PDA

View Full Version : Like weeds..

hoosierhiver
10-11-2009, 04:17 PM
I don't know if anyone else pays attention to this at the bottom of the page, (except for Ukulelerob), but there seems to be new-new members at a furious rate.
Can a mod tell us how many new members we are getting every day?

mailman
10-11-2009, 04:21 PM
Let's hope most of them are nicer folks than a few I've seen here lately....

eleuke
10-11-2009, 04:24 PM
Let's hope most of them are nicer folks than a few I've seen here lately....

I'm one of the new weeds. I'm nice. (I think) If I'm not, please let me know... I don't wanna be a bad weed...

hoosierhiver
10-11-2009, 04:25 PM
I'm one of the new weeds. I'm nice. (I think) If I'm not, please let me know... I don't wanna be a bad weed...

as in a seedy weed? ;)

UkeNinja
10-11-2009, 04:28 PM
Caught in the act! I was planning a voting contest and all my imaginary friends (they are real!) wanted to join a ukulele forum all of a sudden. Funny how things come together sometimes, eh?

("at the bottom of the page"? "All times are GMT +9. The time now is 10:23 AM."?)

Anyway, either the ukulele is booming, or we are very close to the second coming of Zuul aka Gozer the Gozarian.

eleuke
10-11-2009, 04:30 PM
as in a seedy weed? ;)

That, or any kind of bad weed....

UkuleleHill
10-11-2009, 04:37 PM
That, or any kind of bad weed....

Nahh... You seem more like mustard then ragweed... :)

I like the quote in your signature, I use it all the time for peeps considering starting to play the ukulele :)

eleuke
10-11-2009, 04:41 PM
Nahh... You seem more like mustard then ragweed... :)

I like the quote in your signature, I use it all the time for peeps considering starting to play the ukulele :)

That's great. No copyrights here. Use it as much as you like. It just makes sense to me. (And it peeves my guitar playing friends when they say "Ukulele? Why?"

hoosierhiver
10-11-2009, 04:44 PM
That's great. No copyrights here. Use it as much as you like. It just makes sense to me. (And it peeves my guitar playing friends when they say "Ukulele? Why?"

made for humans, but they also are popular with aliens.

Steiner
10-11-2009, 04:44 PM
or we are very close to the second coming of Zuul aka Gozer the Gozarian.

So empty your heads. Empty your heads. Don't think of anything.

hoosierhiver
10-11-2009, 04:45 PM
So empty your heads. Empty your heads. Don't think of anything.

That's harder than it sounds.

UkeMan09
10-11-2009, 04:51 PM
I'm new, and I'm really liking the uke and these forums. Hopefully when I get a little bit better I can help out more :)

-UM :shaka:

eleuke
10-11-2009, 04:54 PM
Caught in the act! I was planning a voting contest and all my imaginary friends (they are real!) wanted to join a ukulele forum all of a sudden. Funny how things come together sometimes, eh?

("at the bottom of the page"? "All times are GMT +9. The time now is 10:23 AM."?)

Anyway, either the ukulele is booming, or we are very close to the second coming of Zuul aka Gozer the Gozarian.

UkeNinja, are you located in one of these areas?

# AUSTRALIA (Western Australia dst- Perth)
# BRUNEI DARUSSALAM (Bandar Seri Begawan)
# CHINA (Beijing, Shanghai)
# HONG KONG (China)
# INDONESIA (central- Bali, Borneo, Celebes/Ujung Pandang)
# MACAU (Macao)
# MALAYSIA (Kuala Lumpur)
# MONGOLIA (Ulaanbaatar)
# PHILIPPINES (Manila)
# RUSSIA (ZONE 7- Irkutsk dst, Ulan-Ude dst, Bratsk dst, Ust'-Ordynsky dst)
# SINGAPORE (Singapore)
# TAIWAN (Taipei)

These are all in GMT+9. If you're not, then there's something seriously wrong.

hoosierhiver
10-11-2009, 05:01 PM
UkeNinja, are you located in one of these areas?

