low g string concert

Aiyo

Reaction score
Has anyone attempted this? I sorta want to try it out since I'm a little "low G" obsessed.. :D

My kala concert is strung with a low-g. I played around with high-g strings before I decided I liked the low-g better. Then again, I wasn't a real big fan in the first place for the high-g. It sorta also depends on what kind of songs you plan to play, if you're going for more hawaiian/island typical music go with the high-g, if you're looking to do covers of mainstream music pop/rock etc go with the low g. It helps make it sound a bit better IMO.

It sorta also depends on what kind of songs you plan to play, if you're going for more hawaiian/island typical music go with the high-g, if you're looking to do covers of mainstream music pop/rock etc go with the low g. It helps make it sound a bit better IMO.

I've never actually considered my G string being a factor when it comes to covering specific types of songs - I've always thought it to be the chord I'm using, i.e., if I need to play the Gm7 chord, sometimes, 0211 sounds better than if I did it 3535 and vice versa. Then again, it's all about preference. :)

thanks for the replies guys. I'll just buy the strings and try it out for myself. ;)

Also, like say I still want to use the regular G string, can I reuse the one I took off, or would it be better to get a new string? Also whats the difference between wound and unwound? :confused:

thanks for the replies guys. I'll just buy the strings and try it out for myself. ;)

Also, like say I still want to use the regular G string, can I reuse the one I took off, or would it be better to get a new string? Also whats the difference between wound and unwound? :confused:

Wound strings are wounded with aluminum our some type of metallic wound. Unwound strings are normal nylon type strings.. You can reuse your string its really up to you if you want to get new strings, but when you get new strings don't be alarmed if it gets untune every now and then until the string is fully stretched. Also eventually i tend to cut into the wound strings on the fret markers from wear and tear so it might be a good idea to have a extra set of strings around. Run the low g if you wanna deeper tone and if you want to run the high g for traditional sound.

Last edited:
Yeah, the wound strings do tend to take some damage from the frets. I managed to completely shred an Aquila low G to the point where it was unplayable within a week! :eek: I second Uncle Turtle's suggestion to get a single unwound (fluorocarbon) low G.

low G vs high G

On a high G tuning the lowest note that can be played is the low C, whereas on a low G your range is extended. Some ukulele players will say playing a low G tuning is not playing a ukulele (maybe more like a tenor guitar). But, the technical master of the ukulele, Ohta-san, plays a soprano with one metal wound, a low G.

My long neck soprano has a unwound low G. You might find you have to adjust your attack when switching from high to low G. Even with the unwound low G, you might have to play a little softer on that string than when it was a high G.

–Lori

Top Bottom