PDA

View Full Version : how long have you been playing?

Kaneohe til the end
04-21-2008, 10:52 PM
out of curiosity, how long has anyone been playing, and if anyone took or is taking lessons.

ive been playing for the better part of a year, but ive been totally obsessed and play everyday so i'd like to think that im getting decent, and i go to sakumas once a week. (sound newb, but das aight)

UkuCouS
04-21-2008, 11:35 PM
I've been playing for almost 2 years now, also playing everyday ;)

UkuLeLesReggAe
04-21-2008, 11:35 PM
Did we already have a thread about this??

Anyway - I been playing since about the end of November last year. So i guess 6months?

I dont get lessons... learn form what ever goes down on the net

deach
04-22-2008, 12:31 AM
34 days and counting...

dnewton2
04-22-2008, 01:12 AM
I have been plaing since about last Nov. ('07) play almost everyday, even when I have to travel for work. I haven't taken any lessons, except for anything online.

14twelve
04-22-2008, 01:13 AM
Less than a month. Started playing on the Easter weekend, and am working my way through Aldrine's lessons (doing the iamhawaii.com ones first in case they disappear :))

Esy
04-22-2008, 01:25 AM
Somting about half year. Played every day from start..

UkuLeLesReggAe
04-22-2008, 01:49 AM
i dont have chance to play everyday i play maybe 1 hour a week?

no time.. :(

UkuCouS
04-22-2008, 02:12 AM
I'm pretty sure you can get at least half an hour a day to play.

Plainsong
04-22-2008, 02:17 AM
I play about 30 minutes a day easily. Maybe a little more sometimes. I still don't have a huge arsenal of songs, and do still mostly strum though. I started around this past fall.

UkuLeLesReggAe
04-22-2008, 02:21 AM
lmaoooooo my dad will get me to do something if im sitting there playing the ukulele.

Get up at 6 get ready for school leave at 7.. get home at 5 and do homework until 6:30, eat at 7 until 7:30.. have a shower at 8 until 8:30 check mi email until like 8:45 - do assignments at 9 - 10... do the dishes until 10:30, hop in bed and listen to music until i drift off... but i usually sit there until 12 until i actually fall sleep

dnewton2
04-22-2008, 02:27 AM
do the dishes until 10:30, hop in bed and listen to music until i drift off... but i usually sit there until 12 until i actually fall sleep

Just a suggestion. if you are up till 12 and are just chillin after 1030 pick up the uke for 30 min or so. Make the music you are listening to.

Live2Sponge
04-22-2008, 02:30 AM
started in Nov. played pretty much everyday except spr break. went mainland, regretted not bringing my baby with me. no lessons, mostly aldrine's lessons and whatever is online :)

seeso
04-22-2008, 05:25 AM
I've been playing for almost two years. Love it. I play for at least an hour every day.

Ukulele_Junkie
04-22-2008, 05:44 AM
i started to playing since july of 2007

russ_buss
04-22-2008, 06:10 AM
Started December 2007 and have been having way too much fun with it lately.

hoosieruke
04-22-2008, 07:27 AM
I'm a third (of four) generation player. I received my first uke 39 yrs. ago. My teenage daughters both play.

Keonikapila
04-22-2008, 07:45 AM
Well, I've been playing for close to 10 years now...the first time I played the uke was in 7th grade (something like 14 or 15 years ago). The school I went to (Aliamanu Intermediate) taught ukulele for their "General Music" course. I was pretty good and I loved it, but unfortunately, my parents refused to buy me a uke at the time (due to a horrific failure trying to learn trumpet in the 4th grade-they decided they would never buy me another instrument again). After graduation I enlisted in the Air Force and ran into some Hawaiians and started playing their ukes more than them. Eventually bought my own and it's been non-stop ever since.

I never took classes (other than that one semester in 7th grade), but I've always wanted to...but it costs too much haha. So I'm primarily self-taught, I learned from friends, experimentation, and the internet. I think I'm passable as a decent player, but I'd still love to get some advanced lessons one day--at the very least it'll give my practicing a little more focus.