# AUSTRALIA (Western Australia dst- Perth)
# BRUNEI DARUSSALAM (Bandar Seri Begawan)
# CHINA (Beijing, Shanghai)
# HONG KONG (China)
# INDONESIA (central- Bali, Borneo, Celebes/Ujung Pandang)
# MACAU (Macao)
# MALAYSIA (Kuala Lumpur)
# MONGOLIA (Ulaanbaatar)
# PHILIPPINES (Manila)
# RUSSIA (ZONE 7- Irkutsk dst, Ulan-Ude dst, Bratsk dst, Ust'-Ordynsky dst)
# SINGAPORE (Singapore)
# TAIWAN (Taipei)

These are all in GMT+9. If you're not, then there's something seriously wrong.

You'll notice if you take the first letter of each country in that order, it spells out CHIMMPRST. I think this is more seroius than I ever imagined.:eek:

eleuke
10-11-2009, 05:04 PM
You'll notice if you take the first letter of each country in that order, it spells out CHIMMPRST. I think this is more seroius than I ever imagined.:eek:

Thanks, dude, that was the belly laugh I needed to get through the day.

hoosierhiver
10-11-2009, 05:17 PM
but seriously it's what, about 20 new members a day?

Boozelele
10-11-2009, 05:53 PM
Then there are us old weeds. You know the kind, you can slash and burn all day long, and we'll just keep coming back. Like the old "Wildwood Weed".

bunnyflower
10-11-2009, 05:58 PM

There is no Dana, only ZUUL!
:smileybounce:

I am one of the new ones. I've lurked a bit on and off, and then was encouraged by a friend to actually register. So here, I am... this will definitely encourage my ukulele addiction. I am developing the "poor girl's version" of UAS; I keep making lists of nice ukes I would like to acquire someday, on a day that I like to call "magic day." ;)

sukie
10-11-2009, 05:58 PM

you get my vote for best post of the day!:rofl:

seeso
10-11-2009, 06:16 PM

I'm not privy to that information.

eleuke
10-11-2009, 09:58 PM
Hey Bunnyflower, give me your address. I totally wanna deach you. You deserve a good uke. Magic day is coming sooner than you thought... (But please get those damnable jumping icon graphics out of your sig!)

Kanaka916
10-12-2009, 12:52 AM
I don't know if anyone else pays attention to this at the bottom of the page, (except for Ukulelerob), but there seems to be new-new members at a furious rate.

I guess we've all watched the number of members increase. The number I pay most attention to is the Active Members. When I first signed up, there were less than 500 active members. I remember threads/posts asking will UU have 5000 members and a running tab was kept. As far as stats go - Admin will probably know.

Eh eleuke, From Big Island? or another local acronym?

Rainhill
10-12-2009, 01:44 AM
I've not been here that long (but am turning into a baby post-whore!), and I've noticed the member list flying up. Is that not a good thing? Or were you guys pround of keeping Underground underground..:D.

I'm thinking of changing my screeen name to Reaper....every time I add to a discussion it dies off :( :rolleyes:

WhenDogsSing
10-12-2009, 03:33 AM
The prettiest of wildflowers are nothing more than weeds...Welcome to all you new weeds out there...:D

Matt Clara
10-12-2009, 03:35 AM
Hey Bunnyflower, give me your address. I totally wanna deach you. You deserve a good uke. Magic day is coming sooner than you thought... (But please get those damnable jumping icon graphics out of your sig!)

I just saw her video, and I would totally like to deach her, too!

Wait, what does "deach" mean again?
;)

My daughter has the same pink Makala Dolphin uke she does. It's a great deal for $35.

hoosierhiver
10-12-2009, 03:44 AM
The prettiest of wildflowers are nothing more than weeds...Welcome to all you new weeds out there...:D

Well said, ukulele wildflowers!

Kanaka916
10-12-2009, 03:54 AM
I've not been here that long (but am turning into a baby post-whore!), and I've noticed the member list flying up. Is that not a good thing? Or were you guys pround of keeping Underground underground..:D.

