Leaning on the Everlasting Arms

Very nice, sir. Is that your church?

Yeah, that's one of them. I preach at two every Sunday, being a Methodist with a two-church charge.

I loved doing old-timey arrangements of those songs. That's kind of how I hear them in my head. There's this thing about Southern church culture and tiny congregations who know the hymnals by numbers rather than song titles. The preacher calls out for requests and someone shouts "TWO FOURTEEN" and the pianist, a blue-haired old lady who plays like Jerry Lee Lewis rips into the song without turning to the page.

That's not what my churches are like now, but I visited churches in my youth that operated exactly that way.

Perhaps an ukulele orchestra in your future?

It could really bring the youth (and the adults) together.

The preacher calls out for requests and someone shouts "TWO FOURTEEN" and the pianist, a blue-haired old lady who plays like Jerry Lee Lewis rips into the song without turning to the page.

That is awesome! Where can I find a church like that?

You have to get out of Chicago and come to Illinois :biglaugh:

That's a rural southern thing, usually in very, very conservative churches. An awful lot of those services end with an altar call, accompanied by all 25 verses (I keed, I keed!) of Just As I Am.

At our house we used to watch the first 20 minutes or so of Jimmy Swaggart - you know, the part that was all music. Once he started preaching we changed the station.

That is awesome!!

We sing this all the time at our church and I really like it both for the sound and the meaning. Would you happen to have it tabbed out? I'd love to play it.

[edit] Ok nevermind, I just found the guitar tabs and used the DXUUXU strum. Not fancy like yours but actually sounds cool. :D :D

Last edited:
Top Bottom