little too hard for them.

Top Bottom