PDA

View Full Version : I went busking! Check out this picture!

beeejums
10-12-2009, 12:23 PM
I only played for about 45 minutes before I was sidetracked before more pressing matters... and in that time I earned about $7.60, but I made a lot of people smile and I had fun.

A guy from the local paper took this:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=313&pictureid=3667

FUN!

WhenDogsSing
10-12-2009, 12:25 PM
Did you open your case up to get the contributions...???...:D

sukie
10-12-2009, 12:26 PM
how very fun!

beeejums
10-12-2009, 12:29 PM
Did you open your case up to get the contributions...???...:D

Yup! Most of my benefactors were kids. That made me happy.

WhenDogsSing
10-12-2009, 12:34 PM
I always figured that if I had to, maybe I could do that and eke out a living but that's a big "maybe"...anyway, you're cool for doing that. And then I noticed that you are from Berkely Springs, WV. West Virginia is one of the nicest states in the union, there is so much beautiful scenery and well, it's "Wild, Wild, West Virginia"...Love it there...:D

Playscool39
10-12-2009, 12:43 PM
Most important is you had fun and you made it into the local paper :)

beeejums
10-12-2009, 01:01 PM
Most important is you had fun and you made it into the local paper :)

And I earned enough to pay for my parking.

deach
10-12-2009, 01:05 PM
Very cool! Where was this?

beeejums
10-12-2009, 01:09 PM
Very cool! Where was this?

Berkeley Springs, at the Apple Butter festival last weekend.

Ken
10-12-2009, 01:12 PM
You sir, have just fulfilled a goal of mine :D.

mokai
10-12-2009, 01:14 PM
I only played for about 45 minutes before I was sidetracked before more pressing matters... and in that time I earned about $7.60, but I made a lot of people smile and I had fun.

A guy from the local paper took this:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=313&pictureid=3667

FUN!

That's great congrats. Looks busy too.
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/group.php?groupid=78

Blrfl
10-12-2009, 01:31 PM
Very cool.

I sometimes ride my motorcycle through Berkeley Springs; if you ever have a get-together and I get to the point where I own a Flea, I'd love to ride out and join you.

--Mark

mailman
10-12-2009, 01:31 PM
I don't have the repetoire (sp?) yet to go busking with my uke. But I did do some busking once....accidentally.

My juggling buddy and I went down to the lake one evening to practice passing clubs. It was quite warm out, and I took my hat off and threw it down next to my prop bag. You guessed it....some folks threw some change in the hat!

We made enough to each have a soda....no sharing....we each got our own!

Sigmund
10-12-2009, 01:53 PM
Looks fun, but it would be unlawful here. No public performance without a permit.

Duddles
10-12-2009, 01:57 PM
That is so freaking awesome... I am jealous and want to do that so bad... when I get my Fluke it will be done!

beeejums
10-12-2009, 02:03 PM
Very cool.

I sometimes ride my motorcycle through Berkeley Springs; if you ever have a get-together and I get to the point where I own a Flea, I'd love to ride out and join you.

--Mark

Definitely! Also, I have another uke you could use next time you pass through. PM me!

OR, we could get a DC area jam set up! I know Deach is out that way, and I think there's someone on this board from Frederick... so that's four of us.

That is so freaking awesome... I am jealous and want to do that so bad... when I get my Fluke it will be done!

Just go with the uke you have! I just used my Flea 'cause it's loud and I have a hard case for it. I was afraid if I didn't have the traditional open case, nobody would give me any money.

You won't regret it!

ricdoug
10-12-2009, 02:06 PM
Congratulations, Beejums. It gets better each time. Ric

Duddles
10-12-2009, 02:10 PM
Just go with the uke you have! I just used my Flea 'cause it's loud and I have a hard case for it. I was afraid if I didn't have the traditional open case, nobody would give me any money.

You won't regret it!

My current uke can't be heard one floor up in a quiet house and my Uklectic is going to be too precious for me to take out right away (also I need a case for it before it even leaves my front door!) :-(

So once I get the Fluke it will go out for a run or two... dozen...

hoosierhiver
10-12-2009, 02:11 PM
I think the experience was probably worth more than the money. It must really help improve confidence playing in front of crowds.

