PDA

View Full Version : how do you treat your decent priced ukes

keithy351
10-14-2009, 02:11 AM
im curious to know how everyone treats there ukes, the more expensive ones, are you a closet case where it only comes out of the case indoors, out of harms way for a few strums or are your more like FTW and take it everywhere cause thats why you paid so much for a decent uke for everyone to enjoy. Personally after my purchase of a kanilea (still waiting arrival) ive been umming and arring on what im gonna be like, but i didnt by a nice instrament for a it to be a case uke, so i personally will take it everywhere with me, i bought it to play not for show after all. what are use like?

deach
10-14-2009, 04:29 AM
I treat them like all the others, poorly.

UkuCouS
10-14-2009, 04:54 AM
I bring my Kanile'a everywhere I go, in a wood hard case, even at home she's always in her case, when I've finished to play, back in her case.

Wherever I am outside or inside this allows me to use it, without any damage :)

wfwhitson
10-14-2009, 04:54 AM
Never knowing which one I might want I keep them on wall hangers or floor stands close to me, ease to reach. I bought them to play, not to just look at. I'm with Deach play it don't baby it, if it gets a ding, scrach so what.

Matt Clara
10-14-2009, 05:01 AM
Since things cooled off here in Michigan, I've been keeping my KoAloha concert in a case with a humidifier, right next to my computer, where I play it every day.

UkuLeLesReggAe
10-14-2009, 05:16 AM
they stay where i leave them, until i pick them back up

Skottoman
10-14-2009, 05:23 AM
All 7 of my ukes hang in gigbags on a coatrack I installed just for hanging ukes. So they all get the same treatment. I don't even have to take them off the rack to play them, just unzip the gig bag, and away I go.

Kind of fun to walk over to the rack and think... Hm..... which one will I play, as they are all as easy to access as the next one.

I guess someday I may run out of room on my rack, but I can just get a wider rack.

I love this setup, and they all stay out of harms way on the wall!
And when it comes to taking them out into the world, I have 2 fleas that I use for that purpose. Although I recently took the KoAloha down to the beach to play with a group here in Santa Cruz... SO, I guess I play them all wherever, whenever. Meant to be used, but I take care of them all the same. (Fleas are a little more durable though).

Cheers,
Skottoman

upskydowncloud
10-14-2009, 05:44 AM
im curious to know how everyone treats there ukes, the more expensive ones, are you a closet case where it only comes out of the case indoors, out of harms way for a few strums or are your more like FTW and take it everywhere cause thats why you paid so much for a decent uke for everyone to enjoy. Personally after my purchase of a kanilea (still waiting arrival) ive been umming and arring on what im gonna be like, but i didnt by a nice instrament for a it to be a case uke, so i personally will take it everywhere with me, i bought it to play not for show after all. what are use like?

My Kamaka never leaves the case unless I want to play it!

Lanark
10-14-2009, 05:51 AM
I take reasonable caution. I don't baby them, but I don't fling them about recklessly either. I play them because that's why they exist.

They mostly stay in the cases when I'm not playing, but I do take the Koalohas out in the world and have gigged with them. I just make it a conscious habit of putting them back in the case whenever I set them down rather than on the table or wherever when we're out and about though. It's kind of the least amount of precaution you can take.

Your Kanile'a is made of sturdy stuff. I don't think you'll have too many worries.

freedive135
10-14-2009, 05:59 AM
My KoAloha Soprano lives in basement bar where it stays in it's case unless I am playing it. Once in a blue moon I'll let her go outside to play a couple songs then back downstairs she goes.
A couple weeks ago after a few to many Mai-Tai's I forgot to put her back in the case and she was left out overnight, I felt so bad I wiped her down told her how sorry I was and lovingly put her back in the case.

May sound strange to some but here in Denver we complain if the humidity reaches 30% in the summer, as your eating a sandwich the bread dries out and that's indoors!!!
I feel this is how I have to treat her.

