Flamenco techniques on ukulele

schubs

Reaction score
I just saw a video of The Jumping Flea on facebook. He did this really cool strumming technique on the ukulele. It is his entry to the Bosko and Honey "Join the Safari" contest. I was wondering how to do these techniques. I have not found any helpful videos on youtube or anywhere on google. Does anyone know how to do this?

I PMed him about this thread, hopefully he will reply soon...

I just saw a video of The Jumping Flea on facebook. He did this really cool strumming technique on the ukulele. It is his entry to the Bosko and Honey "Join the Safari" contest. I was wondering how to do these techniques. I have not found any helpful videos on youtube or anywhere on google. Does anyone know how to do this?

Hello!

That strumming technique is called the "Ten Finger Roll". I learned it from Jake Shimabukuro's "Play. Loud. Ukulele." video.

Basically, you lead with your thumb coming up, followed by the pinky, ring, middle, pointer (all up) and than go back down with starting with your pinky, ring, middle, pointer and finally thumb. Just practice it slow and eventually it will come. Repetition, repetition, repetition is the only key.

I'll make a tutorial of it later this weekend if people think that it could be helpful!

Shameless plug for the video entry the OP is talking about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPWRGVqY6gE :D

Last edited:
I dunno, looks pretty simple to me. Just dislocate your shoulder, twist your hand up side down, wince like you're in pain (probably cause you are) and strum. I would show you, but I'm not triple jointed...

haha. i have already tried that. it didnt work.

thanks for that uke minutes Deg and you too Jumping Flea.

I haven't gotten TJF's 10 strum thing down... but mine's a little different. 8 finger strum and then followed by two thumb strums. I could do a tut... once I am finished with my finance tests.. which should be Thursday. That is if you want to learn of course. just pm if you want it.

Hello!

That strumming technique is called the "Ten Finger Roll". I learned it from Jake Shimabukuro's "Play. Loud. Ukulele." video.

Basically, you lead with your thumb coming up, followed by the pinky, ring, middle, pointer (all up) and than go back down with starting with your pinky, ring, middle, pointer and finally thumb. Just practice it slow and eventually it will come. Repetition, repetition, repetition is the only key.

I'll make a tutorial of it later this weekend if people think that it could be helpful!

Shameless plug for the video entry the OP is talking about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPWRGVqY6gE :D

thank you so much for this! this is exactly what i wanted to know

I've been trying it as a 5-finger roll. I've been missing half my fingers! Funny, the name is as big a help as the video. Nice video, by the way. The single string tremolo stuff, is that just your thumb doing some sort of Makita-esque 2000 rpm pick/strum? Can never figure out how to get a good tremolo, so I work on 4 different techniques and never quite learn one properly.

I've been trying it as a 5-finger roll. I've been missing half my fingers! Funny, the name is as big a help as the video. Nice video, by the way. The single string tremolo stuff, is that just your thumb doing some sort of Makita-esque 2000 rpm pick/strum? Can never figure out how to get a good tremolo, so I work on 4 different techniques and never quite learn one properly.

Thanks. The tremelo is with my thumb nail. It is the same way Aldrine, Jake, Guting, and many other uke players get that tremelo effect without a pick.

You may want to explore flamenco guitar forums. There may be good tips on the classical guitar forums, too. It is an easy technique, although I've been playing flamenco guitar for years. It takes a little bit of practice but you should be able pick up on everything quite quickly.

Just put your upper body into it, stay very relaxed, and remained composed! You'll get it. :)

cheers guys you just inspired me to burn a load more of my money... just ordered:
  • Jakes "Play loud uke"
and have queued up when more money comes in:
  • The Classical Ukulele by John King
  • Sophisticated Ukulele by Jim Beloff
  • Famous Solos & Duets for the Uke by John King
  • Blues Ukulele by Fred Sokolow
Oh if anyone is thinking of selling any of these cheap give me a pm, it would help settle your conscience of making me spend more money =D

The thumb remains erect and the entire motion is a pivoting of your hand over your middle and ring fingers which are 'anchored' to the ukulele. (Usually an inch or two under the soundhole)

Back to the 10 fingers. I have it now where I sort of do it with 7. On the up stroke, I get my thumb, index and middle finger. My ring finger is completely at the wrong angle to hit anything, and it feels unnatural to bring it into position to hit a string. On the downstroke, I just do a normalish rasgeado, and follow through with my thumb, which took some getting used to.

Is it REALLY 10 fingers???

Thanks for the thumb tremolo advice, BTW.

:)

Yes it is really 10 fingers. Each of the 5 fingers will hit the string once coming up and again going down. It is a very unnatural strum and when you are learning it, it definitely feels "awkward".

Yes it is really 10 fingers. Each of the 5 fingers will hit the string once coming up and again going down. It is a very unnatural strum and when you are learning it, it definitely feels "awkward".

I was afraid of that. Mine was turning into a sort of deformed fan stroke anyway, so I assumed I was on the wrong track. It HAS improved my fan stroke, though... :)

Top Bottom