Uncle-Taco
10-12-2009, 02:35 PM
But did anyone give you any apple butter!?!? :drool:

My mother in law tries to keep us in supply, but there's an awful lot she doesn't know about mailing apple butter (and pumpkin butter) from West Virginia. :(

Wow, Berkley Springs...keep at it; somebody'll probably stroll up and sit in with you before long!

beeejums
10-12-2009, 02:39 PM
But did anyone give you any apple butter!?!? :drool:

My mother in law tries to keep us in supply, but there's an awful lot she doesn't know about mailing apple butter (and pumpkin butter) from West Virginia. :(

Wow, Berkley Springs...keep at it; somebody'll probably stroll up and sit in with you before long!

I got a free cup of hot apple cider, but I had to buy the apple butter, unfortunately.

I also bought this jar of cherry jalapeņo spread. It sounds nasty, but oh my goodness is it tasty. As a matter of fact, I want some right now... :drool:

Blrfl
10-12-2009, 03:12 PM

Ha! Just put up a sign that says "Please fill my Flea bag."

--Mark

KC8AFW
10-12-2009, 03:48 PM
That is so awesome! I want to try that sometime...after I build up a repertoire of songs.

leftovermagic84
10-12-2009, 03:52 PM
I have trouble memorizing that many songs at a given time.

Big_e
10-12-2009, 08:57 PM
That's great Beeejums! I hope to get good enough on the uke to where I can try something like that. Can we get a partial list of the song titles that you would play when busking? Would folk music do it or do people go for something more modern?
Ernest

UkuLeLesReggAe
10-12-2009, 09:17 PM
You sir, have just fulfilled a goal of mine :D.

ditto .

MisoHappy
10-12-2009, 09:38 PM
Haha, I was doin this in the hallway of my building during recess once. One of my teachers (The fun one, if you know what I mean) asked me why the heck my case wasn't open, and said I could've made a fortune.

buddhuu
10-12-2009, 10:17 PM
Congratulations, beeejums. :D

That totally takes some nerve. Good on you, mate.

beeejums
10-13-2009, 12:45 AM
That's great Beeejums! I hope to get good enough on the uke to where I can try something like that. Can we get a partial list of the song titles that you would play when busking? Would folk music do it or do people go for something more modern?
Ernest

Pretty much the stuff on my YouTube channel, plus stuff that either isn't fit to put up there or stuff I haven't yet, so...

Ain't She Sweet,
Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots,
Five Foot Two,
While My Guitar Gently Weeps (though I only did that once... It's kinda hard on a concert size uke, and I couldn't make eye contact with people while playing it)
12th Street Rag,
the Mario theme,
99 Red Balloons,
Africa,
Banana Pancakes,

I guess that's about it. I might have done some more stuff, and I jammed around on some simple blues chords, but when I ran out of stuff I knew, I just went back to the top of the list. Since people are just walking by, nobody really stopped and listened to more for more than half a song at a time before moving on, so nobody knew I was repeating myself. I probably didn't even need that many songs.

beeejums
10-13-2009, 12:49 AM
And honestly, I'm not really the guy to ask... I'd hardly call myself a seasoned pro...

This is a good thread with busking advice, and I tried to take a lot of it when I went. I hope to go again soon when I find another festival in the area.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12785&highlight=busk

There are people on this forum that really know their stuff, and it's an awesome resource.

ukulele2544
10-13-2009, 01:24 AM
Maybe I should try that one day... :)

SeePM
10-13-2009, 05:15 AM
CONGRATULATIONs! I bet that was the funest $7.60 you ever made.

Ukeffect
10-13-2009, 06:45 AM
Berkeley Springs, at the Apple Butter festival last weekend.
Mmmmmm...Apple Butter on fresh warm bread !! :drool: I'm finding as I age, that I really appreciate the tastes and values that my grandparents had...and no I don't yell at kids to get them out of my yard! Sorry for the hi-jack, it must be close to dinner time! :rolleyes: Congrats on your busking experience...I'm slowly improving, so maybe soon?

ChamorroDT
10-13-2009, 08:39 AM
And I earned enough to pay for my parking.

LOL, nice. And good job!! And I like your hat.