PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite beverage when playing after 5 p.m.

MoreUke
10-13-2009, 09:53 AM
In the spirit of attempting to take our ukulele instrumental abilities to the furthest limit. Many folks have many things they do/follow. Some professional athletes wear a specific shirt. Some actors follow a specific school of study. For total and complete nonsense, I'm asking what beverage folks partake of primarily when playing after 5 p.m. Who knows there might just be some common beverage that all great ukulele players partake in.

The beverage I consume the most of when sitting down with my ukulele is Great Value sugar free Cherry drink mix.

MisoHappy
10-13-2009, 10:06 AM
WATER

nuff said

molokinirum
10-13-2009, 10:18 AM
That's easy......RUM with a little ice and a wedge of lime!!!:drool::drool:
It seems to help both my playing AND singing!!

ukeyermind
10-13-2009, 10:21 AM
I don't usually get to sit down with the uke til after 8pm and at that hour, the beverage of choice is equal parts Bailey's and Stoli Vanil poured over a ton of ice.

Steiner
10-13-2009, 11:18 AM
Pint of Guinness

Old Bird
10-13-2009, 11:27 AM
Homebrew! Whatever I happen to have on tap at the time, currently a 90 schilling with a touch of honey. On deck is a nice stout, and then a belgian for the winter. A good hard cider is already aging for next spring.

Lanark
10-13-2009, 11:33 AM
Bell's Two Hearted Ale (http://www.bellsbeer.com/index.php?c=product_info&content=2).

We practice on a 2 for 1 night as well. Good times.

leftovermagic84
10-13-2009, 11:34 AM
I just picked up some wild turkey honey bourbon. I think it may be a new favorite.

Citrus
10-13-2009, 11:55 AM
cheap scotch

ukeskywalker79
10-13-2009, 12:05 PM
Whiskey on the rocks. When I'm broke some good ole' coors light gets the job done

salukulady
10-13-2009, 12:30 PM
Sailor Jerry's Rum. Funny thing, the more I drink, the better I sound, (in my own mind).

dirk.li
10-13-2009, 12:57 PM
Beer or green tea. (Depending on what I've planned for the evening...)

freedive135
10-13-2009, 01:01 PM
I did a similar post last year but I'll play again.

A "real" Mai-Tai is just the thing to make me sound better but after a couple Zombies I might as well stop playin and just enjoy the lava lamp!!!!

spots
10-13-2009, 01:10 PM
carbonated water

mailman
10-13-2009, 01:13 PM
Gotta be Diet Coke.... 5am or 5pm, doesn't matter.

UkuCouS
10-13-2009, 01:19 PM
Wine :)
Whatever red or white.

Ukulele Dude
10-13-2009, 01:30 PM
Cazadores Reposado

or
maybe a Coors Light.

Thumper
10-13-2009, 01:39 PM
Bourbon on ice.

In fact, I just came in from accompanying tonight's sunset with my Flea. Life is good.

buddhuu
10-13-2009, 01:42 PM
Pint of Guinness

Same as that. A pint or several of the black stuff every time. :cheers:

UkuleleHill
10-13-2009, 02:04 PM
I am partial to herbal teas in the evening... They tend to open up my head and make me feel warm in side...

specialmike
10-13-2009, 02:08 PM
Not one for alcohol...which is ironic considering I go to a party school... Anyways, I prefer drinking water. But I might a Kona Beer with it after I've eaten. I've strummed inebriated..... sadly, I hear its better :)

pithaya9
10-13-2009, 02:21 PM
Kahana Royale Macadamia Nut Liqueur on the rocks. This stuff is hard to come by, have to buy it a case at a time as the liquer store refuses to carry it and it takes 2 months to get.

scottie
10-13-2009, 02:50 PM
Any good beer or ale, a nice IPA is likely my fav but I have wide ranging taste. A little eye of newt on toast points goes well when I'm feeling punchy.

Ukeffect
10-13-2009, 02:52 PM
Basil Hayden bourbon in a thick glass on the rocks...in conjunction with a good rich cigar(preferably Honduran)! After a hard days work and a couple of glasses, my mediocre playing sound sooooooo much better!
:cheers:

beeejums
10-13-2009, 02:53 PM
Somebody said whiskey on the rocks... that sounds good.

When I drink beer, I try to make it Magic Hat somethingorother. Lucky Kat. That's good.

When it isn't booze, it's just water. I don't do soda.

Ukulele JJ
10-13-2009, 03:13 PM
A "real" Mai-Tai is just the thing to make me sound better

Okay, I'll bite... what's your definition of a "real" Mai Tai?

