Amplifiers....

NC28460

Reaction score
Looking for a suitable amp setup for a acoustic/electric ukulele. Is there a difference with the kind of amp needed? Do I need an electric or a acoustic amp? I heard if I plug into an electric it is possible that the amp would blow. I am interested in a battery/electric powered amp and was told to look into a IMicroCube or a VOX DA5. Any suggestions?

im not sure if i understand what you are looking for. basically, as long as you doing crank the volume all the way up on any amp, you shouldnt be worried about blowing it. as far as acoustic amps vs electric amps... i had no idea there was a difference.

if you want a suggestion, i would say the line6 15w amp for personal use and for small venues.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-Spider-III-15-Modeling-Combo-Amplifier?sku=482276
$100 goes a long way with this amp.

The Roland Cube Street is pretty nice, and so is the Microcube and it is a lot cheaper. I have heard really good things about the VOX too. My friend uses the Roland with acoustic guitar and bass all the time and it works fine.

The Roland Cube Street is pretty nice, and so is the Microcube and it is a lot cheaper. I have heard really good things about the VOX too. My friend uses the Roland with acoustic guitar and bass all the time and it works fine.

+1 on Rolands for acoustic work. I've heard good things from friends about the AC-60, but haven't been to a store to check it out. For something smaller, the Cubes are nice.

Attachments

• IMG_1744A.jpg
    IMG_1744A.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1742A.jpg
    IMG_1742A.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1740A.jpg
    IMG_1740A.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1745A.jpg
    IMG_1745A.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1748A.JPG
    IMG_1748A.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1743A.jpg
    IMG_1743A.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1747A.JPG
    IMG_1747A.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1749A.JPG
    IMG_1749A.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 6
I have a Fender Amp Can that works pretty good. It has a gel-pak battery and speaker in what kinda looks like a paint can. The battery lasts about 6 hours on a charge and has 2 inputs - one for mic and one for instrument - both are 1/4 inch inputs. It's actually quite loud for it's 15 watts. Great for playing in the park or flea markets when DC isn't available. For performing (either guitar or uke and vocals) I have a Bose L1 Compact Line Array speaker system (needs DC). It looks kinda like a single totem pole which sits behind and to one side of you and is both mains and monitors. It takes under 5 minutes to set up. It's good for up to 150 people. Weighs only 35 lbs. Best system I've ever owned. I get lots of comments like "I can't believe how good a sound you are getting from that small thing!" Are there any others on here that use a Bose system?

Battery powered amps? My speciality! Our group performs in clubs and outdoors using battery powered amps. Our P.A. systems are battery powered, too. Read this ongoing battery powered amp review:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?5333-Battery-powered-ukulele-amplification

and you'll see most brands reviewed by someone that owns and uses them on an ongoing basis. I pulled out my Roland AC-33 for a Jazz Ukulele workshop with Glenn Rose, last night and everyone was shocked at the volume, clarity and the fidelity of this unit while he played the uke and sang through it. Ric

Are there any others on here that use a Bose system?

I have heard many artists using the Bose system. They have a very naturtal sound and double as a monitor, as you can place it offset behind you. It's also very compact and easy to transport - no multiple trips back and forth to the car. For fleamarkets, my Roland BA-330's are the ticket. Ric

I use a jazz guitar amp called the TomKat by JazzKat amps. Powerfull enough to gig (125 watts) yet under 30 pounds. Great sound, good effects also.

Very happy with my Roland AC60. Keeps that nice acoustic sound pure. For battery powered look no further than ricdoug for advice, he knows it all.

Very happy with my Roland AC60. Keeps that nice acoustic sound pure.

Sally, you'd love the Roland AC-33. It's a battery powered version of the Roland AC-60 and AC-90, with 30 watts of power AND it weighs only 10 lbs! It also has a 40 second looper. In case you weren't already aware, the "AC" stands for "Acoustic Chorus". Here's the data on the AC-33. Check out the video:

http://www.rolandmusic.ro/ac-33.php

Ric

I've been hearing about the Roland Microcube a lot, but the Spider III amp looks appealing (and is a little cheaper). Could someone compare them more deeply? Thanks very much.

The Line6 SpiderIII amp is an electric guitar amp. The Roland Microcube has an acoustic setting, for a more natural sound. With the Line6 your ukulele will sound "electric". Any amp will amplify the sound of a ukulele. With guitar amps, it will sound mor like an electric guitar.

Read buddhuu's tutorial on amplification here:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...cs-for-Uke-Pickups-Mics-Preamps-Amps-Feedback

Thanks for all the links ricdoug. Lots of great info that I will need very soon.

The Line6 SpiderIII amp is an electric guitar amp. The Roland Microcube has an acoustic setting, for a more natural sound. With the Line6 your ukulele will sound "electric". Any amp will amplify the sound of a ukulele. With guitar amps, it will sound mor like an electric guitar.

Read buddhuu's tutorial on amplification here:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...cs-for-Uke-Pickups-Mics-Preamps-Amps-Feedback

Thanks very much. The ukes I'm considering (the Eleuke and the Stagg) have their own active preamps - does that mean I don't have to buy a preamp?

You will have to determine that when you plug in and play. If you live anywhere near a Guitar Center or other music store, bring your ukes in and test drive those amps. Also test drive a LR Baggs Paracoustic DI. I've found the LR Baggs Paracoustic DI can improve the sound of many acoustic/electric stringed instruments:

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/LR-Baggs-Para-Acoustic-DI?sku=307160

566146.jpg

566145.jpg

That Baggs is a great little box. Has cured many a headache.

Top Bottom