Couple of questions

Steiner

Reaction score
Can you use a regular set of diagonal pliers to cut fret wire or do you have to use fret nippers? I searched but can't find an answer.

Also, does anyone know where I can find plans to build a bending iron? My searches have revealed that for your first build project the consensus is to use a bending iron, but I can't find instructions on how to build one.

Thanks

You can get by with diagonal or line pliers. It might be a little hard to cut, if the handles aren't long enough. I have a small compound cutter that I use to this day.

Our bending iron is a length of aluminum pipe, screwed to some angle iron, with a propane torch for heat. You don't really need a plan to build a pipe bender. As long as you can attach a pipe to something rigid and get it about as hot as a frying pan, you'll be fine.

I just cut it with the dremel disc...but thats cuz I'm to cheap to buy nippers.
I've seen a guy on a video just knock them in and waggle the overhang back and forth until it breaks off :eek:
Peasant

Fret nippers have the faces ground so that you can make the cut very close to the fre board. Regular pliers work fine, but leave a longer overhang to be filed flush. It's what I do.

Ukantor.

Way to go, Chuck. I must do that - it'll save me a lot of filing.

Ukantor.

Top Bottom