I have some pretty strict ideas about Mai Tais myself. :D

JJ

Ukulele JJ
10-13-2009, 03:17 PM
Basil Hayden bourbon in a thick glass on the rocks...in conjunction with a good rich cigar(preferably Honduran)! After a hard days work and a couple of glasses, my mediocre playing sound sooooooo much better!
:cheers:

I'm with you. Nothing like sitting outside on the patio in the evening with a good cigar and a quality scotch or bourbon (ain't a thing wrong with ol' Basil's). Although I only partake of cigars a few times a year, and the weather isn't always too good for outside ukin'.

So the indoor drink of choice is usually a Beefeater martini, up, with enough vermouth to actually make a difference (unlike the trend these days). Olives vs. twist depends on my mood at the time.

That said, I can make a pretty mean rum drink too.

JJ

dave g
10-13-2009, 03:22 PM
Gin & tonic please :)

itsme
10-13-2009, 03:29 PM
Wine :)
Whatever red or white.
Make mine red, please. :)

And for you Guinness fans (it's my husband's favorite), I picked up a stout called Black Hart at Trader Joe's recently, $5.99/6-pack. He loved it, said he actually liked it a bit better because it had a little more carbonation.

bulldog
10-13-2009, 04:08 PM
Coors Light tiil 7 then Jack and Coke . . .:D

leftovermagic84
10-13-2009, 04:24 PM
Coors Light tiil 7 then Jack and Coke . . .:D

beer before liquor...

Hankthetank
10-13-2009, 04:33 PM
I am partial to Hawaiian Punch.

Matt Clara
10-13-2009, 04:42 PM
Didn't matter what it was, as long as they were strong and kept comin'! So I quit. Now a days it's typically water after 5, though I will occasionally have hot tea, but then that's what I drink all day long, anyway...

fatfingers75
10-13-2009, 05:03 PM
rockstar!!!!!!!!

bulldog
10-13-2009, 06:00 PM
beer before liquor...

cant do beer after Jack . . .:cheers:

Boozelele
10-13-2009, 06:34 PM
Finally....a thread I can relate to! To help me play better I like wine, or beer, or gin and tonics, or screwdrivers, or scotch, or scotch and water, or bourbon, or vodka and cranberry, or vodka and anything, or long island ice teas, or mai tais, or rum and cokes, or straight shots with beer backs, or.....

other than the above, I rarely drink.

Vindelanda
10-13-2009, 07:33 PM
After all the posts about alcohol I feel really wimpy saying I usually drink black coffee or lemon Vitamin Water. :D
Ah well, I do enjoy a sip of scotch from time to time, but I just hate that tipsy feeling if I have too much.

UkuLeLesReggAe
10-13-2009, 07:42 PM
str8 wild turkey

ChamorroDT
10-13-2009, 07:43 PM
Kool-aid...purple Kool-aid...with 3 ice cubes, IT HAS TO BE 3, 2 is not enough and 4 makes it too watery. 3

UkuLeLesReggAe
10-13-2009, 07:46 PM
dawg gimme some cool-aid

grappler
10-13-2009, 08:40 PM
I wish i can taste what kool aid is. Im searching it up everywhere but it doesn't do justice.

Well my beverage is green tea with some honey. Soothes my throat and mind.

mrsdepp
10-13-2009, 10:16 PM
how does kool-aid taste like?

Rick
10-13-2009, 10:44 PM
shirley temple. extra cherries.

mokai
10-13-2009, 10:47 PM
tastes like water mixed with sugar and food coloring

keithy351
10-14-2009, 01:02 AM
iced chocolate [choc milk with icecream in it, topped wit whipped cream then sprinkled with milo]

freedive135
10-14-2009, 05:39 AM
Okay, I'll bite... what's your definition of a "real" Mai Tai?

I have some pretty strict ideas about Mai Tais myself. :D

JJ

Well being a Tikiphile and a bit of a cocktail snob I drink the Trader Vic's version from 1944.

First it MUST have a mint garnish the pineapple slice and cherry optional.

1/2 oz Orange Curacao
1/4oz Orgeat
1/4oz simple syrup
(It's agreed that you can sub 1/2 oz Monin Orgeat for the Orgeat and simple)
1oz Jamacian Rum (Appleton Gold)
1oz Demerara Rum (Lemon Hart or El Dorado)
Fresh juice of one lime I normally use 3/4 oz as I juice a few limes in advance

Shaken with cubes strained into a double OFG filled with crushed ice

the first one will have the 151 Demerara float the rest... well that depends!!!