My Pono's do get outside more often but this is why I have a couple Laminate Kala's and a Flea!!

bbycrts
10-14-2009, 06:26 AM
I treat them like all the others, poorly.

Search for deach's uke trough. He treats them like they're pig slops...

My Kanile'as live in their cases when I'm not playing them, but I don't exactly baby them. It's just a convenient, safe place to put them when they're not being played.

GX9901
10-14-2009, 06:35 AM
My ukes stay in their cases when not played. I do play my best ukes the most by far. During the summer I often play my William King concert on my front porch while waiting for my dog to do his "business" on my front yard. :p

the.ronin
10-14-2009, 07:53 AM
I haven’t been playing long and I’ve owned a couple nice ukes for even less time. But so far, I keep the Kamaka and KoAloha in humidity controlled cases. I keep the Cordoba and Lanikai on stands. The Lanikai is the beater uke which gets to go to the beach and stuff. I once took the a Kala lacewood tenor (which I exchanged later) to the beach and that was a great hit – a couple of my surfing buddies from Hawaii play ukes and they loved it. The only other times the other ukes have left the bat cave is when I took the Kamaka to my parent’s house. I think I’ll take the Cordoba to a friend’s birthday party this weekend.

I’m obsessing less about proper cleaning materials and just wipe them down with a micro fiber at night before I go to bed.

Boozelele
10-14-2009, 10:44 AM
Mine never see their cases unless I am traveling. We are lucky in the PNW with the whole humidity issue...no worries here. The fluke goes with me in the car, I need something to play during the commute....oh wait...did I say that out loud?

"...wipe them down with a micro fiber at night before I go to bed." ????

Dude, seriousy??? I thought my OCD was bad. ;)

Ahnko Honu
10-14-2009, 10:51 AM
A samurai never unsheathes his sword unless he is ready to use it. I keep all my 'ukuleles in at least soft cases (keeps the roaches out, and dust off) until I'm ready to use it. Respect the sword, respect the 'ukulele. ;)

Ronnie Aloha
10-14-2009, 12:37 PM
As I write:

KoAloha soprano in case.
Two Pineapple Sundays in cases.
Kamaka on a stand near desk.
KoAloha hanging from desk clamp.

ChamorroDT
10-14-2009, 12:44 PM
What would you consider "decent priced" for a Soprano and a Tenor?...and a Tahitian Banjo?...what if someone gave me their Uke cause it's broken and said if I can fix it, I can keep it...does that fit into this category? Haha.

haole
10-14-2009, 12:55 PM
I play them, of course!

The Flea stays on my desk/table/nightstand so I can grab it whenever. It's fallen off a few times, but nothing's broken. It's built like a tank. The pineapple pattern is wearing where I rest my hand when I play.

Took my Kamaka soprano to the beach the day I bought it, and up until I bought the Flea, it went everywhere with me in a gig bag! Now I have a nice case for it, so I keep it in the case next to my bed. The finish is thinning where I rest my hand too, so I go easy on it lately.

My KoAloha tenor came with a super sweet O'ahu case, but I usually just leave it on the couch (I don't use it for sitting) so I can look at it and play it when I'm in the mood. Got it used, so another ding or scratch won't make me cry.

We have a room humidifier so the instruments are happy. But I don't obsess over things too much. If I had a Moore Bettah, you bet I would keep it on the couch and play it.

Lori
10-14-2009, 12:55 PM
I take very good care of all my ukes. When I am relaxing, I will lay out their cases on the bed, and open them as needed. The safest place for them is in a closed case. My go-to travel uke has been the Kala Kiwi. It's small, with it's gig bag, and since it is a laminate, no worries about drastic climate changes when I travel across town over the mountains (sometimes a good 20+ degree temperature swing). But, now that I am bonding with my new Kanile'a, who knows what I will end up doing? I just ordered a humidity gauge to keep in it's case so I can keep tabs on it.

