Koaloha Serial Numbers

existence

Reaction score
Just got my new (to me) Koaloha concert yesterday, and I can't seem to find a serial number on it. The date of production is stamped on the inside (Sept. 2006), but no number is visible. Am I just blind or does Koaloha not use serial numbers?

don't make us go there again!:biglaugh:

no, there isn't a serial number. just the month and year. koaloha paul will tell you though to take a dental mirror and peek deep into the neck to find it. it's not true.:D

do NOT let koaloha paul tell you otherwise!

don't you just love your new ukulele?

Last edited:
Oops, sorry--guess this is a common topic eh? Thanks for the reply!

I do love it--'twas love at first strum. I'm amazed by the resonance and richness of the tone, and I haven't even put new strings on it yet. It's tied with my Alhambra classical guitar for "Nicest Instrument I Own." :)

do not apologize!!! it's terribly hard to find stuff here. search, smerch!!!:D

it's only been chatted about once before that i'm aware of. i was teasing you.
i have a koaloha concert also. i love it.

Don't change those strings to fast. The factory flourocarbons rock!
I think what's on there now are Worth clear hard tensions installed by the previous owner. They sound good, but have that "cloudy" look that tells me they could use a change. Also, the intonation on the C string is a touch sharp at the octave, so i'm thinking a new set will help solve this.

Which reminds me...any string recommendations for this uke? I have a set of Fremont Blacklines I'm thinking of trying out, but I'm open to suggestions!

As Sukie implies, Worth Clears seem to be the general consensus string for Koalohas. It's what I've got on both of mine. And if that's what's on there now and you like it, it's something to consider.
But if they do need a change and you've got the Fremont's handy they might also be worth a try to see how they work for you. As I remember from various rounds of string experiments, the Fremonts have a similar sound to the Worth Clears, but were just a touch less bright overall which may or may not be what you're looking to get out of your Concert. (I was already thinking about giving them another whirl on one of the two to see.) I do have a Kelii soprano that they work perfectly on.

Maybe order up some Worth Clears and slap the Fremonts on in the mean time to see how they stack up. If they don't swap them out with the Worth's when they get there.

@Lanark:

Good suggestion. I think I will try out those Fremonts tonight. I have no idea why I'm so lazy about changing strings....it's always so hard to actually make up my mind to do it, then afterward I'm like, "Ahh, that wasn't so bad!" Fast forward a few months, and the process repeats itself.

Ah, the rhythms of the universe....

Thanks for all the replies. Me likey the Koaloha.

I totally got fooled with the mirror thing. I swear it took me at least 30 minutes to figure out that there's no number. D'addarios, and I'll never change

@Lanark:

Good suggestion. I think I will try out those Fremonts tonight...

Cool cool. Let us know how they work for you. I'm thinking I'll give them a shot on the less played of my concerts which is a little bit brighter than the other one to see if it evens it out some. I also picked up a set of the Worth "Fat" strings out of curiosity. Those are slated for the first Koaloha.
I'm procrastinating myself on my round of string changing. Just got my yearly string order in from Elderly and haven't quite gotten the gumption up to start the process even though it'd only take me an hour or so to do the three. (or more likely I do two until the strings settle on the other two and then change the third.)

I had tried Aquilas a while back, but unlike Ukulele Jim, I found that the extra bright with the Aquila's on top of the already bright Koaloha sound was a bit too much for my tastes. It's totally subjective, but I personally found it to be a bit harsh. But mileage varies...

I love a good mystery...

Let's get on it gang

ukulelemobile.jpg

...:deadhorse:

Top Bottom