Stewmac tenor kit

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
There are many imitators but none original...

Great value for money. Looks like it comes from the same stable as the soprano kit and with a little work is bound to make a fabulous instrument. Well done Athens Ohio...

Last edited:
I bought one! My wife saw how my Grizzly turned out and got real nervous about the flamed Koa I bought from Pete. She gave me "permission" to do the StewMac tenor first.

It should be here Wednesday - I'll post my impressions in this thread.

Sweets, did you ever post a picture of your finished grizzly? What about a sound sample? I would love to hear the final product. I'm putting a fir top on my Grizzly Kit.

5348_2lg.jpg

WANT!

Sweets, did you ever post a picture of your finished grizzly? What about a sound sample? I would love to hear the final product. I'm putting a fir top on my Grizzly Kit.

Nope. Currently that uke is failing at being both player and a wallhanger. I put a couple huge runs in the finish with superglue when I was setting it up, and then discovered that the neck has very big problems. I'll update my thread with the results of the repairs, but I'm not hopeful.

Is it failing because its a crappy kit or because of other reasons?

Is it failing because its a crappy kit or because of other reasons?
Since it's a $25 kit, I would not put too much confidence in the absolute overall quality. Nevertheless, it should be a lot of fun to try for a first build, or maim it into a Frankenuke double-necker like fellow member Russbuss has done.
The Stew-Mac soprano kit, on the other hand, has good reviews and building diaries all over the innernets. The tenor kit looks cool as well, and for not much more money.

Pete, do you think a hobbyist would be better off trying a soprano or a tenor? Or will both turn out like a steaming twisted little heap of bodily waste the first time? I remember you saying sopranos are more difficult because of small size > less margin to make mistakes.

This looks great. I'm gonna get one for my first real (sort of) attempt at a build. I have a feeling I won't be using the linings in the kit, though. I think it would be much better to make some real kerfing, yeah? I've seen too many ukes with linings rather than real kerfing that have fallen apart. Wish me luck and pray I don't end up with a steaming twisted little heap of bodily waste. I'll document the build and post pics for anyone interested.

I would totally do this if my garage didn't have a pool table in the center. Looks like fun.

Straight linings look good if they are done right. They also make the uke 'stiffer' which to me seems to improve projection...

Thanks Pete, I learn something new everyday on UU. Linings it is!

Kit arrived today! Looks to be of reasonably good quality - the mahogany has the same ribbon grain that I've seen in stewmac soprano kits.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't substitute a blingy rosette for the plastic one, either by using a rosette of the same dimension or by routing out the channel to accommodate something wider. I'll probably be substituting fiber purfling on mine. I'm also going to ditch the sealed gear tuners if at all possible.

Here are pictures and notes from my first day of building:

http://tinyurl.com/yl3rt7x

I'm very happy with the speed at which it's going together.

Good job with the purfling. Well done. Mine didn't come out nearly that good. There's a pronounced separation. At least it's lined up right, so it kinda looks like it's supposed to be there.

Attachments

• p1010185.jpg
    p1010185.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 36
Yeah, there's a lot to be said for a design that extends the fretboard over the top of the rosette. ;)

Top Bottom