Wait Period for a Custom... 2-3 years?WHAT?

specialmike

Reaction score
So after today's Aldrine live lesson, I learned that a custom ukulele can take up to three years with certain companies. My question would be why? What's the typical time period for a typical ukulele to reach completion?

Furthermore... why in the world would it take 2-3 years to produce a CUSTOM!?!?!?!?! Don't they have priorities..... pbbsshh? High paying cust. vs a wholesale dealer? I suppose it could be bargaining power... but why even offer a custom if it's going to take forever do complete. How do you know that within that 3 year time frame... I won't lose my hands?:D

The company in question is Kamaka. Kanile'a supposed takes from 4-8 months... so why the huuuuge range? I mean... 24 months is quite a difference!

Anyone else know what the custom wait period is for the other... companies or luthiers who offer customization?

It is not so much the production time, just the demand. If they have 100 custom orders they can only fill so many at a time. Lets say they can produce 5 in a month, but 10 new orders come in. There is still a wait list. So they have to put the orders in order.

There are luthiers out there with similar wait lists (I know of 3 years and 1.5 years) and the lists are not getting shorter. There is a reason there is a wait list, incredible instruments made to the customers spec.

I think it is due to the high demand, and the small number made. It's like waiting at the bakery for a marble rye, it could take a while.

Exactly.

The reason some places take longer than others has nothing to do with the time it takes to build it.

You are essentially waiting in line for them to build you a uke.

I believe Kamaka is also in the process of looking for a larger space to expand production. I think during this time, they have enough on their hands.

Well, Kamaka says their repair time is 1 year. These are small shops, even Kamaka, so a custom takes one luthier away from making multiple ukes for the same time period. I know that Chris Kamaka also does repairs, shipping, quality control, etc. as well as some custom work.

The same is true for Paul at KoAloha.

People will usually wait for quality work. Have you ever moved to a new town and tried to find a good dentist? It's not uncommon for individual custom guitar builders to have waitlists of 5 years or more. Personally, I usually limit my list to about ten or 12 ukuleles at a time. This means the wait is seldom over 6 months and it's not much of a burden for either myself or the customer. Naturally this means I'm saying "no" to people a lot, but it keeps the time frame reasonable. That last thing I want as a self employed builder is to have to pass a wait list down to my grand kids! Who needs that kind of stress? It also allows me to be more flexible with my time structure and gives me some time to get creative with my own ideas.
IMO, 4 to 8 months for a custom from Kanile'a is pretty speedy. Joe Souza has done a lot in the last couple of years to streamline his operation.

What a timely conversation this is.

I just received my custom Glyph ukulele today. I paid my deposit for it in December of 2006. So that's darn near a 3-year wait.

Was it worth the wait? Hell YES.

The wait is so long because Dave Means has a tremendously long waiting list, and he takes special care in making his instruments. Each one is built to custom specifications.

The only sad part is I had to send it back because the cone assembly came dislodged during shipping. Now I need to wait another week. But I waited a few years, I think I can last another week. All good things come to those who wait, eh?

Oh, and this was the finished product:

http://www.jamesclark.com/2009/10/14/moons-and-stars-dobro-replica-part-6/

My list is about 3 years, currently closed for new orders. Most of us are in the same position. There's a limited amount of time in the day and only so much quality work can be done, without rushing.

My time in the shop is mostly dedicated to grading and milling from our rough stock. I try to put in at least an hour a day for other projects. Unfortunately, other projects are not just customs. While my production manager and showroom manager have been doing an outstanding job running the shop and crew, I'm only now feeling the freedom that they bring me.

When I do get to work on a full custom build, I put my skills to the test. For me, a custom commission is something special. It's a one off unique instrument built for a specific person. From the unseen mojo to the small aesthetic details, everything about that instrument should be tailored for that person. This isn't something you can rush out. Especially when your time is very limited.

I actually could crank out more customs, but I would lose the spirit of the builds. That isn't something I'm willing to sacrifice. If people are willing to wait the three years, they understand what makes a custom more than just a nice looking ukulele. I consider it an honor that I have a waiting list and I'm doing my best so it doesn't get to 4 years, but it doesn't look good.

