UU members who met Jake Shimabukuro

Have you?

• Met Jake, and got my Ukulele signed

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • Met Jake, and got my cd/dvd signed

Votes: 8 12.1%
  • Saw him in concert, but didn't get to meet him.

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 38 57.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

acabooe

Reaction score
Hey, I was just wondering something.

I was just wondering how many members of Ukulele Underground have, met Jake Shimabukuro, gotten something signed by him, etc.

Aloha
Acabo'oe

I am going to see Jake on Sunday night. Wow! I'm pretty excited. Do I dare ask him to sign my lowly ukulele? It's just a student concert ukulele that I got in Honolulu. It seems like a fine little instrument to learn on, but to have "The Master" sign it? Will I be embarrassed?

Met him when I was a little kid when he worked at House of Music at Ala Moana.

I am going to see Jake on Sunday night. Wow! I'm pretty excited. Do I dare ask him to sign my lowly ukulele? It's just a student concert ukulele that I got in Honolulu. It seems like a fine little instrument to learn on, but to have "The Master" sign it? Will I be embarrassed?

I think most people ask Jake to sign lower end ukes. I doubt many actually ask him to sign an expensive Kamaka or something like that. You should absolutely ask him to sign your student uke.

Me? I'm going to try to have him sign my cigar box uke this Sunday! Can't wait! :D

i had him sign my 15 dollar ukulele from philippines :D, But i wish he would come back to washington state so i can get my kala signed.

I've been fortunate enough to meet and spend time with Jake a number of times. These pics are from the second time I saw Jake at this same Border's store and the first time I acutally introduced myself to him. This was about 3 or 4 months after the famous Weeps video from Central Park was posted on the Ukulele Disco site. I had been working furiously on the tab and just finished it days before this concert.

In this pic I am playing a snippet of Weeps for Jake on my Fluke.
P6121258.JPG

And this pic is right after I presented Jake with a copy of the transcription. It was an awesome day to say the least. Too bad the pic turned out so blurry.
P6121259.JPG

He used to live right next to my old school so one day, before he became huge and started traveling, he was riding his skateboard in Kaimuki to the post office. Being quite immature, my friends and I grabbed a piece of paper and had him sign it for us. He even let us ride his long board around the library parking lot. He's one of the coolest, most talented guys I've ever met.

i got my uke signed and it came off, stupid me. but i still got his gently weeps cd signed teehee

I wish!

I might be going to his show thats a part of the roots & blues festival in salmon arm, BC (in canada) on the 17th of august...

but im working the whole summer to save for college so i dont know...

Since I guess this is kind of turning into a Jake experience thread. I'll tell you about the first time I met him back in 1999. Keep in my that at this time, Jake is not the superstar famous Jake that everyone knows.

My friends and I were huge Pure Heart(Jake's band at the time) fans in high school. So much so, that when we found out that they were flying to Kauai to do a show at Borders Books and Music, we decided we need to get there super early. This was Pure Heart we're talking about, how can the place NOT be packed.

So we got there at like 9:00 in the morning, right when the place opened. Pure Heart was scheduled to play around 2:00pm or 3:00pm. So we waited there at Borders. Man we were so smart, we got there early.... or so we thought.

When 1:30 rolled around, we were pretty much the only people there who even knew Pure Heart was going to be performing. We watched them set up. They played their set and for us it was like watching the Beatles play in the 60s. It was scrumtrulecent.

After their show, they were at a table, signing autographs and taking pictures. We went up to take a picture with them and then Jake said, "We heard you guys were here really early"

We were kind of embarrassed. Being the ONLY people who waited for them. Then Jon Yamasato, the lead singer said, "Hey what are you guys doing tonight? You wanna come over to the hotel room and jam with us?" They gave us their room # and told us to stop by later.

We nearly pooped our pants in excitement. I remember driving back to my parents house and busting in the door screaming that I was going to go play music with my idols. My dad was like, "Yeah right" and my girlfriend at the time came into the house and said, "yeah they are..."

I grabbed my guitar and flew back out the door and drove as fast as I could to the hotel to meet them with my friends.

I remember when we got there, the first time we called they didn't answer the phone. We were crushed. Then by chance, Jake and Lopaka came walking by and saw us in the lobby. They invited us to go up to the room.

Needless to say, Jamming with someone whos music you really admire is something I hope you all can experience. Jake was a super nice guy back then and still is today. In fact, because of the fact that we showed up super early to a show that noone else cared about, both him and Jon remembered me many years later when I eventually moved back to Oahu after college.

Theres tons more stories about I could tell about what a nice guy Jake is, like the time he bought lunch for all of Aldrine's friends because he didn't eat lunch yet himself and didn't want to eat alone, But those will all have to wait for another time.

Damn this post is ginormous.

ima check him out when he goes to el camino then i can put it on this thred any one else going?

Since I guess this is kind of turning into a Jake experience thread. I'll tell you about the first time I met him back in 1999. Keep in my that at this time, Jake is not the superstar famous Jake that everyone knows.

My friends and I were huge Pure Heart(Jake's band at the time) fans in high school. So much so, that when we found out that they were flying to Kauai to do a show at Borders Books and Music, we decided we need to get there super early. This was Pure Heart we're talking about, how can the place NOT be packed.

So we got there at like 9:00 in the morning, right when the place opened. Pure Heart was scheduled to play around 2:00pm or 3:00pm. So we waited there at Borders. Man we were so smart, we got there early.... or so we thought.

When 1:30 rolled around, we were pretty much the only people there who even knew Pure Heart was going to be performing. We watched them set up. They played their set and for us it was like watching the Beatles play in the 60s. It was scrumtrulecent.

After their show, they were at a table, signing autographs and taking pictures. We went up to take a picture with them and then Jake said, "We heard you guys were here really early"

We were kind of embarrassed. Being the ONLY people who waited for them. Then Jon Yamasato, the lead singer said, "Hey what are you guys doing tonight? You wanna come over to the hotel room and jam with us?" They gave us their room # and told us to stop by later.

We nearly pooped our pants in excitement. I remember driving back to my parents house and busting in the door screaming that I was going to go play music with my idols. My dad was like, "Yeah right" and my girlfriend at the time came into the house and said, "yeah they are..."

I grabbed my guitar and flew back out the door and drove as fast as I could to the hotel to meet them with my friends.

I remember when we got there, the first time we called they didn't answer the phone. We were crushed. Then by chance, Jake and Lopaka came walking by and saw us in the lobby. They invited us to go up to the room.

Needless to say, Jamming with someone whos music you really admire is something I hope you all can experience. Jake was a super nice guy back then and still is today. In fact, because of the fact that we showed up super early to a show that noone else cared about, both him and Jon remembered me many years later when I eventually moved back to Oahu after college.

Theres tons more stories about I could tell about what a nice guy Jake is, like the time he bought lunch for all of Aldrine's friends because he didn't eat lunch yet himself and didn't want to eat alone, But those will all have to wait for another time.

Damn this post is ginormous.

dang thats so cool i can only wish to be as lucky

Top Bottom