It Ain't Rocket Science

When I first saw this Vid it inspired me to have a go at the same method and build just one uke..it was great fun and a lot easier than i imagined it would be...The hardest bit was the twine binding ..I studied the Vid over and over again before I give it a go..and still I got it wrong..it looked like a cocoon when it was finally clamped...The vid isn't clear on the fitting of the front soundboard so I had to improvise a bit, I liked the little wedges they are great for tightening up little slack areas (I use them all the time now)...There is a Photographic log on this if anyone is intrested.

Last edited:
I have to carry around a business card with the link to that video. When people ask me what a master luthier is, I'll politely hand them the card.

I'm amazed at how little we've progressed since then. Of course technology will evolve, but the uke still needs to be assembled in the same way. The video got me thinking of better ways to do what we do.

One part that freaked me out was watching him chisel towards his chest. Danger, Will Robinson!

Going back to the video, what is the reasoning for putting the brace on the body first versus gluing the brace onto the back then attaching then attaching the back? Are the sides and braces tapered at all to account for the angle? Does the back flatten out where it meets the sides or is it just so minimal of an an arch that it doesn't really matter?

Going back to the video, what is the reasoning for putting the brace on the body first versus gluing the brace onto the back then attaching then attaching the back? Are the sides and braces tapered at all to account for the angle? Does the back flatten out where it meets the sides or is it just so minimal of an an arch that it doesn't really matter?
The arch on the video uke is quite high, thats why the bracings and the linings are more sturdy than I would do them today...As the twine is applied it forms the arch and glues on the back all in one go.... I've just done some rough calc's, and with a high dome of 3/8" it would need about .025" sanded off the edges to fit the angle flush...less than a 1/32" or(0.6mm)...would they have bothered in 1917 or just let the glue fill the gaps??? can anyone on the Islands remember???

Top Bottom