I've started to train my newer staff to help me with special orders. It's a good starting point for them to gain experience doing new things like installing bindings, choosing wood, etc. During a custom build, I only have two other people touch the instrument. They are my two managers, who happen to be the two journeymen in the shop. Other than Brian and Griz, no one touches the instruments. Well, with the exception of Pops, who I have check my instruments when they're done. My dad has an awesome ear and feel. If I'm not on track, he'll give it to me straight.

My list is about 3 years, currently closed for new orders. Most of us are in the same position. There's a limited amount of time in the day and only so much quality work can be done, without rushing.

My time in the shop is mostly dedicated to grading and milling from our rough stock. I try to put in at least an hour a day for other projects. Unfortunately, other projects are not just customs. While my production manager and showroom manager have been doing an outstanding job running the shop and crew, I'm only now feeling the freedom that they bring me.

When I do get to work on a full custom build, I put my skills to the test. For me, a custom commission is something special. It's a one off unique instrument built for a specific person. From the unseen mojo to the small aesthetic details, everything about that instrument should be tailored for that person. This isn't something you can rush out. Especially when your time is very limited.

I actually could crank out more customs, but I would lose the spirit of the builds. That isn't something I'm willing to sacrifice. If people are willing to wait the three years, they understand what makes a custom more than just a nice looking ukulele. I consider it an honor that I have a waiting list and I'm doing my best so it doesn't get to 4 years, but it doesn't look good.

I've started to train my newer staff to help me with special orders. It's a good starting point for them to gain experience doing new things like installing bindings, choosing wood, etc. During a custom build, I only have two other people touch the instrument. They are my two managers, who happen to be the two journeymen in the shop. Other than Brian and Griz, no one touches the instruments. Well, with the exception of Pops, who I have check my instruments when they're done. My dad has an awesome ear and feel. If I'm not on track, he'll give it to me straight.

It's posts like this that make me realize some day I'll have to get a custom KoAloha. Someday...

:D

What a timely conversation this is.

I just received my custom Glyph ukulele today. I paid my deposit for it in December of 2006. So that's darn near a 3-year wait.

Was it worth the wait? Hell YES.

The wait is so long because Dave Means has a tremendously long waiting list, and he takes special care in making his instruments. Each one is built to custom specifications.

The only sad part is I had to send it back because the cone assembly came dislodged during shipping. Now I need to wait another week. But I waited a few years, I think I can last another week. All good things come to those who wait, eh?

Oh, and this was the finished product:

http://www.jamesclark.com/2009/10/14/moons-and-stars-dobro-replica-part-6/
Congrats on your new Glyph. What a beautiful work of art you have! I myself waited almost 2.5 yrs for my Mezzo. Yes, it was worth the wait, and Dave Means has tremendous customer service after the sale.

I'm on his list for another uke still 1.5 yr till start. I just forget about it once I sent the deposit and the time flies by.. more time to think up what I want exactly. :)

Like the others said, the wait is the list, not the production time. There are customers who are willing to wait for what they want. Years back, David Hurd of Ukuleles By Kawika also had a three year wait list, that's when he put a cap on the list. For one man shops like Glyph, King, and Moore Bettah, who only make 40 or so instruments a year, that list could quickly fill up. An alternative would be to purchase a used custom, although it won't be your custom, you'll still get a unique instrument, problem is, most owners don't sell such a beloved instrument.

I'm into month two of my custom, hopefully ready by new years. :D

As a maker of custom instruments myself, I can tell you that there are a lot of factors involved in a waiting time.
Some makers are one man operations, and only doing it part time. After a full time job, family obligations and personal life, there are precious few hours left to work on instruments. Depending on how much power equipment the maker has or uses, how much detail work like inlay the instrument involves, how many orders the maker has in his/her queue, several years is entirely possible.
Some of the custom operations use CNC machining for at least part of the process, have hired help to do some of the operations etc, and these can speed up the process.

Top Bottom