Help with strings please...

blueskyuke

Reaction score
I have 2 ukes: spanking new waverly street pineapple soprano that arrived yesterday and a Kala ka-st. I wanted to put a low g string on one of them. The Kala came with Aquila strings. My thinking is if i'm going to replace the g string, I might as well get all new strings (that's assuming you can get a packet of strings with a low g in it). What kind of strings would you suggest? I saw the thread on the Kala reds and they "look" very cool. What do you think? Also, how easy is it to replace the strings yourself?

I'm no expert but I looked at MGM's site and you can buy sets with low g. I've never changed my own strings but there is a lesson about it. I doubt it's that hard. The only thing that might give you some trouble is the thickness of the low g might not fit. I'm sure someone will expand on that if it's not in the lesson.

And seriously, changing strings is really really easy. It's one of those things where you can get yourself a bit worked up about doing for the first time and then when you're done you wonder what all the fuss was about.
I can't say that I was a fan of the Kala reds when I tried them. A lot of it was textural, but YMMV.

I have a Waverly soprano (#33, if I remember without looking) and I found that I like Fremonts on it. Gives it a good little bark. I don't know how that would go with your pineapple, but they work for me on that uke.

Aquila and Worth both sell low-G sets.

Thanks, everyone. Does it make more sense to put the low G string on the tenor or the soprano?

Thanks, everyone. Does it make more sense to put the low G string on the tenor or the soprano?

If you had to choose one, I'd go for the tenor to take advantage of the deeper tone.

I would suggest the tenor too the WS being a tad more difficult to restring for beginners.

Top Bottom