Kahana Royale Macadamia Nut Liqueur on the rocks. This stuff is hard to come by, have to buy it a case at a time as the liquer store refuses to carry it and it takes 2 months to get.

I use Kahana in a cocktail I created called the "Cheater Five" its a bit of work to make but boy is it yummy.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=32948&forum=10&hilite=cheater%205

and for those folks that are of AGE that like cherry-lime aid give the "Jungle Jetsetter" a try!!!

Jungle Jetsetter

1 ½ oz Lime Juice
½ oz Orgeat
¾ oz Maraschino Juice
½ oz Pineapple Juice
2 oz Coconut Rum

I add 1 oz 80 proof for a kick

This recipe came in the new Tikiyaki Orchestra CD

http://tikiyakiorchestra.com/listen.htm

Matt Clara
10-14-2009, 05:47 AM
Didn't matter what it was, as long as they were strong and kept comin'! So I quit. Now a days it's typically water after 5, though I will occasionally have hot tea, but then that's what I drink all day long, anyway...

I've been readin' the posts here, and good lord but mine is boring. I'm gonna have to rewrite that narrative!

RevWill
10-14-2009, 05:48 AM
I love a glass of Cabernet Sauvignon, Shiraz, or Pinot Noir.

pithaya9
10-14-2009, 05:55 AM
I use Kahana in a cocktail I created called the "Cheater Five" its a bit of work to make but boy is it yummy.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=32948&forum=10&hilite=cheater%205

Thanks for the link freedive I will be sure to give this one a try, looks real good. Love the Bart Simpson Chia in the background.

deach
10-14-2009, 06:02 AM
I wish i can taste what kool aid is. Im searching it up everywhere but it doesn't do justice.

Well my beverage is green tea with some honey. Soothes my throat and mind.

how does kool-aid taste like?

PM me your addresses and I'll send you some.

MDUke16
10-14-2009, 06:08 AM
Being as it is Fall here now, I would have to say some warm apple cider with a healthy dose of Sailor Jerry's in it. It's best if you buy some cider and let it simmer and get nice and warm/hot for a while with the Sailor Jerry's in it.

But, when it's not cool, I could go for some Pinot Noir or rum and coke or gin and tonic or some bourbon on the rocks.

ukuleG
10-14-2009, 06:09 AM
things like kool aid and mountain dew don't make it over to the uk makes me wonder what else we miss out on.

bunnyflower
10-14-2009, 06:16 AM
What I usually have: water

When I am splurging: Jarritos Pineapple, or Guaranį (import from Brazil, not the ucky one made in the US)

What rarely happens on special occasions: Rum Runner, or really anything "tropical" with rum in it. And coconut! Oh and served in a coconut! ;) Yummm.

Oh, and I do love a nice Shirley Temple too. Ever since I was a kid and felt all "fancy" getting one in a restaurant. I still get that feeling somehow when I have one!

When I drink beer, I try to make it Magic Hat somethingorother.

Magic Hat #9 Not Quite Pale Ale? I like that one; I think it has apricot in it.

molokinirum
10-14-2009, 06:41 AM
I just picked up some wild turkey honey bourbon. I think it may be a new favorite.

That sounds good!!:drool::drool::drool:

pithaya9
10-14-2009, 06:45 AM
What I usually have: water

When I am splurging: Jarritos Pineapple, or Guaranį (import from Brazil, not the ucky one made in the US)

What rarely happens on special occasions: Rum Runner, or really anything "tropical" with rum in it. And coconut! Oh and served in a coconut! ;) Yummm.

Oh, and I do love a nice Shirley Temple too. Ever since I was a kid and felt all "fancy" getting one in a restaurant. I still get that feeling somehow when I have one!

Magic Hat #9 Not Quite Pale Ale? I like that one; I think it has apricot in it.

Jarritos Pineapple and Vodka is really tasty.

Old Bird
10-14-2009, 07:05 AM
things like kool aid and mountain dew don't make it over to the uk makes me wonder what else we miss out on.

I think those two flavors, especially the kool aid, are things you'd only like if you grew up with them. They're really nothing special, but the memories they drag along with them make us still like them.

ukuleG
10-14-2009, 07:12 AM
I think those two flavors, especially the kool aid, are things you'd only like if you grew up with them. They're really nothing special, but the memories they drag along with them make us still like them.

i been thinking bout foods that don't make it over here,i always wanted to try a tootsie roll and well i miss lucky charm cereal as well they don't sell them here anymore. also i had some thing i think was called fluff before which was like marshmallow in a jar or something.

UKISOCIETY
10-14-2009, 07:19 AM

I can't do jack after Jack.

deach
10-14-2009, 07:24 AM
I can't do jack after Jack.

