Amp help for acoustic uke

cogito

Reaction score
I have a few questions about connecting a mic to an amp.

I just purchased a Vox DA5 that hasn't arrived yet, to use for my Ohana TK35g. I don't want to replace my TK35g, and I don't have the money for an acoustic/electric uke. I want to use my condenser mic and record to my Tascam 424mkII. Could someone please give me some help on making this work. Will the following method work?

1.Connect the condenser mic to a phantom power supply then to the mic/input using an XLR-1/4" adapter.

2.Run a cable from the amp line/out to my 424 line/in.

Also, what type of cable do I use to connect the amp to the 424, an instrument or a mic cable? What type of XLR-1/4" adapter do I use, stereo or mono? I read somewhere that I would need a mic pre-amp. Any advice will help. BTW, I'm on a tight budget.

All you should need is a good preamp (if it can provide phantom power so much the better)and the output of that should direct connect to the Tascam using whatever cable type (1/4" or XLR) is available. You'll want a mono connection, not stereo as you only have one mic, not two.

That's the preferred method. Since you want to use your DA5 as an "effects box" you should be able to do what you are asking exactly how you describe it (using the mono adaptor, not stereo) Since it has a MIC input, you should be able to get away without any other preamp.

Last edited:
All you should need is a good preamp (if it can provide phantom power so much the better)and the output of that should direct connect to the Tascam using whatever cable type (1/4" or XLR) is available. You'll want a mono connection, not stereo as you only have one mic, not two.

That's the preferred method. Since you want to use your DA5 as an "effects box" you should be able to do what you are asking exactly how you describe it (using the mono adaptor, not stereo) Since it has a MIC input, you should be able to get away without any other preamp.

Thanks for the fast reply DaveVisi. Do you have any reccomendations for an inexpensive preamp? Also do I connect the cable from the amp line/out to the preamp line/in then to the tascam 424 line/in? Or do I use the preamp to connect the mic to the amp?

As an alternative to a plain preamp, you could consider a small mixer. That would give you a few more connectivity and EQ options. The Behringer Xenyx mixers are fairly inexpensive and have very good mic preamps, and phantom power. The Xenyx 802 would do the job.

As an alternative to a plain preamp, you could consider a small mixer. That would give you a few more connectivity and EQ options. The Behringer Xenyx mixers are fairly inexpensive and have very good mic preamps, and phantom power. The Xenyx 802 would do the job.

Thanks for your help buddhuu. Your sticky on "Amplification Basics" was very helpful as well.

Top Bottom