Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising

WHOA. I thought I was pretty core having played Ghost Recon from the PC to the Xbox to the Xbox 360 ... this game is pretty core. Anyone esle pick it up?

WHOA. I thought I was pretty core having played Ghost Recon from the PC to the Xbox to the Xbox 360 ... this game is pretty core. Anyone esle pick it up?

I'm getting it. This is the Marine game right?

Primarily, I think so. Although I believe you play fireteam leader for various units of the armed forces such as special ops (which I think is technically Army). It's sick man. It's not quite as hyper complicated as Arma II but it makes Ghost Recon seem like Call of Duty.

I was looking to buy a different game for my PS3 that wasn't football and the guy at ebgames recommended this game even though it wasn't out yet. I flipped through the strategy book and knew I needed to buy it. Now I just got to sale one of my ukes.

Seriously ... at $65 a pop, these games aren't cheap. I normally wait a few months for it to be used. This game especially will turn around quick - lots of kiddies thinking it will be Call of Duty.

Seriously ... at $65 a pop, these games aren't cheap. I normally wait a few months for it to be used. This game especially will turn around quick - lots of kiddies thinking it will be Call of Duty.

I didn't think about the turn around. It looked very challenging and realistic which is what I like.

Did you get it John?

I’m going crazy playing this. Even though there is a steep learning curve, you can make do with what little commands you are comfortable with at the beginning. I’m also seeing that the AI is very good. You don’t need to micro manage them.

On an early mission, we reached an overwatch looking down on a village teeming with tangos. I split my fireteam up and told one to “defend” ... the two automatically took cover behind sandbags and started laying down fire. Don’t even get me started on the 4 different barrage patterns you’ve got when you call in artillery on that village haha. Then there’s a very distant thump thump thump ... pause ... boom boom boom!! And the village blows up.

Another early mission we infilled with another fireteam just before daylight. Sneaking around with a bunch of spec ops dudes is sick in this game. We reached a road and I hear, “convoy incoming” and everyone just goes prone in unison as a train of trucks 6 strong passes by. Then everyone gets up in unison and moves forward. Soooo sick. (No I didn’t blow up the trucks even though it was super tempting.)

Did you get it John?

I’m going crazy playing this. Even though there is a steep learning curve, you can make do with what little commands you are comfortable with at the beginning. I’m also seeing that the AI is very good. You don’t need to micro manage them.

On an early mission, we reached an overwatch looking down on a village teeming with tangos. I split my fireteam up and told one to “defend” ... the two automatically took cover behind sandbags and started laying down fire. Don’t even get me started on the 4 different barrage patterns you’ve got when you call in artillery on that village haha. Then there’s a very distant thump thump thump ... pause ... boom boom boom!! And the village blows up.

Another early mission we infilled with another fireteam just before daylight. Sneaking around with a bunch of spec ops dudes is sick in this game. We reached a road and I hear, “convoy incoming” and everyone just goes prone in unison as a train of trucks 6 strong passes by. Then everyone gets up in unison and moves forward. Soooo sick. (No I didn’t blow up the trucks even though it was super tempting.)

Shhhhhhh....You are tempting me. Did you ever play the marine game that came out on the old xbox. I think it was called first to fight? It was sick and ahead of the curve. I haven't sold my pono yet. I'll be getting it soon.

No I never played that but I do remember hearing about it. Before this, the only other game I really got into was Ghost Recon on the PC and to a lesser extent, GR on the 360. I didn’t really care too much for the first Flashpoint that came out on the 360. Same with Arma II on the PC. Crysis was pretty interesting but just not enough tactically. I hate Call of Duty and those linear rambo type run n gun games with a passion.

Well when you get it, I’ll have to resubscribe to Live so we can get online saying things like, “How do you copy?” “Hard copy, moving out.” Or we can strum something appropriate on the uke while we wait for the artillery fire or close air support inbound. :D

No I never played that but I do remember hearing about it. Before this, the only other game I really got into was Ghost Recon on the PC and to a lesser extent, GR on the 360. I didn’t really care too much for the first Flashpoint that came out on the 360. Same with Arma II on the PC. Crysis was pretty interesting but just not enough tactically. I hate Call of Duty and those linear rambo type run n gun games with a passion.

Well when you get it, I’ll have to resubscribe to Live so we can get online saying things like, “How do you copy?” “Hard copy, moving out.” Or we can strum something appropriate on the uke while we wait for the artillery fire or close air support inbound. :D

I went to get it today. Well actually just now. I left the store and came to the bucks. Not in stock. Said they didn't get a shipment in yet (first one sold out). Game went to other local stores but I don't feel like driving 30 minutes. U play 360 right? I might have to get a 360. That is an advantage of PS3 online is free.

Ah you’ve got a PS3. Yeah in hindsight, I would’ve just gone with the PS3 for the Blu Ray. I got my 360 betting on HD. Well at least we can still share tactics. I’ve barely scratched the surface on this game and wouldn’t mind getting some input on how you might approach situations.

Yeah, first GameStop I went to the punk was giving me attitude saying I should’ve pre-ordered it cos they only got 3 copies and it sold out in hours. I was like, oh darn, I’ll go down the street and just buy it there then. There’s like at least 5 GameStops within a couple miles radius haha.

Ah you’ve got a PS3. Yeah in hindsight, I would’ve just gone with the PS3 for the Blu Ray. I got my 360 betting on HD. Well at least we can still share tactics. I’ve barely scratched the surface on this game and wouldn’t mind getting some input on how you might approach situations.

Yeah, first GameStop I went to the punk was giving me attitude saying I should’ve pre-ordered it cos they only got 3 copies and it sold out in hours. I was like, oh darn, I’ll go down the street and just buy it there then. There’s like at least 5 GameStops within a couple miles radius haha.

That is funny. Since I was a Marine I wonder how accurate the tactical aspect of the game is.

My advice is hit hard, hit fast, and keep moving.

Yeah, I tried that by having my whole fireteam pile into an MG mounted jeep and barrelling through a checkpoint to get to an objective. Before my guy could even let off a shot, a rocket blew us up!! :D

From what I can tell, you can set waypoints via map to perform various flanking or recon maneuvers. But I recently noticed “flank right” / “flank left” orders among the choice of orders you can give. There are “assault” and “defend” commands as well ROEs including hold fire, fire at will, fire on my lead, and suppress fire.

Yeah, I tried that by having my whole fireteam pile into an MG mounted jeep and barrelling through a checkpoint to get to an objective. Before my guy could even let off a shot, a rocket blew us up!! :D

From what I can tell, you can set waypoints via map to perform various flanking or recon maneuvers. But I recently noticed “flank right” / “flank left” orders among the choice of orders you can give. There are “assault” and “defend” commands as well ROEs including hold fire, fire at will, fire on my lead, and suppress fire.

Of course. That is why I prefer to be mobile on foot. Never did like riding in tracks. Metal coffin.

Did you get it yet, John?

I’m into Mission Day 3 now and wow things are heating up. I’ve had to secure then subsequently defend an air base with APCs and enemy helos popping out the woodwork. More recently I took a spec ops team in to infiltrate a fuel depot with the utmost “noise discipline” ... I LOVE the terminology haha. To get to a critical overwatch undetected, I actually had to crawl up to a tango and slash him with a combat knife!! I still couldn’t quite make it all the way without being made though.

Top Bottom