how long have you been playing?

Kaneohe til the end

Reaction score
out of curiosity, how long has anyone been playing, and if anyone took or is taking lessons.

ive been playing for the better part of a year, but ive been totally obsessed and play everyday so i'd like to think that im getting decent, and i go to sakumas once a week. (sound newb, but das aight)

Did we already have a thread about this??

Anyway - I been playing since about the end of November last year. So i guess 6months?

I dont get lessons... learn form what ever goes down on the net

I have been plaing since about last Nov. ('07) play almost everyday, even when I have to travel for work. I haven't taken any lessons, except for anything online.

Somting about half year. Played every day from start..

I play about 30 minutes a day easily. Maybe a little more sometimes. I still don't have a huge arsenal of songs, and do still mostly strum though. I started around this past fall.

lmaoooooo my dad will get me to do something if im sitting there playing the ukulele.

Get up at 6 get ready for school leave at 7.. get home at 5 and do homework until 6:30, eat at 7 until 7:30.. have a shower at 8 until 8:30 check mi email until like 8:45 - do assignments at 9 - 10... do the dishes until 10:30, hop in bed and listen to music until i drift off... but i usually sit there until 12 until i actually fall sleep

do the dishes until 10:30, hop in bed and listen to music until i drift off... but i usually sit there until 12 until i actually fall sleep

Just a suggestion. if you are up till 12 and are just chillin after 1030 pick up the uke for 30 min or so. Make the music you are listening to.

started in Nov. played pretty much everyday except spr break. went mainland, regretted not bringing my baby with me. no lessons, mostly aldrine's lessons and whatever is online :)

Well, I've been playing for close to 10 years now...the first time I played the uke was in 7th grade (something like 14 or 15 years ago). The school I went to (Aliamanu Intermediate) taught ukulele for their "General Music" course. I was pretty good and I loved it, but unfortunately, my parents refused to buy me a uke at the time (due to a horrific failure trying to learn trumpet in the 4th grade-they decided they would never buy me another instrument again). After graduation I enlisted in the Air Force and ran into some Hawaiians and started playing their ukes more than them. Eventually bought my own and it's been non-stop ever since.

I never took classes (other than that one semester in 7th grade), but I've always wanted to...but it costs too much haha. So I'm primarily self-taught, I learned from friends, experimentation, and the internet. I think I'm passable as a decent player, but I'd still love to get some advanced lessons one day--at the very least it'll give my practicing a little more focus.

Somebody mentioned the Sakuma school, how is that? Do they deep into theory and the "hows and whys," or do they primarily just teach you how to play songs?

Top Bottom