I'm thinking of changing my screeen name to Reaper....every time I add to a discussion it dies off :( :rolleyes:
If you're referring to my post, no, it's a good thing to watch this community grow and expand worldwide. I believe the object was to offer a website for every level of playing; where beginners can learn, intermediate players can get better and advanced players can offer/share their knowledge insights and experiences. I think the expectations have been exceeded and hopefully the admin staff will agree with me.

sukie
10-12-2009, 03:57 AM
If you're referring to my post, no, it's a good thing to watch this community grow and expand worldwide. I believe the object was to offer a website for every level of playing; where beginners can learn, intermediate players can get better and advanced players can offer/share their knowledge insights and experiences. I think the expectations have been exceeded and hopefully the admin staff will agree with me.

i can't believe they ever imagined all this happening. plus many other side things have happened. uwc, friendships and way too many videos to ever watch.

specialmike
10-12-2009, 04:10 AM
On Dec. 21, 2012, the world as we know it, will end. In the new world, ukuleles will no longer be considered a toy and will be thoroughly recognized by everyone on earth and other planets. :) And we'll have a jump on them!

What? a little conspiracy doesn't hurt anyone.

ukuleG
10-12-2009, 04:29 AM
if i dress up as a girl can i be deached too?.

sukie
10-12-2009, 04:35 AM
if i dress up as a girl can i be deached too?.

no. but he might adopt you!

ukuleG
10-12-2009, 04:37 AM
no. but he might adopt you!

that could work out i suppose.

bunnyflower
10-12-2009, 05:03 AM
Ok, I'm really showing my new-ness here...

What is getting Deached?

RevWill
10-12-2009, 05:12 AM

What is getting Deached?

Receiving an ukulele as a gift in a selfless act of generosity. Someone decides that you a) deserve a nicer uke, or b) would really appreciate it, or c) both.

It's named after Ukulele Underground member Deach, who is well known for giving ukes to people. We verbed his name.

Captain_Lovehandles
10-12-2009, 05:19 AM
Exactly. It means, in this case, that Eleuke wants to give you a ukulele. Completely not out of the ordinary around here. And Deachings often get paid forward, so it's a really cool thing.

Matt Clara
10-12-2009, 05:38 AM

What is getting Deached?

Sorry if my untoward comment threw you off! I just can't let some opportunities pass, even when I should know better!

bunnyflower
10-12-2009, 05:49 AM
Receiving an ukulele as a gift in a selfless act of generosity. Someone decides that you a) deserve a nicer uke, or b) would really appreciate it, or c) both.

It's named after Ukulele Underground member Deach, who is well known for giving ukes to people. We verbed his name.

Holy Cow!! Really? Thank you thank you thank you Eleuke!!!

Wow!

Thank you!

(Sorry for the excessive exclamation point abuse. But. Excited!!! Wow.)

SeePM
10-12-2009, 05:50 AM
I am a Noob and a Weed - - - A Noobweed of uke player. Thanks for havin' us.

bunnyflower
10-12-2009, 05:54 AM
Sorry if my untoward comment threw you off! I just can't let some opportunities pass, even when I should know better!

Don't worry, I have a ridiculous / insane sense of humor; very little would ever throw me off. Hah!

ukeshale
10-12-2009, 06:00 AM
Holy Cow!! Really? Thank you thank you thank you Eleuke!!!

Wow!

Thank you!

(Sorry for the excessive exclamation point abuse. But. Excited!!! Wow.)

ain't this community just the best :D

Rainhill
10-12-2009, 06:08 AM

I was actually referring to a comment I've seen somewhere (I really cant think where tho, honest) which gives a little hint that the older members preferred the site when it was a little more 'underground'. Having been a longstanding member on another (not uke-related) forum, I totally understand and appreciate this.

Just for the record, this forum is awesome, lots of great people and from the looks of it true (rather than 'cyber) friendships, as well as information and experience a plenty. I am glad to be a part of it!

eleuke
10-12-2009, 09:10 AM
I guess we've all watched the number of members increase. The number I pay most attention to is the Active Members. When I first signed up, there were less than 500 active members. I remember threads/posts asking will UU have 5000 members and a running tab was kept. As far as stats go - Admin will probably know.

Eh eleuke, From Big Island? or another local acronym?

