Your Uke of choice!!

Bourbon Boy

Reaction score
I would love to hear from the members what there "uke of choice is" (Fact or Fiction) In other words... What uke do you play and love the most and why. Is it a tenor? Is it a concert or soprano? What is it you like about it? Charictaristic, feel and tone? Or maybe you dont own this dream uke...What is your dream uke? and why???

I am hoping such feedback will help me in choosing and purchasing MY dream ukulele. In fact i hope to have a fleet of uke's one day...

RESPEK....

--bourbon boy....

......got whiskey???

My dream uke would be a tenor kanile'a with flaming koa and active pick up.. hmm yummy

Whatever uke Tia Kelley plays! That thing sounded soooo sweet :D

Variety is the spice of life.

My "dream ukulele" would be a room full of 'em, so I can play whatever suits my mood.

I've only been playing for a matter of months, and I've already got an acoustic-electric, a metal-body resonator, and two regular wooden-type ukuleles. So far I've been sticking to sopranos and concerts, but I'm sure that I'll branch out from there at some point.

I could never just have one favorite of anything, though... Life's too contingent and fluid, you know?

I switch between my Mahogany Lanikai and Kala Cedar, both tenors.

My dream ukulele would be a custom Da Silva. Cedar top, Koa back and sides, Mahogany neck, Macassar Ebony fingerboard.

I have a cheap concert and a kala tenor. I like playing the concert better because of the size, it just feels right. But the Kala tenor sounds better, so I try and play them both.

As for a dream uke, there are way to many cutom uke makers out there to pick one. I would however like a solid koa concert one day.

I love tenors... how they sound, feel, they just seem to be perfect for me.

My current uke of choice is hands down the Koa Works tenor. William King is building my dream tenor right now (should be done any day now), but it's going to have to be out of this world to surpass the Koa Works.

I've been dreaming for a long time of a Kamaka Tenor.
But now I have my Kanile'a Tenor I'm not dreaming of anything but her anymore.

My current uke of choice is hands down the Koa Works tenor. William King is building my dream tenor right now (should be done any day now), but it's going to have to be out of this world to surpass the Koa Works.

GX, a dream tenor by William King, that is totally awesome! Would you mind telling us about your dream specs? I hope you'll post pictures when it arrives! :)

If I can swing it, I'm going to try to get on King's list for next year.

BTW, your Koa Works looks amazing!

Last edited:
GX, a dream tenor by William King, that is totally awesome! Would you mind telling us about your dream specs? I hope you'll post pictures when it arrives! :)

If I can swing it, I'm going to try to get on King's list for next year.

BTW, your Koa Works looks amazing!

Haha, yes, I'll probably be posting pictures and videos of the King tenor all over the place like an idiot after it arrives. :p

The specs are: Long scale tenor (18"), spruce top, koa back/sides, radiused ebony fretboard w/maple binding, ebony body bindings, Mi-Si active pickup, and last but not least, Jake Shimabukuro slotted headstock! :p We'll see how that headstock turns out, but I drew him a slotted headstock with essentially the same shape as Jake's Kamaka.

The advantage of the Koa Works is that I got to play it first. Even William King himself haven't heard what the tenor he's building will sound like, so it's still taking a bit of a chance there. I would be seriously overjoyed if the King simply matches the Koa Works in sound and feel. After that I'll need to practice for years and years so I can acquire some decent uke playing skills to go along with the ukes.:D

I also wouldn't mind one of these bad boys:

ahifrontgb5.jpg

i have now my second ukulele ! a beautiful Concert Lanikai

i think my dream ukulele is a E-Tenor Kamaka With UU style on the frets and signed from aldrine and jake :D

I just started playing so I haven't had much exposure to different brands but I would love to visit the Glyph workshop (about 90 minutes from my house) and play a few of his.

I did custom work for awhile, but I work two other jobs and I could never make deadlines. I plan a few short runs in the next few months that I will offer for sale. My standard soprano, a reso and a Camp Uke replica.

Job #2 is running a not-for-profit traditional arts school. Most of my uke work this year has been in developing luthiery classes.

Here's the protoype for the reso. I'm beginning a run of five in a week, or so.

Reso-Uke-1.jpg

http://www.bluestonefolkschool.org

Looks great, Geoff! Dang, I need to learn how to make ukes.

Top Bottom