Should i be strumming with my index finger?

econosaurus

Reaction score
I've been strumming with all 4 of my fingers kind of curved, but every video i see uses just the index finger and/or thumb. Should i try to train myself to change? Thanks

My personal opinion is that, while there's nothing wrong with the thumb strum, you probably would be well-served by working on your index finger strum. Mostly because that opens the doors to all sorts of fun techniques like "chunking".
JJ

Here ya go

I personally strum with mah thumb, it gives a more blended sound than when I index-strummed. Which is a good thing for my cheap mahalo, you can't hear the intonation as much! :p

It's preferable to use your index finger and I think it gives a cleaner tone. It does take practice to get used to it. As mentioned previously, you can also use your thumb. No hard or fast rule there. Practice using your index finger till you're comfortable with it.

Noob here so good potential for the blind leading the blind ... but I think it just depends on the sound you want to create. Using the thumb creates a distinctly different sound than your other opposing fingers could make. Also try finger plucking all the strings at the same time making its own interesting sound. You could also roll all your fingers index to pinky along the strings and muting the strings with your palm to create a sort of flamenco ish sound.

Noob here so good potential for the blind leading the blind ... but I think it just depends on the sound you want to create.

You hit the nail on the head.

One of the joys of making music is experimenting to find sounds you like.

--Mark

I just started using my index finger to strum, and I'm getting a much cleaner sound. Before that I'd settled on curling my fingers under and using all four of them to get a muddy skiffle sound. It's good to learn different techniques so that you have options.

As previously mentioned, there are alot of ways people strum. I strum almost solely with my thumb, but I think I should try to experiment alot more.
Getting used to using all four fingers at least some of the time you strum is a great idea, it can lead into cool fancy stuff down the road.Also using a thumb index finger combo.
There are lots of fancy fun things to try once you improve. Check out some of the crazy stuff done by Roy Smeck and Ukulele Ike.

Thumb, fingertips, fingernails, four fingers, one finger - your choice. Your hand is part of the music, one of the tools you use to make the sound and the rhythm. It is very versatile and capable of a wide range of expression.

Me, I tend to use my thumb, but I also have a mixed strumming/picking style that sometimes has me swiping the strings downward with one or more fingers.

Don't forget that strumming isn't one way. You have to strum up, too. You can create different sounds by strumming up with your fingertips than with your thumb down-strumming.​

It's up to you but I strum with finger number 1.

I've been strumming with all 4 of my fingers kind of curved, but every video i see uses just the index finger and/or thumb. Should i try to train myself to change? Thanks

No worries, I thought I was doing something wrong too; that's exactly how I strum :D
But my index finger kiiiinda sticks out a bit, and my middle finger also catches the strings somehow, so technically, I'm using two fingers

Last edited:
I started out and still am primarily a thumbstrummer, but I've noticed that I've randomly picked up fingerstrumming (which I was terrible when I tried it when I first picked up a uke, but am now not too shabby at it) along the way. Now, for simple strum patterns, I sometimes use the finger instead - I think I use more energy/movement when I use my thumb, so the finger helps with a long song or if I'm just tired. At the same time my thumb is better at keeping the beat, thus better when I'm playing with a strum pattern that's more complicated. So, all good in different ways.

So... strum with whatever feels comfortable to you now. You'll probably end up picking up other strum fingers later on (for variety of sound, or ease of use, etc) anyway.

When I first picked up a uke I actually used my thumb/index as if I was holding a pick. At that time this was the most comfortable for me however I wanted to learn how to strum using just my index. With lots of practice its now second nature to me.

There is no right or wrong way to strum. You may feel like your technique is off especially when you watch all these videos where everyone is using mainly their index but in all honesty its whatever is the most comfortable to you.

You can even play around with the sound depending on where you strum your uke as well :eek: So many different variables but that what makes playing so enjoyable. We all have the capability to make our own unique sound ;)

With all this talk of fingers and thumbs, let me also mention your wrist.

If you can learn to strum with your wrist (instead of your entire forearm, ie from your elbow), you'll be able to strum very quickly when you want or need to do so.

Shake your strumming hand as if you were shaking water off your hand. Using your hand for strumming will have a similar feeling.

Sooooo, if you're finding that you're not able to strumn as fast as you'd like, pay attention to how you're strumming, that is, with your wrist, or with your forearm.

Right now I tend to strum with my thumb, index finger(nail) and my pinky(nail) in a kind of "roll" motion. I'm not sure if you can hear it in my MP3s, but here's a sample:

http://www.4shared.com/file/118548308/50bfd35d/By_the_light_of_the_silvery_moon_1.html

Keep uke-in'

Very nice vocal by Uncle Rod..........

When I first picked up a uke I actually used my thumb/index as if I was holding a pick.

jake suggests that way. isn't it on uu somewhere? hold your fingers like you are holding a credit card is what he said.

i use my index finger anyway.

Thanks for the vid. I had no idea it was a strumming technique as I've never seen anyone really strum that way. I just thought it was my total noobness and lack of mojo that caused me to start strumming like that.

I'll try it out again....

I'm also curious about this because when I strum with just my index finger it sounds really choppy and scratchy and hurts my finger. Maybe its just me :uhoh:

-UM :shaka:

Top Bottom