Tuner knobs keep on turning on its own!?

Jecks

Reaction score
hey guys, i just got a new uke. and the tuner knobs keep on moving on its own because the strings just give too much tension and tend to pull back. How can i fix this?

:agree:

Yup, if they're friction pegs, just carefully tighten the centre screw until it overcomes the pull of the strings. Be a bit careful not to overtighten.

If they're not friction pegs but geared tuners (very unlikely, under the circumstances) then they shouldn't be slipping back in the first place.

hey guys, sorry for bringing back this old post.
but are there any strings that do not hold back as much as my generic brand strings? and apparently i have to constantly keep tightening the screws on the knobs. help me please?

It's not unusual to have to tighten friction tuners every now and again... If it's more than once every few weeks, you may have to buy a tube (or tin) of peg dope to assist.

Cheap fix.

as grumpy said, its unlikely that they come loose too often...but being time for weather change...at least here in the midwest, as they air dries out i find myself tightening them up...do be careful as you can crack plastic tuning pegs easily by over tightening them.

i had exactly the same problem with friction heads for years, continually adjusting the screw, really destroyed my enjoyment and the playability, in the end i gave up and fitted my Soprano with geared tuners and i have never looked back.

i had exactly the same problem with friction heads for years, continually adjusting the screw, really destroyed my enjoyment and the playability, in the end i gave up and fitted my Soprano with geared tuners and i have never looked back.

I'd have to go with what Grammy said. Friction tuners are a bear!

Top Bottom