Yep, From Big Island...

sukie
10-12-2009, 09:14 AM
if you want to keep the little wildflower, ukeshale, happy -- just use a lot of exclamation points!!!:D

Hobgoblin Steve
10-12-2009, 10:04 AM

there is no Ukulele Underground...only Zuul

Hankthetank
10-12-2009, 10:27 AM
Well said, ukulele wildflowers!

That must explain why I always feel so pretty when I am playing my uke.
One of the first thing that my wise sensei said to me when I first met him was that at one time, we are all beginners. I have progressed over the last year and have become an ok player. And there are some aspects of my playing where I am still a newbie.
The great thing about this site is that I have made some great relationships with people I have met here. I have met people that I consider great people and supremely talented. Everyone I have ever corresponded with to ask a question has always been so gracious in their advice and responses. And I am eternally grateful for that.
Every now and again, a weed will come out in this field of flowers, but I think that is the exception rather than the rule.
I say the more the merrier.

mokai
10-12-2009, 10:36 AM
the people aren't weeds.. their uke collections are the weeds. a little UAS as fertilizer and presto... you have yourself an empty wallet... i mean.. well you know what I mean

just woke time to bake

koko
10-12-2009, 11:01 AM
I'm also a weed... maybe a slightly older weed than the ones the OP was referring to, but a weed none the less... I still haven't reached that point where I feel skilled enough to start handing out advice rather than ask for it - but I love this forum, it's so friendly!! I also love the concept of Deaching - very generous and selfless!!

sukie
10-12-2009, 11:08 AM
i'm not skilled at all, but it doesn't stop me from posting, nor giving advice. i really like it here. i spend way too much time here. but, what can i do?:D

p.s. i'm not sure if i'm a weed or not, but i have a very, very deep root!
plus, weeds are only ugly if you don't like them.

ChamorroDT
10-12-2009, 11:09 AM
the people aren't weeds.. their uke collections are the weeds. a little UAS as fertilizer and presto... you have yourself an empty wallet... i mean.. well you know what I mean

just woke time to bake

:rotfl: Good stuff...

WhenDogsSing
10-12-2009, 11:36 AM
p.s. i'm not sure if i'm a weed or not, but i have a very, very deep root!
plus, weeds are only ugly if you don't like them.

Weeds are only "unwanted" plants...Most wildflowers are called weeds but they are actually very pretty when they bloom...So I don't consider any plant a weed as I know it has a time when it will bloom...:D

RevWill
10-12-2009, 11:42 AM
Weeds are only "unwanted" plants...Most wildflowers are called weeds but they are actually very pretty when they bloom...So I don't consider any plant a weed as I know it has a time when it will bloom...:D

If you water it, fertilize it, care for it meticulously and it dies, it's a plant.
If you try to kill it and it comes back, it's a weed.

hoosierhiver
10-12-2009, 03:47 PM
I've got a couple of acres that I've been burning annually and seeding with native wildflowers and native grasses. After about 5 years, it's starting to look great. I love watching the birds and other animals enjoying it.

UkuleleHill
10-12-2009, 04:07 PM
I've got a couple of acres that I've been burning annually and seeding with native wildflowers and native grasses. After about 5 years, it's starting to look great. I love watching the birds and other animals enjoying it.

That's awesome!

Vindelanda
10-12-2009, 05:15 PM
I suppose I'm part of this group of weeds! :D
I'm a bit more of a lurker than a poster, though. I should really get posting, though, I've learned so much from you all and it would be wonderful to get to know you guys and posting should do that!

A lot of forums tend to do this...Another forum I was on had a big boom recently, and now things are settling down. A decent percentage of them leave, but there are a few that become the new senior members, and some old senior members leave. So really, the forum doesn't grow as much as it seems when you look at it at first.

Boozelele
10-12-2009, 08:43 PM

There is a ukulele analogy in your quote, but I'm not sappy enough to find it. Something about ukuleles bringing out the best in people...anyway...

It's God's country where you live Mike. I'll be the first to admit that I had no idea Indiana would be so beautiful.

eleuke
10-12-2009, 08:48 PM

Speaking of burning, did you have any idea this thread would take off like wildfire, Hoosierhiver?