I'll do anything after Jack.

leftovermagic84
10-14-2009, 07:27 AM
I'll do anything after Jack.

me too...that's why I'm not allowed within 50 feet of the library anymore...

GrumpyOldMan
10-14-2009, 07:40 AM
I'm from Lancashire so I start off by getting our lass to mek us a couple of brews before necking a jar or three of MILD.

I do struggle to drink when playing though, I have to wait 'til I've finished and then have a slurp or two. Drinking whilst playing is a bit like a ventriloquist talking whilst drinking, it spills everywhere. Not enough hands you see.

Ian.

Boozelele
10-14-2009, 09:34 AM
Drinking and playing the uke is similar to drinking and playing pool. There is a point, usually after about 3 or 4 drinks, where you are really really good. I mean you can do no wrong! Jimi Hendrix would wish he was as good as you! The problem is that window is really small, and then after a couple sips of that 5th drink you suck even worse that when you were sober. But, the consolation is that from that point forward you just dont care! So that's the time when its best to play and sing really loudly while dancing around in your underwear.

And really at that point there is no reason to quit drinking. :)

Ahnko Honu
10-14-2009, 09:44 AM
PRIMO
http://santabarbarasurfer.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1054&stc=1&d=1234838223

Ukulele JJ
10-14-2009, 12:32 PM
Well being a Tikiphile and a bit of a cocktail snob I drink the Trader Vic's version from 1944.

First it MUST have a mint garnish the pineapple slice and cherry optional.

1/2 oz Orange Curacao
1/4oz Orgeat
1/4oz simple syrup
(It's agreed that you can sub 1/2 oz Monin Orgeat for the Orgeat and simple)
1oz Jamacian Rum (Appleton Gold)
1oz Demerara Rum (Lemon Hart or El Dorado)
Fresh juice of one lime I normally use 3/4 oz as I juice a few limes in advance

Shaken with cubes strained into a double OFG filled with crushed ice

the first one will have the 151 Demerara float the rest... well that depends!!!

I approve wholeheartedly.

:worship: :drool:

JJ

sukie
10-14-2009, 12:34 PM
I'm from Lancashire so I start off by getting our lass to mek us a couple of brews before necking a jar or three of MILD.

I do struggle to drink when playing though, I have to wait 'til I've finished and then have a slurp or two. Drinking whilst playing is a bit like a ventriloquist talking whilst drinking, it spills everywhere. Not enough hands you see.

Ian.

this post i like! too funny!!!

Ukulele JJ
10-14-2009, 12:35 PM
Jarritos Pineapple and Vodka is really tasty.

Jarritos Toronja (Grapefruit) with Tequila and lime FTW!

JJ

pithaya9
10-14-2009, 12:46 PM
Jarritos Toronja (Grapefruit) with Tequila and lime FTW!

JJ

I'll have to give this a try, Thanks JJ. What Tequila do you recommend?

mokai
10-14-2009, 01:15 PM
PM me your addresses and I'll send you some.

you're the best. I hope you know.

Ukulele JJ
10-14-2009, 04:04 PM
I'll have to give this a try, Thanks JJ. What Tequila do you recommend?

Considering that you're mixing it with a bunch of sugary, chemically soda... whatever's handy! This is not the time for top-shelf.

As a side note... It always kills me when people order heavily-mixed drinks with super-expensive booze. Bombay Sapphire and soda. Cruzan Single-Barrel and coke. You don't put Kobe beef in a meatloaf. :p

JJ

molokinirum
10-15-2009, 05:01 AM
Considering that you're mixing it with a bunch of sugary, chemically soda... whatever's handy! This is not the time for top-shelf.

As a side note... It always kills me when people order heavily-mixed drinks with super-expensive booze. Bombay Sapphire and soda. Cruzan Single-Barrel and coke. You don't put Kobe beef in a meatloaf. :p

JJ

:agree::agree::agree:
What a waste of good liquor!!! Folks if you want to mix the liquor with soda, juice etc, use the less expensive brands!! You really can't tell the difference.
Just get the best quality you can afford and drink it straight with a little ice!

spazus_maximus
10-15-2009, 05:13 AM
Bongwater with a splash of lime:drool:

UkuLeLesReggAe
10-15-2009, 05:14 AM
some good ol' coke.

Skrik
10-15-2009, 06:05 AM

Can't do jack after beer, which is why I only drink at the weekends.

Big_e
10-15-2009, 08:55 AM
Good strong hot coffee!

existence
10-15-2009, 09:50 AM
Another vote for Guinness....it's good for you!

