Just back from Hawaii, Kanile'a SC T-1, Cases?

Lori

Uke Crazy
UU VIP
Reaction score
Just got back from Hawaii, and brought back my first Hawaiian made ukulele. It's a Kanile'a Super Concert T-1! I bought it at the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet, of all places! I have the Uke Crazy concert case, but it is a tight fit. What case do you all have for super concerts?

–Lori

Attachments

• IMG_7239.jpg
    IMG_7239.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_7237.jpg
    IMG_7237.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 87
Congrats on the Kanile'a! High or Low G?

Congrats on the Kanile'a! High or Low G?
It's currently in high G. But I play both. Hard to decide. It looks like it came with Aquilla strings. The A string feels a bit rough on the 13-19th frets. Does that mean it has been played a lot already? Or does Aquilla strings sometimes have rough spots? Sure sounds great.
–Lori

Wow Lori that is one beautiful 'ukulele congratulations!

Oh man, if you've got a concert case that fits a superconcert nicely, you got lucky, and should just keep it, even if it is a tight fit. In my summary search at one store, I could not find a tenor or concert case that fit my KoAloha Superconcert nicely (body too big in the tenor cases, neck too short in the concert cases), and ended up just modifying a tenor case.

Then MGM comes along on these boards and reveals that they actually do make dedicated superconcert cases...can't remember which company though...but they do exist...and fortunately, for much less than an Ameritage. :D

best fit for the super concert would be the ohau cases from the ko'olau website

Sweet Uke. congrats.
I had to use a Tenor zipper case for the superconcert I have (King longscale concert). Kinda swims in there, but stuffed a rag in there to take up the empty space.

Love the looks of that uke! Congrats!

What a beautiful uke! I have always secretly lusted after Kanile'a ukes....

I'm curious. What made you decide on a super concert, as opposed to either a concert or a tenor? I had never given it much consideration, myself, but the idea is intriguing. I've not yet had the opportunity to try a tenor scale length, but I know I really feel more comfortable with my concert than with my soprano.

What a beautiful uke! I have always secretly lusted after Kanile'a ukes....

I'm curious. What made you decide on a super concert, as opposed to either a concert or a tenor? I had never given it much consideration, myself, but the idea is intriguing. I've not yet had the opportunity to try a tenor scale length, but I know I really feel more comfortable with my concert than with my soprano.
I had been considering to go with a tenor, or a concert, and I was open to the soprano too. I enjoy the low G tuning, as well as standard tuning, and felt the tenor scale low G has a richer tone than a concert length low G. I think it is just the physics of the thickness of the string verses the length. A long thicker string just sounds better than the short thick string, and I think it makes a difference on the low G. I prefer the non-wound strings. I like the sound of the concert size, not quite as guitar-like, more like the traditional ukulele sound but a bit deeper than a soprano. I tested several tenors and a concert next to this one (as well as a guitarlele) by Kanile'a, and this one just sounded better. It was kind of hard to hear, since it was in a booth at a swap meet, and it was really hot, and there is always someone else playing nearby. I had been considering a 6 string Mele when I visited their store in Maui, but decided since I was more of a picker, and less of a strummer, I needed a 4 string. Those 6 and 8 string ukes sure have a rich, loud, beautiful sound. If I was a strummer, I would get a 6 string. But this Kanile'a has such a bright sparkly tone, it almost sounds like a double stringed instrument. I am glad I could test in person, since each instrument is different.

–Lori

Congrats Lori and welcome back to the Mainland. Love the wood grain on your new uke.

So what did you think about Oahu? I remember the thread you made a while back asking for suggestions. I'm sure you had a blast ;) Your photos make me miss Hawaii really bad.

Congrats Lori and welcome back to the Mainland. Love the wood grain on your new uke.

