Repository for sound samples

clayton56

Reaction score
How about being able to listen to sound samples ofvarious ukuleles, with various brands of strings?

How about being able to listen to sound samples ofvarious ukuleles, with various brands of strings?

Wouldn't really work, I'm afraid. You have pointed out that the strings are an important factor. But there are other variables that will affect the sound.

1. Type of recording equipment.
2. Proximity to the microphone.
3. Place where it is recorded.
4. Most important of all is how it it is played. One player can play just one note and sound completely different to another player playing the same thing.

The tone you get from an instrument is determined more by the player than the ukulele.

There is something else too. People don't generally buy ukuleles because of the sound. They take into consideration things like the brand, cost and looks. You can't make a judgement on a ukulele from a sound sample. Sorry.

KEN

I agree with Ken. A recording is not representative of how a uke will sound. A poor uke can sound good in a recording, and a good uke can sound poor. As a basis for comparison, it would be very misleading. I've had people play a uke to me done the telephone - "Listen to this! It's terrific!" - No. It sounds like a wasp in a jar.

Ukantor.

Well...

It sounds like a good idea for the UU Store probably (as they do sell Ukulele's in their store) - and if people are concerned about things like "Who's playing the Uke?"...well I would assume that if the maker of the Uke, or the UU staff, were to make a video/sound sample of each Uke (probably not each with diff strings though), then that could at least help in understanding how a Uke sounds.

How it sounds doesn't automatically guarantee a purchase though of course! I have never bought an Uke solely off how it sounds - I have to TOUCH and FEEEL the Uke, BE ONE WITH THE UKE...(k, maybe that's taking it a little too far, haha)

Overall, for the store...it'd be a good idea. I mean, other websites do it, right? Even MGM has some vids on his auctions showing how the Uke's sound.

Top Bottom