6stringconvert
10-15-2009, 10:02 AM
Green Goblin cider, ice cold, straight from the bottle.

Blackwood gin, tonic, ice, and lime.

A decent margarita goes down well too :-)

mangorockfish
10-15-2009, 10:03 AM
Had my uke for 3 weeks and been on the truck, so its been coffee or coke. When I gt home, it will be Bush Light, Bud Light, or Ruby Red Vodka Tonic and a lot of 'em.

mokai
10-15-2009, 10:29 AM
Bongwater with a splash of lime:drool:

no lime for me

ichadwick
10-16-2009, 01:49 AM
Hmmm. Depends on the time of day and location.

Re: alcoholic beverages:
On the porch on a warm summer afternoon, it's likely beer (import or microbrewery stuff, not that fermented cardboard from the factory breweries). With a wedge of lime, of course.
Later in the evening or before dinner, it's likely wine (red preferred, something dry, but a chilled white is equally enjoyed). Likely Ontario VQA, New Zealand, Chilean, Argentinian, maybe Italian. Or homemade plonk.
Inside, after dinner: a snifter of premium 100% agave tequila (blanco preferred, but I'm equally moved by añejo and reposado at various times). Neat, of course. I may also enjoy the blanco in a caballito.

Non alcoholic:
Tea, probably green whole leaf, but I'm equally comfortable with most black teas. Might even have a Lapsang Souchong.
Pomegranate juice: straight, not a blend, just pure pomegranate. Tart and refreshing!
Water. Tap. Collingwood's municipal water is pure and clean. Might throw in a slice of lime if it's hot (the weather, not the water!).

Ukeffect
10-16-2009, 02:16 AM
You know...after some reflection and thought...when I'm not in a boozie mood I'll have an Arnold Palmer (50/50 lemonade and iced tea). Goes great on these hot Texas nights sittin' in my rockin' chair on the front deck! Makes it easier to potshot scorpions with a bb-gun, too! I hates me a scorpion...or a coral snake...or a packrat...or a tarantula...GOD, somebody in high tech hire me away from Intel so's I can get outta Texas! This place is tooooo wild fer me!
:wtf::anyone:
By the way...isn't this just WRONG!!?! Their motto is "worms are for wimps"!
http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu257/bruce_2009_01/scorpionmezcal.jpg:stop:

buddhuu
10-16-2009, 04:03 AM
I'm struggling to wait until 5 pm... :D

Howie1947
10-16-2009, 06:43 AM
Personally, I enjoy a couple of "crown royal" whiskeys with a couple of nice cold beers..........Howie

Ukulele JJ
10-16-2009, 11:59 AM
I'm struggling to wait until 5 pm... :D

Remember, it's always after 5 p.m.

5 p.m. the previous day, that is... :cheers:

JJ

psesinkclee
10-16-2009, 01:04 PM
lol. whatever is cheap and hard. i am a broke college student haha :cheers:

Uncle-Taco
10-16-2009, 02:07 PM
I can't understand this whole "one beverage at a time" philosophy most people have. ;)

I'll have a cuppacoffee, AND an Irish whiskey, AND a homebrew, AND a diet coke, usually.
(And I'll play my tenor, AND my soprano, AND my concert...):D

NewMexicoDawG
10-16-2009, 02:20 PM
Somebody said whiskey on the rocks... that sounds good.

When I drink beer, I try to make it Magic Hat somethingorother. Lucky Kat. That's good.

When it isn't booze, it's just water. I don't do soda.

Cant get it on the West Coast used to get it in Va alll the Time:iwant:

ukecantdothat
10-16-2009, 02:29 PM
I like to follow whatever is the current trend. Therefore, it's spalted mango juice for me.

rreffner
10-17-2009, 12:39 PM
When I was younger it was a little pakalolo and whatever was open. Now, it's sweet tea or coffie. :cheers:

ukecantdothat
10-17-2009, 12:45 PM
When I was younger it was a little pakalolo and whatever was open. Now, it's sweet tea or coffie. :cheers:
Mmmmmmmm... pakololo... Yeah, coffee works.

ukecantdothat
10-17-2009, 12:50 PM
Personally, I enjoy a couple of "crown royal" whiskeys with a couple of nice cold beers..........Howie
Howie's Ukes: KoAloha Superconcert. Kamaka Tenor, Kamaka Concert, Kamaka Soprano. KoAloha 6-string Tenor. KoAloha Concert, KoAloha Soprano. Martin 5K, Kanilea K-1 Tenor. And two vintage Martin Sopranos

Hey, Howie... Two Martin sopranos? Don't be a bogart, son. Pass it up here!