Somebody mentioned the Sakuma school, how is that? Do they deep into theory and the "hows and whys," or do they primarily just teach you how to play songs?

seeso
04-22-2008, 07:53 AM
I'm a third (of four) generation player. I received my first uke 39 yrs. ago. My teenage daughters both play.

Awesome!! :D

Kira
04-22-2008, 07:56 AM
Started a month ago , 22 March and i play every day

Lanark
04-22-2008, 08:41 AM
I'm guessing that the first time I picked up an actual ukulele was probably February 13, 2008, the first time I was at the In-laws townhouse in Pearl City.
They've got a 30 odd year old Kamaka soprano which I fooled around with a little bit and their friend at who's house we were staying has and really nice old one (might be a Kumalae. That one sounded really nice.) that I plinked a bit on.

I had my own within the week. Play virtually everyday right now even if it's just for a minute or two picking it up while the lovely wife gets ready before we go someplace.

I've already got 30 years of guitar playing behind me, so I kind of raced through a "Teach Yourself" book for chords and took it from there. Mostly I just sit at my desk here and plunk around until I find something that sounds interesting....

hoosieruke
04-22-2008, 08:45 AM
You can dig around here to learn about our ukulele legacy.

http://www.indiana.edu/~tradarts/craftingsound/index.html

or here:

http://www.youtube.com/bluestonefolkschool (http://www.youtube.com/bluestonefolkschool)

(But I can't get Mom to play much anymore)

statrixbob
04-22-2008, 08:58 AM
Let's see...

I've been playing 41 years with about a 40.75 year break between practice sessions. I played for a little in elementary school around age 9, then not again till last Friday when I bought a new GString. :-)

Aloha!

hoosieruke
04-22-2008, 09:01 AM
Congrats Bob H! You're gonna have a ball!

slusamson
04-22-2008, 10:29 AM
I've been playing a little over 2 years now. A friend gave me a cheap $10 as a joke and I hopped on the internet to figure out how to tune it up and play a few chords... Made his draw drop the next day when I went back and played "Five Foot Two" for him. Always loved that song because my dad used to play it on his guitar when I was growing up.

After that I was hooked, I bought a Bounty Music soprano student model that I played up until last week when I bought my Kamaka.

I play every day and currently trying to focus more on picking skills these days (I never thought I'd be capable of learning it when I first started)...

russ_buss
04-22-2008, 10:49 AM
I've been playing a little over 2 years now. A friend gave me a cheap $10 as a joke and I hopped on the internet to figure out how to tune it up and play a few chords... Made his draw drop the next day when I went back and played "Five Foot Two" for him. Always loved that song because my dad used to play it on his guitar when I was growing up.

After that I was hooked, I bought a Bounty Music soprano student model that I played up until last week when I bought my Kamaka.

I play every day and currently trying to focus more on picking skills these days (I never thought I'd be capable of learning it when I first started)...

from a gag gift to a kamaka, nice! it's the natural progression of things once you're hooked!

my dad used to play "five foot two" when i was a kid as well. fast forward a couple decades later, and it's my turn!

sukie
04-22-2008, 11:29 AM
I started playing in Feb. of this year. Took lessons on a cruise ship and got hooked. I bought a ukulele in Honolulu and play at least an hour every day. I found a ukulele teacher (sort of -- really teaches guitar but knows uke) and have had lessons for two months. What an awesome insturment.

GX9901
04-22-2008, 11:29 AM
I've been playing for about 15 months now. I'm not sure how much time I play the uke each day but it must be well over an hour. I caught some serious UAS and always have at least a couple of ukes within reach at my house. As far as I know there aren't instructors here in Minnesota so I've learned from DVD's, books, and online materials. I can't get enough of ukuleles and hopefully my playing can continue to progress.

sukie
04-22-2008, 11:40 AM
GX9901 -

I am taking lessons at Homestead Pickin' Parlor in Richfield. My teacher's name is Gigi Nauer. She's awesome. She's really a guitar teacher but knows the ukulele. I highly recommend her if you are interested. Thursday night will be my 4th lesson with her.

Are you going to see Jake Shimabukuro at the Dakota on Sunday night?

