PDA

View Full Version : Are Kalas wood or Laminate?

iDavid
10-11-2009, 12:15 AM
Kalas seemed priced to good to be true. I've read a few reviews stated that they were laminate, but are some of them solid wood?

thanks

david

mokai
10-11-2009, 12:24 AM
Kalas seemed priced to good to be true. I've read a few reviews stated that they were laminate, but are some of them solid wood?

thanks

david

Some are laminate and some are solid wood. If it doesn't state solid wood, it's likely laminate.
if it says solid top but doesn't say the back and sides are solid as well.. the back and sides are likely laminate.

MisoHappy
10-11-2009, 12:26 AM
I don't think I've ever seen a laminate, not that they don't exist, and mine is solid koa.

iDavid
10-11-2009, 12:29 AM
do you guys know which ones are solid wood?

I just looked on theri site and I think I am missing the obvious....

solid acacia

solid mahogany
solid lacewood

I don't see solid Koa and that's what I would really like

david

mokai
10-11-2009, 12:36 AM

All Acacia woods are solid.. KA-ASAC
they have solid lacewoods with solid spruce tops..KA-ASLA
they have solid mohogany... KA-ASM(allsolidmohog)
their spruce series have spruce tops with laminate sides

to my knowledge, they don't offer solid koa... at least not currently
http://www.kalaukulele.com/product.html
if it doesn't specifically say solid.. it's laminate

Ahnko Honu
10-11-2009, 01:24 AM
MGM had a very limited supply of solid Koa KALAs which were not listed on the KALA website. You may want to email MGM to see if he still has any in stock.

Pippin
10-11-2009, 01:38 AM

I just looked on theri site and I think I am missing the obvious....

solid acacia

solid mahogany
solid lacewood

I don't see solid Koa and that's what I would really like

david

The koa models are laminated ukes.

buddhuu
10-11-2009, 01:47 AM
The koa models are laminated ukes.

That is mostly true, but there are/were some solid koa Kala's.

Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aljrG_86Xc

keepwaddling
10-11-2009, 01:51 AM
With the mahogany, Kala produces a laminate AND a solid wood product line. The laminate mahogany is labelled KA-T (for tenor, as an example), and the solid mahogany is labelled KA-ASMT (for all solid mahogany tenor). But for some reason, the Kala solid mahogany on Musicguymic's shop is "MSHT". From my experience of owning one, I can say that the quality which you get for the Kala solid mahogany uke is totally worth the price.

The Kala Acacia ukulele is a solid wood also, but when I last checked, Musicguymic did not have any tenor sizes for sale (only soprano or concert I think).

Pippin
10-11-2009, 02:00 AM
That is mostly true, but there are/were some solid koa Kala's.

Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aljrG_86Xc

Yes, but I don't know if they ever made more than a few prototypes. I understand that there were very few of these produced.

mailman
10-11-2009, 03:20 PM
The new Kala Exotic Mahogony models (or flame mahogony) are laminates, but gorgeous laminates. :drool:

Personally, I don't mind laminates as much as some folks do.

aka
10-11-2009, 11:47 PM
Easy - look on the inside. If the grains don't match up to the outside, then??? They be different - right?

ukantor
10-12-2009, 12:34 AM
I agree with Mailman. There are different types of laminated wood. The regular unsophisticated three ply, used on the cheapest (usually painted) ukes, is about as low as you can get, but some of the special 'instrument grade' laminates are very good indeed. I've been told that the better laminates are actually more expensive than some solid woods, and they are far more consistent, easier to work, and much stronger.

I'm perfectly happy to own a uke with good laminated back and sides. Particularly if it means I get the beautiful grain patterns that would cost the earth in solid wood.

I still prefer solid wooden soundboards.

Ukantor.