New MP Tenor Ukulele: Outstanding!

drubin

Reaction score
I posted the following review over at FMM, but wanted to share it with folks here as well in order to spread the good word.

My new custom tenor ukulele from Mike Pereira of MP Ukulele arrived recently. :D I have played several other well-known maker's high end ukuleles and my new MP uke is up there with the best of them! The quality of design, construction, aesthetics, setup, playability, and--most importantly--sound is simply outstanding.

Here are some images:

http://www.4freeimagehost.com/show.php?i=PUSH15bc42e303f1.jpg
http://www.4freeimagehost.com/show.php?i=PUSHeffa42c253ed.jpg
http://www.4freeimagehost.com/show.php?i=PUSH9e5d478d60ac.jpg
http://www.4freeimagehost.com/show.php?i=PUSHa50cb063dc9a.jpg
http://www.4freeimagehost.com/show.php?i=PUSH021b3626d0d4.jpg

Here are the specs, for those interested in such things. Curly redwood top, koa back and sides, mahogany neck, grover open back tuners, ebony binding and bridge, bone nut and saddle, hand-rubbed satin finish, ebony fingerboard with ebony/koa binding, ebony/koa headstock overlay with pearl MP inlay, koa/ebony rosette, koa butt detail and heel cap, 1.5 inch width at the nut with low action, strung with Worth browns.

I had high expectations for the looks and, more importantly, sonic capabilities of this ukulele. Long story short, Mike's work has surpassed my expectations by leaps and bounds. The sound is warm, full, crisp, with a certain bell-like quality to it. Great projection, sustain, and harmonics. Very balanced across the spectrum, and remarkably resonant.

I would not hesitate to recommend Mike's work to anyone looking to order a high quality custom instrument. He is very knowledgeable, his prices are reasonable, his customer service is excellent, and his product is, IMHO, outstanding. Thank you Mike for making me such a wonderful ukulele! :D

very nice ukulele indeed

the black in the ukulele makes it look great

How much did you pic it up for?

My new custom tenor ukulele from Mike Pereira of MP Ukulele arrived recently. :D I have played several other well-known maker's high end ukuleles and my new MP uke is up there with the best of them! The quality of design, construction, aesthetics, setup, playability, and--most importantly--sound is simply outstanding.

Can you elaborate on which high end ukes it compares favorably to in your opinion?

Regardless though, I've tried an MP once and I agree that it's outstanding. It was a lot better than his prices suggested.

Right on, man. Damn. That's some beautiful work. I want a custom.

Do you think you can post a sound file or video? I've never heard a redwood top before.

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement y'all! It is much appreciated.

GX, your recommendation of MP, along with Mike Atkins' and others, helped to inspire me to put in my order. :D But it was really long discussions with Mike Pereira himself that sealed the deal. Mike has an extensive background in the art of stringed instrument making and his knowledge and passion for the ukulele really shined through in our conversations. He's been making ukuleles since 2004 (I believe), and mine is # 69.

I've test driven a number of fine ukuleles: a Kamaka, a few vintage Martins, a Kiwaya, a Compass Rose, and several Koalohas, among others. Of those I have played, the Compass Rose tenor and a Koaloha concert really stood out to me. Fantastic ukes. Without hesitation, I would put my new MP on or above par with any of the above.

Dnewton2 and Seeso, I don't presently have the necessary equipment to do a video or sound bite. But give me some time, and we'll see... This summer I'd like to buy some recording gear if possible. ;)

As to the redwood top, that's why I got it. Listen to Gerald Ross, he plays a custom Talsma redwood top/koa back and sides that was partly my inspiration for choosing this wood combo. Mike says it imparts a "darker" and "smokier" quality to the tone.

Last edited:
Great uke man ! Can we have hope that your record / video ?
What do you think about the Worth Brown ? I think they're too thin and sharp, it's not very comfortable, especially when you do bar slides

Great uke man ! Can we have hope that your record / video ?
What do you think about the Worth Brown ? I think they're too thin and sharp, it's not very comfortable, especially when you do bar slides

See, that's interesting-- I like the Worth's thinness. Matter of taste, I suppose. I know some people say they tear up their hands, but I love the precision feel. Comparatively, I feel like nylon strings are so big and bulky! It feels awkward to me.

Again, though, personal taste.

Thanks for the nice comments Plainsong, UkCouS, and La Ingrit. I love my new uke more and more each day. Mike Pereira really is an amazing luither and I hope he receives more recognition for his outstanding work.

I agree with Tad that the Worths are a matter of personal taste. I am very happy with them. As I wrote in another thread recently, they are my new favorite strings. They give my new MP a very clear, vibrant, and full sound. Wonderful bell-like tones. I don't mind that they are thinner than the Aquilas I'm used to. I do seem to notice, however, that the Worths seem to feel like they put less tension on the body of the uke than Aquilas. I wonder if this contributes to sound and, if so, how exactly?

i also own an MP uke. i originaly bought a soprano, redwood top, but i traded it with another uke player for an MP concert (also a redwood top). my hands and fingers are rather large (size 14 wedding ring), so the concert was a perfect fit. . great sound, warmer than mahogany, fast neck. i'm saving my $$$ now for a tenor from Mike.

That is totally awesome Superfly! It's great to hear from another supporter of Mike's work. :D What are the back and sides on your redwood top concert? What are you thinking for the back and sides you'll go for on your tenor?

Thanks again for the nice comments and encouragement everybody. I really appreciate the fact that UU is such a warm, friendly, and welcoming place. :D I think the slogan, "Ukulele Underground, changing the world one day at a time" really means something.

hey drubin,
sorry it took so long to respond (work, yuch). the back and sides are padauk. the fingerboard is rosewood with the triangle position markers. the one i originally ordered had a herringbone stripe in the fingerboard.

as for the next uku, well, i'm thinking of a figured top...maybe mango or walnut (burled walnut is bee-you-tee-full). sides and back i'll leave to Mike to decide. rosewood fingerboard with a herringbone stripe. bound front and back as well.
i'm getting all goose bumpy just thinking about it. LOLLRES!11!1!!:D

Thanks for the nice comments Plainsong, UkCouS, and La Ingrit. I love my new uke more and more each day. Mike Pereira really is an amazing luither and I hope he receives more recognition for his outstanding work.

You are welcome Drubin!!!!! :D
Does MP have a web page or something???
Hey and by your words I can tell that you are soooo happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Top Bottom