So what did you think about Oahu? I remember the thread you made a while back asking for suggestions. I'm sure you had a blast ;) Your photos make me miss Hawaii really bad.
We spent just one day in Oahu, and the rest was in Maui and Kauai. Originally, Oahu wasn't on our itinerary, but was added since the inter-island flight would land us there anyway, and my husband was interested in visiting the Pearl Harbor Memorial. I was very impressed with the Honolulu area. Very pretty city, with sparkling clean air. Wikiki beach was also fun to see. The 25 mph speed limits were hard to get used to. Since we were there mostly on a Sunday, factory visits were not possible. Overall, I loved the beauty of Hawaii, with it's blue/ green oceans, reefs and fish, wide variety of trees and plants, rugged mountains and blue skies. And, a drive around an island will give you dramatic contrasts between the lush green tropical, to a volcanic desert. I was amazed at the way the waves come into the shore. Not at all like California. Rows and rows of breaking waves, some starting hundreds of feet from the water's edge. And some beaches have golden colored sand... very pretty.
I wasn't used to the heat/ humidity combination, so hiking was kept short. But I would snorkel more if I could get the chance!
–Lori

Sounds like you had a blast, thanks for sharing. I too noticed the same things you did about Hawaii especially Maui. The road to Hana was absolutely beautiful. The humidity and heat does getting use to but we live inland here in southern california so the heat felt very similar. It was really humid for us beginning of August. To cut down on costs my wife and I did TONS of snorkeling. I'm sure you're already planning your return trip just like we are :D

Sounds like you had a blast, thanks for sharing. I too noticed the same things you did about Hawaii especially Maui. The road to Hana was absolutely beautiful. The humidity and heat does getting use to but we live inland here in southern california so the heat felt very similar. It was really humid for us beginning of August. To cut down on costs my wife and I did TONS of snorkeling. I'm sure you're already planning your return trip just like we are :D

I am used to dry heat, having grown up in the SF Valley. Humidity is something different for me, along with the rocky muddy trails. I really could have made it with my trekking poles, and wearing a bathing suit and hiking boots and hauling a lot of water. I had to take the Kanile'a with me on a short hike on the Na Pali coast so it wouldn't get roasted/ stolen in the car (we were flying home that night so there was no place to store it). Fortunately, the Uke Crazy case came with 2 backpack straps, and was lightweight. Not something I plan to do again with that uke though! You can bet I was very careful with my footing!

–Lori

Welcome back...It sounds like you had a great trip and I am very happy for you...:D...It must have been a lot of fun to be able to hand pick your ukulele while in Hawaii...Your Kanile'a is very pretty and I am sure it will bring you many memories as time goes by...:D

I had been considering to go with a tenor, or a concert, and I was open to the soprano too. I enjoy the low G tuning, as well as standard tuning, and felt the tenor scale low G has a richer tone than a concert length low G. I think it is just the physics of the thickness of the string verses the length. A long thicker string just sounds better than the short thick string, and I think it makes a difference on the low G. I prefer the non-wound strings. I like the sound of the concert size, not quite as guitar-like, more like the traditional ukulele sound but a bit deeper than a soprano. I tested several tenors and a concert next to this one (as well as a guitarlele) by Kanile'a, and this one just sounded better. It was kind of hard to hear, since it was in a booth at a swap meet, and it was really hot, and there is always someone else playing nearby. I had been considering a 6 string Mele when I visited their store in Maui, but decided since I was more of a picker, and less of a strummer, I needed a 4 string. Those 6 and 8 string ukes sure have a rich, loud, beautiful sound. If I was a strummer, I would get a 6 string. But this Kanile'a has such a bright sparkly tone, it almost sounds like a double stringed instrument. I am glad I could test in person, since each instrument is different.

–Lori

Unlike you, I am a strummer much more so than a picker. The idea of a six or eight string uke is very tempting! I have never had the opportunity to try either type, but as much as I love the sound of a twelve string guitar I'm sure I'd love them....

I'm assuming these are available primarily (if not exclusively) as tenors?

Top Bottom