UkuCouS

Reaction score
Aloha guys !

Just received today my Stew Mac snakewood bridge pins

Some pics :

3997420975_0764d16e78.jpg

Snakewood pins with pearl dot on rosewood bridge :D
3997420245_a033180c1c.jpg

I think they really improve the look of the uke compared to white plastic ones.
Don't know if it's from me but, I really do believe that they improved the sound of my uke. Not huge change, but I feel like the sound is deeper and more precise, pretty hard to describe.

CouS

Bridge Pins

My Kanile'a K1 Concert, purchased through Elderly, arrived a few weeks ago and was equipped with very nice looking wood bridge pins with a white dot. No plastic. Either things have changed at the factory, or Elderly did me a favor.

My Kanile'a K1 Concert, purchased through Elderly, arrived a few weeks ago and was equipped with very nice looking wood bridge pins with a white dot. No plastic. Either things have changed at the factory, or Elderly did me a favor.

Wow, I hope so. I swapped out my Kanile'a bride pins for the koa with abalone ones because I really hated the plastic. Let's hope Joe decided to start with the good wood pins from now on!

And UkuCous - the new snakewood ones look great!

At start I wanted to order Koa one's, but Ken Middleton told me to take the snakewood ones, as my bridge is in rosewood it would look better.

Thanks Ken ! You were right.

Looks good.

Just so you know, there is no way it could change the sound. Haha, the bridge pins don't affect it in anyway. I think your uke is just opening up more and more. ;)

Very classy!

Looks good.

Just so you know, there is no way it could change the sound. Haha, the bridge pins don't affect it in anyway. I think your uke is just opening up more and more. ;)

Very classy!

That what I was thinking at first but I found this ... well maybe, and if it's placebon that's cool too :D, it would mean that you're right.

CouS

That's nice! I did the same thing on my concert (same era as your uke, judging by the label) - snakewood with abalone. Beautiful. Did you have to sand the pins down? I had to put some work in on each one to get them to fit right.

I looked at the article you posted - I noticed that each of the pins the article referred to was a hard, dense material - so I doubt that switching to a wood pin would have much difference. BUT - It is a well-known fact that better looking ukuleles play much better, so I'm sure the pins helped. ;)

That looks fantastic! I did the same with my soprano, and it really does make the whole instrument look more elegant.

I especially love the darker tones of your Kanilea. Is it a satin finish?

Looking good. I was never fond of the white plastic pins they use. This looks much much better. Your pins almost look ebony but I'm sure its just the lighting/photo.

I'm also curious to know if you needed to sand them down. Are they flush? Slotted or unslotted?

I'd like to throw some on my "KaniLanikaile'a" as well.

Did you have to sand the pins down? I had to put some work in on each one to get them to fit right.
Nope they fit just right :D

BUT - It is a well-known fact that better looking ukuleles play much better, so I'm sure the pins helped. ;)
I love this idea :agree:

NatalieS said:
I especially love the darker tones of your Kanilea. Is it a satin finish?
Nope it's UV finish

That looks really good! I like the abalone dot too. Mine came with black plastic pins with a white dot. The abalone would match the fret markers better. I will have to order some too!

–Lori

I also used the same pins you used on my Kanile'a tenor. They match the fretboard and bridge perfectly. And, like you, I thought it changed the sound. Your posted article mentions the change in tone with different materials for pins. The description for the ebony pins sort of fits. Congrats on your new look and beautiful uke!

Top Bottom