PDA

View Full Version : Re-thinking the uklectic cavity

Pete Howlett
10-11-2009, 05:04 AM
Here is (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCPKF9-i098) one for th 'nerdy' types (in a nice way)

eleuke
10-11-2009, 09:20 PM
Pete, I are confoozed. Are you saying that you don't want the uklectic design to have acoustic properties? If so, why not? It's a beautiful design, beautifully executed. Why not scallop the center bar down to 1/8" at the bridge end to give it an even more irresistable acoustic quality? Best of both worlds in one uke...

Pete Howlett
10-11-2009, 10:20 PM
Anything with an acoustic property has the potential to generate feedback. The 'ethic' behind this design is to be able to play large venues without hassle. I understand your point and will offer a 'cvity' version but that is back in design stage at present.

thistle3585
10-12-2009, 05:14 AM
Pete,
Here is a photo of my electric body that I am using on my mandolins as well as on the prototype tenor uke. The back is 1/4" thick and the drop tops will be 3/16"-1/4" thick. I am not trying to achieve any acoustical properties from the design but it is noticeably louder than a solid body. The center block, which is not a separate piece like yours, is simply there to provide support to the top across that large expanse as well as a mounting point for my bridge. Also, the neck is bolted on versus being glued using two screws in the pocket. This is an older picture and on my last batch I went ahead and routed out the upper bout to remove additional weight as well as allow for a switch that would be more traditional with the LP design. I originally left that area out of concern that it would sacrifice the strength of the neck pocket but have found that not to be the case. I am currently thinking of reducing the size of the supporting block to match the footprint of the bridge.

I have just finished the tenor but have not installed the pickup system so I can't speak to any issues of feedback until that point. Hopefully, I will get to it in the coming week or two. The tenor uke is the one to the left.

Andrew

6stringconvert
10-13-2009, 06:26 AM
Pete,

How about a sound hole cover. I've got one for my Yamaha APX. I sometimes fit it playing acoustic if i want to quieten down when practicing (so almost the opposite of what we're discussing here.

another thought that crosses my mind. How about putting an under saddle pickup under the nut - that puts the pick up way away from the body?

Love your work BTW.

6sc

Pete Howlett
10-13-2009, 07:16 AM
Again, there is a design philosophy behind the uklectic that sees most of the 'ssues' solved. If I was to follow your excellent suggestions it would loose its identity and appeal. Nevertheless, thank you for your ideas... the nut one won't fly :rulez:

thistle3585
10-13-2009, 07:55 AM
Do you think that the strip that runs down the center creates more sustain similar to how a through neck design works? As I understand it, you are wanting to neutralize the vibrations, or acoustical properties, across the top. Wouldn't it make sense to put a block directly under the bridge to accomplish this? Then it would transfer the vibrational energy to the back and then be muted by the person holding it against their body. I would think that you would want to reduce the mass of the vibrating area and isolate it.

Just thinking aloud.

Pete Howlett
10-13-2009, 08:15 AM
Watch the movie and note the comment about bridge pins... 'electric' instruments operate in a different way and 'sustain' is desired because of the absence of acoustic pockets. besides, the through neck argument is bogus IMHO.

thistle3585
10-13-2009, 09:22 AM
Right. I missed that the first time. I was thinking it used a tied bridge.