GrumpyCoyote
10-12-2009, 08:53 PM
Oddly, and absolutely irrelevantly, I was writing a song right before I read this thread. The hook is currently "Even a rose is a weed if it's not where it's meant to be".

Interesting - only to me most likely, but still an odd coincidence.

As for the topic - I can't tell how many we get a day, but I can say that we are getting very close in member count to some other instrument boards (not uke - UU is the biggest) that have been around much longer and have a MUCH larger potential audience.

I'd wager we are one of the fastest growing music boards out there.

eleuke
10-12-2009, 09:08 PM
Oddly, and absolutely irrelevantly, I was writing a song right before I read this thread. The hook is currently "Even a rose is a weed if it's not where it's meant to be".

Interesting - only to me most likely, but still an odd coincidence.

As for the topic - I can't tell how many we get a day, but I can say that we are getting very close in member count to some other instrument boards (not uke - UU is the biggest) that have been around much longer and have a MUCH larger potential audience.

I'd wager we are one of the fastest growing music boards out there.

I really like that hook. And I really liked Wander. Thanks...

hoosierhiver
10-13-2009, 03:32 AM
Fast growing, but we are maintaining our character and class.

As I've said before, There is something special about ukulele players.

dnewton2
10-13-2009, 05:30 AM
As I've said before, There is something special about ukulele players.

Special. Yeah thats what we'll call it.:D

Choboy
10-13-2009, 06:04 AM

ahahahahahaha. that made me laugh

Ukeffect
10-13-2009, 06:09 AM
Then there are us old weeds. You know the kind, you can slash and burn all day long, and we'll just keep coming back. Like the old "Wildwood Weed".
Hey Boozie...is that the song that goes
" The wildwood flower grew wild on the farm, we never knowed what it was called.
Some said t'was a flower, some said t'was a weed, I didn't give it much thought.
Then one day I was talkin' to my brother, and I reached down for a weed to chew on...Things got fuzzy, & things got blurry, then everythin' was gone! ...." ?
I sooo want to do that on the UKE...with harmonica, and maybe strumstick!

:D

Ahnko Honu
10-13-2009, 08:39 AM
I don't burn weed but I do drink beer.

freedive135
10-13-2009, 10:16 AM
I was thinking of this thread last night.

I just started playing Guitar and have joined a Forum for that, I was scanning some of the posts and noticed the rudeness about "Use the F'n search this has been posted about".
I know there are a LOT of "which string?" threads here but WE are never rude about it and someone will comealong and nicely answer the poster.

Then I noticed the hatered from some guitar owners toward people with cheeper brands/models.
There is no way I am going to spend 2000.00 bucks on a reissue Fender Stratocaster when my 200.00 Squier sounds bad cuz of my ability.

That is one of the things I have never seen happening here, I have never seen anyone tell someone with a Mahalo that there Uke is a piece of S*&%.
We just tellem to put Aquilla's on it.

Welcome to the weeds and stay nice in the sunshine!!!!!!!

Boozelele
10-13-2009, 10:32 AM
Hey Boozie...is that the song that goes
" The wildwood flower grew wild on the farm, we never knowed what it was called.
Some said t'was a flower, some said t'was a weed, I didn't give it much thought.
Then one day I was talkin' to my brother, and I reached down for a weed to chew on...Things got fuzzy, & things got blurry, then everythin' was gone! ...." ?
I sooo want to do that on the UKE...with harmonica, and maybe strumstick!

:D

Ha! yeah. I was wondering if someone would do that song at some point. Another great blast from the past.

"we just smiled and waved....sittin there on that sack of seeds..."

Fuzzy
10-13-2009, 12:10 PM
Hey, I guess I'm a weed, as well. I just joined the other day and this is my first or second post (can't remember which - damn that short term memory loss). I'm just gonna lurk around here for a while and perhaps post the occasional comment. So remember - I'm watching you....

sukie
10-13-2009, 12:12 PM
hey, fuzzy -- welcome to UU!

Fuzzy
10-13-2009, 12:15 PM
Thanx! Great to be here!

