Better strings?

UkeMan09

Reaction score
Hey guys, sorry about this. I've had my ukulele for about a month now, and let's just say.. it's not the best. Like I said in another post, my dad bought me a cheap one because he didn't want to get me an expensive one and not like it. I'm liking it a lot, but because my uke is so cheap, it gets a bit discouraging. The strings are so cheap that nothing sounds quite right. It's a soprano ukulele, and I was wondering what would be some good strings for it? Also, how hard is it to re-string a ukelele, as I've never done it before. Cheers.

-UM :shaka:

guitar center usually carries a set of Martins for soprano uke they usually better any factory strings on a cheap soprano.

Martins soprano strings rock.

I've found that Aquilas sound the best on the more inexpensive (usually laminate) ukuleles. You can get them from MGM here. If you have no other choice that to get them from Guitar Center...then make sure to get the Martin flurocarbon and not the nylon strings. the Martin nylons really sound "toy like" for lack of a better term. The d'addario J92s would also be a decent choice from GC (don't worry that they say Concert...they'll work on a soprano).

As far as how to change them...here's a video that will help you: http://ukuleleunderground.com/2008/02/18/uke-minutes-5-how-to-re-string-your-ukulele/.

Good luck and welcome to UU!!

+1 on aquila nyglut strings. They can really make cheap ukes sing. Don't be afraid to order strings over ebay, its a breeze and dirt cheap. Changing the strings is no problem either, and there are a lot of youtube vids that can walk you through it if you need a visual.

edit: KC8AFW beat me to the ukeminutes.

Awesome, thanks a bunch guys :)

Last edited:
Aquila Nylguts can transform a cheap uke.

Ukantor.

Alright well I just ordered a set of Aquila Nylguts. Can't wait for them to come! :)

Top Bottom