–Lori

the.ronin
10-14-2009, 01:10 PM
"...wipe them down with a micro fiber at night before I go to bed." ????

Dude, seriousy??? I thought my OCD was bad. ;)

Dude. To keep debris from building up.

:D:o

mokai
10-14-2009, 01:18 PM
Search for deach's uke trough. He treats them like they're pig slops...

he used to but his upgraded trough w/ crushed velvet and giant humidifier is pretty nice indeed.

snowy_zoe
10-15-2009, 03:13 AM
my pineapple has a hanger on the wall and a gig bag, it's on the hanger at home but I take it to work with me everyday hence the gig bag. It didn't come with a case or bag so for a week I was carrying it around in a cardboard box.

My first "toy" purple lazy ukulele was feeling left out since I got my new uke so it is now my bathtime ukulele (that's normal right?):D

later
zoe

deach
10-15-2009, 03:18 AM
he used to but his upgraded trough w/ crushed velvet and giant humidifier is pretty nice indeed.

Although they sit in a nice spot, I still don't baby them.

ukuleG
10-15-2009, 03:34 AM
i'll let you know how i treat a decent priced ukulele if i ever get one.

buddhuu
10-15-2009, 04:36 AM
My uke is a simple Kala, but I think it's as decent as I deserve, and I totally prize it! :)

Mine stays out of the case while I'm home and awake as I usually have it on my lap whatever I'm doing. It usually goes in the case when I go out or when I go to bed. If the humidity drops really low it stays in the case a little bit more and has a home-made humidifier to keep it company. If humidity goes over 75% it gets a bag of silicagel dropped in with it.

When I gig, my Kala goes on a stand carefully positioned where the banjo player is least likely to kick it over...

For an out-and-about beater I use a Makala Dolphin.

molokinirum
10-15-2009, 06:17 AM
Mine stays in a hard case when not being used. I do take it to other homes to play and spread the great sounds!! The bottom line is when not in use it stays in the case!:cool:

UkuLeLesReggAe
10-15-2009, 06:24 AM
has an apple on it now! gets its nutrition.. so i take gud care of it

Skrik
10-15-2009, 06:28 AM
Decent priced? I don't have one. I have a decent uke, and am expecting three more, but they are all reasonably priced. I hang my ukuleles on the wall. I am king of this castle, so there is no one who can rightly complain.

uke552
10-15-2009, 06:42 AM
Gig bags or cases, the only way to go when not playing them. My most expensive uke is $250.00. Thats alot of money to me. I don't baby my ukes but why keep them unprotected when not in my hands?

Lori
10-15-2009, 07:03 AM
My first "toy" purple lazy ukulele was feeling left out since I got my new uke so it is now my bathtime ukulele (that's normal right?):D

later
zoe

I like that... a bathtime uke. You couldn't do that with a big plastic guitar (not in my enclosed tub / shower in my circa 1950's apartment anyway).

–Lori

MisoHappy
10-15-2009, 10:14 AM
She's a $400 Kala and my best friend :D

Rick
10-15-2009, 10:20 AM
I try to keep them safe as in not dropping them off a building. Remember! Chick's dig scars.

ukecantdothat
10-15-2009, 10:51 AM
I don't buy high-end ukes. For very little swag you can "get by" with something like a Mainland or Kala or Pono. Then kick it around as much as you want! My last uke got run over by my car (don't ask), so I just replaced it with a Mainland.

UkuleleHill
10-15-2009, 11:15 AM
My last uke got run over by my car (don't ask)
You post something like this and you don't think we are going to ask?!? :)

ukecantdothat
10-15-2009, 11:27 AM
You post something like this and you don't think we are going to ask?!? :)
OK... Here's the sad, sad story...

