PDA

View Full Version : Yet another strings question

Sambient
10-13-2009, 04:10 AM
How does one know what kind of weight or diameter one wants for his/her strings?
Looking at all those Worth designations makes me feel like as I learn, what I learn is how little I know.
Not just for the sound issues, but what would feel best to my fingers to play. Hands and fingers certainly come in varying sizes and strengths.
Any sensibility of more mobility with certain things?

hoosierhiver
10-13-2009, 07:10 AM
I'd say the best thing to do, is to start trying a few different brands so you have some comparisons you can make.

ChamorroDT
10-13-2009, 08:35 AM
You should check if there are any shops you could visit nearby that carry strings - maybe they'd let you at least check out the strings and what not.

Personally, I have very little knowledge about those numbers on the packages that tell you how thin/thick the strings are, so I can't really help out there. But I would think that with different sizes come more/less mobility - I had Ko'olau Gold's on a Uke I used to have and they were very flexible to me. The Uke I main right now has...oh wow, actually I don't know. Haha.

But yeah, check out some local shops?

Kanaka916
10-13-2009, 09:11 AM
How does one know what kind of weight or diameter one wants for his/her strings? This would come down to personal preference meaning you'll have to try them to determine comfortability and playability. Diameter wise, I think Worth has the thinner strings. Aquila and D'Addario are thicker.

Looking at all those Worth designations makes me feel like as I learn, what I learn is how little I know.Most of the strings on the Worth website are pretty much the same diameter. They list is separated into two sections for Clears (Blue) and Browns (Red). It is broken down further; light, med, hard, etc. Pay attention to the string lengths - 46 inches is usually for Sopranos and Concerts and 63 inches for Tenors.

Not just for the sound issues, but what would feel best to my fingers to play. Hands and fingers certainly come in varying sizes and strengths.
Any sensibility of more mobility with certain things?This would come down to personal preference meaning you'll have to try them to determine comfortability and playability.

Hopefully this helps some . . . BTW, I haven't read any comments on the Worth Fat strings.