slotted headstock

ed531

Reaction score
It seems that there's a demand for ukes with slotted headstocks. Can anyone tell me why ?

Thanks

style. :cool:

Pretty much. It could be a fad, but I've always like the slotted headstock look.

I don't think it's a fad... up until recently, you couldn't find a slotted headstock without the uke being custom, six, or eight strings.

I read a lot of builders charge around $250 for the slotted headstock upgrade, but Kala made the solid acacia tenor available for $20 more($270atElderly)
smart move IMO

Mainland ukes recently came out with the slotted headstock CONCERT for 250 shipped. To me, and my research, that is a great deal and rare too.

I already own an Acacia Tenor and have a Mainland slotted concert on the way :drool:

The look of Cavaquinhos have always sparked my interest
cavaquinhos.jpg

I think more companies are going to realize it's worth offering the 'upgrade' with little to no extra charge because of the volume of sales alone.

The slotted headstock presents a guitar-like look to the ukulele.

I've always liked it. I first saw a custom model at Kamaka in the late 60's and thought it was really cool.

Then I saw something like it on a Maui Ukulele, then on a Fluke (of all things).

Since then, a Tangi and now the Kalas.

They look good to me. A bit different but in the style of, well a guitar.

The Concert Kala Slotted headstock seems a bit top heavy to me. Seems like a bit much wasted wood from the top end of the slot to the tip of the head. But that's just me. And it wouldn't keep me from getting one. Just wanted you all to know that.

It seems that there's a demand for ukes with slotted headstocks. Can anyone tell me why ?

Thanks
More places to hang bling, perhaps.

Personnaly, I just like the looks of them. Yes, seeing Jake's Kamaka probably had something to do with becoming aware of the SH on an ukulele. I also like the fact that most of the slotted head tuners are high quality (at least the ones I have experience with) and they are a joy to use.

I like the slotted headstock look too... just wondering if it actually had a sound advantage to it.

But seems fromm all the replies, it's really about just the looks of it. Nothing wrong with that... :D:D:D

Aside from aesthetic properties...

A string needs a strong bond at both the nut and saddle because when you play (vibrate a string), the string slightly stretches and contracts back and forth from the vibration. You want to make sure the string doesn't move back and forth at the nut and saddle. The string should stay put.

A slotted headstock increases the angle at the nut, thereby increasing the tension and strengthening the bond between the nut and the string. Nylon strings are pretty elastic and low tension (especially in ukuleles), and the instrument benefits from the increased angle.

With all things, you don't want to go overboard on the angle; too sharp of an angle could cause tuning problems and premature string breakage.

picture.php

Last edited:
Aside from aesthetic properties...

A string needs a strong bond at both the nut and saddle because when you play (vibrate a string), the string slightly stretches and contracts back and forth from the vibration. You want to make sure the string doesn't move back and forth at the nut and saddle. The string should stay put.

A slotted headstock increases the angle at the nut, thereby increasing the tension and strengthening the bond between the nut and the string. Nylon strings are pretty elastic and low tension (especially in ukuleles), and the instrument benefits from the increased angle.

With all things, you don't want to go overboard on the angle; too sharp of an angle could cause tuning problems and premature string breakage.

picture.php

If built properly, the string angle of both styles of headstock will be about the same. The headstock angle however will be slightly less in a slotted design to accomodate the lower horizontal post it requires.
Example: If a flat headstock angle is 14 degrees, the strings will also be at 14 degrees if the strings are wound on the post correctly and the right size tuners (and posts) are installed. A slotted headstock however may only be set at 11 degrees but the tuner posts themselves will be installed at somewhere around 14 degrees. Properly sized and angled ramps will allow the strings not to touch anywhere.

Last edited:
If built properly, the string angle of both styles of headstock will be about the same. The headstock angle however will be slightly less in a slotted design to accommodate the lower horizontal post it requires.

... installed at somewhere around 14 degrees

Cool :cool:. Does it depend on the builder specs or is ~14 degrees the most common angle at the nut on ukuleles? What about angles for the saddle. I know they're a lot sharper, but is there a most common angle on that as well?

Lastly, do you think an ukulele could potentially benefit slightly from a sharper angle, say ~16, for players who frequently do high string bends?

Last edited:
I used my own numbers as an example but I think that's pretty standard around here at least. I've never measured the angle at the saddle but I generally like it as steep as possible within reason.
If a slotted headstock was angled at 16 degrees it would need to be a foot long in order for the strings to clear. Either that or the fret board and nut would need to be extremely high. To answer your question directly, I have no experience in increasing the headstock angle. Maybe others can chime in. Some numbers and dimensions are traditional because they work.

Top Bottom