Once upon a time I was heading out to work. I loaded my backpack and uke, in a soft gig bag, onto the passenger's seat as always. Then, the uke must have fallen to the driveway as I went around to the driver's side... You can guess what happened next... I feel this small "bump" as I backed out. "That better be a cat," I thought. Nope. Just my luck. (Take it easy. I didn't really think that. I love kitties!) Needless to say, the uke is kindling, now, but I was able to salvage the tuners to upgrade my son's soprano, and that's getting me by while await my new Mainland, due any day now. Maybe there's a song in there somewhere.

There. Now I'm the dork who ran over his axe! Feel betta, now?

allinfun
10-15-2009, 11:41 AM
Ukes are like kids, you obsess over your first kid not allowing refined sugar, tv, and dragging them to the doctor for every bump. By the third kid you are feeding them cocoa puffs and chocolate milk with the Wiggles on TV as they run around the room with sharp scissors.

our most expensive uke is about 1500$ which is not exactly a princely sum compared to what several folks on here own, it gets the same attention the less expensive ones do, including time at the beach and being played by 7year olds.

Pippin
10-15-2009, 12:24 PM
Between my own personal ukulele assortment and the ukes for the magazine, I have a big assortment of solid-wood, laminated, and combo instruments here. They are all either in their original boxes or in a solid case.

By the way... I have a very special ukulele coming to me from Oscar Schmidt. We are giving this one away, too. It is an experimental OU-7 flame mango with a larger acoustic hole on the sound board. This is a one-of-a-kind uke at the moment and is one that Tom Ferrone calls a "work in progress". In other words, they toy with their ukulele designs and test the resulting performance then tweak things here and there to improve their ukuleles continually.

There are a few similar things happening with Ohana and Kala, too.

eleuke
10-15-2009, 06:07 PM
Time to admit it. I am totaly OCD about ALL my ukes, cheap, midrange, and what I consider expensive. (My $450 Pono was a stretch for my budget) I treat them all like they cost $10,000. They are either in my hands or locked away like the precious gems I consider them to be. Even my archtop Kala, which is the designated 'beach beater' looks like it just got taken off the pegs at the store. A mere fingerprint will send me off into a polishing tailspin frenzy. Guess I'm wierd that way. I do think that every 7 year old should have an uke in their hands, but a $1,500 uke? No offense, allinfun, it's just me that couldn't do that.

Big_e
10-15-2009, 08:05 PM
I only have the Lanikai LU-11. It gets fretboard oiled/polished when I change the strings. When I'm not playing it I keep it in it's case. I do insist on having clean hands when playing it.
With it's low gloss surface, it doesn't need much wiping down anyway.
Ernest

GrumpyCoyote
10-15-2009, 09:15 PM
Cases tend to do more harm than good here - they trap moisture and heat and hide any developing problems.

As for my ukes, I keep them in a stand sometimes, in a corner often, never in a case unless I need crush/impact protection while out of the house (the only thing cases really help with).

I don't polish them, but I do give them a quick dust and wipe when I change strings.

Ukes should be beat-up a bit in my opinion. I don't want gouges or cracks obviously - but scratches and dings happen. No point in worrying about it.

Get your ukes in stands...

Duddles
10-15-2009, 09:49 PM
I try to keep them safe as in not dropping them off a building. Remember! Chick's dig scars.

That is an awesome way to think about it... you are getting a +1, good sir.

ichadwick
10-16-2009, 02:31 AM
I usually treat my better ukes to dinner and a show every month, but I'm also prone to sharing a bottle of wine with the rest ona Friday evening after work.

PS. Your shift-key is broken. So is your apostrophe key. It's "their" not "there".

adamb007
10-16-2009, 02:51 AM
i treated mine to a day out on the boat. mine cost me $280 but that didnt stop me playin out whilst surrounded by salt water. i hope my wound C doesnt rust though i didnt catch anything but the uke passed the time :rolleyes:

mokai
10-16-2009, 03:20 AM
PS. Your shift-key is broken. So is your apostrophe key. It's "their" not "there".

there they're their where were wear to too two.. 9 words they don't seem to thoroughly explain in school

I keep mine in the cases they came in. I don't go out of the way to be careful, but I tend to treat all of my ukuleles nicely without thinking about it.

allinfun
10-16-2009, 09:25 AM
I do think that every 7 year old should have an uke in their hands, but a $1,500 uke? No offense, allinfun, it's just me that couldn't do that.

