difference between tenor and baritone when tuned DGBE?

cjaydb

Reaction score
Hey guys, I currently own a Kala Concert and have just been learning how to play for the past month and it's been great. I swear, I'm addicted to the dang thing, I've been practicing at least 2-4hrs a day :D I've been able to get the strumming down and most of the chord shapes but like most beginners at first, singing and strumming has been giving me headaches haha.

Anyway, I'm looking to pick up an extra uke, but specifically, one with the DGBE tuning like the guitar. I plan on taking it up eventually (assuming I keep getting better :p). I did some research and found out that the tenors can be tuned to DGBE with the right strings of course, but I've yet to find any audio/video of how it sounds. As for the baritone, I had no problem finding audio samples, just wish I had a tenor to compare it too. Does anyone here have a tenor tuned this way? I'm assuming of course the baritone would be a bit fuller and a bit mellow but arrrgghh... two of the major reasons thats holding me back from getting a baritone (but not exactly the deal breaker though) is its size (thinking portability) and the ability to switch back to GCEA if in the future I change my mind, even though I know there are strings to tune in that way.

If it matters, I tend to play a lot of mainstream songs as well as guitar covers. If I could get some input I'd really appreciate it :) even better would be audio of a tenor hehe :p of course. Thanks guys!

Differences in terms of sound?...Well, it depends on the wood as well as the strings used. To me, I think the main difference you would notice would be the volume probably - seeing as a Tenor's body is slightly smaller than a Baritone (Then again...my Soprano Uke is louder than my Tenor slightly, and SIGNIFICANTLY louder than any other Soprano Uke I've ever played).

I would like to hear a sample/video if anyone has one though. :)

heh well to be honest, ever since I laid my eyes on that Kala Acacia Tenor with that slotted headstock I've fallen head over heels for it :drool: haha. I haven't been able to find a baritone with a slotted headstock so I guess you could also add that to one of the reasons thats holding me back haha. My budget at max would be what that Acacia Tenor is going for. Thanks again :cool:

:agree: It's so crazy!...How...I've sooooo many slotted headstock's before and never bothered to think much about it, but I recently came across my friends Uke which happens to be slotted and...I don't know what it was, but I was just staring at it for the longest and thinking...:iwant:...haha.

Top Bottom