squeaky strings??

backdoc972

Reaction score
I just put new strings on my concert Hohner. Based on all the reviews, I put aquilas on there. The problem I have is that when fingerpicking (I use the flesh of my right hand, no nails) they squeak. Is that normal? I don't have any problem with the fretting fingers squeaking, even with slides, but the picking fingers make an audible squeaking sound. Will this go away?

*edit*

oops! I read your question wrong!

I've no idea after all, sorry.

Last edited:
i dont get what u mean by squeak lol..

u mean like when u dont lift your feet off the floor and slide them at the supermarket and it makes that noise?

i dont get what u mean by squeak lol..

u mean like when u dont lift your feet off the floor and slide them at the supermarket and it makes that noise?

If it's that, I had the same problem with Aquila's, that's one of the reasons why I don't use them anymore

I don't have any squeaking problems. Can you post a sound file?

I have to admit to being technologically retarded and have no idea how to record a sound file. The sound is just when the fleshy part of my finger strikes the string it is a little squeak like someone mentioned when your shoe squeaks on the floor. If I run my thumb lengthwise along the string, it kinda squeaks too. It's not so noticeable that someone listening would think "ugh, what is that squeaking noise" but I notice it.

Having had the strings on a couple of days, it does seem to be less noticeable, so maybe it will go away or I will just become accustomed to it. I'm ashamed to say that although I have had my uke for a couple years, this is the first time I have changed the strings. I polished the frets (they were hideous, I bought it used) and conditioned the fretboard with Dr Ducks fretboard conditioner. I play mostly guitar (steel stringed) and I can't believe how long it is taking these strings to stay in tune also. They seem to stretch forever. I guess that is normal with nylon strings.

I have to admit to being technologically retarded and have no idea how to record a sound file. The sound is just when the fleshy part of my finger strikes the string it is a little squeak like someone mentioned when your shoe squeaks on the floor. If I run my thumb lengthwise along the string, it kinda squeaks too. It's not so noticeable that someone listening would think "ugh, what is that squeaking noise" but I notice it.

Hmm... nope, I don't hear any squeak on my Aquilas. Maybe you should just try some different strings. My other tenor is strung with Worth browns. Try those, people seem to like them. I do.

Having had the strings on a couple of days, it does seem to be less noticeable, so maybe it will go away or I will just become accustomed to it. I'm ashamed to say that although I have had my uke for a couple years, this is the first time I have changed the strings. I polished the frets (they were hideous, I bought it used) and conditioned the fretboard with Dr Ducks fretboard conditioner. I play mostly guitar (steel stringed) and I can't believe how long it is taking these strings to stay in tune also. They seem to stretch forever. I guess that is normal with nylon strings.

It is normal for them to take a while to stretch. You can speed up the stretching process by doing it yourself. After you get it in tune, lift up each string at the 12th fret about an inch, then re-tune it. Keep doing that, and after about 5 or 6 times, the strings will be almost stretched.

Top Bottom