Old Bird
10-13-2009, 12:25 PM
I was thinking of this thread last night.

I just started playing Guitar and have joined a Forum for that, I was scanning some of the posts and noticed the rudeness about "Use the F'n search this has been posted about".

You know, I never thought about it but that is probably one of the many things that makes this board so nice to be a part of. I belong to lots of boards supporting lots of hobbies (I have WAY too many). This is probably the first board I've been a part of where the same questions are asked over and over again, and the answer isn't "USE THE SEARCH!" I frequently try to search, and if my specific question isn't answered, either because I suck at searching or it wasn't directly covered, I'll ask again. I really appreciate that there isn't any attacking people that ask the same question. We each have a slightly different question, and we each like to have it answered individually. Even if it's just for reassurance.

So, thanks to everyone on this board for making it a nice place to be. I've felt attacked here once, but in looking back on it it was my own sensitivity as much as anyone else's response. I like this board, and I hope to not be a weed forever.

I think the growth of n00bs here has to do with two things: the growth of ukes in the public eye, and the fact that this is a great place to be.

existence
10-13-2009, 02:34 PM
You know, I never thought about it but that is probably one of the many things that makes this board so nice to be a part of. I belong to lots of boards supporting lots of hobbies (I have WAY too many). This is probably the first board I've been a part of where the same questions are asked over and over again, and the answer isn't "USE THE SEARCH!" I frequently try to search, and if my specific question isn't answered, either because I suck at searching or it wasn't directly covered, I'll ask again. I really appreciate that there isn't any attacking people that ask the same question. We each have a slightly different question, and we each like to have it answered individually. Even if it's just for reassurance.

So, thanks to everyone on this board for making it a nice place to be. I've felt attacked here once, but in looking back on it it was my own sensitivity as much as anyone else's response. I like this board, and I hope to not be a weed forever.

I think the growth of n00bs here has to do with two things: the growth of ukes in the public eye, and the fact that this is a great place to be.

Hear, hear! I am a forum junkie, and this is one of the most well-mannered and even-tempered ones I've found. The regulars will actually talk to and answer questions from newer users, and they do it with great patience and a genuine desire to help out.

Thanks guys!

existence
10-13-2009, 03:06 PM
Oh wow, I just noticed that the title under my username changed from "junior member" to "member"....

*wipes tear from eye*

UkuleleHill
10-13-2009, 03:18 PM
Oh wow, I just noticed that the title under my username changed from "junior member" to "member"....

*wipes tear from eye*

Our baby is grown up so fast! ;)

existence
10-13-2009, 03:49 PM
Ahem....I'd like to thank my agent....my family...my amazing wife, love ya babe....my ukuleles....my...

*gets pulled off stage by giant cane*

Doctroid
10-19-2009, 08:50 AM
Way back at the beginning of this thread there was a question, and here's my best shot at answering it:

On 10/12 (at 09:44 EST) there were 16884 members, 3098 active members.
On 10/19 (at 13:38 EST) there were 17113 members, 3125 active members.

So in a week, about 230 new members (net), about 30 new active members. Roughly 1.5% and 1.0% growth per week, respectively. If that growth rate holds steady it corresponds to doubling the number of members in about 11 months, the number of active members in about 16 months.

seeso
10-19-2009, 08:52 AM
Way back at the beginning of this thread there was a question, and here's my best shot at answering it:

So in a week, about 230 new members (net), about 30 new active members. Roughly 1.5% and 1.0% growth per week, respectively. If that growth rate holds steady it corresponds to doubling the number of members in about 11 months, the number of active members in about 16 months.

Nice work! Thanks for the math.

Citrus
10-19-2009, 09:03 AM

Everybody do your part! Bring the public to the uke by bringing your uke to the public!

I just came back from a cardiologist appointment and I knew the wait would be ridiculous so I brought my uke and played for everyone who was waiting

UKISOCIETY
10-19-2009, 09:03 AM
Nice work! Thanks for the math.

I was told there wouldn't be any math.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_rNGHGDmZH2k/R9oHdqOGe6I/AAAAAAAAAq0/QltTKzc_oYA/s400/gerald+ford+chase.jpg