What to buy for $100?

ukeskywalker79

Reaction score
Ok so my wife is giving me to OK to purchase another uke for my bday. What do you buy for $100. Both of my current ukes are solids so I can't really take them out and about without fear of messing them up.

I'm looking for a laminate....something I can just throw around and take everywhere outdoors.

I've always been intrigued by pineapples and have never played one before. I was thinking of getting the Kala Pineapple (silk screen printed one).

Any suggestions? :D

Ok so my wife is giving me to OK to purchase another uke for my bday. What do you buy for $100. Both of my current ukes are solids so I can't really take them out and about without fear of messing them up.

I'm looking for a laminate....something I can just throw around and take everywhere outdoors.

I've always been intrigued by pineapples and have never played one before. I was thinking of getting the Kala Pineapple (silk screen printed one).

Any suggestions? :D

The silkscreen pineapple sounds pretty cool. Maybe MGM's got some suggestions for you. Give him a call.

I've got a Kala watermelon, and I like it a lot, but I'm hesitant to use it as a beater simply because the paint along the sides of the uke is pretty easy to scratch off. It's one of the reasons I'm looking into a Makala plastic dolphin model for around 50, but if you keep your eye out you might be able to run into a used flea or fluke for 100ish.

okay. what you do is you take that 100 dollars and invest it into something your wife would enjoy. like a necklace or a dress she's been eying. Then when you've got her on your best side forever, get a larger budget :D Then buy yourself a fluke. I swear, they're the only uke that can survive a hurricane and live to play about it.

But hey, that's just what I would do if my fiance had control over my finances. I'm soo glad I'm not married yet .haha

generem... generam... anyways.. he's got one goin'

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?p=224392#post224392

okay. what you do is you take that 100 dollars and invest it into something your wife would enjoy. like a necklace or a dress she's been eying. Then when you've got her on your best side forever, get a larger budget :D Then buy yourself a fluke. I swear, they're the only uke that can survive a hurricane and live to play about it.

But hey, that's just what I would do if my fiance had control over my finances. I'm soo glad I'm not married yet .haha

generem... generam... anyways.. he's got one goin'

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?p=224392#post224392

I like this idea :D If I can just get her to extend it 15x the budget I can finally get my PS or Moore Bettah :eek:

I didn't realize the paint on the Kalas were so fragile :( Maybe I should just get a basic laminate pineapple instead like the Lanikai. We'll see..........

Excellent strategy! What’s worked for me is to go buy one within the stated budget ($100) ... then slowly start complaining of how it’s hurting your fingers or something. A couple weeks later, go back and exchange it for double the budget ($200)!! When asked how much it was – just say it was $100 (and under your breadth, “more”).

:D

I didn't realize the paint on the Kalas were so fragile :( Maybe I should just get a basic laminate pineapple instead like the Lanikai. We'll see..........

Again, for what it's worth, the silk-screen on the top is solid, and hasn't scratched or chipped a bit, its the regular paint on the back and sides that comes off. I'm not sure if the pineapple has the same side and back paint as the watermelon.

Excellent strategy! What’s worked for me is to go buy one within the stated budget ($100) ... then slowly start complaining of how it’s hurting your fingers or something. A couple weeks later, go back and exchange it for double the budget ($200)!! When asked how much it was – just say it was $100 (and under your breadth, “more”).

:D

My wife knows me too well to fall for that LOL :D Now that I think about that she does this with clothing LOL. She'll say "This doesn't fit right and the materials suck so I'd rather pay extra for quality."

I should use the same reasoning

Again, for what it's worth, the silk-screen on the top is solid, and hasn't scratched or chipped a bit, its the regular paint on the back and sides that comes off. I'm not sure if the pineapple has the same side and back paint as the watermelon.

Thanks for the clarification. Now that I think about it, its gotta be silkscreen all around unless someone out there in China is really talented at hand painting pineapples on the back and sides ;)

I think for $100, I'd buy one of the new plastic-backed Makalas with MGM's setup and pocket the change. Or buy two.

--Mark

Based on my experience of being married for 34 years .... I suggest that whatever you do. Spend the remaining change on your wife. She is definitely no shrew, letting you own multiple Ukuleles. She is one of the good ones!

I think for $100, I'd buy one of the new plastic-backed Makalas with MGM's setup and pocket the change. Or buy two.

--Mark

I'd buy the Makala in the heartbeat if it wern't for the dolphin bridge. I'm just not fond of it. Hopefully one day they'll make a standard bridge as an option.

Based on my experience of being married for 34 years .... I suggest that whatever you do. Spend the remaining change on your wife. She is definitely no shrew, letting you own multiple Ukuleles. She is one of the good ones!

I agree. She means the world to me and thats how I knew she was the one. She put up with me and all my hobbies. :) She actually plays guitar herself so she can understand where I'm comming from and she's glad I finally found an instrument I can stick with. I have ZERO background in music (Does Guitar Hero/Rockband count?)

$100? I'd buy a Kamoa pineapple from the UU store. Okay, it's $99 + shipping, but still....

For $7.99 nz dollars you could pick the wellington international ukulele orchestra's new e.p., listening to it now.

its great.

Cliff

p.s. sorry thats no help at all.

Wait a minute, you want a pineapple. You can offer this eBay seller $100 including shipping for a solid Mahogany pineapple. He had them for $100 last month so I'm thinking he'd sell for $100 now. These Melokia/KPK 'ukuleles are pretty decent for the money. I have a soprano KPK, and will be getting a Melokia pineapple too as soon as I'm in better financial straights.
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Melokia-PIN...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2556b3b4b9

Wait a minute, you want a pineapple. You can offer this eBay seller $100 including shipping for a solid Mahogany pineapple. He had them for $100 last month so I'm thinking he'd sell for $100 now. These Melokia/KPK 'ukuleles are pretty decent for the money. I have a soprano KPK, and will be getting a Melokia pineapple too as soon as I'm in better financial straights.
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Melokia-PIN...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2556b3b4b9

Thanks Ahnko this will be next on my list. For now I've decided on a laminate for my "beater uke" I'll post pics once it arrives.

Top Bottom