Sukie

NukeDOC
04-22-2008, 11:46 AM
been on the keys on and off for about 20 years. that taught me my first bit of music theory, but mostly how to construct a chord and its simple morphology. used that knowledge to teach myself guitar when i picked it up about 15 yrs ago. never really got that good on the guitar. picked up my first real ukulele while on vacation in hawaii... aug2007. understanding the uke has actually made it easier to understand the guitar and the keyboard much better now than i ever used to. also, taking an offer to teach guitar has forced me to learn the music theory over again, and i have been able to apply that to the ukulele, then then guitar, and now it has even helped me on the keys.

so yeah, as of this post, 8 months. never took any formal lessons on ukulele. but learning it has helped me improved so much with the other instruments.

anyone else out there have a similar experience after picking up the ukulele?

GX9901
04-22-2008, 11:49 AM
GX9901 -

I am taking lessons at Homestead Pickin' Parlor in Richfield. My teacher's name is Gigi Nauer. She's awesome. She's really a guitar teacher but knows the ukulele. I highly recommend her if you are interested. Thursday night will be my 4th lesson with her.

Are you going to see Jake Shimabukuro at the Dakota on Sunday night?

Sukie

Cool, I might have to check out the lessons.

JAKE IS GOING TO BE IN MINNESOTA??? I DID NOT KNOW THAT! Holy crap! I'm going to have to do everything I can to make it there. Thank you so much for pointing it out. I never thought he'd never set foot in MN! Sweet!

nikolo727
04-22-2008, 11:57 AM
I have been playing for about....2 and a half years maybe?

No I havent taken lessons because in Pennsylvania there are only lessons on how to grow corn.

i play almost every day. I went almost 4 weeks without playing one time though.

i had musical practice for ever!

argg. talking about not playing makes me want to play right now!!!

ima go get it now

:)

peace on!

backdoc972
04-22-2008, 03:24 PM
I've had mine for a couple of years, but I hadn't played in months, but I picked it back up after I heard Jason Castro do Over the Rainbow on Idol. (as much as so many of you didn't like that) Anyway, it spurred me on to dig mine out (I'm primarily a guitar player) and put new strings on and start playing again. It also spurred me to buy a nicer uke from MGM. It should be here Thursday (tenor mahogony Pono)

angeles206
04-22-2008, 03:45 PM
i visited to Oahu for a couple weeks in February, bought a cheap leolani uke just for fun. my cousin tought me honey baby and surf, but i didnt really think i'd be so hooked on it. and then i started seeing a lot of videos on youtube from seeso, guting, aldrine, danyo, etc. and ever since i've been playing it about everyday. :D i've just been teaching myself things through youtube and some other sites. i barely touch my guitar anymore. = \

Valerie
04-22-2008, 04:10 PM
I've been playing for exactly 1 day.

No lessons anytime soon, though. I'm off to my summer internship in a few weeks and needed a portable instrument. So far the ukulele has been great fun and I've been playing it too much (I should be, you know, writing my final papers and studying for my exams...)

Would definetly love to take lessons in the future. For now, I'm just using the resources on this site.

KoloheBoy
04-22-2008, 06:38 PM
I've been playing well over 6 years now. Started in 4rth grade and played almost everyday since. I went from using a small lanikai soprano to a concert to a limited edition extended koa ovation tenor w/ pickup. I just wanna get into a band now.

gobes
04-22-2008, 07:18 PM
I bought mine on April 7. So just over two weeks now.
All I can do right now is strum some chords, too bad I can't sing. Eventually I want to be able to do some fingerstyle songs.

Lanark
04-23-2008, 04:11 AM
Wow, so there's actually three of us in the Twin Cities area? Who'd a guessed that...?

But Jake Shimabukuro at the Dakota... I may have to hit up my buddy who cooks there and see if he can hook me up...

Howlin Hobbit
04-23-2008, 05:28 PM
My story is too long to type up everytime this sort of subject arises so I just posted it here (http://howlinhobbit.com/blog/pivot/entry.php?id=247&t=staticpage_template.html).

Old and lazy. That's me.

OrangeUke
04-23-2008, 05:33 PM
I've been playing since September but guitar lessons for over 5 years helps in learning how to play :p