F sharp major argh.

wannaplay

Reaction score
So, the traditional way to play F# major is to barre the first fret, middle finger on the C string, second fret and ring finger on the G string, third fret. At least, that's what everyone tells me.

I can't seem to barre the first fret for the life of me. I can either barre the first fret and not reach my ring finger to the third fret G string, or I end up missing the A string at the bottom of my index finger on the barre.

Any tips?

I'm right there with you. I tried it yesterday for the first time, and it was almost impossible to hit the 1st and 4th string down. Today it's a little more do-able. I guess practice, practice, practice. Good luck!

You don't need to hit all four strings, especially since you've got two playing the same A#. Try just the A, E and C strings. It's a much easier shape.

The other positions don't look that much better...

You can also try a 9th, which adds a G#. That makes it a bar in the first fret and the second fret on the E string. Nice and simple, if it sounds good in context.

Is the reason why you cant reach your ring finger because of your hand position? I have small hands, it just took me a while to get used to.

I actually prefer to make an open G shape and use my pinky to press down the G string.

Pinky on G 3rd fret
Pointer on C 1st fret
Ring on E 2nd fret
Middle on A 1st fret

This probably isn't easier for everyone but it's an alternative that i've always preferred - try it out, you never know.

You can also try not barring the whole first fret. You're really only gunning for the A and C strings, so bar A, E, and C and forget about G. The shape's a lot easier for me that way.

I like to barre just the C, E, and A strings on the first fret, then use my middle finger for the E string second fret, and my ring finger for the G string third fret.

Photo106.jpg

F#argh

Wannaplay sounds like what someone said earlier, it could be your hand placement. To barre try placing your thumb (in an angle) on the back middle of the neck of the uke, right behind the first fret, then barre with your pointer and place your mid finger on C 2nd fret then ring finger on G 3rd fret. Hopefully this makes it a little easier. Good luck.

I think the issue is that I'm having trouble with the barre hold on the A string. It's like my index finger is too fleshy there and not really pushing down on the A string enough.

I think the issue is that I'm having trouble with the barre hold on the A string. It's like my index finger is too fleshy there and not really pushing down on the A string enough.

hah just keep squeezing and youll develop the right sound. use your thumb to help squeeze, and try to make your index flat on the fret.

You've got to use your knuckle on that string. The first knuckle on your index finger should be right on the A string.

I just tried this fingering and it's a lot easier for me. I have small hands.
Thanks!
I actually prefer to make an open G shape and use my pinky to press down the G string.

Pinky on G 3rd fret
Pointer on C 1st fret
Ring on E 2nd fret
Middle on A 1st fret

This probably isn't easier for everyone but it's an alternative that i've always preferred - try it out, you never know.

If you slightly rotate your finger a little backwards you get the pressure off of the fat soft part of the finger and toards the side edge where it barrs easier and is thinner. It's a very subtle change.

Thanks for the tips! Perhaps it will just take practice at this point. I managed to get one good chord, but man...getting to that shape on the go is going to be brutal :) My forearm is sore already.

Edit: Thanks seeso and ukuleleblues! Rotating and lowering my index finger totally made it possible! Now to work on switching...

Last edited:
Could also be an indication of overly high action on the nut end of things. I have one uke that I thought was horrible with first-fret bars, until I lowered the action on the nut end. Now it's sweet, and first fret bars are a snap. Still, I would practice awhile before I resorted to action-lowering. Bars, especially when you're new at it, can simply be a matter of finding the sweet spot where you bone and muscle structure fit the fretboard... Try shifting slightly the placement of your bar finger. Sometimes that helps.

You've got to use your knuckle on that string. The first knuckle on your index finger should be right on the A string.

I have this exact same problem getting the A- this is going to help a lot I think! This chord has been giving me trouble too for a few days..

Thank you!

Top Bottom