The Original Gypsy `Ukulele

AKdocmike

Reaction score
Hey guys & gals...I just wanted to post the back ground info on "Gypsy `Ukulele" about how the song evolved from when I first wrote it. It started off as a warm up song and then turned into a full instrumental after Robb started playing some chords. I wrote it my sophomore year at Pacific University the night before one of our performances. We're weren't going to play it but then at the last minute decided to...it wasn't even done yet...but decided to play it as our last song. Most of it was made up on the fly and when we were done we got a standing ovation for it. From then on people kept asking us to play it. So here's one of the performances we did back in the day...this is how it was originally written: 1 Uke 1 guitar... enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GLMK0tII_M

I love the song. Too cool.

What do you string your uke with? It looks like it is a Kamaka custom of some sort. Is that right?

Can't wait to see more of your instrumental playing.

You folks should check out Acoustic Soul's (Mike Okouchi & Robb Shibayama) "Chapter One" released in 2002; great album. $14.98 @ Hawaii Music Island or download the MP3. Track 13 is killahs...

2277.jpg

Track List
  1. Intro
  2. When You Hold Me
  3. I've Got 2 B w/U
  4. Without You
  5. Meaning in My Life
  6. Monster Island
  7. Gypsy `Ukulele
  8. Rain
  9. Cry
  10. A Little Moment
  11. Still Be Mine
  12. Popcorn
  13. Careless Whisper

Last edited:
I love the song. Too cool.

What do you string your uke with? It looks like it is a Kamaka custom of some sort. Is that right?

Can't wait to see more of your instrumental playing.
I was using Savarez strings in that video. But now I'm using D'addario Pro Arte's since they came out with them. And yes, I play a custom Kamaka tenor. Hahaha...Chapter One was a blast to record but I was bummed that we cut out a bunch of cool tracks, especially for the `ukulele. But my Solo album should be a fun one, it's turning out good so far.

You guys should check out Kevin's videos of "Gypsy `Ukulele" He's amazing and does a better job than me!

Become a fan of my music on Facebook so you can keep up to date with the development of my solo album. I'll post some of the pre-mastered track samples on there and a bunch of videos that I have.

Man that's one of my favorite videos ever. I still need to try to learn how to play Gypsy Ukulele on my Gypsy Rose.:p

I first heard Gypsy when I got my hands on the yellow Legends CD. As soon as I heard the first few seconds of it I knew I had to figure it out. Thanks for such a great song Mike. I look forward to your new solo release.

Want to buy this album

You folks should check out Acoustic Soul's (Mike Okouchi & Robb Shibayama) "Chapter One" released in 2002; great album. $14.98 @ Hawaii Music Island or download the MP3. Track 13 is killahs...

Hi there, I would love to buy this album. Can anyone tell me where I might find the MP3's to buy? I am in the UK and they are not on Itunes or Amazon for me.
Thanks

Hi there, I would love to buy this album. Can anyone tell me where I might find the MP3's to buy? I am in the UK and they are not on Itunes or Amazon for me.
Thanks
Oops! My mistake, should've researched a l'il bit more on the MP3 downloads. They're not available. Just assumed, they would be.

Re: MP3 downloads

Oops! My mistake, should've researched a l'il bit more on the MP3 downloads. They're not available. Just assumed, they would be.

Hey guys & gals...so here's the story on MP3 downloads for our album: at the time when our CD's were pressed, sony music decided to try out an anti-piracy software on a few CD's. With that, our CD couldn't be played on a computer and couldn't be ripped to MP3. But since I have the files, I'm trying to get our stuff out there on places like iTunes.

Top Bottom