good concert uke

LazyPancakes

Reaction score
I'm just trying to find a good concert uke that will last me until the end of the school year. when i graduate ill probably have more money saved up and be able to buy me one that will last me through out my college days. shoot me some opinions

also a good place to buy and other accessory items i might want to buy

I think you're best bet would be to contact MGM. Tell him what you're looking for and what your budget is. As of this post, he's on the road and his next stop is Eugene, Oregon for Uketoberfest.

I'm just trying to find a good concert uke that will last me until the end of the school year. when i graduate ill probably have more money saved up and be able to buy me one that will last me through out my college days. shoot me some opinions

also a good place to buy and other accessory items i might want to buy
I agree with Kanaka916. I got a Makala Tenor from MGM a couple of months ago and am very happy with it. The price was within my budget and it was set up perfectly. It seems to be a good uke for the money and MGM's service is second to none.

I'll just be re-iterating what the others have said already.

The easiest way is to goto Musicguymic's store on eBay (linked in above post) and find one that you like that fits your budget.

Well...in the LINKS section of the UU homepage, they have a short list of Premium and Affordable Uke's. It's not a complete list of the possibilities for you, but I suggest you take a look through there and if you find something you like...well then there you go.

But you asked for suggestions, so...I recommend a Kala or Lanikai Concert - they're pretty affordable and should last more than until the end of your school year. When you have more money, hit up the "Premium" section. And then when you're ready...get a completely custom one. Haha. :D

WARNING: Watch out for that UAS that's been going around...it seems to be affecting a lot of people. Haha :D

oh thanks, well id say the most i can spend right now is around 200.

Last edited:
With a $200 budget you can get a good concert uke. Kala, Ohana, and the new koalana ukes come to mind. You should be able to get a solid wood uke or at least solid top (I would go for one of those) or a laminate.

I already have a clip on tuner lol, isn't there bad sides to friction tuners?

I already have a clip on tuner lol, isn't there bad sides to friction tuners?

They can be a little tricky to get used to. But that is about it as far as I am concerned. I have both friction and geared on different ukes and I really don't mind either. Both types have pros and cons.

This topic has been the source of some great debate here on the forums.

I see.. I saw a vid from mgm on the koalana uke and it sounds great! I think im leaning towards the koalana.

Last edited:
Personally I would go for something with geared tuners.
Its just so much more convenient and easy to tune up.
Friction tuners sometimes drive me up the wall on days that I feel impatient :rolleyes:

If your budget is $200 including shipping, I would go for a Kala concert uke with electric pickup:
http://cgi.ebay.com/KA-CE-KALA-Maho...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a539da5d2

You may think you don't need a pickup.. but that's what I thought at first before I realised how cool and versatile being able to have the option of plugging it in is. Shadow Nanoflex pickups are great stuff (and expensive to set up after-market :( ).

The above uke is laminate, but I think they still sound very good. And you don't need to worry about humidifying.

And the awesome case + chord book included are great to have :D

Last edited:
Ive been reading goods and bads about the koalana ukes lol getting kinda sketchy.

i see what you mean it makes it very versitile. hmm

oh no uas.. aha

Last edited:
Ive been reading goods and bads about the koalana ukes lol getting kinda sketchy.

Just an fyi. The koalana ukuleles that MGM has now are different then the old ones. Koaloha used to put out koalana ukulele but they had issues with the quality they were getting from the factory in ______ (overseas somewhere, i forget where). They stopped using that factory and have now started working with a new factory overseas somewhere. So there is a good chance what you have read is about the old ones since the new once just came out in the last few weeks or so.

I am not saying get one for this reason, the choice is all yours. I just want you to have the info so that you can make the best decision for yourself. I personally have not tried any of the koalana ukes so I have no first hand info.

Happy uke shopping.:D

Thanks! I'm doing alot of research on it right now, I just feel like im ready to upgrade from my hilo suprano. I've been wanting a concert for a while now and the kolana seems to fit my liking. thanks everyone for the input

Edit: alright I'm going with the koalana forsure! got the the one on ebay from mgm

still kinda confused on how to use paypal but oh well it'll get sorted out aha

Last edited:
Top Bottom