It's not like I let them take the thing out and swing it over their heads in a wwf move without me nearby to monitor their activity, they learn to be responsible and I'm ok with that. As a kid I was raised with a family who let us touch the pretty things but only with permission and proper consideration of the item we were holding. So I tend to lean that way too when it comes to kids.

ukecantdothat
10-16-2009, 10:02 AM
Cases tend to do more harm than good here - they trap moisture and heat and hide any developing problems.

As for my ukes, I keep them in a stand sometimes, in a corner often, never in a case unless I need crush/impact protection while out of the house (the only thing cases really help with).

I don't polish them, but I do give them a quick dust and wipe when I change strings.

Ukes should be beat-up a bit in my opinion. I don't want gouges or cracks obviously - but scratches and dings happen. No point in worrying about it.

Get your ukes in stands...
That's right. My ukes don't get a chance to be in a case very often. I keep 'em out where I can get my filthy hands on 'em! I don't keep 'em holed up in a basement (unless they've done something wrong). And I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who keeps one out while they're stuck in traffic. I live in L.A., so there's plenty of practice time to be wasted on the 101. Sometimes I get dirty looks, sometimes an extended thumb and pinky, but only when I'm at a stand-still. It's too hard to steer with my knee... Not that I ever tried...

ukecantdothat
10-16-2009, 02:48 PM
Never knowing which one I might want I keep them on wall hangers or floor stands close to me, ease to reach. I bought them to play, not to just look at. I'm with Deach play it don't baby it, if it gets a ding, scrach so what.
To paraphrase Ziggy Stardust:

The bitter comes out better on a swollen ukulele
You're the blessed, we're the Spiders From Mars

mrplatypus70
10-16-2009, 03:09 PM
I don't have any really expensive ukuleles but my two $200-$300 ukes are hung over my bed from leather shoestring pieces on picture hooks or nails, same as the $40 ones. When I take one somewhere they go in a case but at home they are always hanging. I still have a lot of wall left so that means I need more ukuleles!

ukecantdothat
10-16-2009, 06:06 PM

What do you get when you cross an owl & a bungee cord?

An endangered paddle ball.

eleuke
10-16-2009, 07:57 PM
It's not like I let them take the thing out and swing it over their heads in a wwf move without me nearby to monitor their activity, they learn to be responsible and I'm ok with that. As a kid I was raised with a family who let us touch the pretty things but only with permission and proper consideration of the item we were holding. So I tend to lean that way too when it comes to kids.

I see. Makes sense now. You exercise better parenting than I ever experienced as a kid. Tell your kids for me that I said they were very lucky to have you for parents. :)

eleuke
10-16-2009, 07:59 PM
That's right. My ukes don't get a chance to be in a case very often. I keep 'em out where I can get my filthy hands on 'em! I don't keep 'em holed up in a basement (unless they've done something wrong). And I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who keeps one out while they're stuck in traffic. I live in L.A., so there's plenty of practice time to be wasted on the 101. Sometimes I get dirty looks, sometimes an extended thumb and pinky, but only when I'm at a stand-still. It's too hard to steer with my knee... Not that I ever tried...

Victoria Vox practices while she drives....

ukecantdothat
10-17-2009, 08:03 AM
Victoria Vox practices while she drives....
While she drives??? Now that's what I call multi-tasking! Here in Cali, it's illegal to hold your phone to your ear while driving. Just ask the Governator's wife. I hope Victoria isn't also texting, putting on make up, changing the radio station, and hoagin' a breakfast burrito while she's practicing her claw hammer. This deserves its own thread, if it hasn't been discussed already. (I'm still a relative newbie to the forum.)